OFFICIAL ANTHONY BROWN THREAD - (WAIVED - p49; WAIVED AGAIN - p65)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject:

BS's spirit leaves on.
if we win less games than the avg of last couple BS years, management has to go
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject:

It was fun while it lasted. AB could've been a staple with the young core, but let's not lie to ourselves. He had all the opportunities just as our young guys to show something and he really never was able to put together anything. I can't even think of one thing he was good at, that includes intangibles like energy, chemistry etc... dude this training camp/pre-season was the definition of expendable. He's really a D-League--Dime a dozen type.

I'm ok with Metta, listening to Luke's interview makes a lot of sense. He's going to be basically a jersey'd up assistant coach. Luke stated players will tend to listen to one of their own, 'veteran players' when tough times arise a bit more then the coaches... this and his recent history with the Lakers, and upper management all contribute to them deciding on having Metta around over AB.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The majority of that waived talent out there are nothing more than kids. I think we are at our max with youth at this point.

Luke is starting 3 guys on the wrong side of 30, then when you add in Swaggy & Calderon/Huertas, 6 guys that look to be in the 10 man rotation are over 30. The whole focus on the youth development, and we are "a really young roster" pretty much died this summer.

Wait, you don't want him to start Deng or Mozgov? You don't want him to play Calderon or Young? Why...?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:40 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
dood23 wrote:
Seemed like a good kid, but never get too attached to second rounders that made maybe 8 shots as a Laker.

Honestly, I don't get it. You'd think after people hyping up the "potential" of guys like Devin Ebanks and Derrick Caracter that they'd learn not to grow attached to, or even develop expectations, for second rounders. It's being kind to call Brown a marginal NBA player. The same way it would be kind to refer to Ebanks and Caracter in that fashion.

So who else did the Lakers develop during that period....these were all late 1st/2nd round picks. Seems like Luke...maybe Bynum. Here is the thing about Ebanks, I watched the kid from his first game in college, and he had a ton of raw talent, and he started as a Freshman in college on a solid WVU team...then he go drafted, and it appeared he got the PJax special as a rookie, which is basically when Phil didn't know your name, and then his second year was when the bottom began to fall out with Mike Brown.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
BS's spirit leaves on.

You should start a kickstarter to rent billboard space near the Staples Center advocating firing management. That would be totally effective.
maomao
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
maomao wrote:
BS's spirit leaves on.

You should start a kickstarter to rent billboard space near the Staples Center advocating firing management. That would be totally effective.

did it work for BS?
I can't take any more BS seasons like the last couple.

but sure, mwp over ab. way to go BS.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:47 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
The majority of that waived talent out there are nothing more than kids. I think we are at our max with youth at this point.

Luke is starting 3 guys on the wrong side of 30, then when you add in Swaggy & Calderon/Huertas, 6 guys that look to be in the 10 man rotation are over 30. The whole focus on the youth development, and we are "a really young roster" pretty much died this summer.

Wait, you don't want him to start Deng or Mozgov? You don't want him to play Calderon or Young? Why...?

If Deng starts at the 3, then I hope it is very limited minutes. I do not think Deng is an above average starter, especially at the 3 in this league. If I was the Lakers, I would extend his career with an "off the bench" role. I dont think the poor production he had in the preseason during his limited minutes is about rust or an outlier. Circle back to me about 20 games in, and let me know how you think he looks. I would start Mozgov, and definitely would not start Lou.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Rest in peace A Brown

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

If Deng starts at the 3, then I hope it is very limited minutes. I do not think Deng is an above average starter, especially at the 3 in this league. If I was the Lakers, I would extend his career with an "off the bench" role. I dont think the poor production he had in the preseason during his limited minutes is about rust or an outlier. Circle back to me about 20 games in, and let me know how you think he looks. I would start Mozgov, and definitely would not start Lou.

I don't really agree with all of adkindo's points here, but I will say that Deng has alarmed me a little bit on the court this preseason. He hasn't exactly looked spry or comfortable on the court yet. I know preseason's a time to shake off the rust, but he's looked slow and inefficient so far. Plus skipping some games for "rest" purposes, I think I would have rather seen him get some burn in limited minutes. I think Deng's pace, if it continues like this, might actually bog down the starting lineup a bit, more than Lou actually.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

So Deng is merely an average NBA starter then? He was decidedly above average last season, but he was a year younger and played his best minutes at PF, true. But what does that have to do with him starting and playing solid minutes on this Lakers team over a teenage rookie who will be a huge negative?
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
Lol this thread is proof positive that people here overrate talent because they're young and because we happened to draft them. Brown seems like a nice guy and I'm sad for him to be cut, but he didn't produce nearly enough to warrant how upset some people are.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Rest in peace A Brown

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

I don't really agree with all of adkindo's points here, but I will say that Deng has alarmed me a little bit on the court this preseason. He hasn't exactly looked spry or comfortable on the court yet. I know preseason's a time to shake off the rust, but he's looked slow and inefficient so far. Plus skipping some games for "rest" purposes, I think I would have rather seen him get some burn in limited minutes. I think Deng's pace, if it continues like this, might actually bog down the starting lineup a bit, more than Lou actually.

My guess is that preseason is preseason, and that Young's performance is a bit of pyrite while Deng ends up being the best Laker this season by RPM and RAPM. But we'll see starting Wednesday.

Also, in no world can Deng bog down a lineup more than Lou Williams can.
shortodom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Good AB sucked. It seemed like everytime he'd shoot he'd hit the side of the backboard. His defense was overrated as well. Glad i dont have to watch him play again
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject:

He just never looked comfortable out there. The weird part is he actually shot the 3 well in his limited opportunities in the preseason.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Man, I'm surprised by this. Watch him go to San Antonio and shoot lights out. I loved his defense but for someone known as a shooter, he was highly inconsistent. Not gonna lose sleep over it but I wish him the best.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject:

can we cut him again tomorrow? I just want to savor that moment when you first find out he's been cut, one more time...
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject:

I honestly never understood why so many on here touted the guy

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
foshowtime wrote:
saetarubia wrote:
@shahanLA
seeing a ton of chatter asking why Lakers didn't just make Metta an assistant...Anyone who has talked to Metta knows he still wants to play.

Then tell him Good Luck. Maybe he can make it as the 15th man on whatever team Yi goes to in China.

The Lakers are STILL held hostage by former players, and METTA has been a FORMER PLAYER.

If Anthony Brown can't beat out a guy who'll be 37 in two weeks, that's on him.

but he did outperform him...I saw a Staples Center Usher toss one up one handed during halftime that was more impressive than MWP.

What were their stats during preseason?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
KBH wrote:
Lol this thread is proof positive that people here overrate talent because they're young and because we happened to draft them. Brown seems like a nice guy and I'm sad for him to be cut, but he didn't produce nearly enough to warrant how upset some people are.

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject:

maomao wrote:
maomao wrote:
BS's spirit leaves on.

did it work for BS?

Overreaction, right on cue.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject:

nash wrote:
It was clear for me this preseason that Yi, Brown and MWP aren't NBA caliber players even in a 17 win squad, but MWP has an history here winning a ring over Boston so he may have a good influence in the locker room.

Exactly. None of the other vets have been a key part of winning an NBA title, much less been the MVP in Game 7 of the Finals who basically saved the day for the Lakers.

There's value in that experience, along with his being the best defender in the NBA at one point. Those things earn Metta a level of respect that perhaps the other vets don't get because they've all been solid vets, but none have ever been elite players like Ron once was.

Also- he's the only US-born vet we have, and there's value in that, as he will have more in common with the young guys than someone born overseas will.

Not saying any of the other vets can't be good mentors or role models- just saying that none are probably at Ron's level, which is why he's still on the team.

I'm good with it. Chemistry, mentors, ledaership is important. I trust Luke.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

This is the thinking that scares me most about the Lakers. They seem to be obsessed with having veterans especially old Lakers
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Artesties wrote:
Brown was terrible. It sounds like Metta is a better influence as a player/coach than he is only a coach. Fine move by me.

Except when he plays, he is the worst shooter on the team and chucks it more than NY and Lou combined.

I guess its time for Mettas farewell tour.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
Artesties wrote:
Brown was terrible. It sounds like Metta is a better influence as a player/coach than he is only a coach. Fine move by me.

Except when he plays, he is the worst shooter on the team and chucks it more than NY and Lou combined.

I guess its time for Mettas farewell tour.

He's not on the team to win games. He's just there for practice, veteran presence, etc. Brown's problem was he brought so little to the court that he wasn't worth even that (in the FO's eyes)
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
maomao wrote:
maomao wrote:
BS's spirit leaves on.

did it work for BS?

Overreaction, right on cue.

Now now- give Mrs Brown a break. She's had a rough day with her son being cut and all.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:29 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
nash wrote:
KBH wrote:

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 60 of 67
Jump to: