OFFICIAL ANTHONY BROWN THREAD - (WAIVED - p49; WAIVED AGAIN - p65)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
tox wrote:
nash wrote:
KBH wrote:
Lol this thread is proof positive that people here overrate talent because they're young and because we happened to draft them. Brown seems like a nice guy and I'm sad for him to be cut, but he didn't produce nearly enough to warrant how upset some people are.

I have a similar perspective on Zubac and Ingram this year.
If Zubac isn't good enough to break into the rotation and Ingram isn't good enough to start. I don't want them in those roles anyway.
We're probably a 20 something win roster. It's not a high bar for either player to jump. And it's up to them to clearly outplay their teammates for the job.
Same goes for Nance. If he wants Randle's starting job he should go out on the floor and outplay/destroy his matchup consistently. Take all question out of the equation and undoubtedly establish himself as the best PF on the team.
Non lottery guys like Zubac and Nance should feel lucky they don't have to find a way to break into a rotation for a playoff team.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:00 pm    Post subject:

Never thought much of Anthony Brown. Hope he would be a good 3 & D guy but he never developed. At worse, he's a Stanford grad, young (24), and should have a few hundred K in the bank.
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Amazing how many people are upset about Brown being cut. He was essentially the fourth string SF and cannot play another position. He really doesn't have the handle to play SG and is too small to play PF. Deng/Ingram/Young can all play multiple positions. Brown did nothing to earn a spot on this team.

As for MWP? Don't kid yourself if the team needs to make a move, they will release him tomorrow. I wouldn't doubt the thinking was cut Brown now so he can either go to the D-league or sign on with another team. MWP is there to coach and be a good influence. He isn't seeing minutes unless something really bad happens.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:03 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
tox wrote:
nash wrote:
KBH wrote:
Lol this thread is proof positive that people here overrate talent because they're young and because we happened to draft them. Brown seems like a nice guy and I'm sad for him to be cut, but he didn't produce nearly enough to warrant how upset some people are.

If Zubac isn't good enough to break into the rotation and Ingram isn't good enough to start. I don't want them in those roles anyway.
We're probably a 20 something win roster. It's not a high bar for either player to jump. And it's up to them to clearly outplay their teammates for the job.
Same goes for Nance. If he wants Randle's starting job he should go out on the floor and outplay/destroy his matchup consistently. Take all question out of the equation and undoubtedly establish himself as the best PF on the team.
Non lottery guys like Zubac and Nance should feel lucky they don't have to find a way to break into a rotation for a playoff team.

Well, with Yi out of the way there are probably more minutes for Zubac now
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Were AB 19-20 we probably would have kept him. But at this point I'm guessing the FO could tell he was never going to evolve beyond a deer in the headlights.

It's too bad, I thought he had a nice shot release that may have developed into something eventually. If his heart is really into basketball we might see him around the league a few years from now.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject:

P.K. wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I don't think he'll be in the rotation to start the season. Mozgov and Black will get Center minutes.
And I think we'll go small for some of our rotation as well. Randle or Nance at the 5. Ingram or Deng at the 4.

But if Zubac starts dominating in practice. I'm sure Luke will give him a shot as the season goes on.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
P.K. wrote:
kikanga wrote:

I don't think he'll be in the rotation to start the season. Mozgov and Black will get Center minutes.
And I think we'll go small for some of our rotation as well. Randle or Nance at the 5. Ingram or Deng at the 4.

But if Zubac starts dominating in practice. I'm sure Luke will give him a shot as the season goes on.

Just guessing here, but when games are out of reach he'll probably get time - both for the experience and to protect the starters.
and, let's be honest, an awful lot of games are likely to be out of reach pretty early
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject:

So let me get this straight, the Lakers waived their best guard defender still with some development left in favor of a guy who should be no where near an NBA court b/c he can provide veteran leadership? The same veteran leadership we paid 136M for in average talent in Deng/Mozgov?
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:43 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
So let me get this straight, the Lakers waived their best guard defender still with some development left in favor of a guy who should be no where near an NBA court b/c he can provide veteran leadership? The same veteran leadership we paid 136M for in average talent in Deng/Mozgov?

I'm don't blame our FO for letting Brown go.
Even though MWP is older than our coach
It's on Brown for not distinguishing himself as a valuable asset on the court.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:

Are you still going on about Deng/Mozgov? It's almost November.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:59 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Honestly surprised that Brown got cut, if he can find consistency with his three point shot, he'll have his role in the NBA. Best of luck to him

Typical reported/reputed/supposed shooter type who shot poorly as soon as he put on a Laker uni. He was a particularly putrid example, to boot. He put up treys with his standard shooting form (not enough D to alter his releases) that hit the glass and foam strip to the lower sides of the rim numerous times. Billy and Stu saying he needed to start looking like he belonged in the NBA was about as negative as those chuckleheads could possibly get on the air regarding a Laker player.

Last edited by non-player zealot on Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
If over the course of this next season, having MWP present and on the team makes the young core better, than he would provided more value to the future of the franchise than Brown.

Think of MWP like mustard, and the young core are a bunch of different sandwiches.

Mustard is pretty useless on it's own, but it can improve a sandwich. It might not, maybe one of the young guys is a PB&J, or maybe one already has some of that grey poupon and doesn't need any yellow mustard. If one or two of them, however, are a bit dry or lack some tang, like a pastrami or ham and cheese, then he provides a lot more value than adding another crappy sandwich top the mix, like bologna on white.

Would you rather have a ham and cheese and pastrami with mustard, or a plain ham and cheese, plain pastrami and plain bologna on white?

Now I know there are people out there who don't like mustard, they prefer mayonnaise. They don't see the value that mustard can add to the dish. Fortunately, my boy Coach Luke knows that often the difference between a bad/ok sandwich and a good lunch can be a little addition of mustard.

People are expecting to eat a spoonful of mustard, but all Luke wants to do is spread it around our sandwiches.

Underrated post.

Problem is the mustard is expired.
Tiez
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:04 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
tox wrote:
nash wrote:
KBH wrote:

Big difference is: AB came into the league at the age of 23. Zubac and Ingram both are only 19 years old.

I don't really mind that AB got cut. A nice guy, but no real upside there. Only thing that still stings a bit is the knowledge that we could have had Norman Powell in his place (but hey, this is 'what if' history, bit useless )
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:08 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Roon wrote:
If over the course of this next season, having MWP present and on the team makes the young core better, than he would provided more value to the future of the franchise than Brown.

Think of MWP like mustard, and the young core are a bunch of different sandwiches.

Mustard is pretty useless on it's own, but it can improve a sandwich. It might not, maybe one of the young guys is a PB&J, or maybe one already has some of that grey poupon and doesn't need any yellow mustard. If one or two of them, however, are a bit dry or lack some tang, like a pastrami or ham and cheese, then he provides a lot more value than adding another crappy sandwich top the mix, like bologna on white.

Would you rather have a ham and cheese and pastrami with mustard, or a plain ham and cheese, plain pastrami and plain bologna on white?

Now I know there are people out there who don't like mustard, they prefer mayonnaise. They don't see the value that mustard can add to the dish. Fortunately, my boy Coach Luke knows that often the difference between a bad/ok sandwich and a good lunch can be a little addition of mustard.

People are expecting to eat a spoonful of mustard, but all Luke wants to do is spread it around our sandwiches.

Underrated post.

MWP is like Gulden's brown on a bratwurst with sauerkraut and potatoes and a stein of German beer. Just in my opinion, of course...
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
tox wrote:
nash wrote:
KBH wrote:

The nail in the coffin for AB is that he was 24 and came in supposedly NBA ready --- shooting & defense should mostly translate by the end of a year. But he's looking like a project (at best, he's a Danny Green reclamation project, and that's optimistic), so I can see why he was on the bubble. I see what you're saying, but unlike AB (limited upside), Ingram, Zubac, and Nance in their respective roles all have developmental upside. In that sense, it makes sense to give them minutes even if the bar isn't high.

BTW, Nance has already firmly placed himself in the rotation (and would be on any roster). My personal opinion is that the only reason he doesn't start in place of Randle is because it would hurt Randle's ego and be detrimental to his growth in the long run, whereas Nance doesn't really care. I have no idea if my speculation is correct, but regardless, I think Nance has done plenty to distinguish himself.
ainsley
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject:

Disappointing, but not too surprising. I still wish Metta would accept an asst. coaching position to open up a roster spot for AB. Oh well
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject:

Really sucked for AB, even Ryan Kelly lasted longer on the Lakers.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:19 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
Amazing how many people are upset about Brown being cut. He was essentially the fourth string SF and cannot play another position. He really doesn't have the handle to play SG and is too small to play PF. Deng/Ingram/Young can all play multiple positions. Brown did nothing to earn a spot on this team.

As for MWP? Don't kid yourself if the team needs to make a move, they will release him tomorrow. I wouldn't doubt the thinking was cut Brown now so he can either go to the D-league or sign on with another team. MWP is there to coach and be a good influence. He isn't seeing minutes unless something really bad happens.

I don't know if one should be upset about Brown being let go, but I see how anyone can say that giving a roster spot to MWP is anything but waste. It was a waste of a roster spot already last year. Trust me, Metta has not become any better over the year. If he is kept for tutoring and coaching, as seems to be the case, he should be a coach. He is not a valuable player anymore.

So it sure is not only about letting Brown walk. It is as much about keeping MWP over Brown. And the latter is pure nonsense.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KBH wrote:
dood23 wrote:
Seemed like a good kid, but never get too attached to second rounders that made maybe 8 shots as a Laker.

Honestly, I don't get it. You'd think after people hyping up the "potential" of guys like Devin Ebanks and Derrick Caracter that they'd learn not to grow attached to, or even develop expectations, for second rounders. It's being kind to call Brown a marginal NBA player. The same way it would be kind to refer to Ebanks and Caracter in that fashion.

So who else did the Lakers develop during that period....these were all late 1st/2nd round picks. Seems like Luke...maybe Bynum. Here is the thing about Ebanks, I watched the kid from his first game in college, and he had a ton of raw talent, and he started as a Freshman in college on a solid WVU team...then he go drafted, and it appeared he got the PJax special as a rookie, which is basically when Phil didn't know your name, and then his second year was when the bottom began to fall out with Mike Brown.

Bynum was a lottery pick. So I don't see why he would be included in such a discussion. Second round picks becoming actual players in this league are the exception, not the rule. The vast majority of them don't have much of an impact on the league. Which is why it doesn't make sense to expect them to "develop" into something. Especially when they've shown as little as Anthony Brown has in both summer league and the NBA.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KBH wrote:
dood23 wrote:
Seemed like a good kid, but never get too attached to second rounders that made maybe 8 shots as a Laker.

Honestly, I don't get it. You'd think after people hyping up the "potential" of guys like Devin Ebanks and Derrick Caracter that they'd learn not to grow attached to, or even develop expectations, for second rounders. It's being kind to call Brown a marginal NBA player. The same way it would be kind to refer to Ebanks and Caracter in that fashion.

So who else did the Lakers develop during that period....these were all late 1st/2nd round picks. Seems like Luke...maybe Bynum. Here is the thing about Ebanks, I watched the kid from his first game in college, and he had a ton of raw talent, and he started as a Freshman in college on a solid WVU team...then he go drafted, and it appeared he got the PJax special as a rookie, which is basically when Phil didn't know your name, and then his second year was when the bottom began to fall out with Mike Brown.

Bynum was a lottery pick. So I don't see why he would be included in such a discussion. Second round picks becoming actual players in this league are the exception, not the rule. The vast majority of them don't have much of an impact on the league. Which is why it doesn't make sense to expect them to "develop" into something. Especially when they've shown as little as Anthony Brown has in both summer league and the NBA.

Did you read my comment? If so, why are you responding about Anthony Brown? I was commenting on Ebanks having talent, but there was a significant period of time that the Lakers gave very little effort in developing young players, and in my opinion this was not helpful for Ebanks. I do not argue that Ebanks would have ever been a solid NBA player, but I am confident he arrived in LA loaded with raw skills.

I am aware of where Bynum was drafted, but I was simply listing the few young players that developed into long term contributors during the the PJax/Kobe era.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Roon wrote:

Underrated post.

Mustard With Pastrami never expires.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:13 am    Post subject:

His one decent game was in summer league.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:07 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Roon wrote:

Underrated post.

Mustard With Pastrami never expires.

You absolutely sure about that?
D. Sharp
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:
dood23 wrote:

Don't forget Sun "Chinese Magic" Yue.

On a side note, with how dedicated he was to losing weight and with how well he played in the Summer League, I actually thought DC would become a halfway decent NBA player.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KBH wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KBH wrote:
dood23 wrote:

Did you read my comment? If so, why are you responding about Anthony Brown? I was commenting on Ebanks having talent, but there was a significant period of time that the Lakers gave very little effort in developing young players, and in my opinion this was not helpful for Ebanks. I do not argue that Ebanks would have ever been a solid NBA player, but I am confident he arrived in LA loaded with raw skills.

I am aware of where Bynum was drafted, but I was simply listing the few young players that developed into long term contributors during the the PJax/Kobe era.

Raw skills and talent are not the same. Ebanks really didn't do anything well, he was long and athletic and people thought just because Ariza worked on his game and became a player that Ebanks could do the same. We just saw a bunch of players with "raw skills" get cut yesterday. Ebanks didn't do anything on his own to become a better basketball player. The coaches for the most part are here to coach up a game plan and try to win, if the player wants to put in time on his own, they are usually available at the facility.

There were players that got cut yesterday that got cut that were better than Brown, players will get cut every year that are better than Brown. He isn't a big loss at all. The Lakers can go out at almost any time and pick up a player with his youth and talent level.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 61 of 67
Jump to: