OFFICIAL ANTHONY BROWN THREAD - (WAIVED - p49; WAIVED AGAIN - p65)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 65, 66, 67  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject:

can the Lakers put out a commemorative poster highlighting the release of Anthony Brown? Some of us would really like to savor this moment...
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject:

Russell1 wrote:

Raw skills and talent are not the same. Ebanks really didn't do anything well, he was long and athletic and people thought just because Ariza worked on his game and became a player that Ebanks could do the same.

Also like how prototypical NBA bodies don't automatically translate to success. Guys like Antonio Harvey and Devean George ultimately proved why they came out of Division 3 schools. Dev looked like he was a born NBA star at 3 with that physique, but, man-o-man, he wasn't. Eesh. You know it's bad when the Clippers don't try to sign you after your Laker days are up. They'll usually take any of our sloppy seconds.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
Amazing how many people are upset about Brown being cut. He was essentially the fourth string SF and cannot play another position. He really doesn't have the handle to play SG and is too small to play PF. Deng/Ingram/Young can all play multiple positions. Brown did nothing to earn a spot on this team.

As for MWP? Don't kid yourself if the team needs to make a move, they will release him tomorrow. I wouldn't doubt the thinking was cut Brown now so he can either go to the D-league or sign on with another team. MWP is there to coach and be a good influence. He isn't seeing minutes unless something really bad happens.

I don't know if one should be upset about Brown being let go, but I see how anyone can say that giving a roster spot to MWP is anything but waste. It was a waste of a roster spot already last year. Trust me, Metta has not become any better over the year. If he is kept for tutoring and coaching, as seems to be the case, he should be a coach. He is not a valuable player anymore.

So it sure is not only about letting Brown walk. It is as much about keeping MWP over Brown. And the latter is pure nonsense.

He doesn't want to coach. Can't have your cake and eat it too.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
s_habe wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:
Amazing how many people are upset about Brown being cut. He was essentially the fourth string SF and cannot play another position. He really doesn't have the handle to play SG and is too small to play PF. Deng/Ingram/Young can all play multiple positions. Brown did nothing to earn a spot on this team.

As for MWP? Don't kid yourself if the team needs to make a move, they will release him tomorrow. I wouldn't doubt the thinking was cut Brown now so he can either go to the D-league or sign on with another team. MWP is there to coach and be a good influence. He isn't seeing minutes unless something really bad happens.

I don't know if one should be upset about Brown being let go, but I see how anyone can say that giving a roster spot to MWP is anything but waste. It was a waste of a roster spot already last year. Trust me, Metta has not become any better over the year. If he is kept for tutoring and coaching, as seems to be the case, he should be a coach. He is not a valuable player anymore.

So it sure is not only about letting Brown walk. It is as much about keeping MWP over Brown. And the latter is pure nonsense.

I have no problems with who was kept and who was released, but just because Artest wants to play it doesn't mean the Lakers should put him on the roster. No other team would sign him, so if we wanted him to coach he wouldn't have many other choices. That being said, I have no issues with him being on the roster.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Well at least he got to live the NBA life. Not everyone gets treated to dinner from a two star Michelin chef.

https://twitter.com/JmCalderon/status/786998527872204800
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:35 pm    Post subject:

First time I'm seeing this but I'm not surprised. He didn't belong in the NBA.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KBH wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KBH wrote:
dood23 wrote:
Seemed like a good kid, but never get too attached to second rounders that made maybe 8 shots as a Laker.

Honestly, I don't get it. You'd think after people hyping up the "potential" of guys like Devin Ebanks and Derrick Caracter that they'd learn not to grow attached to, or even develop expectations, for second rounders. It's being kind to call Brown a marginal NBA player. The same way it would be kind to refer to Ebanks and Caracter in that fashion.

So who else did the Lakers develop during that period....these were all late 1st/2nd round picks. Seems like Luke...maybe Bynum. Here is the thing about Ebanks, I watched the kid from his first game in college, and he had a ton of raw talent, and he started as a Freshman in college on a solid WVU team...then he go drafted, and it appeared he got the PJax special as a rookie, which is basically when Phil didn't know your name, and then his second year was when the bottom began to fall out with Mike Brown.

Bynum was a lottery pick. So I don't see why he would be included in such a discussion. Second round picks becoming actual players in this league are the exception, not the rule. The vast majority of them don't have much of an impact on the league. Which is why it doesn't make sense to expect them to "develop" into something. Especially when they've shown as little as Anthony Brown has in both summer league and the NBA.

Did you read my comment? If so, why are you responding about Anthony Brown? I was commenting on Ebanks having talent, but there was a significant period of time that the Lakers gave very little effort in developing young players, and in my opinion this was not helpful for Ebanks. I do not argue that Ebanks would have ever been a solid NBA player, but I am confident he arrived in LA loaded with raw skills.

I am aware of where Bynum was drafted, but I was simply listing the few young players that developed into long term contributors during the the PJax/Kobe era.

I was unclear. The beginning part of my response (after my mention of Bynum) was about Ebanks and I ended it about Brown because this is what the thread is about. I'll just say this. Everyone enters the NBA with some set of raw skills. That's why they were drafted. But most people, particularly second rounders, don't stick in the NBA for a reason. And they're drafted in that range for a reason.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I think it was the wrong decision to keep MWP over AB. Not the end of the world but i dont agree with it.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
I think it was the wrong decision to keep MWP over AB. Not the end of the world but i dont agree with it.

The wrong decision would have been to give AB ANY playing time over

Young
Williams
Clarkson
Deng
or Ingram
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm baffled that this thread is still so active for a scrub with "defensive potential".

I don't agree with keeping MWP on the roster, but AB is not NBA caliber.
Dondre
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:05 pm    Post subject:

I knew from day one he was trash. Shout out to Luke Walton for quickly getting rid of the guy. Still mad we chose to develop him instead of Jabari. A little off topic but I give the Lakers a score of F- in free agency this year.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Why exactly is this thread not locked yet?This dude is a scrub. I place the blame on Mark Madsen. He probably recruited/scouted him at Stanford
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject:

15 wrote:
Why exactly is this thread not locked yet?This dude is a scrub. I place the blame on Mark Madsen. He probably recruited/scouted him at Stanford

Because is LG, Please, 24, DB, someone
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KBH wrote:
dood23 wrote:
Seemed like a good kid, but never get too attached to second rounders that made maybe 8 shots as a Laker.

Honestly, I don't get it. You'd think after people hyping up the "potential" of guys like Devin Ebanks and Derrick Caracter that they'd learn not to grow attached to, or even develop expectations, for second rounders. It's being kind to call Brown a marginal NBA player. The same way it would be kind to refer to Ebanks and Caracter in that fashion.

So who else did the Lakers develop during that period....these were all late 1st/2nd round picks. Seems like Luke...maybe Bynum. Here is the thing about Ebanks, I watched the kid from his first game in college, and he had a ton of raw talent, and he started as a Freshman in college on a solid WVU team...then he go drafted, and it appeared he got the PJax special as a rookie, which is basically when Phil didn't know your name, and then his second year was when the bottom began to fall out with Mike Brown.

I liked Ebanks. He always reminded me of Trevor Ariza.
But he was no Trevor Ariza.
Also liked CDR. We didn't draft him, but I remember the Lakers gave him a camp invite back in the day.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
tox wrote:
s_habe wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:

I have no problems with who was kept and who was released, but just because Artest wants to play it doesn't mean the Lakers should put him on the roster. No other team would sign him, so if we wanted him to coach he wouldn't have many other choices. That being said, I have no issues with him being on the roster.

He would have plenty other choices. China, Spain, Greece, etc. And I'm not being flippant. If he wants to play 20 years, he'll be able to play 20 years. He already spent one of those years in China, so obviously he doesn't mind playing abroad. If he didn't want to be a coach, he wouldn't be a coach. Period.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject:

It would really suck if Brown shows up as a productive player on the Spurs in three seasons.
LakeShow06
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject:

I have posted several times on this board that I have never understood the 'love' for AB. Sure he was young and had the NBA-prototype body for SF, etc, etc, but he never ever showed 'enough' for me to rate the guy.

I was actually thinking the time is right for the Lakers to cut the guy, but thought they wouldn't because he was on a guaranteed contract. Well big ups to the Lakers for making the tough call to eat some money and retain T-Rob (and Metta) as more veteran influences in a very young team. Let's face it, where was Brown going to get ANY minutes on this team behind all of the swingmen the Lakers currently have?? If Nick had sucked this pre-season, then maybe the Lakers would have cut him and kept Brown, but Uncle P has really stood up.

The Lakers made the right call to cut A Brown.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:19 pm    Post subject:

LakeShow06 wrote:
I have posted several times on this board that I have never understood the 'love' for AB. Sure he was young and had the NBA-prototype body for SF, etc, etc, but he never ever showed 'enough' for me to rate the guy.

I was actually thinking the time is right for the Lakers to cut the guy, but thought they wouldn't because he was on a guaranteed contract. Well big ups to the Lakers for making the tough call to eat some money and retain T-Rob (and Metta) as more veteran influences in a very young team. Let's face it, where was Brown going to get ANY minutes on this team behind all of the swingmen the Lakers currently have?? If Nick had sucked this pre-season, then maybe the Lakers would have cut him and kept Brown, but Uncle P has really stood up.

The Lakers made the right call to cut A Brown.

I don't disagree with anything you said. I do think that part of the mindset against this is that we've been so strong in drafting for the past few years that people are holding hope that after just one year, AB could get it right.

On top of that, it seemed like just yesterday that he was the a facility tour, breakfast club, etc.

Again, he was pretty much trash, but he had some good things going for him that people hoped would materialize. Maybe 1 year wasn't quite enough to evaluate.

Hope he latches on somewhere in Europe and makes good money. At the end of the day, making $400K+ to play basketball is not a bad life as a last resort.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
s_habe wrote:
cthroatgtr wrote:

So if he is not coaching, what value does he bring? He is useless as a player. If it is only for the impact at practice.... Still why waste a roster spot?
And there is hardly any difference to management whether you want to play or not (unless you are Kobe or LeBron). You need to have a value as a player. I'm sure Brown wanted to play too.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:02 am    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:

So if he is not coaching, what value does he bring? He is useless as a player. If it is only for the impact at practice.... Still why waste a roster spot?
And there is hardly any difference to management whether you want to play or not (unless you are Kobe or LeBron). You need to have a value as a player. I'm sure Brown wanted to play too.

Aside from practice, locker room presence? Leadership? Luke spoke about how being a player vs. coach means teammates will listen more (so he has a surrogate if necessary). Mentoring/ teaching/ coaching?

This is what I was saying. The problem with our perspective as fans is we'll never know how important these things are. So if we can't judge how valuable MWP is off court (we all know he's worthless during games), how can we know whether or not it made sense bringing him aboard?

We can't. I'll defer to the coaching staff as a consequence; unlike Byron, they've done nothing to lose my trust yet. And as much as I liked AB (I've defended him), he hasn't earned anything.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:40 am    Post subject:

KBH wrote:

I was unclear. The beginning part of my response (after my mention of Bynum) was about Ebanks and I ended it about Brown because this is what the thread is about. I'll just say this. Everyone enters the NBA with some set of raw skills. That's why they were drafted. But most people, particularly second rounders, don't stick in the NBA for a reason. And they're drafted in that range for a reason.

I dont disagree with you, and I even mentioned I was not claiming what Ebanks should or could have been, but just pointing out we were really bad at developing young talent....because we didn't have to for so long. In contrast, San Antonio has always focused on developing talent even while they were hanging banners, which is one reason they have not had our "dips".

In regards to Brown, I am not claiming he would have been a solid NBA player...I mean how would I or anyone really know....but I do know he had some NBA skills, and he was shooting a solid % since the second half of SL....and one year is simply not enough time to make a decision on a young talent, especially a 3&D guy.

Ironically, AB was a little more productive his rookie year in PPG and RPG than another player we took at the top of the second round, and his name was Luke Walton. Thank god his last name was not Brown....or Smith.

I think it was a bad decision, and I have expressed that opinion....I am past it.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:46 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
KBH wrote:

I dont disagree with you, and I even mentioned I was not claiming what Ebanks should or could have been, but just pointing out we were really bad at developing young talent....because we didn't have to for so long. In contrast, San Antonio has always focused on developing talent even while they were hanging banners, which is one reason they have not had our "dips".

In regards to Brown, I am not claiming he would have been a solid NBA player...I mean how would I or anyone really know....but I do know he had some NBA skills, and he was shooting a solid % since the second half of SL....and one year is simply not enough time to make a decision on a young talent, especially a 3&D guy.

Ironically, AB was a little more productive his rookie year in PPG and RPG than another player we took at the top of the second round, and his name was Luke Walton. Thank god his last name was not Brown....or Smith.

I think it was a bad decision, and I have expressed that opinion....I am past it.

Yes SA has always worked on developing talent...key word talent. Brown has no talent hence not worth keeping around. He wasn't impressive at Stanford either. He'll never be an NBA player.. plain and simple.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
adkindo wrote:
KBH wrote:

Yes SA has always worked on developing talent...key word talent. Brown has no talent hence not worth keeping around. He wasn't impressive at Stanford either. He'll never be an NBA player.. plain and simple.

thanks
kobe_4_mvp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:20 am    Post subject:

well, he had his chances.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:50 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
It would really suck if Brown shows up as a productive player on the Spurs in three seasons.

Even worse would be after developing in SA or other team Brown becomes the center of another heavily contested "max contract" discussion in 2019-2020 free agency.

Doubt it. But it is not fun to ponder at all.

I would have kept him a bit longer, especially over MWP. But not emotionally invested enough in Brown to worry about him getting cut.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 65, 66, 67  Next
Page 62 of 67
Jump to: