OFFICIAL ROBERT UPSHAW THREAD (Cut from D League for Drug Violation pg 137)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
If the risk is guaranteeing the second year, then you might as well do it. It's a minimum contract bet for something Sacre doesn't have: upside.

Unless they are not impressed by other factors we know little about.

His attitude, work ethic, sobriety.... then it could be a big risk and waste of money. I want to see Upshaw succeed for his and the Lakers benefit but lets not forget there was a reason he was kicked off two programs and every GM passed on him in the draft.

It's a miniscule financial risk, you cannot make smaller bets than a league minimum contract. The only risk is PR if he gets tossed off the team for whatever reason, and even that PR risk is minimal as he's a very low profile player. Given the sorry state of the roster and the fact that the Lakers will miss out on two future first round picks within the next three season, embracing a small amount of risk for upside should be the first order of business.

Agreed. I don't see any better ceiling for Sacre/Kelly.

Upshaw to me is akin to a 1st round pick for next year. Instead of playing him in college, he will be paid to learn on the Lakers. Then hopefully by next season, he will be ready to be a rotation player.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
If the risk is guaranteeing the second year, then you might as well do it. It's a minimum contract bet for something Sacre doesn't have: upside.

Unless they are not impressed by other factors we know little about.

His attitude, work ethic, sobriety.... then it could be a big risk and waste of money. I want to see Upshaw succeed for his and the Lakers benefit but lets not forget there was a reason he was kicked off two programs and every GM passed on him in the draft.

It's a miniscule financial risk, you cannot make smaller bets than a league minimum contract. The only risk is PR if he gets tossed off the team for whatever reason, and even that PR risk is minimal as he's a very low profile player. Given the sorry state of the roster and the fact that the Lakers will miss out on two future first round picks within the next three season, embracing a small amount of risk for upside should be the first order of business.

Agreed. I don't see any better ceiling for Sacre/Kelly.

Upshaw to me is akin to a 1st round pick for next year. Instead of playing him in college, he will be paid to learn on the Lakers. Then hopefully by next season, he will be ready to be a rotation player.

This. Basically he's one of the best prospects we could get over the next couple of years. After striking out this summer on much needed talent, the Lakers will have to take some chances and be creative on finding additional talent to add to this roster. I'm still upset they didn't land a decent younger free agent this summer, and that they spent a 1st round pick on Nance(who to his credit still has the chance to live up to that investment). The unfortunate reality for the Lakers right now is that their future rests on the young guys and hoping that at least 2-3 of them turn into studs. There is no team in the nba that wants to help the Lakers get better(29 teams like them where they are), and top tier free agents aren't coming unless we have young talent in place and more wins on the board. It isn't like the Lakers are going for a championship this year, developing players SHOULD be the main focus this season. I'd like to see them win close to 40 games, but that seems fairly unlikely as of now after they completely whiffed on free agency.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject:

From the University of the Los Angeles Lakers, the Los Angeles Lakers select Robert Upshaw.

Basically would be our 2016 lotto pick.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:

He (Kupchak) added the Lakers have not signed any deal with 7-2 center Robert Upshaw, who played on the Lakers’ summer league team after going undrafted.

“It’s unlikely Robert will contribute next year on this team to win games,” said Kupchak, who has had recent discussions with Upshaw’s agent, Bill Duffy. “If we did something with Robert, it would be based on potential going forward.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150722/lakers-gm-mitch-kupchak-may-add-another-guard-or-center-to-roster
ahaider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject:

We missed on Whiteside - lets not miss again.

"The key to good decision making is not knowledge. It is understanding. We are swimming in the former. We are desperately lacking in the latter." - Malcom Gladwell
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
He (Kupchak) added the Lakers have not signed any deal with 7-2 center Robert Upshaw, who played on the Lakers’ summer league team after going undrafted.

“It’s unlikely Robert will contribute next year on this team to win games,” said Kupchak, who has had recent discussions with Upshaw’s agent, Bill Duffy. “If we did something with Robert, it would be based on potential going forward.”

http://www.dailynews.com/sports/20150722/lakers-gm-mitch-kupchak-may-add-another-guard-or-center-to-roster

Unlike all the games that Sacre will contribute to winning next year?

I don't know if I can accept Mitch's statement at face value. Perhaps yinoma is right in that the negotiation is deadlocked over a guarantee.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

Unlike all the games that Sacre will contribute to winning next year?

I don't know if I can accept Mitch's statement at face value. Perhaps yinoma is right in that the negotiation is deadlocked over a guarantee.

Which if it's at the minimum, I go for 100 out of 100 times. If he fails you cut a minimum salary. Sacre/Kelly have shown their ceiling and it's quite low.
iggypop123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

way Mitch phrased things, wonder if they are trying to do what the thunder did and sign a rookie to a deal where they spend their first year in the dleague . No NBA minutes.
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:34 am    Post subject:

There's a reason nobody touched this guy in the draft.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:35 am    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:

There's a reason Sacre was picked dead last in the draft.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:

True. But I've seen enough glimpses of talent that will easily take a full season (or more) to get to. That's why I'd see him as a delayed 2016 1st round pick (since we likely don't get one). Train him as if he's attending Lakers University and get him back to a good place.
WeDidItReddit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:39 am    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:

How did we miss on whiteside again? i forget
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject:

WeDidItReddit wrote:
ahaider wrote:

We missed on him like 28 other teams did.

Last edited by yinoma2001 on Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject:

WeDidItReddit wrote:
ahaider wrote:

We missed on him like 28 other teams did.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject:

Fracture wrote:

There certainly is. Now that that's out of the way, Upshaw has shown a willingness and a desire to clean up his act and have a career in the league. There's an opportunity here to pick up a lottery-level talent for nothing. Zip. Didn't even have to spend a low draft pick on him. This is a zero risk, high reward scenario. It will be extremely disappointing to let him go.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Fracture wrote:

True. But I've seen enough glimpses of talent that will easily take a full season (or more) to get to. That's why I'd see him as a delayed 2016 1st round pick (since we likely don't get one). Train him as if he's attending Lakers University and get him back to a good place.

I like it. Our unofficial 2016 lottery pick, Robert Upshaw.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject:

Still hoping we sign Upshaw but it sounds like Mitch is doing his due diligence and isn't very impressed with either on or off court stuff.
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:04 pm    Post subject:

I really like Upshaw but it doesn't look like people are knocking down the door to sign him. I hope this is all by design. I would be very disappointed with the Lakers if they didn't play him and didn't sign him. We all know if he played he would be signed by now so the only decent thing the Lakers can do is give him a shot
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject:

vicman wrote:
I really like Upshaw but it doesn't look like people are knocking down the door to sign him. I hope this is all by design. I would be very disappointed with the Lakers if they didn't play him and didn't sign him. We all know if he played he would be signed by now so the only decent thing the Lakers can do is give him a shot

I agree!!
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject:

i prefer to give upshaw this deal:

Chris Haynes ‏@ChrisBHaynes 2h2 hours ago
Rakeem Christmas, Pacers reached agreement on four-year, $4.5 million deal, league sources tell @clevelanddotcom. Two years guaranteed.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:

Rakeem Christmas, Pacers reached agreement on four-year, $4.5 million deal, league sources tell @clevelanddotcom. Two years guaranteed.

I would be very much all for that.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

Is he restricted after those 4 years? If not, I would prefer a three year deal like Anthony Brown and have him restricted after that.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:14 pm    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
Megaton wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:

Is he restricted after those 4 years? If not, I would prefer a three year deal like Anthony Brown and have him restricted after that.

Hmm...good point. Actually curious about that now.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject:

There will be a game this season where he gets 8 blocks! Same with Hibbert!
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:16 pm    Post subject:

After two years restricted and Arenas; after three years restricted and bird; after four years unrestricted. If the third and fourth years are non-guaranteed, you can chose any of these options.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 47, 48, 49 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 48 of 143
Jump to: