OFFICIAL ROBERT UPSHAW THREAD (Cut from D League for Drug Violation pg 137)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:49 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Yeah, the possible success path for Upshaw to becoming a cornerstone for this club is just not apparent to me.

I see a talented kid who'd be a third or fourth string option at center here, sitting on the bench with a history of pot infractions. We have a coach who has trouble relating to defiant players. That just doesn't set up well asl good karma, much less as an option worthy of the bother for this club.

Totally disagree, of course it is worth the bother.... it would be worth the bother for just about any team in the NBA that happens to be a sub-500 club without many options to improve in the near term and even more so for a club lacking roster depth at the 5 (all of which applies to the Lakers).... I'm frankly baffled why another club hasn't entered the fray unless perhaps like some have suggested Upshaw and his agent feel this is the best shot for him and their willing to wait for the contract....

I reckon the other clubs aren't baffled. Better risk/reward combinations are out there. Makes sense to me his past has labeled him with the type of warning signs such that he's gonna have to prove his off court problems are vanquished first, before his rookie NBA contract. Maybe Europe, maybe D-league. It doesn't seem as though it's been potential or upside that's been his problem; it's risk/reward balance.

I totally disagree that there aren't teams willing to get him now. The fact that no one has tells me that we made a deal with Upshaw to sign him later. Whether the reason is monitoring him or leaving a spot open if an opportunity to grab a player comes along (we can always let Sacre go to sign Upshaw before training camp starts).
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
70sdude wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Yeah, the possible success path for Upshaw to becoming a cornerstone for this club is just not apparent to me.

I see a talented kid who'd be a third or fourth string option at center here, sitting on the bench with a history of pot infractions. We have a coach who has trouble relating to defiant players. That just doesn't set up well asl good karma, much less as an option worthy of the bother for this club.
Totally disagree, of course it is worth the bother.... it would be worth the bother for just about any team in the NBA that happens to be a sub-500 club without many options to improve in the near term and even more so for a club lacking roster depth at the 5 (all of which applies to the Lakers).... I'm frankly baffled why another club hasn't entered the fray unless perhaps like some have suggested Upshaw and his agent feel this is the best shot for him and their willing to wait for the contract....
I reckon the other clubs aren't baffled. Better risk/reward combinations are out there. Makes sense to me his past has labeled him with the type of warning signs such that he's gonna have to prove his off court problems are vanquished first, before his rookie NBA contract. Maybe Europe, maybe D-league. It doesn't seem as though it's been potential or upside that's been his problem; it's risk/reward balance.
I totally disagree that there aren't teams willing to get him now. The fact that no one has tells me that we made a deal with Upshaw to sign him later. Whether the reason is monitoring him or leaving a spot open if an opportunity to grab a player comes along (we can always let Sacre go to sign Upshaw before training camp starts).
If there were teams even considering to sign him, there would be reported rumblings

Upshaw definitely has an upside for a certain style of play that many NBA teams are not playing because he doesn't fit the requirement of a mobile 5 - aka Town.

Teams that play a style with a dominant big include the Grizzs, Cavs, Spurs and the Lakers. Upshaw can flourish with the Lakers, or at least be like a Tyson Chandler-type player that would be great
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:20 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
70sdude wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
70sdude wrote:

If there were teams even considering to sign him, there would be reported rumblings

Upshaw definitely has an upside for a certain style of play that many NBA teams are not playing because he doesn't fit the requirement of a mobile 5 - aka Town.

Teams that play a style with a dominant big include the Grizzs, Cavs, Spurs and the Lakers. Upshaw can flourish with the Lakers, or at least be like a Tyson Chandler-type player that would be great

If he was not waiting for us, then his agent would have word out that he's actually available....which hasn't happened. I don't believe for a moment he wouldn't have any other options after SL (even though we severely restricted his minutes the last 3 games). Every article about his SL performance was glowing!!

I think you way undervalue Upshaw and you think I overvalue him. We can both believe as we do. Neither will convince the other. Time will tell who's right.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject:

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
He'll be lucky to see minutes at center, he has a long way to go. He missed a lot of playing time & is currently a step slow & light for NBA game. I believe Sacre still holds the back up spot until something changes.

Upshaw needs to work a lot more in the weight room & on the court, I just hope he can do it within the next two years? He just seems a bit timid right now, needs to play but since were on rebuild mode perhaps Scott will give him minutes? Right now he reminds me of our old draft pick Earl Jones with a ceiling of Elden Campbell...
He needs to get PT in the D League.

His skills are not near Jones (player with great hops) and potentially much stronger/consistent than Campbell.

He appears to have the passion, but not the endurance - as noted by his play against Town
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
He'll be lucky to see minutes at center, he has a long way to go. He missed a lot of playing time & is currently a step slow & light for NBA game. I believe Sacre still holds the back up spot until something changes.

Upshaw needs to work a lot more in the weight room & on the court, I just hope he can do it within the next two years? He just seems a bit timid right now, needs to play but since were on rebuild mode perhaps Scott will give him minutes? Right now he reminds me of our old draft pick Earl Jones with a ceiling of Elden Campbell...
He needs to get PT in the D League.

His skills are not near Jones (player with great hops) and potentially much stronger/consistent than Campbell.

He appears to have the passion, but not the endurance - as noted by his play against Town

He played great against Towns!! Everyone was very high on him and saying how great he did against Towns. That's why we put word out immediately after the game that we signed him....even though we actually hadn't yet.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
70sdude wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
70sdude wrote:

Riiight, that's the three week old rumor that the Lakers made a handshake deal for no money to keep Upshaw through the Summer and that's what's keeping twenty-nine other clubs from signing him for actual money. I am certain that an unofficial wink-wink-nod-nod agreement would not stop the other clubs from signing him, and frankly, there's been no news of anyone even trying. If he were valued, I think we'd have seen something by now.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
70sdude wrote:

They all have more information than you and I do. From the information I have, I think he can be a decent backup center at worst, maybe a good role player at best. That is all just based on talent that I have seen, the depth of his demons and how he can handle them are way beyond my understanding.
Rawr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject:

LakersNation just posted a new Upshaw video that I haven't seen anywhere:

No basketball footage but Upshaw looks different, like he's skinnier or healthier maybe?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:

No basketball footage but Upshaw looks different, like he's skinnier or healthier maybe?

Maybe no news is good news. Keeping his head low and working in the gym.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:

How old is this?
Oh yeah....he's been in the gym non stop for sure. He still has two months until training camp and something tells me he's going to dominate. I'm rooting for this kid
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Rawr wrote:

How old is this?
Oh yeah....he's been in the gym non stop for sure. He still has two months until training camp and something tells me he's going to dominate. I'm rooting for this kid

posted today
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Rawr wrote:

How old is this?

posted today

He looks completely different than he did in summer league.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Rawr wrote:

Lost weight. Looks healthy.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Rawr wrote:

How old is this?

posted today

Sweet. With that amount of weight loss he's going to be able to move much better and block more shots. He's taking blacks spot in the rotation.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Rawr wrote:

How old is this?

posted today

Sweet. With that amount of weight loss he's going to be able to move much better and block more shots. He's taking blacks spot in the rotation.

I would prefer he take Sacre's spot on the roster. Black can play C & PF if needed.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Rawr wrote:

How old is this?

posted today

I would prefer he take Sacre's spot on the roster. Black can play C & PF if needed.

Oh black is way more valuable no doubt but I think he's a 3rd string big. Upshaw takes blacks spot and black takes sacre. Sacre needs to be released or traded since he really has no value other than practice player/cheerleader.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:28 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
pio2u wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Rawr wrote:

How old is this?

posted today

Oh black is way more valuable no doubt but I think he's a 3rd string big. Upshaw takes blacks spot and black takes sacre. Sacre needs to be released or traded since he really has no value other than practice player/cheerleader.

i have said this as soon as we signed upshaw for SL. by Jan he will be taking up Black's mins
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject:

According to Pincus, something transpired during the summer league w/Upshaw that has given the Lakers pause in signing Upshaw.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
According to Pincus, something transpired during the summer league w/Upshaw that has given the Lakers pause in signing Upshaw.

When was this said?
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:06 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

When was this said?

Around an hour ago? Look at his twitter feed. You'll see a series of texts on Upshaw.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Roger Upshaw is going to be such a great player.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Eric Pincus – Verified account ‏@EricPincus

@NobodyKnows411 yes, things happened during the summer league to give Lakers pause - we'll see if it's enough pause to stop a signing

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricPincus/status/629066511521460224
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:

@NobodyKnows411 yes, things happened during the summer league to give Lakers pause - we'll see if it's enough pause to stop a signing

wheres that kid that said he smoked with him at the beach?
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject:

Laker_Town wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

wheres that kid that said he smoked with him at the beach?

Let's not assume that's what it is. It could be something else.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:

Wow he really needs to get it together
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 51, 52, 53 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 52 of 143
Jump to: