OFFICIAL ROBERT UPSHAW THREAD (Cut from D League for Drug Violation pg 137)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:48 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Going by Eric's tweets, Upshaw did something in Vegas that scared the Lakers.

Not very smart by Upshaw with his past
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject:

PICKnPOP wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Eric Pincus – Verified account ‏@EricPincus

@NobodyKnows411 yes, things happened during the summer league to give Lakers pause - we'll see if it's enough pause to stop a signing

https://mobile.twitter.com/EricPincus/status/629066511521460224

Wow he really needs to get it together

Maybe he pulled a Kwame and threw a cake at some fan.

This guy is too talented to be doing stupid (bleep) off the court.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject:

I don't know what Eric is referencing for sure or in entirety, but when the players were given a day off in Vegas, upshaw apparently used it to get his party on...
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully he didn't go Mutombo-like with a "Who wants to sex Upshaw" line.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Going by Eric's tweets, Upshaw did something in Vegas that scared the Lakers.

Not very smart by Upshaw with his past

Hmm he did something "scary" in Vegas.
Judging by his past and the cities reputation, I bet he ... tipped 12% at the buffet at the Bellagio. If your splitting the check, leave money in for tip!
15%, minimum. Keep it classy Upshaw!
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
I don't know what Eric is referencing for sure or in entirety, but when the players were given a day off in Vegas, upshaw apparently used it to get his party on...

source? or its Eric?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Yeah, the possible success path for Upshaw to becoming a cornerstone for this club is just not apparent to me.

I see a talented kid who'd be a third or fourth string option at center here, sitting on the bench with a history of pot infractions. We have a coach who has trouble relating to defiant players. That just doesn't set up well asl good karma, much less as an option worthy of the bother for this club.

Totally disagree, of course it is worth the bother.... it would be worth the bother for just about any team in the NBA that happens to be a sub-500 club without many options to improve in the near term and even more so for a club lacking roster depth at the 5 (all of which applies to the Lakers).... I'm frankly baffled why another club hasn't entered the fray unless perhaps like some have suggested Upshaw and his agent feel this is the best shot for him and their willing to wait for the contract....
They all have more information than you and I do. From the information I have, I think he can be a decent backup center at worst, maybe a good role player at best. That is all just based on talent that I have seen, the depth of his demons and how he can handle them are way beyond my understanding.
Maybe the Lakers can figure out a way to make him a "stash player" this year, so that they can work on his game.
Michaelg0802
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
70sdude wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
70sdude wrote:
I can't think of a US pro sports precedent that lends credence to notions of good outcomes for the club in any type of mid-term or long-term view with regard to keeping a player with as shaky a history as Upshaw. He'll implode.

Don't need the distraction, even a cheap one.

Odom

Rodman

The Worm's aberrant lifestyle problems came after he proved himself on court, not before.

Oh, you're talking about rookies. Gotcha. I didn't see that parameter.

All I saw was:

Prediction: No good outcomes for the club
Parameters: mid or long term view & shaky history

Does Jason "White Chocolate" Williams fit the parameters?

"In February 1998, however, the University of Florida suspended him for the remainder of the season for marijuana use, after two previous suspensions for the same infraction."

It seem NBA scouts selected JW with the 7th pick. The whole league passed on Upshaw twice, in 60 picks. Similar ?

Did you forget about Ben Wallace? Smart guy?
Ben Wallace is exactly who upshaw could turn into.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

@NobodyKnows411 yes, things happened during the summer league to give Lakers pause - we'll see if it's enough pause to stop a signing

wheres that kid that said he smoked with him at the beach?

Let's not assume that's what it is. It could be something else.

Maybe smoked with someone else.

That one kid can't be the only time he's smoked.
Agent P
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject:

When they "agreed" to terms or whatever that conversation was, he probably offered Mitch a little something extra to celebrate with.
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject:

He probably showed up hung over
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

Just read he did something "scary" that made the Lakers pause during SL. Wonder what? At least they haven't given up on him and he looks real good in that new video!!

Last edited by kobe_luver on Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
Laker_Town wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

Maybe smoked with someone else.

That one kid can't be the only time he's smoked.

See what the problem is.....no one knows he smoked with that kid. No proof at all...but you believe it happened.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject:

If it was something scary, I doubt he would be around for training camp. So far, the most logical explanation is that Upshaw and Lakers have some kind of agreement that depends on how he behaves until the camp and how he performs.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
If it was something scary, I doubt he would be around for training camp. So far, the most logical explanation is that Upshaw and Lakers have some kind of agreement that depends on how he behaves until the camp and how he performs.

Eric specifically said there was something at Las Vegas that made them pause and rethink signing him. He sounds like it was something serious....but not bad enough to give up on him for sure. He looks good in that last interview clip and he's still working out with us....good signs.
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:08 am    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
Eindhoven wrote:

Eric specifically said there was something at Las Vegas that made them pause and rethink signing him. He sounds like it was something serious....but not bad enough to give up on him for sure. He looks good in that last interview clip and he's still working out with us....good signs.

"Something" can be a lot of things: scary, serious or not. I would trust more the information if he was more specific about what happened. I'd rather go with the explanation that makes more sense to me, as we have zero concrete information on why he hasn't signed yet.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:

And it sure looked like the rest of the team did too. Still can't believe that decision by Madsen. Although, I make no mistakes here: Upshaw's the one under the microscope and rightfully so. Can't baby sit the dude 24/7. Personal accountability.

Still not the best sign either way.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:55 am    Post subject:

Whatever happened in Vegas is the worst possible scenario for Upshaw. He knew the Lakers and the league were scrutinizing him and he still acted up. It doesn't matter as much what he did as much as it shows he's waiting to get a little money to act a lot more foolish.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:37 am    Post subject:

So RU couldn't hold it together for 1 day even when he knew he was being scrutinized?

In that one day he cost himself more guaranteed money than most people will make in 20 years. Even after all of the trials and tribulations he has gone through, saying this is his LAST chance, he could not be on good behavior for a very short period of time. That is poor decision making, it does not bode well for his future.
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Rawr wrote:
LakersNation just posted a new Upshaw video that I haven't seen anywhere:

No basketball footage but Upshaw looks different, like he's skinnier or healthier maybe?

How old is this?
Oh yeah....he's been in the gym non stop for sure. He still has two months until training camp and something tells me he's going to dominate. I'm rooting for this kid

posted today

That may have just been posted today, but it looks like it was shot sometime during Vegas summer league. Not sure why Lakersnation would be interviewing Upshaw today wearing summer league gear in front of UNLV posters...
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
Rawr wrote:
LakersNation just posted a new Upshaw video that I haven't seen anywhere:

No basketball footage but Upshaw looks different, like he's skinnier or healthier maybe?

How old is this?
Oh yeah....he's been in the gym non stop for sure. He still has two months until training camp and something tells me he's going to dominate. I'm rooting for this kid

posted today

That may have just been posted today, but it looks like it was shot sometime during Vegas summer league. Not sure why Lakersnation would be interviewing Upshaw today wearing summer league gear in front of UNLV posters...

Good catch. But what's odd is that he looks much thinner than he did during SL and why did they wait so long to post those "60 second question" interviews?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:

Yeah, we don't know what happened, just that it was something that stopped the Lakers from signing Upshaw to a camp contract. As well as every other NBA team. Gotta love fans being fans, but those who think that Upshaw is going to supplant Black on the roster are highly optimistic, if not outright unrealistic. Black has proven himself to be a solid NBA backup center and spot starter, while Upshaw has proven he cannot live within a team concept.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
70sdude wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
70sdude wrote:
Yeah, the possible success path for Upshaw to becoming a cornerstone for this club is just not apparent to me.

I see a talented kid who'd be a third or fourth string option at center here, sitting on the bench with a history of pot infractions. We have a coach who has trouble relating to defiant players. That just doesn't set up well asl good karma, much less as an option worthy of the bother for this club.

Totally disagree, of course it is worth the bother.... it would be worth the bother for just about any team in the NBA that happens to be a sub-500 club without many options to improve in the near term and even more so for a club lacking roster depth at the 5 (all of which applies to the Lakers).... I'm frankly baffled why another club hasn't entered the fray unless perhaps like some have suggested Upshaw and his agent feel this is the best shot for him and their willing to wait for the contract....

I reckon the other clubs aren't baffled. Better risk/reward combinations are out there. Makes sense to me his past has labeled him with the type of warning signs such that he's gonna have to prove his off court problems are vanquished first, before his rookie NBA contract. Maybe Europe, maybe D-league. It doesn't seem as though it's been potential or upside that's been his problem; it's risk/reward balance.

I totally disagree that there aren't teams willing to get him now. The fact that no one has tells me that we made a deal with Upshaw to sign him later. Whether the reason is monitoring him or leaving a spot open if an opportunity to grab a player comes along (we can always let Sacre go to sign Upshaw before training camp starts).

Maybe the fact that no team is going after Upshaw should clue you in?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
70sdude wrote:

They all have more information than you and I do. From the information I have, I think he can be a decent backup center at worst, maybe a good role player at best. That is all just based on talent that I have seen, the depth of his demons and how he can handle them are way beyond my understanding.
Maybe the Lakers can figure out a way to make him a "stash player" this year, so that they can work on his game.

It sounds like his game is the least of the Laker's (and other teams) worries.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 53 of 143
Jump to: