OFFICIAL ROBERT UPSHAW THREAD (Cut from D League for Drug Violation pg 137)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 141, 142, 143  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject:

In Cachooka's highlight, you could see Sacre going to check in when Byron called for Upshaw for the first time.

Dem Roberts.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
What I don't like about Upshaw is he doesn't make himself part of the team. He doesn't go shake players when they are shooting freethrows and he doesn't set good screens. I like his potential but I don't like his attitude

His attitude seems fine to me. I never even noticed your free throws comment...I think he's just terribly focused on his game right now.

He does set screens for other players...a lot. One of the best on the team.

he sets weak screens, well atleast he doesn't move on this screens so thats good, he needs to get stronger and set better screens.

I think he sets excellent screens. He sprints to the screen, gets wide, and uses good angles. What is it about his screens that you think is weak?

He didn't create enough space for Lou while he was setting the screen, I think it was weak because the players he was screening on were able to get over it quite easily. He does get wide quickly but he didn't create enough opportunities with the screens he was setting.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
epak wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Black is probably a better overall player than Upshaw right now. But Upshaw is an ideal backup for Hibbert.
He does the same things.
Will be interesting to see how the backup center rotation minutes work out.

Exact same things except talk on defense, seal his man on offense, make nice passes from the top of the key, rotate consistently on defense, etc

Ouch. Not an Upshaw fan I'm guessing.
Hibbert and Upshaw both patrol the paint and shotblock.
Also they both like getting paint touches in the same places offensively.
Of course Upshaw isn't as well-rounded a Center as Hibbert. He's a rookie.

Im rooting for the kid. Just saying he doesn't do the same things, cuz hes raw. Maybe he'll learn and develop and maybe he won't.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
pio2u wrote:
With Robert Upshaw we essentially have 3 first rounders out of this years draft.

His potential is off the charts. He reminds me of a young Robert Parrish.

Essentially have 4 lottery level players in past 2 drafts.

Randle
J Clarkson
Russell
Upshaw

Disagree. Upshaw is raw and over rated at this time.

All the scouts, GMs, etc. said before and after the draft that if he hadn't had the "baggage" and heart issue he would've been a lottery pick. Most lottery picks need time to perfect their games....doesn't mean they don't deserve to be lottery picks.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
kikanga wrote:
epak wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Black is probably a better overall player than Upshaw right now. But Upshaw is an ideal backup for Hibbert.
He does the same things.

Exact same things except talk on defense, seal his man on offense, make nice passes from the top of the key, rotate consistently on defense, etc

Im rooting for the kid. Just saying he doesn't do the same things, cuz hes raw. Maybe he'll learn and develop and maybe he won't.

He doesn't do all the same things as Hibbert.
Just some of the same things.
Semantics, gotta love 'em.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
What I don't like about Upshaw is he doesn't make himself part of the team. He doesn't go shake players when they are shooting freethrows and he doesn't set good screens. I like his potential but I don't like his attitude

His attitude seems fine to me. I never even noticed your free throws comment...I think he's just terribly focused on his game right now.

He does set screens for other players...a lot. One of the best on the team.

he sets weak screens, well atleast he doesn't move on this screens so thats good, he needs to get stronger and set better screens.

I think he sets excellent screens. He sprints to the screen, gets wide, and uses good angles. What is it about his screens that you think is weak?

He didn't create enough space for Lou while he was setting the screen, I think it was weak because the players he was screening on were able to get over it quite easily. He does get wide quickly but he didn't create enough opportunities with the screens he was setting.

Sure, but I don't think those things are on Upshaw. If a big sprints to screens, takes a good angle, and gets wide, he's done his job. I know what you're talking about, but a big part of the problem is that we're setting screens too far away from the basket. If Lou Williams has the ball 35 feet from the basket and his defender is 5 feet off of him (as he should be), the screen is going to be easy to get around. That may be his fault for not waiting for the guard to work it down into scoring range, but that's more of a decision making issue than an issue with the quality of his screens. Watch his screens where he's close to the 3-point line. They're usually pretty good.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
epak wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
pio2u wrote:
With Robert Upshaw we essentially have 3 first rounders out of this years draft.

His potential is off the charts. He reminds me of a young Robert Parrish.

Essentially have 4 lottery level players in past 2 drafts.

Randle
J Clarkson
Russell
Upshaw

Disagree. Upshaw is raw and over rated at this time.

All the scouts, GMs, etc. said before and after the draft that if he hadn't had the "baggage" and heart issue he would've been a lottery pick. Most lottery picks need time to perfect their games....doesn't mean they don't deserve to be lottery picks.

Oh, are we talking Greg Oden and Anthony Bennett type of lotto picks? I was thinking more of Blake Griffin and Anthony Davis type of lotto bigs. So yea, i guess Upshaw can be considered lotto pick worthy.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
kikanga wrote:
epak wrote:
kikanga wrote:
He does the same things.

It's definitely a stark difference between the two on defense. But in large part because Hibbert has looked like an allstar on D at times this preseason. To start this game he was fricking everywhere in the paint, helping and then recovering to his man and boxing out. he looked great. Upshaw will learn a lot from Hibbert, Upshaw has NO idea where to be on the court - but watching Hibbert will help a lotttt
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:42 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
epak wrote:
kikanga wrote:
epak wrote:
kikanga wrote:
He does the same things.

It's definitely a stark difference between the two on defense. But in large part because Hibbert has looked like an allstar on D at times this preseason. To start this game he was fricking everywhere in the paint, helping and then recovering to his man and boxing out. he looked great. Upshaw will learn a lot from Hibbert, Upshaw has NO idea where to be on the court - but watching Hibbert will help a lotttt

Im seeing what ure seeing. But that must be semantics? As per poster above. Hehe
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject:

(Upshaw said he's the energy guy on the sideline by the way) @sniper008
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Makes sense. Must be why he out of energy to give daps to his teammates during free throws
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Makes sense. Must be why he out of energy to give daps to his teammates during free throws

Lol well he needs to extend that energy to the freethrow daps as well, I'm rooting for him for be part of our core.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Very good first game from Upshaw tonight. He had a couple nice jumpers and a couple blocked shots. He looks like the perfect backup C for Hibbert.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Very good first game from Upshaw tonight. He had a couple nice jumpers and a couple blocked shots. He looks like the perfect backup C for Hibbert.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

epak wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
epak wrote:
kikanga wrote:
epak wrote:
kikanga wrote:
He does the same things.

Im seeing what ure seeing. But that must be semantics? As per poster above. Hehe

Upshaw has the potential to play defense like Hibbert.
He just isn't that good now. He's a rookie.
I bet Hibbert's defense was comparable to Upshaw's when he was a rookie.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

He looked like he's way too good to play on the Defenders.

Last edited by greenfrog on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject:

I really like Upshaw, or the idea of Upshaw. He has talent, and has showed a lot of things. I am glad he played today and like what I saw.

One thing I noticed though, is how ecstatic Kobe, Byron and especially Worthy are when they talk about Randle or Russel or Clarkson. But when Worthy had to talk about Upshaw, who has been coaching the bigs, on TWC.

Speaking from personal experience. I've been a young person with problems, wanting to prove myself. I knew, conceptually that I had to work hard, to improve, and succeed, but I wanted things to happen faster than they should, I thought that because I made the decision in my head to "turn the corner" the world made that decision too.

What I can see in Upshaw, I can see in my younger self. He is a smart kid, who is tired of failure, but he really lacks knowledge, experience and perspective. I could be wrong, obviously, but he might need to listen more, and talk less.

He's a smart kid, very talented, needs to be patient. Kobe should make him read some of the books that Phil gave him back in the day.

edit: typos
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject:

Upshaw showed flashes tonight. This is why a lot of us were hyped and he went undrafted and we picked him up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Upshaw's mobility has been a huge surprise to me. He has a lot of promise and I don't think we can risk not signing him. He's got a lot of potential and the work he did to lose weight and increase his agility/mobility is impressive.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:41 pm    Post subject:

About what I expected. Still a year away of good coaching/game experience, which will come with better timing, from being legit rotation big IMO. Deserves a roster spot on the team
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject:

Roon wrote:
I really like Upshaw, or the idea of Upshaw. He has talent, and has showed a lot of things. I am glad he played today and like what I saw.

One thing I noticed though, is how ecstatic Kobe, Byron and especially Worthy are when they talk about Randle or Russel or Clarkson. But when Worthy had to talk about Upshaw, who has been coaching the bigs, on TWC.

Speaking from personal experience. I've been a young person with problems, wanting to prove myself. I knew, conceptually that I had to work hard, to improve, and succeed, but I wanted things to happen faster than they should, I thought that because I made the decision in my head to "turn the corner" the world made that decision too.

What I can see in Upshaw, I can see in my younger self. He is a smart kid, who is tired of failure, but he really lacks knowledge, experience and perspective. I could be wrong, obviously, but he might need to listen more, and talk less.

He's a smart kid, very talented, needs to be patient. Kobe should make him read some of the books that Phil gave him back in the day.

I saw the same thing....Worthy and Scott seem too hard on Upshaw.

Horry was the one that sounded excited about him at the desk....and Coach.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject:

If Sacre makes the team over Upshaw, it will simply be because of money. Black is a better player than both right now, but I'd still take Upshaw over both because of his long term potential. Cut Holmes, Huertas, Sacre and Frazier.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers have had as much money coming in as ever the past 2 years with the new TV deal and not being anywhere near the cap. Dead cap between 1m-2.7m (Sacre/Kelly) should not be a problem even if it means keeping better long term talent
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:54 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
Roon wrote:

I saw the same thing....Worthy and Scott seem too hard on Upshaw.

Horry was the one that sounded excited about him at the desk....and Coach.

Hard to read to much into it. Sometimes coaches decide early on which guys they think need positive reinforcement and which guys need negative. And then their treatment of them stays consistent no matter what happens. Byron seems like one of those coaches.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject:

He looked pretty good out there. Really clunked those free throws though. He definitely needs a lot of work there or we are looking at Hack a Robert
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 79, 80, 81 ... 141, 142, 143  Next
Page 80 of 143
Jump to: