Supreme Court affirms gay couples’ right to marry
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject: Supreme Court affirms gay couples’ right to marry

Supreme Court affirms gay couples’ right to marry

Can't believe there wasn't a thread on this yet. So happy for all of my friends that are now able to marry the person they love. It's a great day to be an American and to witness an important civil liberty being afforded to everyone, finally.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject:

Great day.
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject:

I liked the idea of the states all adopting it on their own. I'm just in general against the Federal government making these rules.

Keep in mind, I don't think the Federal government should have a say in ANY romantic relationship. That means straight marriage too. I don't see why it's their business.

With that said, since they're already in the business of straight marriage, it only makes sense that they be in gay marriage also to treat it equally.

But yeah... don't see why it's their business.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Great day.
Christopher C
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject:

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:

Everyone should read Scalia's dissent for its humor.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject:

Finally. Next step: weed

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

Hallelujah
Nordvader
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

Clarence Thomas as well both of them are clowns.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject:

https://www.facebook.com/onemillionmoms

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

It's actually tame compared to his dissent on yesterday's ObamaCare Decsision, which he say's should be rebranded as "SCOTUSCARE".

One has to wonder just what people of the Scalia persuasion are going to conjure up to try to restrict Free Americans from engaging in Freedom activities since they are running out of things that they can still restrict?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject:

Andrew Sullivan came out of retirement to write this.

It Is Accomplished.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

RIP pnp.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject:

Great news. It's the way it should be. Marriage has been a civil tradition way before religion came in and (bleep) it up.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject:

awesome news
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject:

Nordvader wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Quote:
Justice Antonin Scalia

"It is not of special importance to me what the law says about marriage. It is of overwhelming importance, however, who it is that rules me. Today's decree says that my Ruler, and the Ruler of 320 million Americans coast-to-coast, is a majority of the nine lawyers on the Supreme Court. … This practice of constitutional revision by an unelected committee of nine, always accompanied (as it is today) by extravagant praise of liberty, robs the People of the most important liberty they asserted in the Declaration of Independence and won in the Revolution of 1776: the freedom to govern themselves."

And in giving unlimited power to special interest groups via Citizens United doesn't do that MORE to EVERY AMERICAN? This decision affects a minority of Americans. That decision affected every American, and it was a decision that wasn't even what the case was about.

Quote:

Justice Clarence Thomas

"The majority invokes our Constitution in the name of a 'liberty' that the Framers would not have recognized, to the detriment of the liberty they sought to protect. Along the way, it rejects the idea—captured in our Declaration of Independence—that human dignity is innate and suggests instead that it comes from the Government. This distortion of our Constitution not only ignores the text, it inverts the relationship between the individual and the state in our Republic. I cannot agree with it."

Quote:
Chief Justice John Roberts

"If you are among the many Americans—of whatever sexual orientation—who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today's decision. Celebrate the achievement of a desired goal. Celebrate the opportunity for a new expression of commitment to a partner. Celebrate the availability of new benefits. But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it."

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

I was reading that Clarence Thomas wrote a nasty dissent on 5-4 decision. seriously that guy is absurd... He reminds me of Uncle Ruckus from the Boondocks
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
RIP pnp.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:

OK, now gay marriages are on equal footing with straight marriages. Is there a designation to whose the male and whose the female? I feel that's important because in straight marriages the male usually gets the shaft.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakergal16
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
Nordvader wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Quote:
Justice Antonin Scalia

"It is not of special importance to me what the law says about marriage. It is of overwhelming importance, however, who it is that rules me. Today's decree says that my Ruler, and the Ruler of 320 million Americans coast-to-coast, is a majority of the nine lawyers on the Supreme Court. … This practice of constitutional revision by an unelected committee of nine, always accompanied (as it is today) by extravagant praise of liberty, robs the People of the most important liberty they asserted in the Declaration of Independence and won in the Revolution of 1776: the freedom to govern themselves."

And in giving unlimited power to special interest groups via Citizens United doesn't do that MORE to EVERY AMERICAN? This decision affects a minority of Americans. That decision affected every American, and it was a decision that wasn't even what the case was about.

Quote:

Justice Clarence Thomas

"The majority invokes our Constitution in the name of a 'liberty' that the Framers would not have recognized, to the detriment of the liberty they sought to protect. Along the way, it rejects the idea—captured in our Declaration of Independence—that human dignity is innate and suggests instead that it comes from the Government. This distortion of our Constitution not only ignores the text, it inverts the relationship between the individual and the state in our Republic. I cannot agree with it."

Quote:

"If you are among the many Americans—of whatever sexual orientation—who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today's decision. Celebrate the achievement of a desired goal. Celebrate the opportunity for a new expression of commitment to a partner. Celebrate the availability of new benefits. But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it."

I think my IQ dropped 10 points reading the dissenting opinions

Can't wait to tackle this with my AP students next year.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject:

lakergal16 wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:
Nordvader wrote:
Wilt wrote:

Quote:
Justice Antonin Scalia

Quote:

Justice Clarence Thomas

Quote:

I think my IQ dropped 10 points reading the dissenting opinions

Can't wait to tackle this with my AP students next year.

laker teacher
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:44 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
OK, now gay marriages are on equal footing with straight marriages. Is there a designation to whose the male and whose the female? I feel that's important because in straight marriages the male usually gets the shaft.

You're doing it wrong.
D'Angelo Russell
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject:

Next, Supreme Court needs to vote against God. He's prevented the right for 2 men and 2 woman to procreate. That religious Nutcase fairy in the sky, He's so intolerant!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

You're doing it wrong.

I see what you did there Oooootay

On the serious side does this make it easier or more difficult in a divorce proceeding? Men usually come out on the short end when dividing property, child custody and spousal support.

Will this equal footing make dividing property easier or more difficult because there is no male and in the case of two males, no female? How do you decide who the better parent is? Who gets stuck with support, alimony?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Court's don't decide the question solely based on gender. The typical standard is "best interest" of the child. Past case precedent and the particularities of the family will guide the Court's decision.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11
Jump to: