Available Centers

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Available Centers

Lakers addressed PG/SG by drafting D'Angelo Russell and now need to focus on C through free agency. Here are some of the top Centers available.

Marc Gasol - Lakers will make an effort but will likely resign to Grizzlies.

DeAndre Jordan - Lakers will make an effort but will likely resign to Clippers.

Tim Duncan - Resigning with Spurs or retirement

Brook Lopez - Potential realistic option. Good offensive Center that does not rebound or defend well.

Greg Monroe - Potential realistic option. Good offensive Center that does not defend well. Knicks are the front runner.

Enes Kanter - Thunder clearing cap space to resign him.

Robin Lopez - Good role player Center. Started with Blazers. Double Double threat with energy alone. Not looking for his own offense and decent on defense.

Omer Asik - Good role player Center. Had a couple good years with the Bulls but has struggled since then. Limited offensively but a great rebounder. Plays good position defense but does not block a lot of shots.

From these guys, I think Lakers should target Robin Lopez or Omer Asik. These guys should not command a max contract like Marc Gasol. I think a max contract for DJ would be a mistake because he can be forced off the floor during Hack-a-DJ strategy and can't create offense for himself.

The other guy I like is Ed Davis. He wants to return to the Lakers and is seeking a multi-year deal averaging $7-10 million per year. With the Salary Cap increasing next year, it would be really helpful if we can lock in good players at long term deals now instead of having them re-up next year. I would give Ed Davis a 4 year deal averaging $8 million per year. If you aren't sold on him yet, his PER was 20 while Lopez was 16.3 and Asik was 15.5.

It's important to sign the Center to a small enough deal that will leave enough room to offer the Aldridges and Loves a max contract.

Lakers can also free up $5 million more cap space by trading Nick Young. One option that might work is to trade Nick Young to the Cavs for Brendan Haywood. Lakers would immediately waive Haywood since his contract is non-guaranteed. Cavs might do this to replace JR Smith.

Side note: Robert Upshaw is on the Lakers summer league team and if he is over his off the court issues, Lakers should sign him to a minimum contract for his Defensive capabilities.

Last edited by chekmatex4 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

My personal preference is Robin Lopez

But I also like Tyson Chandler

And then there's also Brandan Wright
888lakers
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject:

That is a great writeup.

Of course you would love to get -
Marc Gasol
DeAndre Jordan
Tim Duncan
but they are all most likely signing with their current teams.

I like -
Brook Lopez
Greg Monroe
Enes Kanter
but don't like them enough as their defense will not be strong enough.

So I think the best case is to try to sign Aldridge and have him play power foward 100% as he does not like playing center. You will offer Aldridge $80M (in total) over 4 years, but hopefully in year 1 you can structure it where you pay him less to free up more money, but pay him more in subsequent years. (Can you still do what the Rockets did with Jeremy Lin's contract where like the first few years he got $5M a year and then on the final year he got like $15M).

And then with the money leftover (and with hopefully be freed of the contract obligations from Young, Kelly, etc.) that it is enough to pay Robin Lopez or Omer Asik or Tyson Chandler or Ed Davis (maybe). And of course we would hope that Robert Upshaw pans out.
misterrunon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Brook Lopez, Monroe, or Kanter would be the death of our rebuild. We already have 2 perceived bad defenders as part of our core.. you want to add another one? Especially Kanter.. he might be the worst defensive center in the NBA.
W_lakers4life_W
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:44 am    Post subject:

My Ranking would be: (also considering age, salary...)

1. DeAndre Jordan

2. Robin Lopez

3. Omer Asik

4. Tyson Chandler

5. Marc Gasol

6. Ed Davis

7. LaMarcus Aldridge
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject:

My top four (today) would be (all with ~$18.9M max potential)

K Love: 6-10, 260; 27 in Sept; 18.7/11.8/2.4/.566 TS/.814 FT/22.5 PER/.185 WS/48; comparable C to PF but with limited min.

Aldridge: 6-11, 240; 30 in July; 19.4/08.4/1.9/.532 TS/.798 FT/20.3 PER/.145 WS/48; comparable C to PF but with limited min.

DJordan: 6/11, 250; 27 in July; 08.0/09.0/.5/.622 TS/.417 FT/17.2 PER/.155 WS/48; True center, stats much better last 2 yrs.

MaGasol: 7/1, 265; 31 in Jan; 14.1/07.9/3.0/.566 TS/.758 FT/18.7 PER/.161 WS/48; True center
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Robin Lopez
Tyson Chandler
Omer Asik
LaMarcus Alridge
Ed Davis
Brandon Wright

That is pretty much the list

Brook Lopez would work, but I think he re-ups with the Nets, same for Love, Gasol, Jordan is Clippers or Dallas.
indy_dave000
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject:

You can get Roy Hibbert cheap the Pacers had hoped he'd join David West and opt out of his final year of his contract. The Pacers want to play uptempo and told Hibbert at the end of last season his playing will be cut this season.

The Pacers further showed Hibbert their desire to go quicker by drafting Myles Turner in this years draft.
Old_School_JWest
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Hibbert

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports reported the Lakers and Pacers are finalizing a deal that would send Hibbert to the Lakers. Los Angeles would take Hibbert's $15.5 million salary on with the Pacers receiving picks and the rights to overseas players.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2507159-roy-hibbert-trade-rumors-latest-news-and-speculation-surrounding-pacers-c
indy_dave000
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject:

I only told you on Tuesday, so I'm not surprised had been expecting it to be for virtually nothing but cap space as it turns out being . This way the Pacers didn't have to take on a bad contract to trade Roy.

Roy's going to have to develop thick skin in LA , the media what little there is of it here, handled Roy with kid gloves. He is what he is 10-12 ppg, 7-8 rpg and around 2 blocks per.

Be ready for the highs and lows of Roy and his fragile self confidence. Roy is a really nice guy and can be out going but he will also have periods of moodiness. But Pacer fans wish Roy success as a Laker.
candyzsan316
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Available Centers

chekmatex4 wrote:
Lakers addressed PG/SG by drafting D'Angelo Russell and now need to focus on C through free agency.

While I agree with you on the fact that we need a strong presence at the C, I think we all have to be honest with ourselves--why on Earth would any of these players even consider coming to play for us? We don't exactly have a great track record for treating our big men well.
Old_School_JWest
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Available Centers

candyzsan316 wrote:
chekmatex4 wrote:
Lakers addressed PG/SG by drafting D'Angelo Russell and now need to focus on C through free agency.

While I agree with you on the fact that we need a strong presence at the C, I think we all have to be honest with ourselves--why on Earth would any of these players even consider coming to play for us? We don't exactly have a great track record for treating our big men well.

Please tell me you're not referring to Shaq and Dwight??? If you recall Shaq pretty much sank his chances to remain in LA when he wanted/demanded a 2 year $78 million extension and was said to have yelled at Buss during an exhibition game "pay me the money"

As for Dwight, well he's weak and a baby. Granted, D'Antoni didn't know how to coach this guy but Dwight's self-anointed best big attitude didn't help either.

As for Wilt, Kareem, and Vlade I say they were treated well. You could make a case for Vlade being traded. I believe he was upset, but it was for the best as we got Kobe in return and then got Shaq.

Have I missed these bigs you speak of?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: