** 2015-2016 Los Angeles Kings Official Discussion Thread **
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject:

With Schenn in the fold, I guess that makes McBain the #7 defenseman? Although he'll still probably play over Ehrhoff some of the time. And I think McBain has played pretty well this season. We're back to having some nice depth at the blue line. And I'm fine with Lecavalier centering the last line, as he's hungry at the end of his career and he has to be an upgrade on Andreoff at this point.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Kings close to announcing 8-year deal with Kopitar worth $80MM, according to reports.

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject:

8 years?!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
8 years?!

It's going to be the third-highest AAV in hockey, behind only Toews and Kane from the Blackhawks. I don't know how well Kopi will be playing in 6-8 years, but there's no doubt that he's the heart and soul of what the Kings' system does on offense. Great skill, great size, great defensive ability. He does so much more than more ballyhooed offensive players, and he and Toews are probably the best two-way centers in hockey.

Next season, Dustin Brown and Marian Gaborik are probably candidates to be traded, IMO. Particularly if they want to try to keep Lucic, and even that might not be possible. But we've seen Dean get creative before.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
8 years?!

It's going to be the third-highest AAV in hockey, behind only Toews and Kane from the Blackhawks. I don't know how well Kopi will be playing in 6-8 years, but there's no doubt that he's the heart and soul of what the Kings' system does on offense. Great skill, great size, great defensive ability. He does so much more than more ballyhooed offensive players, and he and Toews are probably the best two-way centers in hockey.

Next season, Dustin Brown and Marian Gaborik are probably candidates to be traded, IMO. Particularly if they want to try to keep Lucic, and even that might not be possible. But we've seen Dean get creative before.

Believe me, I get that. I just didn't realize that contracts that long for anybody were going on.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
8 years?!

I can see maybe the first 3-4 years reaching near value, but afterwards will be sketchy. Rare players can have the longevity to make it worthwhile but I don't know with Kopi's style of play.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Both Getzlaf and Perry have 8-year deals with the Ducks. Duncan Keith has a THIRTEEN YEAR DEAL (for $72MM). Marian Hossa has a 12-year deal for $62.8MM. Henrik Zetterberg has a 12-year, $73MM deal. Evgeni Malkin has an 8-year deal for $76MM. Both Zach Parise and Ryan Suter signed identical 13-year, $98MM contracts with the Wild. Sidney Crosby got a 12-year, $104.4MM deal. Shea Weber got a 14-year deal! (For $110MM.) And Alex Ovechkin has a 13-year pact for $124MM.

Also, I remember that Ilya Kovalchuk got that ridiculous 15-year deal with the Devils, before going back to Russia.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
8 years?!

Believe me, I get that. I just didn't realize that contracts that long for anybody were going on.

It's part of the last CBA to try to eliminate any more Kovalchuk contracts. Maximum a team can re-sign someone is 8 years, free-agents is 7 years. It also does away with any cap recapture penalties since only the old deals over 8 years will have that attached. Even with it, man did Chicago get a bargain with Duncan Keith.

I don't know how the Kings going forward are gonna be able to handle the cap with so many key players needing to be re-signed. Dustin Brown and Gaborik would have to be dealt just to clear space, and even then the Kings would have to retain a big portion of their contracts. It doesn't help that there's not really a lot in their pipeline ready to take over key spots. Lombardi is gonna have a lot of work to do the next few years while the window is open.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject:

The Kopitar deal is official. Full no-move clause through 2020, and then a limited no-trade after that.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Pathetic loss today. Should have known what was going to happen when we had to get back in our car and drive to the game because the Expo line was shutdown.

Total choke job (though that unbelievable double minor in the third didn't help).
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Pathetic loss today. Should have known what was going to happen when we had to get back in our car and drive to the game because the Expo line was shutdown.

Total choke job (though that unbelievable double minor in the third didn't help).

Nothing went right for the Kings, but they had their opportunities to blow the game open and blew it along with Anderson making big saves. Refs don't call a high-stick done on Carter but call a 4 minute one in the third that was the gamebreaker... and it was pretty weak. Muzzin was hot garbage allowing the tying goal. Just a complete meltdown when they were dominating the game. Now they have to win tomorrow against the Ducks or their perennial winter slide is coming.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:10 pm    Post subject:

That Muzzin turnover has to be the single worst turnover I've seen a Kings defenseman make in the last few years. How do you not only get the pass stolen, but telegraph it so badly that the other guy literally steals it AND shoots it instantly at the same time? I'm not sure I've ever seen that, and I've been watching Kings games since I was a kid in 1986.

Just a horrific third period. Gotta put it behind us and come out with some fire against the Ducks tomorrow.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Heading to the Honda Center soon to watch the game tonight. I'll be in full Kings garb. I'm sure I won't be the only one.

GKG.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Heading to the Honda Center soon to watch the game tonight. I'll be in full Kings garb. I'm sure I won't be the only one.

GKG.

Hope your trip goes better than mine to Staples yesterday.

#GKG
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Schenn may have been the prize piece of the trade, but LeCavalier's looking a little more like his Lightning days.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:05 am    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Schenn may have been the prize piece of the trade, but LeCavalier's looking a little more like his Lightning days.

Yes he looks rejuvenated. Schenn worries me a little. Yeah, he's a big guy and he is pretty good on the PK. But on a regular shift, he reminds me of Matt Greene a bit. Which is to say that he isn't the most fluid skater and not the best puck-mover. I mean, he's certainly not bad, but I just wonder if he's an improvement on the guys we were playing when it's 5-on-5. I suppose time will tell.

It was a good win tonight. We were just holding on for dear life at the end. Got very lucky they didn't tie it up late.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:02 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Yes he looks rejuvenated. Schenn worries me a little. Yeah, he's a big guy and he is pretty good on the PK. But on a regular shift, he reminds me of Matt Greene a bit. Which is to say that he isn't the most fluid skater and not the best puck-mover. I mean, he's certainly not bad, but I just wonder if he's an improvement on the guys we were playing when it's 5-on-5. I suppose time will tell.

It was a good win tonight. We were just holding on for dear life at the end. Got very lucky they didn't tie it up late.

Damn near happened too. If those two Ducks don't cross ticks on that late rebound put back, that puck goes in the goal.
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject:

As if we didn't know already!
MAJIC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject:

He's also been the best 2 way Centerman for a while now as well.

(Don't Toews me bro)
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject:

MAJIC wrote:
He's also been the best 2 way Centerman for a while now as well.

(Don't Toews me bro)

Kopitar and Toews are great all-around players. You can't go wrong with them. They do everything well.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

With Greene pretty much out for a long time, it's no surprise why Dean went after a younger clone. Greene's still an alternate captain so that leadership is still missing, but Schenn certainly fills his niche. I had tickets to tomorrows game but decided to let someone else enjoy sitting behind the Kings bench in a charity raffle. :|

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

With Greene pretty much out for a long time, it's no surprise why Dean went after a younger clone. Greene's still an alternate captain so that leadership is still missing, but Schenn certainly fills his niche. I had tickets to tomorrows game but decided to let someone else enjoy sitting behind the Kings bench in a charity raffle. :|

Yes it's definitely not a surprise. And ultimately I trust that Darryl Sutter knows a hell of a lot more about what's good for his team than I do, that's for sure!

I watched some of the Kings-Ducks game back on TV late last night, after having actually attended the game. Lecavalier looked as good on TV as I thought he did in person. Just looked lively and skilled. Hope he can play like this for the rest of the season.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:29 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

Yes it's definitely not a surprise. And ultimately I trust that Darryl Sutter knows a hell of a lot more about what's good for his team than I do, that's for sure!

I watched some of the Kings-Ducks game back on TV late last night, after having actually attended the game. Lecavalier looked as good on TV as I thought he did in person. Just looked lively and skilled. Hope he can play like this for the rest of the season.

I've seen LeCavalier's play with the Lightning, this is the closest he's been since then. Maybe the change of scenery and chance for another title is putting the spark back in those old legs. He could be what Mike Richards was supposed to be (Thanks Flyers!). Just need another ex-Blue Jacket and our title run is confirmed!

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
rwongega wrote:

I've seen LeCavalier's play with the Lightning, this is the closest he's been since then. Maybe the change of scenery and chance for another title is putting the spark back in those old legs. He could be what Mike Richards was supposed to be (Thanks Flyers!). Just need another ex-Blue Jacket and our title run is confirmed!

I'm not sure what else the Kings could be thinking as far as trade upgrades. I suppose a true top-6 forward wouldn't hurt, but they would probably have to move Gaborik or Brown out to get that accomplished. My guess is that this is what they will go to war with, and I think it's certainly enough to get it done.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject:

Big win!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 6 of 15
Jump to: