LeBron will opt-out and take "Wait & See" approach with Cavs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:03 am    Post subject:

kwase wrote:
999 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
999 wrote:
I think Lebron James has too much pride to be a clipper....

wearing that jersey automatically identifies you as the dirtiest piece of filth in the NBA

Yes, because the city of Cleveland is proud of its sporting traditions.

rather be a CAV than a POS Clipper

Me too. Cleveland gets a bad rap, it's a great sports town. On the other hand, if you took a poll I'd bet most L.A. fans want the clippers to go away.

Even if they move to Anaheim, I'd respect them a little more like I do the Ducks and the Angels. No hate at all towards those two. I just don't want them here claiming they're THE team in LA.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
marga86 wrote:
would absolutely be against getting lebron.

Why?

If you want to win in today's NBA, a lot of building has to come through drafting.

I've personally grown fond of hoping (yes u read correctly) that our young guys develop and maybe create a dynasty. Bringing lebron over means that the lakers will bend over backwards trying to get pieces around him.. Which means our hand will be forced to move players and all the suffering in the past 3 years will go to waste.

PLUS i doubt lebron would sign a longer than 1-2 year contract
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 2:54 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
kwase wrote:
999 wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:
999 wrote:
I think Lebron James has too much pride to be a clipper....

wearing that jersey automatically identifies you as the dirtiest piece of filth in the NBA

Yes, because the city of Cleveland is proud of its sporting traditions.

rather be a CAV than a POS Clipper

Me too. Cleveland gets a bad rap, it's a great sports town. On the other hand, if you took a poll I'd bet most L.A. fans want the clippers to go away.

Even if they move to Anaheim, I'd respect them a little more like I do the Ducks and the Angels. No hate at all towards those two. I just don't want them here claiming they're THE team in LA.

i rather have the clippers move to seattle and sacramento kings move to kansas city or st louis
AuraStar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:12 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if it means anything, but LeBron bought a $21 millon house in Brentwood back in November. Recently, LBJ hinted that he'd love to play with Chris Paul and he'd even take a pay cut to do it. But I don't know if the Clippers have the cap room necessary to sign him. Doc Rivers wants to re-sign his current Clippers, but the salary cap figures to make it difficult. On the other hand, the Lakers do have the space, so stay tuned...
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 12:01 pm    Post subject: Rumor: LeBron James could return to Heat if Cavaliers win championship

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/05/23/rumor-lebron-james-could-return-to-heat-if-cavaliers-win-championship/

Quote:
Rumor: LeBron James could return to Heat if Cavaliers win championship

Go back a couple months. LeBron James was sending cryptic tweets, unfollowing the Cavaliers on Twitter, showing contempt for his teammates, saying he wanted to play with Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul. LeBron’s associates reportedly insisted he could leave Cleveland again in free agency if the Cavs mistreated him.

The Cavaliers thought it was possible LeBron would leave – if they flamed out in the playoffs.

But maybe they had the situation backward.

Stephen A. Smith of ESPN:

I’ll drop one other tidbit of information, because people have been ignoring what I’ve been saying. I’ve hinted around it for months as you well know. But I’m going to say this again.

LeBron James promised the city of Cleveland, “I’m coming back to bring you that elusive title that has escaped this city since 1964.” He never said anything about staying once he does accomplish that.

I’m in Miami last week. I’m in Miami a few months ago. Skip Bayless, I’m hearing about a return to Miami if this man wins. He ain’t going nowhere if he loses. But, if he wins, his options are open. LA, but especially Miami, a return to South Beach.

Look man, there’s a lot going on. And there’s a lot riding on him winning. Losing changes everything, because it keeps there in Cleveland. But more importantly, it keeps him stuck, because he knows he can’t leave until he fulfills his promise. And if you can’t because you’re not a champion, that’s far worse than just choosing to stay because you want to.

It’s going to get very interesting. Keep your eyes on it.

This sounds crazy. But at one point, it seemed unlikely LeBron would leave his hometown team with a nationally televised announcement – and he did that. It once seemed downright impossible he’d return to Cleveland – and he did that. So, I’m reluctant to rule anything out.

It’s also worth revisiting his Sports Illustrated letter:

My goal is still to win as many titles as possible, no question. But what’s most important for me is bringing one trophy back to Northeast Ohio.

I always believed that I’d return to Cleveland and finish my career there. I just didn’t know when. After the season, free agency wasn’t even a thought. But I have two boys and my wife, Savannah, is pregnant with a girl. I started thinking about what it would be like to raise my family in my hometown. I looked at other teams, but I wasn’t going to leave Miami for anywhere except Cleveland. The more time passed, the more it felt right. This is what makes me happy.

LeBron doesn’t explicitly promise to retire a Cavalier, nor does he promise to win a title for Northeast Ohio. But as much as he promises one, he promises the other.

So, if he leads the Cavs to a title then uses that as an excuse to bolt, that would strike me as pretty disingenuous spin of his original message.

But it doesn’t matter how I view it. It matters how LeBron sees it.

And, as we’ve seen, that’s difficult to predict from the outside.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) LeBron.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LeBron made a good move for the ream. Gilbert has to do something to keep him. That means signing good players to make a run again next season.

James has the leverage of the city. He came home took the team to the finals and has a good change to do it again.

He'll opt in. That contracts him for another year. He's keeping all avenues open. Hate if you will, it's a good move.

I agree, the haters are looking for a reason to hate.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
marga86 wrote:

Why?

If you want to win in today's NBA, a lot of building has to come through drafting.

I've personally grown fond of hoping (yes u read correctly) that our young guys develop and maybe create a dynasty. Bringing lebron over means that the lakers will bend over backwards trying to get pieces around him.. Which means our hand will be forced to move players and all the suffering in the past 3 years will go to waste.

This concept that we have to somehow do it all ourselves by building from the ground up is something I don't get at all.

Who has EVER done this? I would bet that any championship team built that team by a combination of techniques. Draft, trades and free agent signings.

Certainly EVERY single Laker championship from the past had a mix of talent brought in from all the scenarios. Wilt, Shaq, Kobe, Wilkes, Thompson, McAdoo, Scott, Goodrich, Jabbar, etc etc etc.

I don't get your sentiment, to me it's just plain weird in a fetish like way.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Hater or not, (bleep) lebron.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
marga86 wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
marga86 wrote:

Why?

This concept that we have to somehow do it all ourselves by building from the ground up is something I don't get at all.

Who has EVER done this? I would bet that any championship team built that team by a combination of techniques. Draft, trades and free agent signings.

Certainly EVERY single Laker championship from the past had a mix of talent brought in from all the scenarios. Wilt, Shaq, Kobe, Wilkes, Thompson, McAdoo, Scott, Goodrich, Jabbar, etc etc etc.

I don't get it either. You can find lots of recent ring and contending teams that were built on free agency and trades as much as drafting. There isn't one best single way to assemble talent.

That said, it's great to draft a future superstar, because they do tend to stick with the team that drafts them (but not always). However, the notion that you should hang onto unproven draftees come hell or high water because that's the best way to build a team doesn't make sense to me.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
marga86 wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
marga86 wrote:

Why?

way to ignore the most important part of my comment, which says that if we were to sign lebron, we'd trade any 'future' for 'today'. Which is what i am mainly against, especially for a guy that likely won't sign for more than 2 years (with the second year being his option).

That's a lot different from saying, "i dont want lebron because i want to create a championship team through the draft".

He want's to sign a 5 year deal? I'll welcome him.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:34 am    Post subject:

Well it looks like championship-caliber free agents like Durant, Westbrook, Lowrie, DeRozan and even Biyombo may now be out of reach. Maybe we'll have to settle for a second tier free agent like Lebron.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:27 am    Post subject:

LeBron won't come to a western conference team. He knows exactly that he would have to work hard to even reach the finals. That might even be a reason why Durant will end up in the east (was it Washington everybody was taking about?)
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:09 am    Post subject:

marga86 wrote:
Wino wrote:
marga86 wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
marga86 wrote:

Why?

way to ignore the most important part of my comment, which says that if we were to sign lebron, we'd trade any 'future' for 'today'. Which is what i am mainly against, especially for a guy that likely won't sign for more than 2 years (with the second year being his option).

That's a lot different from saying, "i dont want lebron because i want to create a championship team through the draft".

He want's to sign a 5 year deal? I'll welcome him.

I have no problem trading a speculative future for a promising today. But like everything else, it depends on the details of the deals. I doubt any team would turn down Lebron on a short-term deal -- players like him don't come around often, and I'd bet on having him rather than bet on young players panning out.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Rumor: LeBron James could return to Heat if Cavaliers win championship

Basketball Fan wrote:
http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/05/23/rumor-lebron-james-could-return-to-heat-if-cavaliers-win-championship/

Quote:
Rumor: LeBron James could return to Heat if Cavaliers win championship

Go back a couple months. LeBron James was sending cryptic tweets, unfollowing the Cavaliers on Twitter, showing contempt for his teammates, saying he wanted to play with Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul. LeBron’s associates reportedly insisted he could leave Cleveland again in free agency if the Cavs mistreated him.

The Cavaliers thought it was possible LeBron would leave – if they flamed out in the playoffs.

But maybe they had the situation backward.

Stephen A. Smith of ESPN:

I’ll drop one other tidbit of information, because people have been ignoring what I’ve been saying. I’ve hinted around it for months as you well know. But I’m going to say this again.

LeBron James promised the city of Cleveland, “I’m coming back to bring you that elusive title that has escaped this city since 1964.” He never said anything about staying once he does accomplish that.

I’m in Miami last week. I’m in Miami a few months ago. Skip Bayless, I’m hearing about a return to Miami if this man wins. He ain’t going nowhere if he loses. But, if he wins, his options are open. LA, but especially Miami, a return to South Beach.

Look man, there’s a lot going on. And there’s a lot riding on him winning. Losing changes everything, because it keeps there in Cleveland. But more importantly, it keeps him stuck, because he knows he can’t leave until he fulfills his promise. And if you can’t because you’re not a champion, that’s far worse than just choosing to stay because you want to.

It’s going to get very interesting. Keep your eyes on it.

This sounds crazy. But at one point, it seemed unlikely LeBron would leave his hometown team with a nationally televised announcement – and he did that. It once seemed downright impossible he’d return to Cleveland – and he did that. So, I’m reluctant to rule anything out.

It’s also worth revisiting his Sports Illustrated letter:

My goal is still to win as many titles as possible, no question. But what’s most important for me is bringing one trophy back to Northeast Ohio.

I always believed that I’d return to Cleveland and finish my career there. I just didn’t know when. After the season, free agency wasn’t even a thought. But I have two boys and my wife, Savannah, is pregnant with a girl. I started thinking about what it would be like to raise my family in my hometown. I looked at other teams, but I wasn’t going to leave Miami for anywhere except Cleveland. The more time passed, the more it felt right. This is what makes me happy.

LeBron doesn’t explicitly promise to retire a Cavalier, nor does he promise to win a title for Northeast Ohio. But as much as he promises one, he promises the other.

So, if he leads the Cavs to a title then uses that as an excuse to bolt, that would strike me as pretty disingenuous spin of his original message.

But it doesn’t matter how I view it. It matters how LeBron sees it.

And, as we’ve seen, that’s difficult to predict from the outside.

Wut????
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:33 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Well it looks like championship-caliber free agents like Durant, Westbrook, Lowrie, DeRozan and even Biyombo may now be out of reach. Maybe we'll have to settle for a second tier free agent like Lebron.

I never thought Durant was much of an option at all, but I think that Derozan and Biyombo are very much in play. And if we have to land Lebron, then we bite that bullet
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:

Funny how the "championship-caliber free agents" have never actually won a championship, but "the second tier free agent" has won two.

Thank goodness for that word "caliber" huh? Takes all the pressure off actually accomplishing anything
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

I never thought Durant was much of an option at all, but I think that Derozan and Biyombo are very much in play. And if we have to land Lebron, then we bite that bullet

I think the only way we land Lebron is by trading our team and the #2 for Melo and CP3.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
I think the only way we land Lebron is by trading our team and the #2 for Melo and CP3.

I'm not a fan of Melo, but I'd trade our current team/prospects for four years of Lebron, Paul, and a third star, preferably a big.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:18 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
vanexelent wrote:

I'm not a fan of Melo, but I'd trade our current team/prospects for four years of Lebron, Paul, and a third star, preferably a big.

you won't get 4 years of lebron. He won't commit to it.

I mean, i'll trade our current team/prospects for 4 years of curry, durant, boogie

see i can be unrealistic too.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9
Jump to: