By the Numbers: D'Angelo Russell
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Let's just hope he doesn't end up like the other combo guard that was drafted #2 from Ohio State...
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject:

56 wrote:
Let's just hope he doesn't end up like the other combo guard that was drafted #2 from Ohio State...

Turner was a SG/SF combo. If they didn't go to the same school at weren't picked in the same slot, you'd never hear them compared to each other.
krapjnad
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
56 wrote:

Turner was a SG/SF combo. If they didn't go to the same school at weren't picked in the same slot, you'd never hear them compared to each other.

well, they have do have the type of "comparative" characteristics that bspn and elias sports b, et al love to hype. while they usually have little to no significance, they sometimes provoke thought
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:26 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
56 wrote:

Right, they have their differences but both were touted as high-IQ players, with excellent passing but limited athleticism. Both were also compared to a Brandon Roy-type player...
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject:

56 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
56 wrote:

Right, they have their differences but both were touted as high-IQ players, with excellent passing but limited athleticism. Both were also compared to a Brandon Roy-type player...

Turner never had Russell's jumper.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:39 am    Post subject:

30 wrote:
56 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
56 wrote:

There's no comparison between Turner's freshman year production and Russell's. Russell also measures far better for his position.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:44 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
30 wrote:
56 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
56 wrote:

There's no comparison between Turner's freshman year production and Russell's. Russell also measures far better for his position.

foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject:

I have watched a few of his games recently. My take on Russell is that offensively, he should be good to real good. He shoots well, he see the whole court, he involves his teammates and is unselfish, he can drive and finish. I think he will play well in the summer league too (I am going!).

I have watched him struggle plenty on the defensive end though. He gets beat by drivers, and without a good big man to bail him out, the lakers are going to be in trouble. He doesn't move his feet well enough, he gets out of position too easily, he gives up too soon when getting beat (which is too often) and sometimes seems less interested to play that end of the game. In summary, I think he will be pretty bad the 1st year defensively (unless he really commits to the defensive end). But like most young players, I do think he can learn to be an adequate defender. His hands a pretty quick and I do think he will get some steals like Curry does. He can and does rebound pretty well for his size too. But his lack of elite athleticism will prevent him from ever being a top notch defender in the league. Yet, Curry and Harden, both cut of the same cloth, are adequate at least. And that is how I see Russell.
srm90
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject:

foreveralakerfan wrote:
I have watched a few of his games recently. My take on Russell is that offensively, he should be good to real good. He shoots well, he see the whole court, he involves his teammates and is unselfish, he can drive and finish. I think he will play well in the summer league too (I am going!).

I have watched him struggle plenty on the defensive end though. He gets beat by drivers, and without a good big man to bail him out, the lakers are going to be in trouble. He doesn't move his feet well enough, he gets out of position too easily, he gives up too soon when getting beat (which is too often) and sometimes seems less interested to play that end of the game. In summary, I think he will be pretty bad the 1st year defensively (unless he really commits to the defensive end). But like most young players, I do think he can learn to be an adequate defender. His hands a pretty quick and I do think he will get some steals like Curry does. He can and does rebound pretty well for his size too. But his lack of elite athleticism will prevent him from ever being a top notch defender in the league. Yet, Curry and Harden, both cut of the same cloth, are adequate at least. And that is how I see Russell.

Well, we have our big man now.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Did anyone catch his elimination game in the tourney? Any reason why he struggled (team just overmatched?)?

Any comparisons on how he fared vs other NBA level guards during the year?
He didn't play good against most of the elite teams. That was my concerns about him.

We have to keep in mind that Russell had a lot of average (or worse) teammates. None of them can create their own shot, and to make matters worse most of them couldn't hit an open jumper either. Russell had to create for everyone, and defenses knew they could focus on him.

To magnify the problem, because Ohio State wasn't a great team they were often trailing in their games against elite teams in the final minutes, which forced Russell to start forcing plays that he otherwise wouldn't. Everyone's numbers will go down in those situations. In normal circumstances Russell plays under great control, and if the shot isn't there he'll make a great pass to a teammate with something better.
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject:

srm90 wrote:
foreveralakerfan wrote:

That they do. A very nice pick up by the lakers!
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:
Dave20 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Did anyone catch his elimination game in the tourney? Any reason why he struggled (team just overmatched?)?

Any comparisons on how he fared vs other NBA level guards during the year?
He didn't play good against most of the elite teams. That was my concerns about him.

We have to keep in mind that Russell had a lot of average (or worse) teammates. None of them can create their own shot, and to make matters worse most of them couldn't hit an open jumper either. Russell had to create for everyone, and defenses knew they could focus on him.

To magnify the problem, because Ohio State wasn't a great team they were often trailing in their games against elite teams in the final minutes, which forced Russell to start forcing plays that he otherwise wouldn't. Everyone's numbers will go down in those situations. In normal circumstances Russell plays under great control, and if the shot isn't there he'll make a great pass to a teammate with something better.

You have to remember that most of the good teams have multiple good players on them, unlike OSU. The teams doubled him, forced him out, and pretty much just tried to make someone else on that team beat them. Even when they didn't do this, Russell often had to try to do things himself when his teammates weren't getting it done. My biggest concern in the first year is that he learns to play real D instead of the "matador defense" (quoting chickie) that he played at times. He is a good enough athlete that the can learn to play good team D - Magic was the same. He was not a good one on one guy by any stretch of the imagination, but he was a very good team defender. That's the hope with Russell...
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Russell time will tell, it's hard to determine what he will eventually turn out to be. Lot's of factors involved, playing with new team, different offense, different speed, tougher competition, and although very young he's level headed and wants to learn (which is very important).
His biggest problem and he himself confirms, is the 24 second clock, he's still playing at 30 second count. His decisions will have to come faster, and he will need to push the offense speed. He can't lay back like in college dribbling waiting for others to make a move while he quarterbacks. Not in the nba which will require very fast sets and fast execution and taking the initiative. I saw him call for picks way to often looking helpless as his defender was crowding him. Needs to take it to the basket and show defenders he can move past them and score so as to create for perimeter shoters. He cannot expect picks to be set on every play he will have to be a play maker at some point create for himself this is the NBA.
Funny how Clarkson said; I have to be more of a facilitator, realizing that Russell is having trouble creating, and having to take the reigns in that department. I don't think hes' that slow but hasn't developed that part of the game. Work on floaters, change of speed, and being aggressive with pushing the issue. Russell cannot make himself look like a pass only guard or the NBA will murder him, he will be absolutely useless. If he's going to do that he's going to have to be a superb perimeter shooter, and be able to move without the ball. I did not see one instance where he made himself available for the shot. He just wanted to control the tempo and look for passing angles.
His game as others have said: is an old school game, very half court oriented. This surprised me until I went back and watched some Ohio state games most where based on half court sets. Kobe will certainly love this and will ask for the ball if he sees Russell over dribbling and not creating anything productive.
I think the kid is smart, I hope he's a hard worker and doesn't just give up and take the, "I'm great road" and not see his weaknesses. Based on what I've heard from him, he seems like he understands what's in front of him and is willing to work hard. Lets see if he puts his money where his mouth is. He will have many frustrating nights, and us Lakers fans won't make it any easier as the team starts to lose consistently. I have hopes but it will be an uphill climb.
rodg12
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject:

56 wrote:

……(\_/)
……(‘_’) prepare the Hot Take Cannon
…./”"”"”"”"”"”"\======¦ ¦¦¦¦D
/”"”"”"”"”"”"”"”"”"”\
\_@_@_@_@_@_@_/
TheSportsOracle
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:43 pm    Post subject:

fire madsen
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject:

I think Sportsnet mentioned this, but someone said that Russell looks to be like Conley. At first I dismissed it, but now that I had some time to think about it, there might be some thing there.

Does anyone remember how Conley was like defensively in college? Does is he seem similar to Russell?

We all agree Conley is a great defender, but is he really that much more athletic than Russell? I don't think he is.

Russell could actually become a good defensive player thanks to his great size, length, and IQ.

His defense during SL has been impressive and I wonder if that gives us hope that he could be a plus on that end.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Sacreligious wrote:
I think Sportsnet mentioned this, but someone said that Russell looks to be like Conley. At first I dismissed it, but now that I had some time to think about it, there might be some thing there.

Does anyone remember how Conley was like defensively in college? Does is he seem similar to Russell?

We all agree Conley is a great defender, but is he really that much more athletic than Russell? I don't think he is.

Russell could actually become a good defensive player thanks to his great size, length, and IQ.

His defense during SL has been impressive and I wonder if that gives us hope that he could be a plus on that end.

it was Mychal Thompson who said that. That's what Russell looks like when he is being neutered by Scott's Princeton
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TheSportsOracle
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Mark Madsen is a clown
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:42 pm    Post subject:

foreveralakerfan wrote:
srm90 wrote:
foreveralakerfan wrote:

That they do. A very nice pick up by the lakers!

How long before everyone here starts calling him Ssssllllooooowwww Hibbert.
monster_montego
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject:

[Randomness Deleted -db]
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
iceberg01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject:

One thing I noticed about Russell before the draft, and especially now, is that his comfort zone is from about 19" to 23" out, from the elbows to the three-point line. He literally will take one step in from the 3-point line & pick up his dribble to either pull up, shoot a step-back, or look to pass, and it looks like the book is already out on him. Kid has to get the mindset to penetrate & draw defenders to him to make easier passes: he's not going to be able to operate in one little box on the court.

On the other hand, I think the reason the Lakers drafted him is something that's not measurable: I think the kid has a burning desire to improve, and will. I'm banking on that drive as well.

I don't expect him to fix his issues overnight, but I'm hoping he has a better game today, to take some of the heat off of him.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject:

In regards to Russell, he seems like he has the right perspective and I'm sure that's one of the things the Lakers FO took a long look at when deciding Russell over Okafor. Even though OK4 seems to have a similar demeanor and perspective, but it was a questionable call and could have went either way, I'm going to bank with the conspiracy and believe the Lakers had a promise from Aldridge!
Never the Less, numbers can't be counted on in rookie seasons IMO. There's just too much talent in the NBA. I believe a player has to come in and work as hard as he can to make a difference on his team and the numbers will speak for themselves.

I think Russell will have a high turnover ratio, and a decent shooting % but overall to win in this game it takes team work and chemistry!

He will take about 20 games or so before he can really begin to build a chemistry with the rest Vets on the team, Kobe, Bass, Hibbert etc. Those guys are going to make him look good, one way or another, but IMO he probably won't start the game and may come of the bench.

I can for-see these type of rotation:

Clarkson-Kobe-Young-Bass-Hibbert (1st Unit)
Russell-Williams-Nance Jr.-Randle-Black (2nd Unit/small ball)
Russell-Clarkson-Kobe-Randle-Hibbert (At Times)
Williams-Kobe-Young-Bass-Hibbert (Vet Unit)

Just IMO, but who finishes games remains to be seen, I'm sure we will have an opportunity to see who really gets playing time after the pre-season, but I can tell you now that there will still be a lack of chemistry then unless the players totally gel, which hasn't been the case so far in Summer League...

Russell will be fine and should be a ROY candidate, but it all depends on his production and we won't be able to see that until the season starts!
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:28 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:

How long before everyone here starts calling him Ssssllllooooowwww Hibbert.

I'm surprised people haven't mentioned it but Mason on 710 already has a sound byte cued up that he keeps repeating that says "SLOOOW ROYYYY..."
bonkers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:59 pm    Post subject:

Some numbers from summer league:

D'angelo Russell (5 games played):

eFG%-39.3
TS%-43.4
Total Rebound%-9.32
Assist Rate-21.7
TOV%-27.65
Usage Rate-27.24

Emmanuel Mudiay (4 games played):

eFG%-40.4
TS%-41.9
Total Rebound%-6.53
Assist Rate-30.04
TOV%-25.88
Usage Rate-26.48
lakern8
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject:

Here's a quote you never want the #2 draft pick to say:

"Being nonchalant won't cut it, and I kind of get in the bad habit of being nonchalant," he said.

Tell me guys, did we do ANY behavioral interviewing with D'Angelo or did we just see the ESPN Sport Science and a silky smooth left jump shot and think he could hang? Wow. SMH.

Not only is he too slow out there, he isn't as good of a passer as people make him out to be (against superior D that is), and his shot is very slow release compared to others at the position. He can't get to the hole regularly or break his defender down and he has trouble finding openings for his teammates.

The great news is he has a sweet haircut, including on his eyebrows and could fit in with the Kardashian clan with ease. Way to go Jim and Mitch. Way to go.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: