D'Angelo Russell Complete Games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject: D'Angelo Russell Complete Games

Saw a few of these posted, so I found a few more and put them in their own thread. If you come across any other complete games, please add them.

Ohio St. vs. Marquette - 11-18-14

6 points (2-5, 2-3 3PT), 2 boards, 4 assists, 7 turnovers

Ohio St. vs Sacred Heart - 11-23-14
32 points (12-21, 4-8 3PT), 9 boards, 5 assists, 2 turnovers

Ohio St. vs Campbell - 11-26-14
22 points (9-13, 4-6 3PT), 2 boards, 7 assists, 0 turnovers

Ohio St. vs Indiana - 1-25-15
22 points (9-15, 2-7 3PT), 6 boards, 10 assists, 2 steals

Ohio St. vs. Maryland - 1-29-15
18 points, (6-12, 4-6 3PT), 14 boards, 6 assists, 2 steals, 0 turnovers

Ohio St. vs Rutgers - 2-8-15
23 points (8-13, 3-7 3PT), 11 boards, 11 assists, 2 turnovers

Ohio St. vs Michigan St. - 2-14-15
10 points (4-13, 2-7 3PT), 5 board, 6 assists, 2 turnovers

Ohio St. vs Michigan - 2-22-15
16 points (6-15, 2-6 3PT), 5 boards, 2 assists, 5 turnovers

Ohio St. vs Wisconsin - 3-8-15
17 points (7-18, 1-7 3PT), 1 board, 5 assists, 5 turnovers

Ohio St. vs VCU - 3-19-15
28 points, (10-20, 4-7 3PT), 6 boards, 1 assist, 4 turnovers

Ohio St. vs Arizona - 3-21-15
9 points, (3-19, 1-7 3PT), 7 boards, 6 assists, 1 turnover
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Great post. I dont like those numbers against the better teams...will take a look
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Added the VCU and Marquette games to the OP, DB.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject:

BTW, the Indiana game is my favorite. They get down early, and then he takes over with scoring, passing, & ball denial.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject:

The only Wyoming full game I can find. Appreciated if there is more. Thanks.
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:42 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
BTW, the Indiana game is my favorite. They get down early, and then he takes over with scoring, passing, & ball denial.

Loved that game for him. Showcased his repertoire. Liked the part when announcers told the story of Russell watching game tapes and pulling teammates to show specific things to work on. As a freshmen? That's Kobesque nerdage. Love it.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject:

Man, great thread. I've seen all of his games at least twice but I have a couple weeks before I fly out tov gas for aummer league so this will keep me busy until then. Thank you!
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
Great post. I dont like those numbers against the better teams...will take a look

That was my concern going into the draft. Russell was 1-8 against the better teams and shot 48-147 for a percentage of .327. To his defense however, his coach said that teams focused their defense on him and with not much help around him he was somewhat screwed.
penston
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Tom Arnold coaches the Hoosiers?
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Loved that game for him. Showcased his repertoire. Liked the part when announcers told the story of Russell watching game tapes and pulling teammates to show specific things to work on. As a freshmen? That's Kobesque nerdage. Love it.

Thank, DB, for providing all these games!

I'm watching the Indiana game right now.
I didn't realize he had a little post game, too. He showed a really nice TAJ to the baseline. Seems like he really knows how to utilize his size/length.

And his D is underrated, imo. He's a smart defender. He has really good, quick hands and anticipates well.
He also has a great knack for being in the right spots for rebounds.
He's really smart. He's special.

Also - one of the announcers (Clark Kellog?) said his nickname is "Doc."
I can dig that.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject:

^ The concern about his D should just be related to his man D. I think he'll be a very good team defender because of his hoop IQ and how he reads things. And, yes, team D also includes rebounding, which he excels at. I love rebounding guards, makes a big difference.

What you hope is that he puts the work in on the man D and effort there because every night is another tough guard to deal with. He's got length and wingspan which can sometimes make up for speed if used right. So plenty of potential here to be very effective, all things considered.

- Regarding his post game, he's got the turnaround, but also good at getting to the middle of the paint around who he's posting up. I don't recall if any of the games here show that.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Not to sound like an apologist, but I'm curious to see how he defends when he has less of an offensive burden. Russell Westbrook, for example was the DPOY in the Pac-10, but didn't play especially good defense this year.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:08 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
^ The concern about his D should just be related to his man D. I think he'll be a very good team defender because of his hoop IQ and how he reads things. And, yes, team D also includes rebounding, which he excels at. I love rebounding guards, makes a big difference.

What you hope is that he puts the work in on the man D and effort there because every night is another tough guard to deal with. He's got length and wingspan which can sometimes make up for speed if used right. So plenty of potential here to be very effective, all things considered.

- Regarding his post game, he's got the turnaround, but also good at getting to the middle of the paint around who he's posting up. I don't recall if any of the games here show that.

Yup. With his length and smarts (and if he's that smart, I presume he also has an amazing work ethic), I can't see why, in time, that there's anything stopping him from becoming a top-notch man defender. Expectation from the coaching staff + real game experience + some more muscle is really all he needs, imo. Doe is just so smart.

Man, any player that smart... who see situations and passes that well... who shoots and handles that well... with excellent size for his position and the post game??... jeez, we got ourselves a good one!

Can't wait to see Doc and the Freight Train runnin' ish!
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:12 pm    Post subject:

I am kind of worried about his scoring vs elite defenders
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject:

Man, some of you talked about the Arizona game as if he got straight up manhandled and punked. That wasn't the case at all. He missed some easy looks early and never really found a rhythm. He was never passive or Tony Allen'd like some were implying. It was just one of those nights where he couldn't throw a rock into the ocean.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject:

dmills wrote:
Man, some of you talked about the Arizona game as if he got straight up manhandled and punked. That wasn't the case at all. He missed some easy looks early and never really found a rhythm. He was never passive or Tony Allen'd like some were implying. It was just one of those nights where he couldn't throw a rock into the ocean.

Yep. People see 3-19 and jump to conclusions. I think Kobe once said something to the effect of "it takes a lot of talent to even be able to get 20 shots up in a game", which is hard to understand unless you play the game fairly regularly against good competition. But I think that statement definitely applies to that Arizona game. It wasn't like he got completely shut down by the likes of RHJ and Johnson, he was getting decent shots up against them.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:21 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Here's one from the Jordan Brand Classic:
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
dmills wrote:

Yep. People see 3-19 and jump to conclusions. I think Kobe once said something to the effect of "it takes a lot of talent to even be able to get 20 shots up in a game", which is hard to understand unless you play the game fairly regularly against good competition. But I think that statement definitely applies to that Arizona game. It wasn't like he got completely shut down by the likes of RHJ and Johnson, he was getting decent shots up against them.

I'll be honest with you. If I hadn't had prior knowledge of him going 3-19, I would have thought he was the best player on the floor in that game. Or at least the most outstanding. Then again, McConnell was all over the place though. Can't believe he went undrafted. Him being 6'0 with only a 6'0 wingspan may be why though lol!
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject:

Just watched the first half of the Indiana game

What stood out most was his defense. It's one of the weaknesses in the scouting report even though he has the physical tools, but in this game he did pretty well I thought

Offensively, one of the major weaknesses that has been discussed a lot is that he doesn't cut to the basket so much. Well he did it a bunch in this game so it's not like he can't do it. So some potential there.

The only gripe I could find was that he seems to carry the ball a LOT. But Curry does that a lot as well and never ever gets called for it so it's not that big of a concern to me.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject:

People shouldn't make final judgments based on that last 3-19 game. How well did Wiggins play in his final college game? Yet he ended up ROY and will only get better.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Not to sound like an apologist, but I'm curious to see how he defends when he has less of an offensive burden. Russell Westbrook, for example was the DPOY in the Pac-10, but didn't play especially good defense this year.

When your offensive usage rate is so high, you just don't have the energy to play defense at the highest level.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:06 am    Post subject:

I don't think I've ever seen that bad of an offense. That sacred heart team is awfull. Especially since they have a 35 seconds clock. 3 useless passes on the perimeter and they jack up an horrible three.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject:

43:07 of the Maryland game.. the way he splits that double team
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:44 pm    Post subject:

The full Maryland game is on ESPN right now.

Russell has bad teammates. Could've had 10 assists at least.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:33 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
dmills wrote:

either way he still got completely locked up, a pathetic performance for a guy that went number two no matter which way you slice it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: