L.A.'s NFL stadium riddle: Three teams, two plans, what to expect next
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Raiders won't be able to afford a stadium on their own unless the taxpayers fund it. Only way they come down to LA is if they partner with the Chargers or Ram. If Stan Kroenke is hell bent on coming to LA., he'll move come hell of high water. That being said with the city of St. Louis being the only city putting on a serious stadium proposal, it looks like the Chargers and Raiders are the favorites to move to Carson.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject:

In St. Louis right now, no one is talking about the recent decision as that big of a deal. I don't think it's as big of a deal breaker as you guys are making it out to be.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject:

Vishnu wrote:
In St. Louis right now, no one is talking about the recent decision as that big of a deal. I don't think it's as big of a deal breaker as you guys are making it out to be.

It's not. Besides the fact that that decision is headed for appellate hell (several already filed), it would only impact the city's funding of a stadium, presumably for some unspecified future NFL team. They can not force Stan Kroenke to spend hundreds of millions of his own money to partner up on a stadium he won't own with a city that already broke previous lease he had with them.

They. Had. A. Lease. And broke it. All bets are off. The only way the Inglewood project doesn't get approved by the NFL is if
A) the NFL owners hate money.
B) they want to start a protracted legal fight for the express purpose of establishing a precedent of forcing individual owners (themselves) to spend money they don't want to.
C) they want to go back to the 2nd largest market for the first time in twenty years with a (bleep) plan that gives them the best chance to fail - two poorly run franchises with cheap owners sharing a stadium on a toxic landfill. Oh, and the teams are in the same division... and their fans hate each other with a violent passion. And one of them in particular is decidedly corporate unfriendly.

So that the richest owner in this picture, and the second richest owner in the NFL, who is willing to spend, can be FORCED to take public money to stay in a small market. So that St Louis can feel like a major league city.

At this point, the only suspense is what backroom deal is going to be made to either facilitate stadiums in Oakland and San Diego, or to make one of those two other teams a tenant in the Rams' new LA stadium while a solution is found elsewhere for the third team.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject:

http://www.ktrs.com/lawmakers-announce-opposition-to-using-public-money-for-nfl-stadium/

Guess its a race for 3 teams to move to LA once again, my bet is the Rams are the odds on favorite with the Raiders or Chargers being the 2nd team. According to Sam Farmer on CBS Sports Central, the NFL prefers the Inglewood site so Rams are a lock and Chargers and Raiders fighting to be the 2nd tenant....
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
If the Rams aren't coming, then it looks like the Chargers are in the drivers seat. They rejected the Mission Valley stadium proposal immediately, and only want a stadium downtown....Look for them to move to LA next year, unless San Diego has a miracle the last minute.

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/chargers-reject-san-diego-s-latest-stadium-proposal-slideshow/undated-artist-rendering-provided-city-county-san-diego-photo-021022731.html

If the Chargers move then most likely the Raiders will move as well...

I don't understand why would the Chargers reject this stadium and want to move up north. This stadium looks pretty nice. I thought they wanted a new stadium in San Diego all along.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject:

WooHoo. Just when it looked like the plan was snakebit, Katies dad comes through! Welcome to LA - Chargers!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
If the Rams aren't coming, then it looks like the Chargers are in the drivers seat. They rejected the Mission Valley stadium proposal immediately, and only want a stadium downtown....Look for them to move to LA next year, unless San Diego has a miracle the last minute.

http://sports.yahoo.com/photos/chargers-reject-san-diego-s-latest-stadium-proposal-slideshow/undated-artist-rendering-provided-city-county-san-diego-photo-021022731.html

I don't understand why would the Chargers reject this stadium and want to move up north. This stadium looks pretty nice. I thought they wanted a new stadium in San Diego all along.

They want a downtown stadium in San Diego...so its either downtown or no deal.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
ksmgf wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Good luck with that. SD's downtown traffic is pretty bad already and it's kind of small comparing to LA's downtown.

They want a downtown stadium in San Diego...so its either downtown or no deal.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:

Because the Spanos family are Stockton carpetbaggers who never should have been sold the team. It really is the late Gene Klein's fault for ever selling San Diego's team to carpetbaggers from the North.

Spanos would move it to Fresno if they would pay him enough, bad owner and has created a lot of bad vibes here in San Diego County.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Where the hell is SDSU going to play if they get rid of the stadium? There is a lot of issues that would be created if the Chargers move. Mission Valley is perfect for the stadium too, drives me crazy why they wont do it. Super Bowl site every 5 years too.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Where the hell is SDSU going to play if they get rid of the stadium? There is a lot of issues that would be created if the Chargers move. Mission Valley is perfect for the stadium too, drives me crazy why they wont do it. Super Bowl site every 5 years too.

Charger fans would hate a move from Mission Valley in the short term, because every proposed site would eliminate the ability to tailgate that now exists at Qualcomm. There are definitely benefits to a downtown stadium, but tailgating all but disappears. This creates a different gameday experience, not necessarily worse - but undeniably different. Traffic concerns aren't really all that great an issue since there is simply no new place downtown to build out parking infrastructure, and rapid transit to downtown is already sufficient with the addition of gameday buses to augment the trolley.

The Oceanside proposal is just silly, and with so many north county and orange county season ticket holders, Chula Vista and National City would peeve a lot of folks off. Escondido would be a possibility, but the site itself isn't ideal. Mission Valley, or downtown do make the most sense. The real issue with staying in Mission Valley is, where the heck would the Chargers and SDSU play during the buildout?
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
goldenarmor
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:19 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
WooHoo. Just when it looked like the plan was snakebit, Katies dad comes through! Welcome to LA - Chargers!

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject:

goldenarmor wrote:
Aussiesuede wrote:

Right after Helen Miller was literally bitten on the leg by a snake, Katies dad found himself in a set of circumstances which forced him to approve the $90 million Katie needed to secure the Chargers deal! He really had no other alternative.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: