Doesn't Magic Johnson have to be the GOAT?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Doesn't Magic Johnson have to be the GOAT?
YES, Magic is the Goat
33%
 33%  [ 29 ]
No, its Jordan
29%
 29%  [ 25 ]
No, its Kareem
19%
 19%  [ 17 ]
No, its Kobe
17%
 17%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 86

hoopla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Doesn't Magic Johnson have to be the GOAT?

Seriously, doesn't Magic Johnson have to be the GOAT?

What other Goat Candidate Won in high school, won in college, than as a rookie won in the pros, played completely out of position(4 spots away from his actual position) in a finals game and won that game, and won the finals mvp.

He has 5 rings in total.

Cap would be close winning MVP his 2nd season, then also winning it all that very same season.

But to walk in as a winner, and take a team and win it all the first year. you're the GOAT especially when you throw in the 4 additional rings after that 1st one.

Someone will say but he had cap. yeah so.... but he didnt have cap and had to play CENTER.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Doesn't Magic Johnson have to be the GOAT?

hoopla wrote:

What other Goat Candidate Won in high school, won in college, than as a rookie won in the pros, played completely out of position(4 spots away from his actual position) in a finals game and won that game, and won the finals mvp.

He has 5 rings in total.

Cap would be close winning MVP his 2nd season, then also winning it all that very same season.

But to walk in as a winner, and take a team and win it all the first year. you're the GOAT especially when you throw in the 4 additional rings after that 1st one.

Someone will say but he had cap. yeah so.... but he didnt have cap and had to play CENTER.

You realize you could do the same thing for anyone on the GOAT short list -- Doesn't X have to be GOAT because who else did X Y and Z?

They all have amazing resumes,

I mean, doesn't Kareem have to GOAT? No one else won six MVP awards, was an all-star 19 times, and had as many points in their career! On top of that, he was considered the greatest player ever in college basketball and won six rings!

Just listing one players accomplishments, and unique career trajectory, doesn't make a case for why he's better than the other great GOAT shortlisters.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject:

IF Magic and the Lakers had beaten the Bulls and Jordan in the 91 finals, Magic would be considered the GOAT right now.
hoopla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Doesn't Magic Johnson have to be the GOAT?

activeverb wrote:
hoopla wrote:

He has 5 rings in total.

You realize you could do the same thing for anyone on the GOAT short list -- Doesn't X have to be GOAT because who else did X Y and Z?

They all have amazing resumes,

I mean, doesn't Kareem have to GOAT? No one else won six MVP awards, was an all-star 19 times, and had as many points in their career! On top of that, he was considered the greatest player ever in college basketball and won six rings!

Just listing one players accomplishments, and unique career trajectory, doesn't make a case for why he's better than the other great GOAT shortlisters.
No, i just set the criteria. I'm not changing the criteria.

I'm asking a question. a very simple question.

When you have a bunch of guys who have won a bunch of times in different eras with different types of teams,etc. What could be a defining thing that separates them? When you think about it. How could you not call a guy the Goat when he wins a ring his first year and is also crowned the finals MVP while also taking another goats spot so he can play completely out of position.

WHo does that? NO ONE. Thats one thing magic has over ALL of the other goat candidates. Non of them in this list above won their first year while also being tasked with carrying their team and doing so completely out of position. That has to be the GOAT. the greatest player of all time has to be able to deal with extreme adversity. What extreme adversity has kareem seen on his championship teams? You may know of some, i'm willing to listen.

What extreme adversity has jordan overcome? NOTHING. and i know. its not his fault you beat who's in front of you. so what. the question still remains, what extreme adversity has jordan overcome to win it all? Nothing.

Kobe? Can't think of anything. i want to say that game 7. but that doesnt have anything on watch magic had to do in his rookie season.

Imagine if jordan had to play PF to play Center to win it all. Could he do it? Nope. and dont say but magic was tall... Thats not the point. All of these guys had their respective gifts. The question is, who as the Goat. I'm saying it had to be magic because of that rookie season finals victory as a friggin Center. I dont care who he matched up against. it wasnt draymond green. Thats not his position at all. This is why it represents the extreme adversity i'm talking about. He was taken out of his comfort zone and he still found a way to win i all.
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:12 pm    Post subject:

Jordan.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Doesn't Magic Johnson have to be the GOAT?

If you think Magic is the GOAT, that's a respectable position. As AV says, though, you can make this kind of argument for any of the top guys. MJ made the game winning shot in the national championship game as a freshman and saved the Looney Tunes from monsters that stole the basketball talents of Shawn Bradley for some odd reason. Kobe scored 81 points and jumps over moving cars for kicks. Kareem is the all time scoring leader and works as an airline pilot on the side. Russell has so many rings that he has to use his toes and is frequently mistaken for Morgan Freeman. Wilt killed a bobcat with his bare hands, dunked free throws, and roamed the countryside with a giant blue ox. Oh, and he knew some chicks, too.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Doesn't Magic Johnson have to be the GOAT?

hoopla wrote:
Non of them in this list above won their first year while also being tasked with carrying their team and doing so completely out of position. That has to be the GOAT. l.

^It really doesn't.
Kobe Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Kobe is GOAT
where24happens
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:27 pm    Post subject:

IF Magic doesn't dick around and get HIV (and plays a few more seasons) and IF he wins one more ring (to get to #6), then strong case can be made for GOAT.

But no, to me its Jordan and Kareem as top 2. Magic is #3.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Magic is a good a choice as any.

I still put Kareem up high though.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
ReaListik
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject:

PhoenixForce wrote:
IF Magic and the Lakers had beaten the Bulls and Jordan in the 91 finals, Magic would be considered the GOAT right now.

All the respect in the world for Magic, guy is awesome....but....yeah, Jordan is GOAT and Magic would be the first to say it. That's not a diss to Magic, but there's a reason why Jordans bulls beat those Lakers and it was primarily because of Jordans ability to dominate the game to the point where everyone else on both teams just stopped playing and started watching Jordan own it up.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:10 pm    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

All the respect in the world for Magic, guy is awesome....but....yeah, Jordan is GOAT and Magic would be the first to say it. That's not a diss to Magic, but there's a reason why Jordans bulls beat those Lakers and it was primarily because of Jordans ability to dominate the game to the point where everyone else on both teams just stopped playing and started watching Jordan own it up.

Jordan didn't have Pippen guarding him either lol
10scott10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Wilt

No one has ever been so much better than the rest of his era
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject:

Magic was the best player in the best era of the 80's. If we were building a team and I had the #1 pick, I would choose Magic. He makes players around him better.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:41 pm    Post subject:

My mount goatmore:

russell, kaj, mj, magic
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:26 am    Post subject:

It's really subjective when you get to the top tier, but I think the main reason a lot of guys leap frogged Jordan over Magic had to do with Jordan's defense and unbeaten finals record. Magic is my favorite player of all time, but I'd give Jordan the edge largely based on defense. Can't go wrong with either guy though.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:54 am    Post subject:

Kareem is the GOAT.

High School through College through NBA.

His accolades in all of those levels combined are unmatched by anyone else in the game and on top of it he is also the NBA's all time leading scorer.

Kareem is the Greatest of all Time and Jordan is 2nd.

PhoenixForce wrote:

If the Lakers team wasn't injured when they took on the Pistons Magic and Kareem would be sitting on 7 rings and Magic would be sitting on 6.

If I remember correctly the team was also injured in 91 vs the Bulls.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 5:28 am    Post subject:

ReaListik wrote:
PhoenixForce wrote:

Eh,the reason the Bulls beat that Lakers team was because it was older and injured (Worthy and Scott couldn't finish the series). All through the 80's Jordan and the Bulls couldn't even get passed teams who ended up losing to the Lakers in the finals.Jordan was a great player but he faced a lesser opposition in the 90's due to NBA expansion and Magic, Kareem and Bird getting old.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject:

Groan. Again ?

Unfortunately, Magic has some active and stiff direct competition for everything he did well except for the charisma: LeBron James.

Top Contenders for GOAT mantle:
Bill Russell
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Michael Jordan
LeBron James
Tim Duncan

That's my top five for the career honor roll.

But if I were doing a playground choose-em-up for two opposing teams, I'd pick Magic first for one team because of the emotional, intangible edge he brings and then it'd be LeBron second for the other team. Need head-to-head equivalence. Then it'd be Michael for one, and Kobe for the other. Position-by-position choose-ups reveal personal biases. I'm not sure Magic's even the best all-time lead guard over LeBron, but he's my first pick for my team. Career injuries and HIV-related career impacts edge out Magic for the GOAT list for me, but not from my personal dream team list.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:21 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers did not have injuries during every finals we lost during showtime (I know its part of the game)

AND

Magic's career wasn't cut short (when we signed Sedale before Magic's retirement he would have been the BEST backup pg in the league), Magic would have had 10 rings.
BallerJohnDoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject:

Magic himself admitted many times that Jordan is better. So NO!
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject:

If there were an All Time draft, I'm taking Magic #1.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject:

Kareem, Magic, MJ, and even LeBron have their names in the conversation
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Kareem is the GOAT.

High School through College through NBA.

His accolades in all of those levels combined are unmatched by anyone else in the game and on top of it he is also the NBA's all time leading scorer.

Kareem is the Greatest of all Time and Jordan is 2nd.

PhoenixForce wrote:

If the Lakers team wasn't injured when they took on the Pistons Magic and Kareem would be sitting on 7 rings and Magic would be sitting on 6.

If I remember correctly the team was also injured in 91 vs the Bulls.

The GOAT is Kareem. I've found that the farther a person can go back as far as having seen a player, the more likely we are to differ. Cool. I saw Wilt on the tail end of his career when we won in 72', never saw Russell play, saw practically all of Kareem's, saw all of Magic's, saw all of Jordan's, saw all of Shaq's and Kobe's careers.

Kareem.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject:

12 seasons

9 NBA Finals appearances

5 championships.

Pretty GOATish
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: