FA's Scared of Lakers?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:31 am    Post subject: FA's Scared of Lakers?

You know over the last couple of years I've been wondering why haven't any real big name free agents wanted to come and be a part of the Lakers Lore? THE best basketball franchise in Sports History?

My first initial thought as many was probably that no one wants to play with Kobe; then I continued to thing it through.

Now my feeling is that for the "BIG(s)" That we need, it's not about playing with Kobe or not, it's just about playing here period...
I honestly think most FA's especially the BIG's aren't to thrilled about playing for the Lakers because of it's legendary history, there's just too much pressure...
We had Coward here and he bolted! Why would he bolt when he could have had the same type of chance at winning here as in Houston, maybe not as quick, but definitely the same chance...
He used Kobe's name as an excuse, but was it really Kobe or was it just too much Pressure?

I truly hope the Lakers can land their future FA Big in the next few days, but I honestly think most would shy away from playing for the Historic Franchise.
I think at best we might have an opportunity to land a Greg Monroe, possibly a K-Love, but our ceiling might actually be Robin Lopez or Tyson Chandler... What are your thoughts LG about the Fear of Playing for the Lakers?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

Same situation we faced back in 2005-2007.
Eventually when things turn a corner, you will have guys knocking down the door. Right now our team is too young and raw. Not many guys with guts like a Shaq to leave a championship contender to go to a team that is far from a finished product.
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:39 am    Post subject:

Wouldnt call what Shaq did having any guts. We were a 53 win team without Shaq and he didnt come here because we were his first choice. He came here because more or less Orlando Magic screwed up everything they could possibly screw up
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

I really dont think fear has anything to do with not playing for the Lakers including Dwight Howard. I think more like the team sucks and and players dont want to join a team that sucks.
lakersfan23890
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:44 am    Post subject:

Do you remember what some rapper on First Take said about "Nobody wants to play with Kobe?".
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject:

Shaq in Orlando was a bad match, he didn't like the coach and wanted to leave for his own egotistical reasons; plus Shaq had the Character to play in LA, where most FA's won't be able to match that and play basketball as well...

I think when you're young and get drafted to a team Like LA, you don't have a choice, you either face the music or pack you bags and Walk (ANDREW BYNUM), but when your a FA, you can make the choice and if you're a true legit 5 unlike a player like GASOL/ALDRIDGE, there is a TON of pressure to be the NEXT GREAT LAKERS CENTER...
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject:

Just give D-Lo, Clarkson and Randle some time to improve. We will have a ton of money next year and a young good core that people will want to be a part of.

Too much up in the air this year. No problem. Sit tight, play hard and save your money up!
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:

When the man in charge wears a baseball cap to meetings I am pretty sure it does not give a great impression.

The Lakers have not lost their luster, the front office has.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

Honestly if players are scared to play for the Lakers than (bleep) off.

I don't want little (bleep) playing for the purple and gold.

A real champion would want the challenge of wanting to bring back the best franchise in sports back to glory.

Look at DeAngelo Russell. The kid hasn't even played a game yet and he didn't shy away. He wants to be given the keys to the car from Kobe and wants the challenge of leading the franchise after Kobe is finished.
sourcents
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

lakersfan23890 wrote:
Do you remember what some rapper on First Take said about "Nobody wants to play with Kobe?".

That was Nelly
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:03 am    Post subject:

I think it has to do more with Kobe contract and not knowing if he's going to retire or not after this year. Players don't want to play with a 38 year old Kobe, if he was in his prime it would be different.
Lakers2015
Star Player
Star Player

A real champion would want the challenge of wanting to bring back the best franchise in sports back to glory.

Look at DeAngelo Russell. The kid hasn't even played a game yet and he didn't shy away. He wants to be given the keys to the car from Kobe and wants the challenge of leading the franchise after Kobe is finished.

That's a franchise player. Someone who won't bail on the team and the city when things get tough. When adversity sits in they won't crumble under the pressure. That's what Kobe has been about. He's been sensational in that aspect in every aspect really, but the inner belief of his that he's obviously the baddest man in the world but that he also can rise above the challenges that arise and that he can carry his team to the promise land. If he fails he'll be as motivated as ever to come back and more importantly for the team to be stronger than ever.
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

Lakers will be fine..No worries
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject:

I think people really underestimate kobe's influence in deterring free agents through either his contract, playstyle or shadow. It's not to the extent portrayed by the media, but it is a factor despite how LG tries to deny it.
Kooper 21
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject:

Thats like saying why dont big time recruits want to sign with Notre Dame football or UCLA basketball who have the greatest football and basketball traditions. Its because they suck now. Nobody was signing with the Lakers from 92-95 because the best player was a European unknown in Vlade and rookies Eddie Jones and Van Exel. The landscape of the NBA will change drastically 4 years from now much like it changed since 2010 when Lakers, Jazz, Suns, Spurs, Nuggets, Magic and Celtics were the elite teams of the NBA.
x75274
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:

Lakers2015 wrote:

That's a franchise player. Someone who won't bail on the team and the city when things get tough. When adversity sits in they won't crumble under the pressure. That's what Kobe has been about. He's been sensational in that aspect in every aspect really, but the inner belief of his that he's obviously the baddest man in the world but that he also can rise above the challenges that arise and that he can carry his team to the promise land. If he fails he'll be as motivated as ever to come back and more importantly for the team to be stronger than ever.

Russell didnt have a choice, different story and it seemed like he wasnt really all that into being a Laker before he was drafted, only after. If the sixers drafted him, he would be just as happy especially if the Sixers had the 2 pick which means more money for him. Jahlil Okafor though is a different story altogether as he wanted to embrace the laker tradition. As for Kobe, I wouldnt say thats what he is about. He came dangerously close to jumping ship twice and didnt help his best chances of winning a ring by not doing anything when Shaq was traded for the sake of his own ego and to prove he could win without shaq even thought the real reason shaq was traded was different. If we were a front office that traded Kobe to Chicago for less than ideal pieces in pretty much a firesale, Kobe would have been more than happy to go and would have bolted.
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:

I think Kobe's style of play and allocated salary are also variables that have to be calculated to determine the overall outcome for Free Agency here in LA, but and this is a big BUT, you have to also take into consideration the climate of Los Angeles, Superstars, Celebrities, an Historic Franchise... That's a lot to be considered when you think about it.

When you look at D'Angelo Russell, he seemed to have the confidence and character that's required to play here... Not to say OK4 wasn't confident or couldn't have stepped up to bat, but something tells me that all had to play a part in the decision making process for LA's drafting Russell.

What did they say about Russell, they said he was "Special" if I'm not mistaken, not just good or the best available player, I honestly believe LA feels they got the BEST PLAYER in the draft and Russell believes it also. That's a player who can play here, hands down, win or lose, he will be able to handle the pressure and will get a lot of run to do so...

These FA bigs; like Russell said, "who wouldn't want to play here?"
mykeinla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject:

The one's that we went seem to not want to play for us.
Vic5150
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
When the man in charge wears a baseball cap to meetings I am pretty sure it does not give a great impression.

The Lakers have not lost their luster, the front office has.

Exactly.
TomSeaver
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Sounds more like they scared of Kobe.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: FA's Scared of Lakers?

Because of pressure.

I don't know why some fans believe this.

Most top free agents have passed on the Lakers becuse they're not a championship team, and they don't want to sit around while they rebuild.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
I think people really underestimate kobe's influence in deterring free agents through either his contract, playstyle or shadow. It's not to the extent portrayed by the media, but it is a factor despite how LG tries to deny it.

Of course it is. You're dead right.

If you want to leave your team to go be the man somewhere -- then there are two teams which couldn't be worse destinations. LA and Cleveland.

No matter what -- you won't be the highest paid and you will be critiqued by the fans no matter what you do or how well you do it.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: FA's Scared of Lakers?

RetroNikes wrote:
Because of pressure.

Most top free agents have passed on the Lakers becuse they're not a championship team, and they don't want to sit around while they rebuild.

Seriously you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure this out. Big name free agents in their prime don't want to be a part of a rebuild. Has nothing to do with the Laker brand.

Lakers are coming off two of the worst seasons in franchise history. It's currently a tough sell for a marquee free agent to come here.

This would be the same with any other team in the league if they were in the Lakers situation.

It's easy for a 19 year old rookie like Russell to want to play here. First off, he doesn't really have any control over that, and he isn't a vet who has gone year after year without winning the NBA championship.
Jbar805
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject:

I feel like we're a mirror image of the Knicks.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: FA's Scared of Lakers?

Triumph wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
Because of pressure.

Seriously you don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to figure this out. Big name free agents in their prime don't want to be a part of a rebuild. Has nothing to do with the Laker brand.

Lakers are coming off two of the worst seasons in franchise history. It's currently a tough sell for a marquee free agent to come here.

This would be the same with any other team in the league if they were in the Lakers situation.

It's easy for a 19 year old rookie like Russell to want to play here. First off, he doesn't really have any control over that, and he isn't a vet who has gone year after year without winning the NBA championship.

Rational post, and fully agree.

If Lakers stay patient, and don't trade away our young future just to land a big name player, and continue to build in the right direction, Lakers will start winning, and recapture the lost luster. As they say in sports, winning solves a lot of ills...or covers them up. Either way.... :p

ZOOM!!!!!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: