FA's Scared of Lakers?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: FA's Scared of Lakers?

RetroNikes wrote:
Because of pressure.

I don't know why some fans believe this.

Most top free agents have passed on the Lakers becuse they're not a championship team, and they don't want to sit around while they rebuild.

/Close thread

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
LA1969
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
When the man in charge wears a baseball cap to meetings I am pretty sure it does not give a great impression.

The Lakers have not lost their luster, the front office has.

Amen from the corner.
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: FA's Scared of Lakers?

RetroNikes wrote:
Because of pressure.

I don't know why some fans believe this.

Most top free agents have passed on the Lakers becuse they're not a championship team, and they don't want to sit around while they rebuild.

Exactly.

As fan we may see the potential in our team, but that doesn't mean LA or the rest want to wait for us to rebuild, or that he sees the potential.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.

Last edited by Gwyn on Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
I think people really underestimate kobe's influence in deterring free agents through either his contract, playstyle or shadow. It's not to the extent portrayed by the media, but it is a factor despite how LG tries to deny it.

It's rubbish to ignore all of the factors at play and to focus only on that (bleep) and tired theme.

As if Kobe being off this team would make it more appealing. Because we all know that a total rebuild with even less talent would make us more appealing to these FAs.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Gwyn wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
I think people really underestimate kobe's influence in deterring free agents through either his contract, playstyle or shadow. It's not to the extent portrayed by the media, but it is a factor despite how LG tries to deny it.

It's rubbish to ignore all of the factors at play and to focus only on that (bleep) and tired theme.

As if Kobe being off this team would make it more appealing. Because we all know that a total rebuild with even less talent would make us more appealing to these FAs.

well we would have capspace for two max players in that scenario

so probably more appealing yes
hoopla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject:

to the op's question the answer is YES, YES they are afraid of coming to the lakers. its not just the history is the fans. We are hard on our players. You better show me something or else you're weak in the mind. Thats how we think.

Lets all be honest. when was the last time you thought aldridge was not weak minded? very good ball player but still somewhat weak minded. every time he was needed in the clutch in the playoffs he couldnt come thru. I still like him as a 2nd fiddle. but never the main guy. we've seen what he does as the main guy. he's ok. but not good enough to play in the finals in the west.

These kind of guys usually dont want to deal with that crazee fan pressure of L.A> they just dont. and thats fine by me. go ahead and have a ball in phoenix or elsewhere. Any player thats unsure about coming here because he's afraid. Please dont come. we dont need that fear on our team. we want guys that know they're great players so when the crap hits the fan they wont crumble under pressure.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Vic5150 wrote:
rock0100 wrote:
When the man in charge wears a baseball cap to meetings I am pretty sure it does not give a great impression.

Exactly.

Jim Buss is not exactly a magnet for talent, but players seem to want the money more than anything else, and staying with there current teams pays the best.
The Lakers under Jim have already made big mistakes, they got nothing for Gasol and Dwight all the while thinking a Big FA will be available, well so far all the big FA have turned down the Jim Buss Lakers.
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject:

kobetimeeverytime wrote:
TheElectronica wrote:
kobetimeeverytime wrote:
in addition to our roster being lackluster, from the leaked comments our FO takes a very anachronistic and outdated approach in recruitment. Bringing in Adam levine is simply cringeworthy. Every other team has focused on analytics and actual basketball while we are pimping out some music act like a used car salesman. I'm sure kobe's speech also hurt more than it helped

Adam Levine posted a picture on his own accord. It wasn't like the Lakers told him to do it. Secondly, what would you expect them to do for their recruitment approach? Brag about how they can play with a roster that will feature two guys that barely played last year? Houston and Spurs can have a good basketball meeting because they played good basketball last year. All we can do is sell him on a future in LA which would include the LA night life and such.

If Aldridge isn't interested then so be it, but it isn't like LA is going to wow team with analytics when those same stats will just tell free agents how horrible we were last year.

Treat him like a professional, sell him on a coherent organizational plan and vision. Lakers should not be a bottom rung team in term of use of modern analytics and even if the numbers aren't flattering, the infrastructure is what would appeal to these players. Stop patronizing these players like children and trying to dazzle them with LA lifestyle, it's unbecoming and reeks of hubris

What exactly, is that plan and vision that you'd like them to sell Aldridge?

Because this is what it looks like: sign with us, hope someone else signs with us, and hope our young players pan out.

Mavericks? Come play with Dirk and a good coach.

Rockets? Come play with runner up MVP and a big that fits perfectly with yours

Spurs? Come play with a winning team that has depth and stability.

Knicks? Come play with Melo and Porzingis and bright lights.

Guess what? No matter what, the free agents know what each team's plan will be because it isn't some super secret thing. I'm pretty sure most people have figured out LA is trying to get cap space plus talent and hope a big name signs with them. Everyone knows the Spurs are trying to add another elite big to fit a contending team. You say stop treating them like children which is fine, but let us not insult their intelligence. Aldridge probably knew what the LA plan was exactly. He just probably wasn't thrilled with the prospect of playing with a Kobe on his last legs that wanted Aldridge to play second fiddle and then hope and pray that LA can net Durant.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:49 pm    Post subject:

Kobe2Clark wrote:
No one is scared of the pressure. They are scared of taking less money to be trapped on a bad roster. LMA would be a laughing stock if he left Portland to come to a worse team...

Other NBA players have to just be laughing at that nonsense that people are too scared to come to LA. When the Lakers are looking flashy again, free agency won't be an issue. Fans are expecting these guys to turn down better situations and come to the Lakers as a favor. Not happening. Especially since these guys like Lamarcus and DeAndre and so forth have been trashed by Lakers fans for years on Twitter, etc.
jdm43390
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 7:55 pm    Post subject:

Treble Clef wrote:
Kobe2Clark wrote:
No one is scared of the pressure. They are scared of taking less money to be trapped on a bad roster. LMA would be a laughing stock if he left Portland to come to a worse team...

Other NBA players have to just be laughing at that nonsense that people are too scared to come to LA. When the Lakers are looking flashy again, free agency won't be an issue. Fans are expecting these guys to turn down better situations and come to the Lakers as a favor. Not happening. Especially since these guys like Lamarcus and DeAndre and so forth have been trashed by Lakers fans for years on Twitter, etc.

awww Big time multi-million dollar players getting their feelings hurt by the fans.
Soft a$$ players. Don't want em' then. Sorry...Get coddled like a baby somewhere else
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject:

jdm43390 wrote:
Treble Clef wrote:
Kobe2Clark wrote:

awww Big time multi-million dollar players getting their feelings hurt by the fans.
Soft a$$ players. Don't want em' then. Sorry...Get coddled like a baby somewhere else

That's the attitude that wins no sympathy from anyone. They will get more money and more success in other places so why would they give that up? When Lamarcus sees that LAtoLA junk, I'm sure he remembers all of the Lakers fans who went out of their way to rip him on social media and now he just laughs as he sees them in the rear view.
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Now wait just a minute here. How many teams are contenders and have cap room to sign max players? Phoenix talent wise is essentially Portland Southwest so, Aldridge makes a lateral move there. Same with a team like Dallas. SA can't give him max money. Not sure about Houston, but he definitely won't be "the man" out there. Cleveland already paid Love so they're out. GSW could, but they'd lose out on retaining their own guy.

I'm not sure what exactly these guys are looking for.
hoopla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject:

ahaider wrote:
I think it's not this big convoluted mess you guys make it out to be. It's all about what are your selfish interests.

I don't say selfish in a negative way, but for the first time in your career they're dictating terms. So they pick the factors that matter most. The same way anyone would whose receiving multiple job offers. You pick the best fit provided the money is the same.

Let's look at LA, I'm 30 years old. I've been in a small market for a long time and I want to win. I'm in my prime I've made my money and I'm going to continue to make my money. I care about the lifestyle but it's not my topmost priority.

For some people lifestyle, brand are more important than others. Karl Anthony Towns didn't care about the Lakers brand, but Okafor did and Russell did. Each of these situations is so situational.

But to think that people aren't picking us because of Jim Buss or Jeanie? That's ridiculous.

They pass over us because we're not title contenders, we have an average coach, we still have Kobe & our young guys are all still 1 year too young.

Everything else lifestyle & brand wise is as good as can be. But it just takes one to have the dominos fall in place.

Btw if you're from Texas like LMA and a title contender like the Spurs is offering you the max, it makes complete sense why you'd pick them over the Lakers. Any expectation for Lamarcus to sign here came from fictional viewpoints that lacked understanding of the Lakers current plight.
wait so LA is going to what team thats on a win now track? is sure as heck aint the suns. if the spurs gut their team to make room for him. they wont win either. do you see how old those guys are(the core not counting KL)? KL + LA = a loss before the finals. LA has been there and done that.

Why do you sign with the lakers if you're aldridge? You do it because they have a track record of quick rebuilds. you saw them literally get cp3 and dwight. but the nba had to step in and do the unthinkable.

You guys do realize if LA woudl've come here. Tyson would've followed him and maybe even DJ. and unlike a suns like team, other players would keep following for the lakers.

yes you have some old guys ring chasing. if LA is ring chasing. he needs to sign with the cavs, or hang out with wall in the east or toronto. LA on any of those teams would automatically put them in finals contention in the weak east.

but i dont think its really about winning for him. sure he says that. but the truth is right there. you are talking to the suns. a team that just sits around next to the playoffs and maybe a first round exit. they dont have any up and coming super ballers. the pg thing with bledsoe and the other young pg. isnt enough. they're to small to play together for very long stretches and win in a playoff setting.

So why run to that team? it doesnt make sense.

unless your realize if a guy like that wants to sign with those teams then he's saying i'm afraid of LA. Look at the lakers is not like any other team. you dont say but they dont have anyone now. thats very shortsighted. the lakers can put together a championship caliber team in 1 years time. especially with the FA's that are avaiabe this summer and next.

lets say LA signed with the lakers.

next year here comes durant.

we already have randle ballin it up and lets assume russell is balling it up. we would have another hole filled at the sf spot.

pg-russell
sg-maybe old man kobe
sf- durant
PF-LA
C- Chandler(if LA would've come here first)

and our current bench guys with ed davis. thats possible. that team would be a championship roster. since we know our bench would be very very good , competing with gstates bench. thats a team ready to go for it.

randle is LO the sixth man until he takes LA's spot once LA ages out.
hoopla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject:

dmills wrote:
Now wait just a minute here. How many teams are contenders and have cap room to sign max players? Phoenix talent wise is essentially Portland Southwest so, Aldridge makes a lateral move there. Same with a team like Dallas. SA can't give him max money. Not sure about Houston, but he definitely won't be "the man" out there. Cleveland already paid Love so they're out. GSW could, but they'd lose out on retaining their own guy.

I'm not sure what exactly these guys are looking for.
Thank you dmills. this is my point. what the hell is he going to do in a suns jersey? not get to the finals again? might as well stay i portland with lillard. he already had a top notch pg, and a solid De and 3 guy in batum. yet that wasnt enough.
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Gwyn wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

It's also rubbish to ignore kobe's influence as a factor. It's not the sole reason, but it's foolish to say it doesn't play a part in deterring free agents.

Unfortunately, kobe being off the team would make it more appealing from a basketball perspective given his play and contract. Go to any other non-laker forum and you'll get the same response: Kobe is nothing but a hindrance due to his contract.

As a laker fan, I'm not complaining provided Kobe doesn't complain as well. He's done a lot for this franchise that I'm willing to sacrifice 2 years of the rebuild for the sake he retires a laker. However, a spade is still a spade and it hurts seeing the lakers strike out partly due to kobe's contract.
*Purple&Gold*
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:53 pm    Post subject:

FAs want to join a team with the potential to do damage and either contend or appear to be on the brink of contending. Right now I wouldnt say we can safely say we fall into either of these category`s which could make for another failed off season as per signing top tier FAs. Dont be surprised if we strike out again on all the top contenders, but we need to prove to the league that we are back and ready to make some noise. Lets hope that by some minor miracle that this happens this season.
dmills
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

It's also rubbish to ignore kobe's influence as a factor. It's not the sole reason, but it's foolish to say it doesn't play a part in deterring free agents.

Unfortunately, kobe being off the team would make it more appealing from a basketball perspective given his play and contract. Go to any other non-laker forum and you'll get the same response: Kobe is nothing but a hindrance due to his contract.

As a laker fan, I'm not complaining provided Kobe doesn't complain as well. He's done a lot for this franchise that I'm willing to sacrifice 2 years of the rebuild for the sake he retires a laker. However, a spade is still a spade and it hurts seeing the lakers strike out partly due to kobe's contract.

So you mean to tell me that these guys sit down to meet with the Lakers and the sticking point for them is Kobe's contract? Why would they care about that?
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject:

dmills wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

So you mean to tell me that these guys sit down to meet with the Lakers and the sticking point for them is Kobe's contract? Why would they care about that?

It's not the sticking point but i'd argue it's one factor, especially in an indirect sense.

If the lakers land FA's next year after Kobe retires, you don't think BSPN and the media will push how Kobe held the lakers hostage?
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:24 pm    Post subject:

LakeShowSince84 wrote:
Lakers will be fine..No worries

Don't look that way. Aging Bryant, young squad, not many FAs wanna go through a rebuilding period. They wanna see some talent on the team while getting fat lootage. All the money in the world won't make true winners happy especially with a 22-60 record. See Melo. Took all that bread and now his ass is miserable.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
dmills wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

It's not the sticking point but i'd argue it's one factor, especially in an indirect sense.

If the lakers land FA's next year after Kobe retires, you don't think BSPN and the media will push how Kobe held the lakers hostage?

It will look that way. Couldn't get them here then but when he leaves, they come? What else could it look like? tough situation and players just don't flock to LA or NYC just because they're the big markets. Might hafta wait until next year for a huge splash.

And if Bryant retired and we still can't get anyone in here, it really says a lot.

Last edited by doughboy90650 on Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:33 pm    Post subject:

LA1969 wrote:
rock0100 wrote:

Amen from the corner.

My sentiments exactly.

Jimbo should look in the mirror and ask this question.

Would I work for a guy that looks like that!!!!
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan23890 wrote:
Do you remember what some rapper on First Take said about "Nobody wants to play with Kobe?".

Nelly...

And I believe him. These guys go to nightclubs and party with the same rappers and have sex with the same girls, so naturally they talk. Plus it doesn't help that Kobe is the most universally hated player in the history of the NBA either. He's the total polar opposite of Jordan in terms of popularity outside of his own fanbase. Hell our own rookie once called him out his name. I've come to grips with this as of today...

Tell you guys what. I know Mark Cuban said he'd do something for Kobe ala Jeter if he knew it was his final season but you know what? I don't want NO love from any opposing fanbases this season. No standing ovations either. They've hated him for this long, so don't fake it now that it's over. I'll respect their Boos at the end of the day than any fake cheers. Screw them.

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject:

dmills wrote:
dabask11 wrote:
Gwyn wrote:
dabask11 wrote:

Because it affects who else we can sign with them. If Kobe signed for a more reasonable contract, actually pitching a Jordan/Aldridge team up would have been viable since we would have been able to create the space to max both. Or we might have been able to do what the Suns did, and sign Chandler to a 13/year contract and have him in the room with us as part of our vision to build around Aldridge. Players aren't dumb. They know the implications of the the salary cap as well as anyone else.
TheElectronica
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:44 pm    Post subject:

At the end of the day, I'd rather have Kobe than start a rebuild with Lamarcus Aldridge and Deandre Jordan as the two center pieces to build around.

Much rather have a clean slate and develop Randle and Russell. I'm not keen on having Lamarcus be the number one guy and having Deandre without a Chris Paul caliber point guard for a while. Deangelo is a good passer but I don't see him making Deandre what he is offensively like the way Paul does for two or three years. By then, Aldridge is 33.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Maybe it has to do with Mitch's entire tactic being "look at those jerseys up there"
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: