So basically Lakers went with Russell because they could just get a big man in free agency eh...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject: So basically Lakers went with Russell because they could just get a big man in free agency eh...

The arrogance of this front office is embarrassing. ...Not dissing the Russell pick...But just the arrogant thinking of Mitch/Buss is irritating
etmo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject:

You're not making sense. Where's the arrogance? Post a quote from Mitch or anyone in the FO and explain how it is arrogant.

The actions of the FO are entirely reasonable. Draft the guy you think is the BPA, and try to get pieces in free agency to help the team. That's not arrogance -- that's normal.

If you want to whine, whine about their failure to land any of the FAs, that I can at least understand.
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:35 am    Post subject:

etmo wrote:
You're not making sense. Where's the arrogance? Post a quote from Mitch or anyone in the FO and explain how it is arrogant.

The actions of the FO are entirely reasonable. Draft the guy you think is the BPA, and try to get pieces in free agency to help the team. That's not arrogance -- that's normal.

If you want to whine, whine about their failure to land any of the FAs, that I can at least understand.

You seem rather emotional
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: So basically Lakers went with Russell because they could just get a big man in free agency eh...

LakeShowSince84 wrote:
The arrogance of this front office is embarrassing. ...Not dissing the Russell pick...But just the arrogant thinking of Mitch/Buss is irritating

I think they went with Russell simply because they thought he would be a better player than Okafur. The thing about having a free agent big man in their pocket was just some media speculation, nothing the Lakers themselves ever suggested.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:50 am    Post subject:

It's an interesting relationship the fans have with the FO. The FO doesn't say a word. Reporters report what they can, and fill in a lot of the blanks with their own conjecture. The fans are then left with what the reporters give them, including all the conjecture.

The idea that the Lakers drafted Russell because they were arrogantly sure they were going to sign Aldridge seems like it can be dismissed on common sense alone. The Lakers took Russell because he was the best player available.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject:

if we didnt get Russel we'd be in a more difficult position...
we would still need another elite wing player to be contenders which are MUCH more difficult to come by
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
we would still need another elite wing player to be contenders which are MUCH more difficult to come by

Since when is Russell a wing?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

You can make a legtimate case for either Okafor or Russell. You take your chance, roll the dice and see how it pans out.
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject:

Free agents usually are lured to franchises with a good big man....
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject:

LakeShowSince84 wrote:
Free agents usually are lured to franchises with a good big man....

Top free agents are lured to franchises that have talent and offer them a chance to win. Lebron didn't go to Cleveland because they had a great big man. James Harden didn't go to Houston because they had a great big man. (However Dwight Howard did go there because he was in place -- so great guards can lure big man).

At this point, neither Russell or Okafor is a draw to free agents. Two to three years from now it's anyone's guess where one, both or neither of them will be.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: So basically Lakers went with Russell because they could just get a big man in free agency eh...

LakeShowSince84 wrote:

arrogance??? you my friend are the arrogant one here. A-hole
lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:43 am    Post subject:

Truth be told, I think they went Russell because of their inability to sign Star Powered Point Guards in the League... Since the Chris Paul debacle, the Lakers have been unable to attract any star guards or even acquire any via trade.
With Clarkson having a decent rookie campaign I'm sure they felt like they had someone for the future, but the question was, is he enough?
So they paired him with arguably the best guard prospect from the draft.

I didn't like the pick and would have rather gotten Okafor, but it's the decision that was made and yes now they're paying for it; but it ain't over until it's over!

If the young guns have a good season, win or lose, free agents will be more attracted to come and play for the Lakers, but the Lakers have to get their Sugar Honey Ice Tea together!!!
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: So basically Lakers went with Russell because they could just get a big man in free agency eh...

Wino wrote:
LakeShowSince84 wrote:

arrogance??? you my friend are the arrogant one here. A-hole

U seem mad bro
foreveralakerfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject:

The problem with the lakers front office is twofold:

1. They lack the persona of someone that is charismatic anymore - this is the biggest thing Jerry Buss lent to the team. And when Jerry West was still around, they had it with him too. Everyone loves that guy.

2. They were (are) misguided this year in thinking they would get a top tier one free agent. What they should have done is worked on locking up Ed Davis first, then looked at the Monroe's, Koufas and the Lopez guys right away and they might have signed them while everyone else was busy pitching the top guys...

Most good FA's resign anyways with their current teams - no matter what anyone says, the attraction of more money usually wins out. So getting a top FA away will take the promise of a good shot at winning a championship. Until the lakers play a year or two together, the "cavalry" is not coming despite Kobe thinking he can lure FA's here too. I do think the core of the lakers youth movement is very strong, but you have to give them some time first.

Losing Ed Davis was a major blunder, and now I think they have to resign Hill. I preferred Davis because of his rim protecting skills, something this lakers team will desperately need this year...
LakeShowSince84
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject:

foreveralakerfan wrote:
The problem with the lakers front office is twofold:

1. They lack the persona of someone that is charismatic anymore - this is the biggest thing Jerry Buss lent to the team. And when Jerry West was still around, they had it with him too. Everyone loves that guy.

2. They were (are) misguided this year in thinking they would get a top tier one free agent. What they should have done is worked on locking up Ed Davis first, then looked at the Monroe's, Koufas and the Lopez guys right away and they might have signed them while everyone else was busy pitching the top guys...

Most good FA's resign anyways with their current teams - no matter what anyone says, the attraction of more money usually wins out. So getting a top FA away will take the promise of a good shot at winning a championship. Until the lakers play a year or two together, the "cavalry" is not coming despite Kobe thinking he can lure FA's here too. I do think the core of the lakers youth movement is very strong, but you have to give them some time first.

Losing Ed Davis was a major blunder, and now I think they have to resign Hill. I preferred Davis because of his rim protecting skills, something this lakers team will desperately need this year...

Jordan Hill does nothing but chuck up shots
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:33 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Since when is Russell a wing?

i mistyped... i meant an elite perimeter player.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: So basically Lakers went with Russell because they could just get a big man in free agency eh...

LakeShowSince84 wrote:

It's the arrogance of assuming fans.

Mitch has said it had no barring on how they picked. They picked BPA. But I get it. Making assumptions and bashing is what some so called "fans" like to do.
Old_School_JWest
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Roy Hibbert

Hoopshype.com reporting Lakers traded for Hibbert, assets are being worked out.

http://hoopshype.com/storyline/roy-hibbert-trade/
idrinkhaterade
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: So basically Lakers went with Russell because they could just get a big man in free agency eh...

LakeShowSince84 wrote:

lol what a stupid thread
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: So basically Lakers went with Russell because they could just get a big man in free agency eh...

idrinkhaterade wrote:
LakeShowSince84 wrote:

lol what a stupid thread

I am so tired of idiotic threads calling out the FO. Mitch knows more about basketball and is better at his job than anyone on this board could EVER hope to be. In fact, when looking at the complainers, they are typically the LOWEST common denominators, who are UNABLE to take a wait and see approach. They just (bleep) about everything.

Honestly, it makes the site almost unbearable.

Nothing like IQ's of 50 judging IQ.s of 150, especially when the results haven't even come it and we are in the middle of the process. Jeeez. This would be the time for some people to shut their pie holes and watch. They might just learn something!
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject:

I reckon the Lakers chose D-Russell for a dozen reasons or so, overall. Personally, I like the idea of rebuilding the back court first, especially with a lead guard who may have great hoops IQ. My personal preference for the Lakers was for the guy with the lowest chance of going bust, the Duke swingman, Winslow - who went #10.

We'll all have to wait, watch and judge for ourselves how this choice plays out for the club over time.
LakersPark
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: So basically Lakers went with Russell because they could just get a big man in free agency eh...

Wino wrote:
idrinkhaterade wrote:
LakeShowSince84 wrote:

lol what a stupid thread

I am so tired of idiotic threads calling out the FO. Mitch knows more about basketball and is better at his job than anyone on this board could EVER hope to be. In fact, when looking at the complainers, they are typically the LOWEST common denominators, who are UNABLE to take a wait and see approach. They just (bleep) about everything.

Honestly, it makes the site almost unbearable.

Nothing like IQ's of 50 judging IQ.s of 150, especially when the results haven't even come it and we are in the middle of the process. Jeeez. This would be the time for some people to shut their pie holes and watch. They might just learn something!

LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject:

lol its as if people dont think that there are people PAID to assess the talents of these players coming in. i know its just summer league, but the eye test alone tells me it was a wise choice to not draft okafor.

slow footed
not as big as touted..6'10 with a long wingspan..not bad but he plays below the rim
being slow footed kills pnr defense and transition defense
offense is only one side of the ball..and even then, length bothers him because of his below-the-rim play style
bad free throw shooting can be a liability late in game as we've seen

im glad and happy we got russel
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject:

I don't know what the front office believed. I think it's believable that they simply picked the best player. I think it's believable they thought it was close enough that picking Russell and signing a big in free agency made a lot of sense. Why assume that it's arrogant thinking? Both positions seem reasonable to me.

Assuming the latter is true, they could have thought they were taking a reasonable gamble and even if free agency didn't work out, they still had Russell and a few other young players and possible trades to work with.

If they decided to gamble with free agency, that does not mean they were thinking "We're the Lakers. Of course Aldridge and DJ want to come here."
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject:

The reasoning of the draft pick were revealed by Jerry West's son, who is part of the FO. He said they viewed him as someone who'll become Harden 2.0

You have to take them for their word on that. They've yet to show they've screwed up a high draft pick - Randle is not proven yet, and Russ/Randle can show what they can do over the coming years.

For now, you'll just have to go with the understanding that Russell was who they viewed as BPA.

Was FA a part of it? I'm sure it was. It couldn't have been the only factor though. You have to realize the impact private workouts also have on these decisions. Russell impressed them more, clearly.

What I like about Russell are also what I think will be his drawbacks. He's got flashy passes, he's got a great court sense. But is he a dominant scorer? Does he rely too much on those aspects to get him considered an elite PG? I think you look at the best PG's in the league recently drafted, they all were clearly head and shoulders above Russell as scorers. Irving. Derrick Rose. Steph Curry. Lillard. I don't see Russell having the same ability as those guys when they came out of the draft in terms of scoring. His court vision is fantastic and his passing skills top notch. However to become the star the Lakers envision him to be (Harden 2.0) I think he'll need to work a lot on his ability to score baskets against elite level NBA competition. The way the NBA is these days your PG, if he's your star player, has to be able to dominate both with his ability to pass and direct his O but also how he puts pressure on the D with his scoring ability. If Russ can show he can also apply the pressure as a scorer, guys we're going to be ecstatic for years.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: