OFFICIAL LAKERS YOUTH MOVEMENT THREAD...A Place to Discuss Our Young Players (Not Swaggy P)!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:44 am    Post subject:

Not sure anyone has revisited this anonymous composite NBA scout article since the draft, but here it is for our picks (sans Anthony Brown):

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/06/22/2015-nba-draft-scouting-reports-jahlil-okafor-karl-towns-emmanuel-mudiay

Quote:
D’Angelo Russell, 6’5” guard, Ohio State: “He’s amazing. He’s the best passer in the draft. I hear people say he’s going to be challenged a little bit athletically—so challenged that he’s not going to get past pick No. 3 or 4 in the draft. He just has a magical feel about the game. Beautiful vision, great understanding of what he’s trying to accomplish. He’s not a great shooter yet, but he has a chance to be.”

Quote:
Larry Nance Jr., 6’9” forward, Wyoming: “People say he’s a 'tweener, but he’s not a four. His skill set is for the perimeter. I saw him when he came back from his injury, and he didn’t have the same bounce. He had no confidence. Then I saw him two weeks ago at a workout in Chicago, and it was a different dude. He had no brace, he was jumping, he was punching stuff. Maybe a hair on the soft side, but he has a high basketball IQ. One of the best offensive rebounders in the draft.”

Quote:
Robert Upshaw, 7-foot center, Washington: “We wouldn’t touch him. He has so many issues. Now he has a heart issue. He has an NBA skill with his shot blocking, but he’s not worth it. Physically, he’s talented. The problem is, if you crack his head open, nobody has any idea what might roll out of there.”
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Not sure anyone has revisited this anonymous composite NBA scout article since the draft, but here it is for our picks (sans Anthony Brown):

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/06/22/2015-nba-draft-scouting-reports-jahlil-okafor-karl-towns-emmanuel-mudiay

Quote:
D’Angelo Russell, 6’5” guard, Ohio State: “He’s amazing. He’s the best passer in the draft. I hear people say he’s going to be challenged a little bit athletically—so challenged that he’s not going to get past pick No. 3 or 4 in the draft. He just has a magical feel about the game. Beautiful vision, great understanding of what he’s trying to accomplish. He’s not a great shooter yet, but he has a chance to be.”

Quote:
Larry Nance Jr., 6’9” forward, Wyoming: “People say he’s a 'tweener, but he’s not a four. His skill set is for the perimeter. I saw him when he came back from his injury, and he didn’t have the same bounce. He had no confidence. Then I saw him two weeks ago at a workout in Chicago, and it was a different dude. He had no brace, he was jumping, he was punching stuff. Maybe a hair on the soft side, but he has a high basketball IQ. One of the best offensive rebounders in the draft.”

Quote:
Robert Upshaw, 7-foot center, Washington: “We wouldn’t touch him. He has so many issues. Now he has a heart issue. He has an NBA skill with his shot blocking, but he’s not worth it. Physically, he’s talented. The problem is, if you crack his head open, nobody has any idea what might roll out of there.”

dang the Upshaw one is cold
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject:

There was stuff on Anthony Brown from David Aldridge's predraft article:

http://www.nba.com/news/features/david_aldridge/david-aldridge-big-board-small-forwards-2015-nba-draft/index.html

Quote:
"There's not a lot of flash to his game," one birddog said.
"He's not going to create his own shot. But I think he's solid enough as a defender and rebounder to stick on a roster."
One college coach whose team played Stanford this season said Brown "tantalizes you with size and athleticism and skill. He's a very good shooter. Looks the part, but he's really not a tough guy. He wants to play in space. He's very good coming off of screens, so if you lose him off a screen it's a concern, because he's very good squaring up. But he's not a tough guy. He's a gazelle. He looks like a million bucks. He's got the size and the shooting but he's really a finesse guy."
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject:

^Thanks for posting, fiendish. Makes me feel better about our draft. Anything idea on what the scout said on Jonathan Holmes?
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:49 am    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
^Thanks for posting, fiendish. Makes me feel better about our draft. Anything idea on what the scout said on Jonathan Holmes?

I don't think he was mentioned in either article.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
lukewaltonsdad wrote:

I don't think he was mentioned in either article.

Ok. Thanks.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:

http://www.nba.com/news/features/david_aldridge/david-aldridge-big-board-small-forwards-2015-nba-draft/index.html

Quote:
"He's not going to create his own shot. But I think he's solid enough as a defender and rebounder to stick on a roster."
One college coach whose team played Stanford this season said Brown "tantalizes you with size and athleticism and skill. He's a very good shooter. Looks the part, but he's really not a tough guy. He wants to play in space. He's very good coming off of screens, so if you lose him off a screen it's a concern, because he's very good squaring up. But he's not a tough guy. He's a gazelle. He looks like a million bucks. He's got the size and the shooting but he's really a finesse guy."

Yup. Reminds me of a better defending James Jones. Averse to contact but will hit that open 3.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Quote:

Yup. Reminds me of a better defending James Jones. Averse to contact but will hit that open 3.

That's a good comparison. That's a rotation player in the 2nd round; I'll take that all day long.
lakersboi1993
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:15 am    Post subject:

Anthony brown Can become a mickael pietrus
Type player gain a little bit more weight
& work on his mid range
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

lakersboi1993 wrote:
& work on his mid range

that's a good comparison
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
lakersboi1993 wrote:
& work on his mid range

that's a good comparison

Pietrus was a much more athletic slasher who was a physical defender. I don't see that with Brown.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
lakersboi1993 wrote:
& work on his mid range

that's a good comparison

Pietrus was a much more athletic slasher who was a physical defender. I don't see that with Brown.

haven't seen the slashing from Brown yet either, but I've seen glimpses of the defensive tenacity in SPL. He had some nice blocks and scrambles for boards that impressed me
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
lakersboi1993 wrote:
& work on his mid range

that's a good comparison

haven't seen the slashing from Brown yet either, but I've seen glimpses of the defensive tenacity in SPL. He had some nice blocks and scrambles for boards that impressed me

I think David Aldridge was spot on about him being contact averse. It's fine, so long as he knows his limitations (which I think he does).

He would actually be great in the Spurs system. Corner 3s, defense, ala Bruce Bowen.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
lakersboi1993 wrote:
& work on his mid range

that's a good comparison

I think David Aldridge was spot on about him being contact averse. It's fine, so long as he knows his limitations (which I think he does).

He would actually be great in the Spurs system. Corner 3s, defense, ala Bruce Bowen.

If you look at his predraft measurements and vertical and athletic testing, the comp you quickly come up with is Danny Green.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:41 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
lakersboi1993 wrote:
& work on his mid range

that's a good comparison

If you look at his predraft measurements and vertical and athletic testing, the comp you quickly come up with is Danny Green.

I'd take that too
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Is ABrown as cerebral as Danny Green is? I never followed ABrown closely so not sure.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Is ABrown as cerebral as Danny Green is? I never followed ABrown closely so not sure.

By all acconts he's a pretty smart player. I am just struck by their physical similarity at the same age, and their similar perceived lack of upside at draft time. Green has worked hard to maximize what he has, and hopefully Brown will follow the same path.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

By all acconts he's a pretty smart player. I am just struck by their physical similarity at the same age, and their similar perceived lack of upside at draft time. Green has worked hard to maximize what he has, and hopefully Brown will follow the same path.

Well Stanford grad too I suppose.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:35 am    Post subject:

All 3 of our young studs are their own type of players, unique players. that's really cool imo. Also hard to nail comparisons on them and project their games tho.
Russell's ceiling is so high, no telling what a 6'5 guy with crazy vision,ballhandling, and a potentially lethal jumpshot can be.

Randle, the question with him is how he'll refine his game. He's amazingly talented already. But i can't put the nail on the head of how he'll mold his game. Will he finish a lot better, or will he drive and look to pass a lot more.
Can he be compared to Milsap but more of an ISO option - and not saying he won't look to pass out of those ISO's.

Clarkson - What's holding him back from being close to an Eric Bledsoe? Who's to say he can't develop into Monta Ellis.. His game is already pretty refined imo. amazing at slashing and finishing off the PnR, very good pullup mid range J. If he improves his 1v1 game off the dribble, I can see him getting close to a level of the aforementioned players. I think he's a solid catch n shoot 3pt shooter, so he'll play well with Russell, too.
I see no reason not to enjoy the ride of where these guys' games can go. High ceilings here and they fit well.

I think fans can fall in the trap of seeing a young player half succeed at something, and completely focus on the part that went wrong - but I think that's the wrong way to look at things with young players. We see Randle get to wherever he wants on the court, but we focus on the missed finish. He's a rookie, he'll find out how to make his strengths an actual plus on the court - that comes with time tho. enjoy the ride.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:41 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
fiendishoc wrote:

Quote:

dang the Upshaw one is cold

If you crack someone's head open you go straight to jail.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:32 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
All 3 of our young studs are their own type of players, unique players. that's really cool imo. Also hard to nail comparisons on them and project their games tho.
Russell's ceiling is so high, no telling what a 6'5 guy with crazy vision,ballhandling, and a potentially lethal jumpshot can be.

Randle, the question with him is how he'll refine his game. He's amazingly talented already. But i can't put the nail on the head of how he'll mold his game. Will he finish a lot better, or will he drive and look to pass a lot more.
Can he be compared to Milsap but more of an ISO option - and not saying he won't look to pass out of those ISO's.

Clarkson - What's holding him back from being close to an Eric Bledsoe? Who's to say he can't develop into Monta Ellis.. His game is already pretty refined imo. amazing at slashing and finishing off the PnR, very good pullup mid range J. If he improves his 1v1 game off the dribble, I can see him getting close to a level of the aforementioned players. I think he's a solid catch n shoot 3pt shooter, so he'll play well with Russell, too.
I see no reason not to enjoy the ride of where these guys' games can go. High ceilings here and they fit well.

I think fans can fall in the trap of seeing a young player half succeed at something, and completely focus on the part that went wrong - but I think that's the wrong way to look at things with young players. We see Randle get to wherever he wants on the court, but we focus on the missed finish. He's a rookie, he'll find out how to make his strengths an actual plus on the court - that comes with time tho. enjoy the ride.

I missed reading KIROE posts

Completely agreed
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

I missed reading KIROE posts

Completely agreed

Hey thanks bruh
Can't wait for the season!!!
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject:

Bumping this thread.
After this upcoming season we will have plenty of cap space to grab an all star or future star player. Either by FA or trade.
My worry is we won't have the talent to attract that player.
We need to grow our own star player.
I hope one of the 3 (DLO, Randle, Clarkson) is that future star.

Last edited by kikanga on Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:01 am; edited 1 time in total
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject:

I'm kinda excited about this back court in the same way that I was looking forward to nick and Eddie each preseason.

The cherry on top is the way that people who have seen randle play are describing him beasting.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:00 am    Post subject:

I have a lot of questions for the LG commune. Does anybody have answers?

So should we start Russell, Clarkson, and Randle all together?
What gives us the best chance to win games this season?
And how should traditional pg duties be split up between Russell and Clarkson when both are in?
I haven't really heard everyone's opinion on the matter.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13
Jump to: