Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 359, 360, 361  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:57 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
It is scary when you realize 3/5's of our projected startling line up cant even beat scrub summer league teams. Then when you count in Kobe as the 4th starter who haven't been able to stay healthy the last 3 years and we are well on our way to another bottom 5 record

I also think its scary but most of the people seem to be in "chill, its just summer league" so they'll complain when we lose like ten games of the first fifteen we play next season.

With byron we will suck bad next season. Strongly believe that wouldnt be the case with better coaching but it is what it is

I can't believe we didn't at least add someone new to the coaching staff.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject:

We should be running P&R every play and Russell/Clarkson alternate. The Princeton offense has them thinking too much and holding their games back.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:11 am    Post subject:

I just watched this last game, and the thing I really liked is how we finally saw multiple playmakers (Russell, Randle, and Clarkson) taking turns creating for others. When Kobe is back this will only be scarier for other teams.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject:

30 wrote:
I just watched this last game, and the thing I really liked is how we finally saw multiple playmakers (Russell, Randle, and Clarkson) taking turns creating for others. When Kobe is back this will only be scarier for other teams.

Why do people think of Kobe as that young Kobe of the past? Kobe is not going to be that player if he plays 35 games that would be incredible. Besides Kobe can't do the things he did, he can't defend as he did, and he cannot play any more than 30 minutes why days off on back to back games. His effectiveness is reduced to mid jumpers as he cannot go by most any longer. We have to remove this fantasy dream of the great old Kobe, is not going to happen folks. This Lakers mentality won't win more that 25 games next year and it won't be any different than last year. Byron will continue to cater to Kobe because he has no choice, but the team will suffer as a result. They will ruin the Princeton, rookies will struggle and we will continue to witness the same old arse kicking we've been getting from Western conference teams. This whole cycle has to stop and the Lakers need me thinkers that wasn't too change the future.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject:

My thoughts and observations now that Summer League is over:

Russell:

His lack of explosiveness and outright slow footedness at times showed. He struggled to beat his man off the dribble and really get easy buckets in the paint. This is a challenge forhim. He needs to work on this and on his off hand.

Beside that, I'm not as upset about the TO's as the BS Coaching Staff seems to be. Most of the TO's were a result of him trying to make an amazing play or something out of a bad situation. In the last few games, he definitely improved with the TO's even though at times he was limiting himself by not trying to go for the big plays.

His shooting stroke looks smooth and real nice. I'm not worried about his misses. By the last game he showed what he can do taking jumpers. Hitting four straight jumpers is not a joke for any nba player let alone a rookie. Also, during that same streak he also had two great passes.

With his passing, it seemed like every game he set up what should have been a couple of dunks and/or layups a game but for whatever reason those were not converted. In addition, he would create another 5-6 good looks a game. While you can't expect all of these to be converted, he should fairly have had another at least 4 assists a game. I'd love to see if anyone has a stat showing how many great shot oppportunities he created.

Moreover, his D was better than advertised and you could see his length making a difference. Also, another pleasant surprise was his rebounding. You can see him have 12-8-8 games without much strain.

Randle:

Randle is a guy that needs time to adjust and start. He also seems to put a lot of pressure on himself which is exasberated with limited minutes. He started slow last year in SL, preseason and in his only game. He started slow this year in SL as well and his shot looked overly strong, but as SL went on he looked more and more like his unstoppable self.

His OC jumps in the lane on the end of his drives scare me. He also needs to work on D and rebounding. He also needs to play calm and under control. I remember seeing him look extremely anxious on the bench in the first game last season, and then he came out there and tried to force it leading him to get hurt. He really needs lots of consistent minutes. If anything more minutes, will help control his anxiety and lessen his O/C plays hence lowering his chance for injury.

Clarkson:

Main reason to see him in SL was to see his chemistry with DLo which had some moments. He looked good like what he had seen last year. He needs to improve on his floor game a bit and lessen his O/C selfish plays.

Coaching:

Going into SL, I really truly believed that we had a team that would dominate and we would know right away how great these guys were. However, that did not happen.

Nevertheless, I'm not worried about the losses, but I am worried that the coaches seemed to be worried about winning these meaningless games over letting our talented players play and develop.

Why play an offense where you are taking the ball out of our PGs hand when we invested a number 2 pick to get an amazing playmaker?

I understand restricting Randle's minutes for injury concern, but the way it was implemented was horrible and arbitrary. Often times, he would be taken out right when he found his rhythm and was hot. Horrible.

SL is perfect place for DLo to make mistakes and figure it out. So why bench him at the end of a game?

Abrown showed some flashes of good D, and shot looked decent even though he was missing. Nance hustled. However, they did not get very many minutes especially in the last few summer league games. Inexplicable as much of their minutes went to players who will not even be on the team.

Upshaw looked good defensively whenever he was out there, but again, he got very few minutes. The coaches kept playing Black, Jabari, and Clarkson as they were clearly trying to win with the more experienced player. This SCARES me. I'm afraid they will play established veterans over our young guys more than they should.

In any case, the development of our players, the offense and out of bounds play calls were badly bundled by this BS staff. Nevertheless, I'm not worried about the losses even though we were playing much of our actual rotation and starters against scrubs.

Anyone doubt, this would have been dramatically different had Randle been unleashed or at least given minutes in a smarter fashion, if our rotation was different, or if we hadn't tried to institute such a horrible offense??
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
30 wrote:

Why do people think of Kobe as that young Kobe of the past? Kobe is not going to be that player if he plays 35 games that would be incredible. Besides Kobe can't do the things he did, he can't defend as he did, and he cannot play any more than 30 minutes why days off on back to back games. His effectiveness is reduced to mid jumpers as he cannot go by most any longer. We have to remove this fantasy dream of the great old Kobe, is not going to happen folks. This Lakers mentality won't win more that 25 games next year and it won't be any different than last year. Byron will continue to cater to Kobe because he has no choice, but the team will suffer as a result. They will ruin the Princeton, rookies will struggle and we will continue to witness the same old arse kicking we've been getting from Western conference teams. This whole cycle has to stop and the Lakers need me thinkers that wasn't too change the future.

Just last year Kobe was having 10+ assists games. I do not know what fantasy you are living in.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
We should be running P&R every play and Russell/Clarkson alternate. The Princeton offense has them thinking too much and holding their games back.

Flexibility is a strength. The Lakers didn't win running only the Triangle Offense, they won because they could also work the P&R and other schemes.

I will say this though... if the Princeton Offense is our "now and in the future" default offense, then we need to have players that fit the system or else change systems.

Derek Fisher was not an All World pg...but he we really good for the Triangle. I hope the Lakers FO and Scott really feel like the players we have are the right fit for the Princeton offense.
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject:

I went to the game last Monday against the Knicks. While it was a disaster and there was a lot of iso and forced plays that led to TO's I am not worried about our young core. I see a lot of potential and I think we just need to be patient. It's going to take a few years.

EDIT: Just realized I have been a member of LG for 10 years as of yesterday. Glad to see a new promising era of Lakers basketball on the horizon.

Last edited by LALdynasty! on Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:10 am    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:
My thoughts and observations now that Summer League is over:

Russell: His lack of explosiveness and outright slow footedness at times showed. He struggled to beat his man off the dribble and really get easy buckets in the paint. This is a challenge forhim. He needs to work on this and on his off hand.

DRussell will find his groove. When he starts hitting his outside shots regularly (and he has that ability), he will be able to drive inside more on his man despite the perceived lack of athleticism. Also, very very very few players can attack the basket like Clarkson and pass like DRussell. DRussell holds up alot of time because he is constantly looking for a teammate offering a higher percentage shot (either wide open or closer to the basket).

I'm not worried at all. I think DRussell has the talent to be an All Star for years once he gets acclimated to the NBA.
laker lifer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject:

30 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
30 wrote:

Just last year Kobe was having 10+ assists games. I do not know what fantasy you are living in.

loyallakerfan44 is spot on. this franchise seriously needs to recognize its time to turn a new leaf, commit to our new core, and stop catering to kobe.

kobe's on court production and decline in ability is not even debatable. ever since his achilles tear he's been breaking down physically. i honestly don't expect him to play out the whole season (and even if by miracle he does, his game n abilities have been marginalized as loyallaker pointed out). kobe is old and worn out...father time caught up to him three seasons ago...it happens...there's nothing wrong with that. what's wrong is our front office continuing to blindly cater to kobe (like its 2001 or 2009 even) at the expense of our team's development and rebuild into the future.

its bad enough our front office took an enormous risk with the second pick in the draft...but to not outright commit and hand the reigns to our young future core (clarkson/randle/russell) is plain criminal and counterintuitive. williams/bass/hibbert are nice complimentary pieces for a deep contending team trying to win a finals....but as free agent signings for this franchise at this point....they are just a detriment. now players like upshaw (who need more and more playing time and development) will get spare on court experience...russell's development will be stunted by the presence of williams and kobe....even a bass signing will get in the way of randle's development.

what's the point of all these free agents? so we can win an extra 8 games next season? lol. as crazy and unreal as it sounds (especially after everything that happened this season with the tank and draft)....maybe tanking and aiming for that top 3 pick in the next draft is the only viable, logical, beneficial move for this franchise (and even that is super risky in itself if the pick were to fall out of the top 3 and go to philly lol; look at the knicks in this year's draft). we should've rolled with our young guns (clarkson/randle/russell/black/upshaw/parker/etc) this season...milked and developed them...have kobe finish this year out (and trade swaggy asap between now and the deadline)....and let the chips fall where they may and hope for the lottery again. now all these fugazi free agents + old hoggin kobe are gonna run this team while we finish 11th or 12th in the west. smh.

i can't stand byron scott as a coach. he's just kobe's mouth piece muppet. dantoni was horrendous cuz he bungled a championship roster that was ready to win that year...scott is almost as bad, just in a more indirect way (catering to kobe....not recognizing kobe is not the same player....not recognizing he needs to commit to this young core).
etmo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:33 am    Post subject:

laker lifer wrote:

loyallakerfan44 is spot on. this franchise seriously needs to recognize its time to turn a new leaf, commit to our new core, and stop catering to kobe.

How can it be said we're still catering to Kobe? We just drafted a former "Kobe is a rapist" guy (Larry Nance, Jr). We're undergoing a complete youth movement. If we were catering to Kobe, it would be all about the veterans to help Kobe win one last chip.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
30 wrote:

This laker team won't mentally win more than 25 games next year?

I don't know why goes through some fans heads. smh.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject:

laker lifer wrote:
30 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
30 wrote:

kobe's on court production and decline in ability is not even debatable. ever since his achilles tear he's been breaking down physically. i honestly don't expect him to play out the whole season (and even if by miracle he does, his game n abilities have been marginalized as loyallaker pointed out). kobe is old and worn out...father time caught up to him three seasons ago...it happens...there's nothing wrong with that. what's wrong is our front office continuing to blindly cater to kobe (like its 2001 or 2009 even) at the expense of our team's development and rebuild into the future.

its bad enough our front office took an enormous risk with the second pick in the draft...but to not outright commit and hand the reigns to our young future core (clarkson/randle/russell) is plain criminal and counterintuitive. williams/bass/hibbert are nice complimentary pieces for a deep contending team trying to win a finals....but as free agent signings for this franchise at this point....they are just a detriment. now players like upshaw (who need more and more playing time and development) will get spare on court experience...russell's development will be stunted by the presence of williams and kobe....even a bass signing will get in the way of randle's development.

what's the point of all these free agents? so we can win an extra 8 games next season? lol. as crazy and unreal as it sounds (especially after everything that happened this season with the tank and draft)....maybe tanking and aiming for that top 3 pick in the next draft is the only viable, logical, beneficial move for this franchise (and even that is super risky in itself if the pick were to fall out of the top 3 and go to philly lol; look at the knicks in this year's draft). we should've rolled with our young guns (clarkson/randle/russell/black/upshaw/parker/etc) this season...milked and developed them...have kobe finish this year out (and trade swaggy asap between now and the deadline)....and let the chips fall where they may and hope for the lottery again. now all these fugazi free agents + old hoggin kobe are gonna run this team while we finish 11th or 12th in the west. smh.

i can't stand byron scott as a coach. he's just kobe's mouth piece muppet. dantoni was horrendous cuz he bungled a championship roster that was ready to win that year...scott is almost as bad, just in a more indirect way (catering to kobe....not recognizing kobe is not the same player....not recognizing he needs to commit to this young core).

Dumb.

This team a lottery team finishing 11th or 12th in the West?

It's clear that some "fans" on here use this forum to express their frustration while thinking of the absolute worse.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject:

30 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
30 wrote:

Go on get your tanking gear on, stop dreaming of Kobe of two years ago.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
30 wrote:

Why do people think of Kobe as that young Kobe of the past? Kobe is not going to be that player if he plays 35 games that would be incredible. Besides Kobe can't do the things he did, he can't defend as he did, and he cannot play any more than 30 minutes why days off on back to back games. His effectiveness is reduced to mid jumpers as he cannot go by most any longer. We have to remove this fantasy dream of the great old Kobe, is not going to happen folks. This Lakers mentality won't win more that 25 games next year and it won't be any different than last year. Byron will continue to cater to Kobe because
he has no choice, but the team will suffer as a result. They will ruin the Princeton, rookies will struggle and we will continue to witness the same old arse kicking we've been getting from Western conference teams. This whole cycle has to stop and the Lakers need me thinkers that wasn't too change the future.

can i borrow your crystal ball?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject:

How can some "fans" speak so negatively about Kobe and not at least want to see first what kind of a player he is healthy this year?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:06 pm    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
30 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
30 wrote:

Go on get your tanking gear on, stop dreaming of Kobe of two years ago.

There IS no tomorrow!
EmoDias
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject:

laker lifer wrote:
30 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
30 wrote:

Spot on? If you would go on the Lakers official website and watch some of the clips of what's really going on, instead of reading just comments in here from some random dude on a computer, then maybe you would have caught Mitch addressing the media on how Kobe has not made any signs to return next year and the Lakers are making moves for the sake of their franchise with or without Kobe.

Byron Scott has been persistent as a coach to run the Princeton everywhere he has been hired, including the Lakers, therefore BS is not trying to cater to Kobe with the Princeton. Kobe will post in the elbow in any offense you run, catered or not.

Also why the doom and gloom so early? If y'all were real Lakers fans, y'all would at least give this team a chance to see what they can do first before writing them off. Especially Kobe, he has a good track record of proving haters wrong and if not, y'all owe him at least a kind and welcoming farewell tour if this is really it. Show some RESPECT!
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Mitch screwed up drafting Lance/Brown over RJ Hunter.
Hai.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Yong wrote:
Mitch screwed up drafting Lance/Brown over RJ Hunter.
Hai.

No need to add Brown's name. RJ Hunter was drafted 28, so how did Mitch screw up by taking Brown at 34? Hunter would not crack the back court rotation on the Lakers.

Nance has been a disappointment so far, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over RJ Hunter.
SaintStephen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject:

I still like Kevon Looney a lot after seeing him in summer league. Yeah he's not a great athlete. But he's long and skilled. He competes hard on the glass every possession. He can defend multiple positions despite his speed because of his length. And he has shown a nice touch on spot up jumpers before tonight.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:40 am    Post subject:

laker lifer wrote:
30 wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
30 wrote:

Point 1: Using our 22 mill cap spce, remember?

Point 2: Fill our Center Position, remember?

Point 3: Fill our scorer from the bench with the 6th man, remember, yes, we tried and keep trying to unload NYoung

We haven't even begin to roll, but yes, as have been stated by Byron, we will be rolling with Randle, Russell & Clarkson and those veterans (Bass & Wiliiams will come from the bench, givingus a very good bench BTW.

Finally, Upshaw will see little action next year. He will be in the DLeague a lot. Remember only 12 man suits.

RHibbert
JRandle
KBryant
DRussell
JClarkson
LWilliams
BBass
NYoung
TBlack
ABrown
RKelly
JBrown

DLeague

LNance
RUpshaw

Waived

RSacre

I think we still will find a RKelly taker when teams are rounding teams before the season begins. I just hoping for. I will like LNance from the start.
44-25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject:

SaintStephen wrote:
I still like Kevon Looney a lot after seeing him in summer league. Yeah he's not a great athlete. But he's long and skilled. He competes hard on the glass every possession. He can defend multiple positions despite his speed because of his length. And he has shown a nice touch on spot up jumpers before tonight.

His game was in college, like his game in HS. Long body that is just efficient in rb and scoring, nothing flashy. He should be a a strong role-player in the nba.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject:

What's annoying about watching the other summer league teams play is that you realize the Lakers had so much more talent on the floor than most of everyone else but just couldn't put it together for even one game.

Even when they stopped running the counter-productive Princeton sets, they still got so much of the little stuff wrong, like being out of position to stop transition baskets, not boxing out, setting bad screens, not moving the ball quickly, and especially not playing defense without fouling.
Corso
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:31 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
The Princeton offense is not for a young team in the NBA unless it's filled with mature, high IQ talent.

This has some guys that can do it, but not right now.

Now if the team is patient and lets the young talent grow into the system...

Look out.

But it's going to take an amount of patience that fans just don't have and that does affect this FO.

I would like to see this team to grow organically and run a system for years to the point that they become razor sharp, like the Spurs last year.

But it takes more patience than a fan base that's used to winning to allow to play out.

We're about to see what this FO is made of.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 359, 360, 361  Next
Page 360 of 361
Jump to: