OFFICIAL ROY HIBBERT THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 55, 56, 57  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject:

I'm interested in seeing what the conditioning and weight loss does for Hibbert's minutes.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:30 pm    Post subject:

I don't believe that the Lakers will post a better defensive rating without Hibbert on the floor tho.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Quote:
95 ROY HIBBERT
Lakers | Center | Last year: 52
What’s more damning: That the Pacers posted a better defensive rating in 2014–15 without Roy Hibbert (100.7) than with him (101.1), or that they traded the two-time All-Star center to the Lakers this summer for the NBA equivalent of zilch (a future second-round pick)? Neither fact reflects kindly on Hibbert, the former Defensive Player of the Year contender who played an integral role on Indiana’s back-to-back trips to the Eastern Conference finals in 2013 and 2014, but who has also dealt with confidence issues and inconsistency throughout his seven-year career.

did not knew this

Same is true of Marc gasol, deandre Jordan, and Duncan. Has a lot to do with rotations and quality of competition (more defenders on the bench plus worse offensive players on opponent bench).

Agreed. Pretty useless stat imo.

Bench is gonna give up less points

than the starting lineup more often than not.

Better stat is that without Hibbert(at all) the Pacers gave up

When he didn't play.

That's essentially 109.2. So yeah... they needed him. Badly. Their bench going up against another bench statistic doesn't mean much imo.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject:

yuurin98 wrote:
I don't believe that the Lakers will post a better defensive rating without Hibbert on the floor tho.

I agree, he should be able to impact our defensive numbers positively. I hope at least.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject:

So excited to see Hibbert!
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Lets see what his attitude will be like - more like Gasol or more like Howard?

IMO Gasol with the good attitude

Howard the bad tude
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:48 pm    Post subject:

He'll be Hibbert.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject:

I just hope upshaw can make the team. Learning from hibbert would do wonders for meeting his enormous potential defensively. Hibbert can also pass on all the knowledge he's soaked up from CAp. I really think cap is the reason the lakers decided to target hibbert in the first place. Maybe he will have a cap like career and play well throughout his 30's
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Roy Hibbert Defensive Compilation

Hibbert's presence will be a nice upgrade over last season.

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject:

Some background on the Hibbert acquisition. Didn't realize he gave up money to help us sign other guys.

Quote:
He was at SoulCycle in Beverly Hills, spinning away on an exercise bike when his agent, David Falk, kept calling him. It was the Fourth of July. Hibbert wanted to finish his workout and was hungry afterward. Falk would have to wait a bit.

The two finally talked by phone from a patio table at The Farm, an always-busy restaurant favored by Hibbert.

The conversation would change Hibbert's life. After seven seasons with Indiana, the only NBA team he had known, he was now a member of the Lakers for the paltry sum of a 2019 second-round draft pick.

"I was sitting at that table over there," Hibbert said Monday, after ordering a maple-baked salmon salad and some fingerling potatoes on the side. "I was pretty stoked."

It wasn't completely out of the blue. Hibbert's agent had made a list of teams that needed centers and presented it to Bird, who countered that Indiana would try to accommodate a trade but not take back any bad contracts.

A financial sacrifice was also required from Hibbert, a rarity in a league where salaries and TV deals keep getting more lucrative. He agreed to take only $100,000 of his $2.3-million trade kicker so the Lakers could also sign free agents Lou Williams and Brandon Bass.

"In the long run, it was a no-brainer," Hibbert said. "If I were to say I wanted my $2 million and the trade couldn't get done, I would have been back in Indy and wouldn't have gotten that $2 million anyway. I would have had to basically fight an uphill battle just to try and get on the court. Hopefully I can make that [money] up in the long run if I do well."

His introductory news conference for the Lakers made social-media rounds not for anything he said at a table alongside Williams and Bass. It was what they didn't say.

When asked if they had heard from Kobe Bryant, all three players were awkwardly silent for 10 seconds before another question was asked.

Bryant bore the brunt of the discomfort, the obvious implication that he hadn't greeted them warmly. Or at all.

"I think he caught a lot of flak for no reason," Hibbert said in retrospect. "He was overseas in China, I guess for a while, doing what he was doing. He's reached out to me and we talked.

"It was funny, I guess, looking back. Ten seconds. I just told him, 'I'll be ready on the defensive end to help whatever way I can.' He was all about that. I will say that."

LINK
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:26 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Some background on the Hibbert acquisition. Didn't realize he gave up money to help us sign other guys.

Quote:
He was at SoulCycle in Beverly Hills, spinning away on an exercise bike when his agent, David Falk, kept calling him. It was the Fourth of July. Hibbert wanted to finish his workout and was hungry afterward. Falk would have to wait a bit.

The two finally talked by phone from a patio table at The Farm, an always-busy restaurant favored by Hibbert.

The conversation would change Hibbert's life. After seven seasons with Indiana, the only NBA team he had known, he was now a member of the Lakers for the paltry sum of a 2019 second-round draft pick.

"I was sitting at that table over there," Hibbert said Monday, after ordering a maple-baked salmon salad and some fingerling potatoes on the side. "I was pretty stoked."

It wasn't completely out of the blue. Hibbert's agent had made a list of teams that needed centers and presented it to Bird, who countered that Indiana would try to accommodate a trade but not take back any bad contracts.

A financial sacrifice was also required from Hibbert, a rarity in a league where salaries and TV deals keep getting more lucrative. He agreed to take only $100,000 of his $2.3-million trade kicker so the Lakers could also sign free agents Lou Williams and Brandon Bass.

"In the long run, it was a no-brainer," Hibbert said. "If I were to say I wanted my $2 million and the trade couldn't get done, I would have been back in Indy and wouldn't have gotten that $2 million anyway. I would have had to basically fight an uphill battle just to try and get on the court. Hopefully I can make that [money] up in the long run if I do well."

His introductory news conference for the Lakers made social-media rounds not for anything he said at a table alongside Williams and Bass. It was what they didn't say.

When asked if they had heard from Kobe Bryant, all three players were awkwardly silent for 10 seconds before another question was asked.

Bryant bore the brunt of the discomfort, the obvious implication that he hadn't greeted them warmly. Or at all.

"I think he caught a lot of flak for no reason," Hibbert said in retrospect. "He was overseas in China, I guess for a while, doing what he was doing. He's reached out to me and we talked.

"It was funny, I guess, looking back. Ten seconds. I just told him, 'I'll be ready on the defensive end to help whatever way I can.' He was all about that. I will say that."

LINK

Roy is all-in and is doing his part to help the team. He's a good guy!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject:

I was listening to Trudell this morning and he talked to Grass Fed, who told him that with Hibbert dropping body fat and adding lean muscle, he is in great shape to bang in the paint. He said Hibbert is committed to make this his best season.
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:51 pm    Post subject:

at least Big Roy wants to be here and he's playing for a new contract. That's gotta be worth some good production this year. Dude turns 30 this year, he's playing for his last major contract, he should have a couple of good years still left in him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
at least Big Roy wants to be here and he's playing for a new contract. That's gotta be worth some good production this year. Dude turns 30 this year, he's playing for his last major contract, he should have a couple of good years still left in him.

Turning 29 in December
HumanVictoryCigar
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Turning 29 in December

Excellent! We'll get another year out of him. Seems like most guys, the wheels start falling off around that 33 year range, so if we re-sign him after an excellent season we'll get at least 3 more productive years before... well, we sign some Center from Orlando or something like that...
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject:

HumanVictoryCigar wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
HumanVictoryCigar wrote:

Turning 29 in December

Excellent! We'll get another year out of him. Seems like most guys, the wheels start falling off around that 33 year range, so if we re-sign him after an excellent season we'll get at least 3 more productive years before... well, we sign some Center from Orlando or something like that...

Yeah and he hasn't exactly played heavy minutes either.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject:

He's a smart guy and so he's coming in knowing his role, being willing to play it to the fullest with the understanding that he can be a Laker a lot longer by essentially exerting most of his energy on one side of the court. The fact that he's not only okay with that but seemingly looking forward to it is supremely refreshing.

I'll be rooting for him.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject:

I really like the fact that at just 28 years old, Hibbert has already started in 54 playoff games.
Lakers95
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:38 pm    Post subject:

LINK

Kinda looks like Roy's slimmed down a bit over the last month or so, since the introduction press conference at least. Glad he's been putting in the work.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
So excited to see Hibbert!

Me too!!
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:09 pm    Post subject:

if runner up DOPY Hibbert shows up, the Lakers are going to win 10 extra games. If Kobe 2013 shows up, Lakers will win another 10 games. If Russell is ROY, the Lakers get into the playoffs. Not saying this is going to happen, but just sayin....
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Lakers95 wrote:
LINK

Kinda looks like Roy's slimmed down a bit over the last month or so, since the introduction press conference at least. Glad he's been putting in the work.

that looks a bit too slim in my opinion
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject:

I have always been down on this guy. However I am starting to come around, I hope he comes in and have a tremendous impact on this team. Also I hope he some way some how gets that 2M back.

This is a guy who wants to be here.
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:01 am    Post subject:

If he gets injured due to his slimness I'm gonna be pissed.

Typo edited. :s

Last edited by yuurin98 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject:

yuurin98 wrote:
If he gets injured due to his sliminess I'm gonna be pissed.

He might get injured by his sliminess, but not his slimness.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Page 33 of 57
Jump to: