OFFICIAL LOU WILLIAMS THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 41, 42, 43  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:45 am    Post subject:

Always good to sell high, this would be the best chance to get that middle 20's 1st rounder.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:25 am    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
Always good to sell high, this would be the best chance to get that middle 20's 1st rounder.

who likely won't be nearly as good as Lou...
Afrosho
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:44 am    Post subject:

I don't want us to trade Lou. It's not just about this season.

Hopefully this summer we'll be able to build an interesting roster, and Lou coming off the bench would be a great thing to have.

I also love the way Bass is playing, too bad he has a 3mil player option. No chance he doesn't opt out.

These two guys can absolutely be part of a championship team as role players.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:46 am    Post subject:

OCWA wrote:
Perfect time to trade.

If you are going to trade Lou, now is the time.
M2K
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:47 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Performances like this make me wonder how good this team could be if we actually had a competent coach.....

The team is gelling and players are getting comfortable which allow them to put forth their best play. The problem is, I have no faith in Byron Scott as the long term answer.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:13 am    Post subject:

FreakofNature wrote:
The way we've been drafting we can find someone that can play a role so JC/DLO can play more time together. Its nothing personal with him I just want to see JC/DLO in crunch time.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:16 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

To be fair, a mid late first rounder that ends up being good a ridiculous asset. Look at Nance's contract; if he continues to give us what he gives us for that value...

Do agree though, at some point you need guys who can fill out a roster and Lou can be one of them.
Vin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:25 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
zePokar wrote:
24 wrote:
2019 wrote:
iimarshon wrote:
I like keeping Lou and Bass as vet backups leading into next season

I don't understand this whole let's package him for a pick. First of all, we're not getting a lotto pick. Second, even if we're a good drafting franchise, doesn't mean the player will be as good as Lou and Bass. Both those guys for under $10MM is a complete steal. Great vets, go about their business, keep it professional, and can help on the court. Not to mention they balance out our inexperience.

Lou and Bass are good pieces to go into FA with.

Tanker mentality. Always be dumping guys for picks so they don't accidentally win any games.

No I just think you could get something nice in return right now and he could be playing for a contender aswell. I woudn't trade him just to trade him but I'd look around what I can get for him.

Define something nice?

Star player- nope.
Lotto pick- nope.
Cap relief- maybe.

Why trade a 6th man of year candidate who can fit wit our starting guards quite well when he's on a contract that is going to be half of what it would have been had he been a free agent this year?

Russell (36) / Lou (12)
Clarkson (36) / Lou (12)

Well you're right.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:04 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
FreakofNature wrote:

To be fair, a mid late first rounder that ends up being good a ridiculous asset. Look at Nance's contract; if he continues to give us what he gives us for that value...

Do agree though, at some point you need guys who can fill out a roster and Lou can be one of them.

But a "steal" like nance is extremely rare. Look at all the past drafts. There might be one player of lou's calibre in the non-lottery range draft every year. The odds that we would get that one is extremely low, and even if we somehow get that player, he would still need several years before he's at that level
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers ‏@Lakers 9h9 hours ago

Lou Williams' 44 points are the most by a Laker not named Kobe Bryant since Shaquille O'Neal in March 2003.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:18 am    Post subject:

BTW, for all the talk that Kobe has taken shots away from the young guys, I totally disagree. I believe Mitch is completely full of it. Lou Williams is a guy who takes many plays and is Byron's favorite go to player of the 3 best guards on the roster (JC, Russ being the other 2). Look nothing against Lou, but I rather have JC/Russ taking those shots in a losing situation.

Props to Lou for how he is playing, but IMO he's a trade asset or a quality backup, nothing more. This is similar to Nick Young playing real well under MDA 2 years ago. It doesn't help the long run or do anything significant in the short term (IR add wins).

He also plays absolutely no defense and is a poor chemistry guy. Your role players shouldn't be the guys playing the Kobe role. I really am salty that the FO is trying to put this on Kobe, when Byron has clearly given Lou Williams a green light and gives him a ton of minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:26 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
BTW, for all the talk that Kobe has taken shots away from the young guys, I totally disagree. I believe Mitch is completely full of it. Lou Williams is a guy who takes many plays and is Byron's favorite go to player of the 3 best guards on the roster (JC, Russ being the other 2). Look nothing against Lou, but I rather have JC/Russ taking those shots in a losing situation. Props to Lou for who he is playing, but IMO he's a trade asset or a quality backup, nothing more.

Lou is a solid high scoring backup on a fair deal, almost every team need it.

Clarkson's ceiling don't need to be of a star, you can sell him as a guy that will deliver 16-18 pts every night with high fg% and ask the free agent to be the superstar 30 ppg guy. It's great if you hit the home run in the draft, but drafting solid players you can convince an all star to come and lead us to promised land.

I'm all about keeping Lou and Bass (unlikely for this price), I'd just bring Lou from the bench and keep him under 28 mpg unless he is hot like last game.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:38 am    Post subject:

nash wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
BTW, for all the talk that Kobe has taken shots away from the young guys, I totally disagree. I believe Mitch is completely full of it. Lou Williams is a guy who takes many plays and is Byron's favorite go to player of the 3 best guards on the roster (JC, Russ being the other 2). Look nothing against Lou, but I rather have JC/Russ taking those shots in a losing situation. Props to Lou for who he is playing, but IMO he's a trade asset or a quality backup, nothing more.

Clarkson's ceiling don't need to be of a star, you can sell him as a guy that will deliver 16-18 pts every night with high fg% and ask the free agent to be the superstar 30 ppg guy. It's great if you hit the home run in the draft, but drafting solid players you can convince an all star to come and lead us to promised land.

I'm all about keeping Lou and Bass (unlikely for this price), I'd just bring Lou from the bench and keep him under 28 mpg unless he is hot like last game.

I'm ok with Lou as a backup, but the problem is Scott seems to love him, and will give him minutes ahead of either JC or Russ. In a way it's good it'll push them to be better players, at the same time though, I'd rather we'd have someone taking a lot of shots from one of the front court spots vs a 3rd back court shot creator. With Russ, Clarkson and Lou we've got plenty of backcourt shot creators, but not enough balance IMO.

The bigger pressing issue for me longterm is defense. A 3 man rotation of Russ/JC/Lou at SG/PG is not a recipe for good defense there. We need at least 1 guy in there who is going to take the challenge defensively, try to stop the ball and have legit SG size. Clarkson's a bit undersized at 2, Lou has rarely if ever played D and Russ is still very young. I'd love to get a guy in there in place of Lou who can actually just do a role player job - which is to defend hard and spot up in the offense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
nash
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
nash wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I'm ok with Lou as a backup, but the problem is Scott seems to love him, and will give him minutes ahead of either JC or Russ. In a way it's good it'll push them to be better players, at the same time though, I'd rather we'd have someone taking a lot of shots from one of the front court spots vs a 3rd back court shot creator. With Russ, Clarkson and Lou we've got plenty of backcourt shot creators, but not enough balance IMO.

The bigger pressing issue for me longterm is defense. A 3 man rotation of Russ/JC/Lou at SG/PG is not a recipe for good defense there. We need at least 1 guy in there who is going to take the challenge defensively, try to stop the ball and have legit SG size. Clarkson's a bit undersized at 2, Lou has rarely if ever played D and Russ is still very young. I'd love to get a guy in there in place of Lou who can actually just do a role player job - which is to defend hard and spot up in the offense.

I don't have reasons to think Brown will not be able to shoot it like he did in college. He is the kind of garbage player that you can use to defend the best wing players. I also think Russell and Clarkson are young enough to became good defenders and Russell with some strenght should be able to guard most SG.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject:

Lou should not be on this team. Trade him while his value is high.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject:

Louuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:57 am    Post subject:

Lou is a conundrum. On one hand he's a 6th man scorer extraordinaire locked into a cap friendly deal. On the other we have a coach who thinks he's the second coming of Iverson.

Keep the Lou, leave the Scott. (Godfather reference...cannolis... )
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:10 am    Post subject:

I agree with trading him. Scott loves him so I doubt he goes. But We might get lucky and trade him to a team on the border of making the playoffs and get a top 15 pick.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
BTW, for all the talk that Kobe has taken shots away from the young guys, I totally disagree. I believe Mitch is completely full of it. Lou Williams is a guy who takes many plays and is Byron's favorite go to player of the 3 best guards on the roster (JC, Russ being the other 2). Look nothing against Lou, but I rather have JC/Russ taking those shots in a losing situation.

Props to Lou for how he is playing, but IMO he's a trade asset or a quality backup, nothing more. This is similar to Nick Young playing real well under MDA 2 years ago. It doesn't help the long run or do anything significant in the short term (IR add wins).

He also plays absolutely no defense and is a poor chemistry guy. Your role players shouldn't be the guys playing the Kobe role. I really am salty that the FO is trying to put this on Kobe, when Byron has clearly given Lou Williams a green light and gives him a ton of minutes.

The FO has been full of it for the past few years.

Why do you expect anything different?

From the hiring of their coaches, their attempts to sign free agents, etc, they have been pathetic.

The record reflects their ineptness.
laker4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

I am for trading him but I do not want to give him away.

We need to at least try to do well or we will be as bad as the 76ers.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:13 pm    Post subject:

I like Lou and his contract is a steal. I would like him to be a veteran as part of the rebuild for the next two years. I am sure he will eventually go back to the 6th man role.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject:

LakerLogic wrote:

Lou is the best player we have going at this time and the reason we have won games. So yes, he should be on this team. But yeah, let's trade him for someone who won't be nearly as good.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:28 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:

Lou is the best player we have going at this time and the reason we have won games. So yes, he should be on this team. But yeah, let's trade him for someone who won't be nearly as good.

He takes time away from Clarkson/Russell and is a blackhole on offense. The goal of this year is development of the young players. 5 extra wins surely won't attract any significant FAs.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject:

No he doesn't take time away from Clarkson and/or Russell. That is simply untrue. The goal of this year and every year is to win games, and we have a better chance to win with Lou than without. As for him being a blackhole, he is averaging the same assists as Clarkson in less minutes and one less than Russell in about the same minutes.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I like Lou and his contract is a steal. I would like him to be a veteran as part of the rebuild for the next two years. I am sure he will eventually go back to the 6th man role.
BINGO!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 14 of 43
Jump to: