TEXAS - public school students to use textbooks which barely address segregation and omit the KKK & Jim Crow

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: TEXAS - public school students to use textbooks which barely address segregation and omit the KKK & Jim Crow

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/150-years-later-schools-are-still-a-battlefield-for-interpreting-civil-war/2015/07/05/e8fbd57e-2001-11e5-bf41-c23f5d3face1_story.html?hpid=z4

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:27 am    Post subject:

This stuff has been an embarrassment to states like Texas and Kansas for a long time. For the most part, teachers work around it.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
This stuff has been an embarrassment to states like Texas and Kansas for a long time. For the most part, teachers work around it.

while well to do corporations steal tax dollars by printing this (bleep) and trees have to die for this nonsense

Why should any child have to deal with this... how can any politician who denies the civil war was waged so the southern states could continue to own black people be allowed to keep his or her seat in office.

People like our politicians make it really hard to be proud to be American
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject:

We need to see if Mexico would be willing to swap Baja for the Bible Belt. Unload that backwards wasteland.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Texas can (bleep) rot for all I give a (bleep). Secede already you backward (bleep) !
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Technically they aren't wrong about the purported historical causes of the Civil War.

You can certainly trumpet "States Rights" as the core cause....but the reason there was an issue with states rights in the first place stemmed from slavery and the South's economic dependence on slavery. There were other states rights issues of course...and that's always convenient misdirection for Confederate sympathizers.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject:

I personally think the perfect HS text on American History would be Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Since I find that many Americans have never taken the time to read the official secession documents of the "Slave States", here is a link.

Quote:
Texas abandoned her separate national existence and consented to become one of the Confederated Union to promote her welfare, insure domestic tranquility and secure more substantially the blessings of peace and liberty to her people. She was received into the confederacy with her own constitution, under the guarantee of the federal constitution and the compact of annexation, that she should enjoy these blessings. She was received as a commonwealth holding, maintaining and protecting the institution known as negro slavery-- the servitude of the African to the white race within her limits--

Anti-American Documentation
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Technically they aren't wrong about the purported historical causes of the Civil War.

You can certainly trumpet "States Rights" as the core cause....but the reason there was an issue with states rights in the first place stemmed from slavery and the South's economic dependence on slavery. There were other states rights issues of course...and that's always convenient misdirection for Confederate sympathizers.

Even if they remove slavery from within the context of the Civil War, it was still a major part of our economy and history, which should be studied all on it's own.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:59 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:

(bleep).

No Slavery, no Civil War. No other issue would have been important enough for them to take their action. Any argument to the contrary is absurd.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
I personally think the perfect HS text on American History would be Howard Zinn's A People's History of the United States.

On THAT we agree.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Texas can (bleep) rot for all I give a (bleep). Secede already you backward (bleep) !

Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:21 pm    Post subject:

These standards are not sufficient, same as other textbooks which gloss over the Founding Fathers, War of 1812, and other major wars. All the major events should be covered, not just those with present constituencies that have an agenda to see certain things over or under-emphasized.
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
We need to see if Mexico would be willing to swap Baja for the Bible Belt. Unload that backwards wasteland.

We can always count on the usual suspects for their rewarding commentary.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:29 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
kray28_ wrote:

On THAT we agree.

Read that for AP US History but these days, I sincerely doubt the average non-AP high schooler has the intellect to even read past the first paragraph.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: