2015-16 X's and O's Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject:

CalisFinest wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
The discouraging part is that, these players are main cogs going forward and we already see that Byron doesn't know how to use them right. maybe it gets a little better, but the coaching staff should have been much more prepared in utilizing the Russell Clarkson duo creatively/optimally.

I might be wrong, but wasn't the point of the Princeton to hide talent deficiencies? We're sure doing a great job of making it look like we don't have any talent on the floor. It's giving our guys nothing to work with.

Unfortunately we are hiding our talents.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:02 pm    Post subject:

Princeton is keyed from putting a player in the high post... it's incredibly dumb if your talent is in the guard position ffs. Not to mention you're asking that player to make decisions with his back to the basket as opposed to facing up.

I don't like it. I don't like it at all. I think it's going to force the ball into Kobe's hands most of the time because he's our best back-to-the-basket player by far. They tried putting Russell in the high post a few times tonight but he's too weak to get position properly and he wasn't creating the proper passing angles.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:03 pm    Post subject:

It's also why I wasn't so high on the Hibbert move. Hibbert has immense talent, size etc. But he's not a great fit with what we were supposed to be trying to accomplish with the Russ pick and the Russ/Clarkson backcourt.

You want the 2 kids to have pace, space and a lot of freedom to push the ball. Now Byron may well give them this, it's not like the season has began. So I'll not dog him for what hasn't happned yet. However based on what I've heard and seen, if you've got Hibbert/Bass, you are likely trying to max out on post ups, mid-range shots and trying to be very halfcourt oriented. Factor we didn't sign a wing 3 point shooter like I wanted, and if Kobe starts at 3, it gives us no real space IMO.

We need to run a lot this coming season, and spread the floor in halfcourt sets so that Russ/Clarkson can go to work. If you don't do that, you'll bottle them up, and especially since you made such a huge investment in using the #2 pick on Russ, it makes little sense to not let him play his natural game. The Lou Williams move was another head scratcher because no doubt at 7 M he's a good get, but again he's yet another guy who wants the ball to create as a guard, and as a proven veteran it is likely Coach Scott will go to him moreso than Russell.

Would have loved to sign Tyson Chandler or R Lopez and would have loved to have had an athletic wing like Aminu or Carroll the like come in. Chandler/Aminu/Kobe/Russell/Clarkson - Randle/Young off the pine. Now you've got speed and bigs that like to set up the guards with picks, bigs that can play the post sprinter role without hesitation. Randle comes in off the bench and makes us even better as a full court team.

Hibbert will help as a shot blocker and someone that can score inside, but he shot 44% last year. I'm not understanding the vision. My gut says by season's start we'll have Kobe, Williams and Hibbert as our top 3 scorers, with Russ/Randle making an exciting bench. I've lowered my expectation for their role. Perhaps they don't want to put too much pressure on the younger players. As much as I hate losing, I rather watch a 27-30 win team playing in a style that'll maximize the younger players than win 35-40 games with veterans like Hibb/Bass/Williams getting more of a role. Those guys likely won't be here for long and they'll only impress people (in particular Hibbert) to get a huge contract next summer from the highest bidder.

X's and O's have to come in play when you put together a team. Seems there's some conflict as to what type of team they want to be, IMO. You want to give the guards as much help with the offense as possible to let them feel comfortable. I don't think our set up will call for that. I think we'll get more from Hibbert/Williams/Bass/Kobe in this set up than anything.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:16 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Our x's and o's? Burn them. All of them.

I refuse to even take a look at the videos. Heads up for the people who dwell on that nightmare.

Yeah, we need a new and modern coach, anyone who preaches pace and space and who can be creative with matchups and whatnot. A capable coach, i might say.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:15 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
It's not as if it's a secret or anything as to what the successful teams are running these days:

http://team.fastmodelsports.com/2015/07/10/san-antonios-influence-on-nba-xs-os/

I don't understand how no one has asked Byron about how bad our offense has looked. Even last season it was bad. We won't progress as a team until our entire coaching staff is fired.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Carlisle is at the end of his contract at the end of the year. He's getting paid 4.6 million. Give him a pay raise and go after him like there's no tomorrow.

Thibs is also available...
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:34 pm    Post subject:

something simple that we could have implemented in short time for SL, to get both Clarkson and Russell on the move early is "21 series"
lead guard passes ahead to secondary ball handler coming out of the corner - dribble handoff between those two , or the secondary ballhandler(Clarkson) can fake handoff and keep the ball, then gets a screen from a trailing big.
I like the secondary ball handler/wing coming off a trailing screen, that they show in a play or two. And also how they run Curry off off-ball screens out of this action.

also like the early drag/phoenix screens that they run, particularly this double drag screen -
- this opens up a great lane for a slashing PF like Randle after popping out.

There's dribble weave's in that video that would also be good action you could quickly teach for SL. Brown, Russell, and Clarkson would all probly get open mid range pullups from it, pretty easily.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Carlisle is at the end of his contract at the end of the year. He's getting paid 4.6 million. Give him a pay raise and go after him like there's no tomorrow.

Thibs is also available...

yes man! this times a million.
Carlisle does not wanna rebuild or be mediocre with the roster that they have going forward.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:36 pm    Post subject:

Anyone who think Madsen will be a good replacement coach if Byron gets fired needs a reality check. I don't think he has any more offensive scheme creativity than Byron.
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Madsen? No thanks. Luke Walton? I could see that more likely; I think he needs another 1-2 years, though, under Kerr, IMO.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Madsen? No thanks. Luke Walton? I could see that more likely; I think he needs another 1-2 years, though, under Kerr, IMO.

Talk is that they're promoting him to Gentry's spot.. Gimmie him or Carlslile next year and we'll be in great shape. Our players will take a leap
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
something simple that we could have implemented in short time for SL, to get both Clarkson and Russell on the move early is "21 series"
lead guard passes ahead to secondary ball handler coming out of the corner - dribble handoff between those two , or the secondary ballhandler(Clarkson) can fake handoff and keep the ball, then gets a screen from a trailing big.
I like the secondary ball handler/wing coming off a trailing screen, that they show in a play or two. And also how they run Curry off off-ball screens out of this action.

also like the early drag/phoenix screens that they run, particularly this double drag screen -
- this opens up a great lane for a slashing PF like Randle after popping out.

There's dribble weave's in that video that would also be good action you could quickly teach for SL. Brown, Russell, and Clarkson would all probly get open mid range pullups from it, pretty easily.

Yeah, that is a pistol action, which we were discussing earlier. It's a common set around the league and with two good PnR guards paried with athletic forwards, we should be better at it than most.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:47 pm    Post subject:

Carslile is a mage. That is a guy who knows what he's doing but he micromanages his point guards, that is lame
RichD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject:

CalisFinest wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
The discouraging part is that, these players are main cogs going forward and we already see that Byron doesn't know how to use them right. maybe it gets a little better, but the coaching staff should have been much more prepared in utilizing the Russell Clarkson duo creatively/optimally.

I might be wrong, but wasn't the point of the Princeton to hide talent deficiencies? We're sure doing a great job of making it look like we don't have any talent on the floor. It's giving our guys nothing to work with.

+1
Reflexx
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject:

RichD wrote:
CalisFinest wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

+1

It sure isn't hiding the coaching talent deficiency.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
Carslile is a mage. That is a guy who knows what he's doing but he micromanages his point guards, that is lame
He knows what he is doing but he is lame

Thibs is a winning coach but he drives his players into the ground

Stevens is a great young coach but has not won anything

Every coach has pros and cons
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:57 am    Post subject:

Oh id hire stevens in a milisecond. But yeah im not that high on anyone not named popovich or steve kerr (moreso because of his willingness to think outside the box and surround himself with great assistants) and maybe buddenholzer
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
Oh id hire stevens in a milisecond. But yeah im not that high on anyone not named popovich or steve kerr (moreso because of his willingness to think outside the box and surround himself with great assistants) and maybe buddenholzer
Stevens only worked (with the fans) is because Ainge was in full rebuild mode, as noted by the team trading everybody to get draft choices - which has not worked so far. The Celtics are still multiple years away especially Marcus Smart has been exposed to having many holes in his game. No responsibilities, no pressures to win and no egos since he has a roster filled with rookies. Lakers don't work that way

Blatt is another flavor of the month that once Lebron was on the roster, he has been on the hot seat (and still today) because of the pressures to win

Kerr was a move that definitely alarmed the fan base and the players. What saved Kerr was that they had a great record in the first month of the season without any big bumps and a fan base that haven't had a title or even smell the playoffs for 40 years. The team's legacy is the exact opposite of the Lakers. The Warriors are not the favorite to win another title or even the Western Conference. They did not add anybody of significance and lost David Lee. Some of their challenges could be
• Will they remain injury-free
• Spurs and Cavs have loaded up
• OKC can match their firepower and will have Ibaka to defend the paint. Will Curry be able to get off the same shots off with Westbrook guarding him
• TWolves are a younger version of the Warriors with just as many athletes

Don't know how BScott will do, but he was hired to bring back pride, tradition and defense - first. Thibs agenda to emphasize D worked to a certain degree in Chicago and yet he was fired
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject:

Here's a play I wanted to break down from the Sixers game. We discussed it in a couple other places and it was mentioned in the GS SB nation thread.

They start off in a Princeton entry set in which the Russell passes to the wing who passes to a big up top. So Tarik Black ends up handling the ball at the top of the key, but in this case, that's ok because he's going to handoff-roll back to Russell.

http://www.jes-basketball.com/animated/poffenseprincetonpt8entry1loop.html

At this point it's basically a high screen roll with imperfect spacing because Nance is standing around the 19 foot area after setting his pindown. His man, as in a typical PnR coverage goes to bump Black on his roll to give Okafor time to recover back to him after coming up on the screen.

Okafor is already sagging back so Black thinks he's completely covered by the two defenders. Russell looks like he's going to pass to Nance, which, for most point guards, would be a good read to the open man, albeit for the long range two. However, Russell sees the even better opportunity, and goes for the great pass rather than just the good one.

He fakes at Nance and throws it at Black in one motion. Nance's defender is completely fooled, leaving Black to run out to close out on him right was the pass is being thrown. Some posters said that Russell made the easy pass to Black difficult with a no-look, but that's not true- Black was never open to begin with until Russell freed him up.

Unfortunately, Black himself was fooled as well, and misses the catch, gesturing 'my bad' after the play. So this is why Russell was saying in his interviews that his teammates don't even know that they're open a lot of the times. With practice and familiarity, expect them to start connecting on some spectacular plays.

Video:
https://streamable.com/ey7g

(Watch Nance's defender throughout the whole play)
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:55 am    Post subject:

I want Byron gone now. His offensive schemes plain out suck
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/AminESPN

starting from about 6 horus ago, he tweeted a stream of live tweets of a Mike D'Antoni coaching seminar. Really wish he had stuck around, the guy is absolutely a genius basketball mind.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject:

I just want an actual offense designed around the players we have. Is that so much to ask? All byrons is doing is getting us contested shots late in the clock smh
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject:

What is this double screen at the top of the key nonsense?? The one where the 4 & 5 come set like a sandwich screen for the guard. I've never seen that at this level before. The lakers have run it every game
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
What is this double screen at the top of the key nonsense?? The one where the 4 & 5 come set like a sandwich screen for the guard. I've never seen that at this level before. The lakers have run it every game

Its called 45. A lot of teams run it now. I talked about it on the first page.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
22 wrote:

Its called 45. A lot of teams run it now. I talked about it on the first page.

Thanks fiend. Let me go read up right quick
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18
Jump to: