2015-16 X's and O's Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject:

Lakers running 45 way different than this clips posted. Those start above the 3 point line. And we start it around the top of the key
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:21 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Lakers running 45 way different than this clips posted. Those start above the 3 point line. And we start it around the top of the key

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the other kinds of screens we set are also in less than ideal positions, which result in a lot of long 2's.

Details matter, and we didn't seem to get many of them right either last year or this year, however early it is.

Last edited by fiendishoc on Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
22 wrote:

Yeah, it seems like a lot of the other kind screens we set are in less than ideal positions, which result in a lot of long 2's.

Details matter, and we didn't seem to get many of them right either last year or this season, however early it is.

Byron has got to go or he needs to change his ancient offense. I can't take this.

Fiend your threads are a gift and a curse lol. You're dropping bball knowledge left and right, but you're also highlighting how bad our coaching/offense is
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerBeastmode
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
something simple that we could have implemented in short time for SL, to get both Clarkson and Russell on the move early is "21 series"
lead guard passes ahead to secondary ball handler coming out of the corner - dribble handoff between those two , or the secondary ballhandler(Clarkson) can fake handoff and keep the ball, then gets a screen from a trailing big.
I like the secondary ball handler/wing coming off a trailing screen, that they show in a play or two. And also how they run Curry off off-ball screens out of this action.

also like the early drag/phoenix screens that they run, particularly this double drag screen -
- this opens up a great lane for a slashing PF like Randle after popping out.

There's dribble weave's in that video that would also be good action you could quickly teach for SL. Brown, Russell, and Clarkson would all probly get open mid range pullups from it, pretty easily.

They need try something else because our offense is garbage. No spacing and everyone collapsing on ISo
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:45 pm    Post subject:

I haven't been watching the sets/plays on O with a close eye, I've more so been watching the individual players and drowning watching and anticipating their play.
But i have noticed that when we abort the Princeton and horrible secondary Iso's , and run horns sets, they work so effectively. And that pisses me off because it just shows that if you run competent plays in SL, the D is not prepared for it. If we had a competent coach, we'd be feasting here in SL because team defenses are so raw here. lol.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject:

I shudder to think what his discussions with LMA were re "analytics" and his fit in Byron's "offense."
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if I could watch another full year of Byron's 'system' this year.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Ive already lost the hype. The team and coaches will have to bring it back. Its only summer league but we should have been winning those games by large margin...not like this. Not lije this
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
Ive already lost the hype. The team and coaches will have to bring it back. Its only summer league but we should have been winning those games by large margin...not like this. Not lije this

I had a lot more hype for the season before these summer league games, then I remembered who was coaching this team. :l
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Here's a play I wanted to break down from the Sixers game. We discussed it in a couple other places and it was mentioned in the GS SB nation thread.

They start off in a Princeton entry set in which the Russell passes to the wing who passes to a big up top. So Tarik Black ends up handling the ball at the top of the key, but in this case, that's ok because he's going to handoff-roll back to Russell.

http://www.jes-basketball.com/animated/poffenseprincetonpt8entry1loop.html

At this point it's basically a high screen roll with imperfect spacing because Nance is standing around the 19 foot area after setting his pindown. His man, as in a typical PnR coverage goes to bump Black on his roll to give Okafor time to recover back to him after coming up on the screen.

Okafor is already sagging back so Black thinks he's completely covered by the two defenders. Russell looks like he's going to pass to Nance, which, for most point guards, would be a good read to the open man, albeit for the long range two. However, Russell sees the even better opportunity, and goes for the great pass rather than just the good one.

He fakes at Nance and throws it at Black in one motion. Nance's defender is completely fooled, leaving Black to run out to close out on him right was the pass is being thrown. Some posters said that Russell made the easy pass to Black difficult with a no-look, but that's not true- Black was never open to begin with until Russell freed him up.

Unfortunately, Black himself was fooled as well, and misses the catch, gesturing 'my bad' after the play. So this is why Russell was saying in his interviews that his teammates don't even know that they're open a lot of the times. With practice and familiarity, expect them to start connecting on some spectacular plays.

Video:
https://streamable.com/ey7g

(Watch Nance's defender throughout the whole play)
thanks for the info

Appears the team is going to through the "Magic" Johnson - translation: they are going to have to get hit in the head with perfect passes to learn to always be ready
LakerBeastmode
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject:

Fiend I know it was hard to watch but can you break down the plays from the last few games? I'd love it thanks
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject:

^Sure, I wanted to talk about the 1st quarter woes and the Princeton anyway. Its going to take me a while to edit and upload the video though.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject:

I was losing my damn mind about 3 rows back last night. I was within earshot of Madsen. He was calling the plays every time down the court, Rick Carlisle style, except without the coaching talent and understanding of personnel. There must have been a dozen different plays too, with only a couple of days of practice. (bleep) awful.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I was losing my damn mind about 3 rows back last night. I was within earshot of Madsen. He was calling the plays every time down the court, Rick Carlisle style, except without the coaching talent and understanding of personnel. There must have been a dozen different plays too, with only a couple of days of practice. (bleep) awful.

So, you're basically confirming us that Madsen doesnt know how to coach properly. Good to know, shame you had to watch that terrible game, hope you at least watched the first one- against the wolves - , that was pretty okay for summer league, 4th quarter woes aside.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject:

Fruscas wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

So, you're basically confirming us that Madsen doesnt know how to coach properly. Good to know, shame you had to watch that terrible game, hope you at least watched the first one- against the wolves - , that was pretty okay for summer league, 4th quarter woes aside.

Oh, I had a great time either way. I got to see all 3 of our games. The talent of each of our guys is very apparent, with the possible exception of Anthony Brown, who I was disappointed with. The SL is just a different animal altogether. It's somewhere between a pickup game and an organized one. We certainly weren't the only disorganized team, although Madsen did quite a spectacular job of stifling our shot creators. These are our team assist totals for each of the games.

vs. T-Wolves = 9
vs. Sixers = 5
vs. Knicks = 6

That's 6.7apg....FOR THE ENTIRE TEAM. Just incredibly bad, stagnant offense. We were the most talented team there, with the possible exception of the Wolves, and easily the most disjointed.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Fruscas wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Oh, I had a great time either way. I got to see all 3 of our games. The talent of each of our guys is very apparent, with the possible exception of Anthony Brown, who I was disappointed with. The SL is just a different animal altogether. It's somewhere between a pickup game and an organized one. We certainly weren't the only disorganized team, although Madsen did quite a spectacular job of stifling our shot creators. These are our team assist totals for each of the games.

vs. T-Wolves = 9
vs. Sixers = 5
vs. Knicks = 6

That's 6.7apg....FOR THE ENTIRE TEAM. Just incredibly bad, stagnant offense. We were the most talented team there, with the possible exception of the Wolves, and easily the most disjointed.

Hey GT, can you enlighten me on what Anthony Brown has been doing wrong?

I've liked his game thus far. I just wanted to see some more passion in his game which I've flashes of in the last two. Especially when he went up against one of the 6ers PGs.

I'd like to know what you saw from being and there and having that coach's perspective
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:

and dang. There goes my dream of Madsen leading this team into the future
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

I've liked his game thus far. I just wanted to see some more passion in his game which I've flashes of in the last two. Especially when he went up against one of the 6ers PGs.

I'd like to know what you saw from being and there and having that coach's perspective

My feelings are similar, that he spends much of the game just drifting around. To be fair, what we're doing on offense is the complete opposite of what his game is predicated on. He's an amazing spot up shooter on a team that doesn't create many spot up 3's, so I understand why he's not more productive. I'd just like to see him make a play (as trite as that sounds) more often, like he did on that offensive rebound/tip-in last night. Minutes will go by when I don't even realize he's on the court.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:57 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
We certainly weren't the only disorganized team, although Madsen did quite a spectacular job of stifling our shot creators. These are our team assist totals for each of the games.

vs. T-Wolves = 9
vs. Sixers = 5
vs. Knicks = 6

It is strange they would have that type of confusion since there should have been enough carryover - continuity with J Brown, Black, Clarkson and Randle* already having been in the Lakers program last season.

Have the new faces fill in around them and it should have been at least respectable.

Something appears to be amiss.

* Randle didn't really play with the other three last season, but they all should have more than a cursory knowledge of each other.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
22 wrote:

My feelings are similar, that he spends much of the game just drifting around. To be fair, what we're doing on offense is the complete opposite of what his game is predicated on. He's an amazing spot up shooter on a team that doesn't create many spot up 3's, so I understand why he's not more productive. I'd just like to see him make a play (as trite as that sounds) more often, like he did on that offensive rebound/tip-in last night. Minutes will go by when I don't even realize he's on the court.

Gotcha. Completely understand this sentiment.

It boils down to the players not being comfortable in this system
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:04 pm    Post subject:

So can I call Scott's Offense "7 seconds or less" part 2?
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:05 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

That was brilliant, btw. I'd laugh if it didn't make me so angry.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:12 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

So sad. When I'm genuinely starting to ponder whether MDA should come back...

For the record, MDA is a brilliant tactician but wish he had better leadership skills. I think DLO would flourish under him. But no, we got the 7 seconds or less part 2...
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

For the record, MDA is a brilliant tactician but wish he had better leadership skills. I think DLO would flourish under him. But no, we got the 7 seconds or less part 2...

MDA would be better for all of our young players.

When Scott is gone I hope the Lakers are bold and don't hire a re-tread. This franchise needs to have a modern HC
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

MDA would be better for all of our young players.

When Scott is gone I hope the Lakers are bold and don't hire a re-tread. This franchise needs to have a modern HC

If there is anything positive to take from Byron's tenure, it's that these young players are being taught to go hard and compete hard. Now if we can instill that effort level into our young players and establish good "off-court" habits like work ethic and discipline, and then find a coach who can put them in an efficient and effective offensive system once they've become good pros. I just hope they aren't learning to think about basketball the way Byron does.

So for now I'm okay with it...Byron can be our Mark Jackson at least until we need to find our Steve Kerr.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 3 of 18
Jump to: