Why does everything suck nowadays? (basketball related)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thehotsung8701A
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:48 pm    Post subject: Why does everything suck nowadays? (basketball related)

Everything just suck nowadays compare to the 90's.

We had cool uniforms, logos, courts (Fedex Forum, etc...), personnel with swagger, real physical basketball league, and only star players deserve the max.

Nowadays everything is so generic and every single players love each other instead of viewing them as competition.

Everything is minimalistic nowadays, why? Why would you want to look generic? Majority of NBA team logos nowadays are ugly with either just a ball or an ugly word on it.

The Lakers and Celtics have kept their way but most teams haven't. I love the freaking cartoon graphics of the past like the Rockets, Sonics, Raptors (with the actual raptors), Vancouver Grizzlies, Grant Hill's Pistons, Miami Heat, etc...

Not to mention the music, NBA on NBC, Sunday's Basketball, not this ESPN and NBA on TNT crap.

Durant, Harden, Curry, Klay, Howard - no personality what so ever and are all friendly. Gone are the days of Pippen, Iverson, Kobe, MJ, Hill, Hakeem, Magic, DRob, Ewing, Thomas, etc... that want to win and play rough.

The NBA is now a soft league with superstar calls instead of a grind out physical league like in the past.

Basketball just isn't the same. Nowadays role players even get pay MAX, WTF?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does everything suck nowadays? (basketball related)

Lakersfan98 wrote:

Ah, 20 years from now there will be people asking, "Why does everything suck now compared to the 2010s when it was great."
Cap's Elbow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:25 am    Post subject:

90's basketball sucked. All about iso and backing down to the post. Really ugly basketball. Logos got worse in the 90's. They looked OK by themselves but when put on a jersey it just looked tacky. I do agree that the NBC music was the best and should be brought back. This is the only time you will catch me saying that any music by John Tesh is good.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Why does everything suck nowadays? (basketball related)

Lakersfan98 wrote:

We had cool uniforms, logos, courts (Fedex Forum, etc...)

>fedex forum

Oh man I remember that. They used to call it the Fabulous Fedex. Thems was the days, the 90s.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hawkins
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject:

and you damn kids stay off my lawn...the circle completes
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject:

Duuu maa, da Fe'ex fo'um jus suck man! Duuuuuuuuu maaaa
thehotsung8701A
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:

It should have been fix up! Now the only classic arena is Madison Square Garden. Modern Arena are so small compare to the old arena, I just hate it.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:13 am    Post subject:

I knew it.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Why does everything suck nowadays? (basketball related)

C M B wrote:
Lakersfan98 wrote:

>fedex forum

Oh man I remember that. They used to call it the Fabulous Fedex. Thems was the days, the 90s.

I remember saying hi to Chirp and Stan as we were walking to our nosebleed seats. I still miss him like crazy.

I miss their talks of the mythical Aardvark Sabrowski, in his prime, pre-injury and age. He was the most skilled center of all time. What a site to behold. Him and Elija Bailbond.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject:

Lakersfan98 wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:

It should have been fix up! Now the only classic arena is Madison Square Garden. Modern Arena are so small compare to the old arena, I just hate it.

Staples is larger than the Forum.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:37 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Lakersfan98 wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:

Staples is larger than the Forum.

Que? You mean Office Max, weirdo.
BruceLeroy1985
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:07 am    Post subject:

You are 110% correct. It is not just basketball. NFL is going the same way. Baseball is the only one that really hasn't changed much.

Of course the younger people will get mad at you because they hate believing that they are not witnessing the best of something so you will never be able to change their minds. They are completely and utterly wrong but they will still believe what they want to. But yeah 80s and early 90s were the best period for NBA.

I think it may have to do with money. Yeah they made a lot back then but nothing like they do now. So money has become more and more of a motivator rather than winning. Not saying everyone is motivated by money but I think it is obvious money plays a bigger part now than it ever has. So when you have a motivation other than winning there is less and less of a chance for real hated rivalries and in those hated rivalries is where individual personalities show up.

I am not complaining about what they get paid though. I believe there is no such thing as overpaid. The only people who can possibly be thought of as being overpaid are public employees. Because the people who pay them have no say in what their salaries are.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject:

Why truly compete when everyone gets an award for participation? It's just mirroring society in general. Sanitized, PC, lacking any conviction beyond "inclusiveness."
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:44 pm    Post subject:

The internet, that's why.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:46 pm    Post subject:

There is always a sense that times were better before, and that we've somehow gone backward. When the opposite is really more likely
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does everything suck nowadays? (basketball related)

Dladi Vidac wrote:
C M B wrote:
Lakersfan98 wrote:

>fedex forum

I remember saying hi to Chirp and Stan as we were walking to our nosebleed seats. I still miss him like crazy.

We used to be able to drop off packages while going to the games. Great. They had stars like Isaac "Magic" Austin and Big Game Stromile.
Gellollo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:12 am    Post subject:

I grew up with early 2000s basketball, but some minor things I liked back then...

1) Better nicknames
2) More franchise big men
3) Wearing respective team jerseys during the All Star games
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:48 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:

You kind of hit the nail on the head here. Players no matter how relevant are the brand now. They have Twitter Facebook etc to market themselves. With the Internet it's a pc world and the ramifications are fierce compared to what they had 15 years ago. You can't say what you want or talk about certain players because of the Internet. It could literally destroy your career. That's why it's safer for the players to be friends than to create a rival
Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:31 pm    Post subject:

Rabbid!

Gabby Johnson is right! Everything was much better in the good old days!

SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:51 pm    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

You kind of hit the nail on the head here. Players no matter how relevant are the brand now. They have Twitter Facebook etc to market themselves. With the Internet it's a pc world and the ramifications are fierce compared to what they had 15 years ago. You can't say what you want or talk about certain players because of the Internet. It could literally destroy your career. That's why it's safer for the players to be friends than to create a rival

the internet indeed. That's probably the real answer. It's changing everything. economy, sports, etc.

the major pro sports just may not capture the public's attention the way it used to. we have so many more entertainment options now. i was blown away the first time i got exposed to the video game tournament world. thousands of people watching others play against each other the way we used to watch the 80s lakers. that's a thing now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

the internet indeed. That's probably the real answer. It's changing everything. economy, sports, etc.

the major pro sports just may not capture the public's attention the way it used to. we have so many more entertainment options now. i was blown away the first time i got exposed to the video game tournament world. thousands of people watching others play against each other the way we used to watch the 80s lakers. that's a thing now.

Some of those tournaments are pretty big now...they hold it in baseball stadiums and they get filled to capacity. I know here in LA, they held the tournaments first at the Galen Center, then it got moved to Staples Center to accommodate more people.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject:

https://youtu.be/oV5LQcmuGg8
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Why does everything suck nowadays? (basketball related)

Lakersfan98 wrote:

We had cool uniforms, logos, courts (Fedex Forum, etc...), personnel with swagger, real physical basketball league, and only star players deserve the max.

Nowadays everything is so generic and every single players love each other instead of viewing them as competition.

Everything is minimalistic nowadays, why? Why would you want to look generic? Majority of NBA team logos nowadays are ugly with either just a ball or an ugly word on it.

The Lakers and Celtics have kept their way but most teams haven't. I love the freaking cartoon graphics of the past like the Rockets, Sonics, Raptors (with the actual raptors), Vancouver Grizzlies, Grant Hill's Pistons, Miami Heat, etc...

Not to mention the music, NBA on NBC, Sunday's Basketball, not this ESPN and NBA on TNT crap.

Durant, Harden, Curry, Klay, Howard - no personality what so ever and are all friendly. Gone are the days of Pippen, Iverson, Kobe, MJ, Hill, Hakeem, Magic, DRob, Ewing, Thomas, etc... that want to win and play rough.

The NBA is now a soft league with superstar calls instead of a grind out physical league like in the past.

Basketball just isn't the same. Nowadays role players even get pay MAX, what the heck?

i posted something similar last year. nowadays stars are all buddies. they don't talk about how bad he wants to beat the other guy on the court, rather they talk to join force together. just sickening. you think the crap Dandre Jordan pulled would fly in the 80's and 90's? he better sit out all 4 games against the Mavs next season if this were those old days.
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:48 am    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

I work in IT, so I can only complain so much. But giving people a voice on the internet who should NEVER have one, and reality-TV is killing this country IMO!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject:

LAKERSCMXCIX wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

That's people, not the internet.

We're in the overreaction era at the moment (amplified by the internet).

You can't say what you want or talk about certain players because people are hypersensitive and for now, pushing for a watered down world where everything is beige so that no one gets offended.

The internet itself doesn't destroy your career -- only people do.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: