Why does everything suck nowadays? (basketball related)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thehotsung8701A
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:29 pm    Post subject:

You guys are right and something I didn't think off. The internet is the reason why modern day everything suck and not just basketball.

I know people say that everything is a matter of opinion, but I truly believe the 90's were the golden era for everything, and I know for me it a fact, but I don't see otherwise. I don't think it nostalgia either. It wasn't long ago that we lived in the 90's.

It a shame we can never go back to those period in time. Technology kind of ruined everything.

Still can't believe it will be exactly 18 years since I first saw Kobe played (first year) and it will be 18 years that he will be retire from the nba.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfan98 wrote:
You guys are right and something I didn't think off. The internet is the reason why modern day everything suck and not just basketball.

And the Titans were stopped at the ONE YARD LINE! I mean, COME OOOON! Who loses the Superbowl like that?!?!

I remember when the Titans used to play in Houston. The Houston Titans they were called.

And I remember when Steve McNair was still alive. Never trust a B, Lakersfan98...
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject:

The 90s had the hottest women.
barrelesque
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Re: Why does everything suck nowadays? (basketball related)

Lakersfan98 wrote:
Everything just suck nowadays compare to the 90's.

We had cool uniforms, logos, courts (Fedex Forum, etc...), personnel with swagger, real physical basketball league, and only star players deserve the max.

Nowadays everything is so generic and every single players love each other instead of viewing them as competition.

Everything is minimalistic nowadays, why? Why would you want to look generic? Majority of NBA team logos nowadays are ugly with either just a ball or an ugly word on it.

The Lakers and Celtics have kept their way but most teams haven't. I love the freaking cartoon graphics of the past like the Rockets, Sonics, Raptors (with the actual raptors), Vancouver Grizzlies, Grant Hill's Pistons, Miami Heat, etc...

Not to mention the music, NBA on NBC, Sunday's Basketball, not this ESPN and NBA on TNT crap.

Durant, Harden, Curry, Klay, Howard - no personality what so ever and are all friendly. Gone are the days of Pippen, Iverson, Kobe, MJ, Hill, Hakeem, Magic, DRob, Ewing, Thomas, etc... that want to win and play rough.

The NBA is now a soft league with superstar calls instead of a grind out physical league like in the past.

Basketball just isn't the same. Nowadays role players even get pay MAX, what the heck?

this can't be a serious post
barrelesque
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:13 am    Post subject:

BruceLeroy1985 wrote:
You are 110% correct. It is not just basketball. NFL is going the same way. Baseball is the only one that really hasn't changed much.

Of course the younger people will get mad at you because they hate believing that they are not witnessing the best of something so you will never be able to change their minds. They are completely and utterly wrong but they will still believe what they want to. But yeah 80s and early 90s were the best period for NBA.

I think it may have to do with money. Yeah they made a lot back then but nothing like they do now. So money has become more and more of a motivator rather than winning. Not saying everyone is motivated by money but I think it is obvious money plays a bigger part now than it ever has. So when you have a motivation other than winning there is less and less of a chance for real hated rivalries and in those hated rivalries is where individual personalities show up.

I am not complaining about what they get paid though. I believe there is no such thing as overpaid. The only people who can possibly be thought of as being overpaid are public employees. Because the people who pay them have no say in what their salaries are.

you make a somewhat passable point in saying that "people want to believe what they are seeing is the best", but you have total and utter disregard of how much better the product on the court is nowadays. we've never seen basketball quite this good. have you watched a spurs game the past couple years? or even the warriors? big 3 era heat? we've never had it this good as viewers.

defense was an absolute joke in the 80's.
and the 90's league was watered down with expansion teams and terrible role players.

extreme accessibility to film/training, sports science, analytics, the explosion in basketball popularity(!!! this is a huge one) etc. mean absolutely everything positive for the product on court.

only negative things about 2000s- present NBA are twitter and social media making everyone so connected. and maybeeee over exposure to blue lights, but i'm not a doctor.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:59 am    Post subject:

90's basketball was pretty brutal to watch actually. Aside from the Bulls in the East and maybe the Jazz in the West, the league was kind of crappy. Plus the uniforms were an absolute vomit fest. The Raptors, Grizzlies, Hawks, Pistons, Cavs, Bucks and Rockets all slapped ugly letter fonts and cartoonish graphics on their jerseys.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Lakersfan98 wrote:

And the Titans were stopped at the ONE YARD LINE! I mean, COME OOOON! Who loses the Superbowl like that?!?!

I remember when the Titans used to play in Houston. The Houston Titans they were called.

And I remember when Steve McNair was still alive. Never trust a B, Lakersfan98...

It was the Houston Oilers. Not the Houston Titans
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject:

Saying one decade was better than another is like saying Italian food is better than Mexican food -- it's just a matter of taste.

Everyone is going to feel differently depending on:

-- Whether they like/dislike rule changes that affected how the game was played.

-- Whether they like/dislike how mass media/social media has brought us more information about players and teams.

-- How well their favorite team did during the period in question.

-- How old/involved in the sport they were during the period in question.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject:

Why does everything suck nowadays?

Because you're geting old.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Why does everything suck nowadays?

Because you're geting old.

About the most tiresome, insufferable sentiment is that of a generation that thinks theirs was great and the new one stinks.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Saying one decade was better than another is like saying Italian food is better than Mexican food -- it's just a matter of taste.

-- Whether they like/dislike rule changes that affected how the game was played.

-- Whether they like/dislike how mass media/social media has brought us more information about players and teams.

Not really a matter of taste though. It's more dependent on who you happen to be.
If your a blue collar American factory worker this decade sucks (it even sucks for their exploited Chinese counterparts). But if your a CEO then this decade, with record profits is better than ever.
If you happen to be a lakers fan this decade has definitely sucked so far, but for a Warriors fan or a Clippers fan it's been pretty rosey. Of course you can switch alliances from decade to decade but then you really wouldn't be a true fan.

Internet is just a medium, but it's easy to lay blame on something like that when you just happen to be in a 'wrong' group
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Not really a matter of taste though. It's more dependent on who you happen to be.

I'd say who you happen to be affects your taste.

Goldenwest wrote:
Of course you can switch alliances from decade to decade but then you really wouldn't be a true fan.

I've always hated the phrase "true fan." The NBA is nothing more than entertainment, and anyone should use it in any way that brings them the most entertainment. No right, wrong, better, worst way to be a fan, in my opinion.

Goldenwest wrote:
Internet is just a medium, but it's easy to lay blame on something like that when you just happen to be in a 'wrong' group

I disagree with your using the adjective "just" in front of "a medium." New forms of media have changed viewpoints, lifestyles and the world. It's like saying "cars were just a new form of transportation" -- true, but nothing was ever the same again, and perceptions of distance, and where you could go, work, or live was dramatically altered.
barrelesque
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
activeverb wrote:

If your a blue collar American factory worker this decade sucks (it even sucks for their exploited Chinese counterparts). But if your a CEO then this decade, with record profits is better than ever.
If you happen to be a lakers fan this decade has definitely sucked so far, but for a Warriors fan or a Clippers fan it's been pretty rosey. Of course you can switch alliances from decade to decade but then you really wouldn't be a true fan.

I'm 45 and I work on oil rigs. Been watching the NBA since '83 and this decade is easily my favorite. Best basketball I've seen, that much is pretty obvious if you understand good basketball.

And please, cool it with this "true fan" nonsense. I can't even ****ing control why/what my mind likes but people like you decide it's a platform to compete on. As if you get some type of reward or recognition for being a "true fan" when you could just secretly totally not be a, (your word) true fan.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:25 am    Post subject:

barrelesque wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
activeverb wrote:

I'm 45 and I work on oil rigs. Been watching the NBA since '83 and this decade is easily my favorite. Best basketball I've seen, that much is pretty obvious if you understand good basketball.

And please, cool it with this "true fan" nonsense. I can't even ****ing control why/what my mind likes but people like you decide it's a platform to compete on. As if you get some type of reward or recognition for being a "true fan" when you could just secretly totally not be a, (your word) true fan.

Sorry, just an opinion. Im talking about a TEAM fan, not a sports fan. if there are two laker fans and one jumps from the lakers to another team when the lakers are down and the second fan sticks with the lakers in tough times I'm calling that second fan a true lakers fan, not the first fan, got it?
And please don't bring your pers background into a sports discussion,
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: