A New Facilitator?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Canuck
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: A New Facilitator?

Obviously, L. Odom is just not consistent enough and just doesn't have the mind set to be an effective facilitator for this team. So my question to everyone is, other than Kobe, who on this current team could be a facilitator? Some people might say Luke, but he just simply is not NBA material. Who knows the triangle enough to drive this team? George? He couldn't be any worse than Odom could he? I know I'm grasping at straws, but what do you guys think; who could do it?
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject:

Why someone other than Kobe? Kobe had plenty of success as the Lakers facilitator for five seasons. Lakers went to the Finals FOUR out of five years and WON three titles with Kobe as the facilitator!

Phil is determined to force this position on Odom regardless of it's impact on Odom's confidence and the Lakers. It is obvious to everyone else. Move Odom into the post an Kobe BACK to the facilitator role. Kobe can score from anywhere on the court. Make the F'N MOVE!

Last edited by iml84myd8s on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
OscarWang
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:
Why someone other than Kobe? Kobe had plenty of success as the Lakers facilitator for five seasons. Lakers went to the Finals FOUR out of five years and one three titles with Kobe as the facilitator!

Phil is determined to force this position on Odom regardless of it's impact on Odom's confidence and the Lakers. It is obvious to everyone else. Move Odom into the post an Kobe BACK to the facilitator role. Kobe can score from anywhere on the court. Make the F'N MOVE!
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:

Kobe as facilitator ?

He had Shaq when he was a facilitator, now I don't think is the real answer for our problems, we need to trade Lamar to find somebody to do it.

Kobe is playing too damn good, don't mess up his game
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:
Why someone other than Kobe? Kobe had plenty of success as the Lakers facilitator for five seasons. Lakers went to the Finals FOUR out of five years and one three titles with Kobe as the facilitator!

:roll:
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:

I'm with you. I think Kobe has to be the new facilitator that way Odom can go to the post. It's probably the only way to get offensive output from Odom.
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject:

Sure, Kobe can be a fine facilitator, but one of his teammates must be able to be a legit #1 offensive option on the team, in order to justify wasting the scoring abilities of Kobe. Shaq was that player. Odom is most definitely not.
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject:

Kobe is about new challenges, as he says. He will not go back to the role, nor does he want to.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:

I'm with you. I think Kobe has to be the new facilitator that way Odom can go to the post. It's probably the only way to get offensive output from Odom.

Did you watch any games last year ?
rchanou
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject:

this is where we miss a guy like Laron Profit
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:

great idea. let's use all of kobe's energy as the facilitator and let smush take over the game in the 4th cause kobe is too tired.

Ludicrous.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
great idea. let's use all of kobe's energy as the facilitator and let smush take over the game in the 4th cause kobe is too tired.

Ludicrous.

What for do we have Odom?

Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject:

Odom and Kobe are the only qualified guys to facilitate, but I agree with drzucchini that there needs to be a number 1 option to receive the passes from the initiator. We all know Odom ain't it, but we all also know he CAN pass. So until we get a new team member, it's gotta be Odom.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:

Walton is just as effective as Odom at this point and he makes a small fraction of what Odom does. He may even be a better shooter at this point. He can also dribble w/ both hands. Smush and Sasha are also capable, especially Sasha. I think we need to go back to Cook starting over Kwame. We need as many shooters as possible.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject:

62 wrote:
msb212 wrote:

Ludicrous.

What for do we have Odom?

To be the facilitator. Don't let your hate for him cloud your judgement for the obvious.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:

Smel Counts wrote:
Walton is just as effective as Odom at this point and he makes a small fraction of what Odom does. He may even be a better shooter at this point. He can also dribble w/ both hands. Smush and Sasha are also capable, especially Sasha. I think we need to go back to Cook starting over Kwame. We need as many shooters as possible.

Agreed, Walton was an omission on my part. But still, would you want Walton running the show over Odom on a full-time basis? Odom is at least viewed as a scoring threat, but everyone knows Luke couldn't score if his life depended on it. We don't have much scoring punch in the starting lineup as it is, without Odom defenses could key on Kobe even more than they are today.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject:

No.

Just push LO harder and encourage him. Insert Vujacic into the starting lineup in place of Kwame so you get a better ballhandler and more spacing in the Triangle.

The starting lineup as it is, doesn't have players that can really take advantage of Kobe getting swarmed. Inserting a guard in place of of PF, and moving Odom to 4 - will definitely help spacing and the offense IMO.

Mihm
Odom
Bryant
Parker
Vujacic

I would give that lineup a try.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerRush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject:

Mitch better not sit on his a$$. He needs to make a move before the trade deadline, and it better include Odom imo. Lack of consistency is the worst trait a player could have. With his size and talent, he should be dominating guards down low, night in and night out!
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject:

How does Odom not have the right mindset to facilitate? I thought the knock on him was his lack of scoring, of not getting his own points. Wouldn't that unselfishness, and his nice assist numbers dictate he IS a good facilitator?
Vlade
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
No.

Just push LO harder and encourage him. Insert Vujacic into the starting lineup in place of Kwame so you get a better ballhandler and more spacing in the Triangle.

The starting lineup as it is, doesn't have players that can really take advantage of Kobe getting swarmed. Inserting a guard in place of of PF, and moving Odom to 4 - will definitely help spacing and the offense IMO.

Mihm
Odom
Bryant
Parker
Vujacic

It is an interesting idea Wolf, but that would leave us thin at guard on the bench unless McKie ever starts playing.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have any choice but to leave Odom in this role. As MSB points out, we can't waste Kobe's energies on making plays for guys like Smush.

The one thing we can do is diversify the ballhandling duties more, having Luke and Sasha take some of the load off of Odom. Neither Luke nor Sasha can take on the full load, but it would be good to get Odom more time on the court when he is not in the facilitator role. Hopefully it would make him more aggressive offensively.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
It is an interesting idea Wolf, but that would leave us thin at guard on the bench unless McKie ever starts playing.

Unfortunately, I don't think we have any choice but to leave Odom in this role. As MSB points out, we can't waste Kobe's energies on making plays for guys like Smush.

The one thing we can do is diversify the ballhandling duties more, having Luke and Sasha take some of the load off of Odom. Neither Luke nor Sasha can take on the full load, but it would be good to get Odom more time on the court when he is not in the facilitator role. Hopefully it would make him more aggressive offensively

Well off the bench, I'm expecting Walton to be the main ballhandler. And Kobe can slide into the 2 guard spot once George comes in off the bench.

Something like -

1st unit
Mihm
Odom
Bryant
Parker
Vujacic

2nd unit
Kwame
Cook
George
Bryant/Walton
Parker/Vujacic

You close out halves with the best 5 players of the half.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:

Ludicrous.

B-Scott
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
No.

Mihm
Odom
Bryant
Parker
Vujacic

I Like that lineup.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject:

I'd start Cook at PF and Vujacic over Parker. It worked well when Kwame was out except in certain situations/matchups at PF.
Mihm/Kwame/Bynum
Cook/Kwame/Turiaf
Odom/Walton (initiator w/ Sasha out)
Kobe/George
Sasha (Initiator- extremely smart, can shoot, and can excel from the top of the circle)/Smush
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject:

drzucchini wrote:
Sure, Kobe can be a fine facilitator, but one of his teammates must be able to be a legit #1 offensive option on the team, in order to justify wasting the scoring abilities of Kobe. Shaq was that player. Odom is most definitely not.

that about sums it up...who would kobe be setting up?

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: