A New Facilitator?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
40ptmachine
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:

B-Scott wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
No.

Just push LO harder and encourage him. Insert Vujacic into the starting lineup in place of Kwame so you get a better ballhandler and more spacing in the Triangle.

The starting lineup as it is, doesn't have players that can really take advantage of Kobe getting swarmed. Inserting a guard in place of of PF, and moving Odom to 4 - will definitely help spacing and the offense IMO.

Mihm
Odom
Bryant
Parker
Vujacic

I would give that lineup a try.

I Like that lineup.

Lamar defending PFs ?

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Lamar defending PFs ?

Ehh ...

http://www.82games.com/0506/05LAL10C.HTM

Didn't the Pacers show you anything? It's team defense. If you play a well executed team defensive plan to stop teams from attacking certain spots and giving them openings in others - you can contain teams.

The Lakers this season have been up and down in team defense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Canuck
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject:

BigEvil wrote:
How does Odom not have the right mindset to facilitate? I thought the knock on him was his lack of scoring, of not getting his own points. Wouldn't that unselfishness, and his nice assist numbers dictate he IS a good facilitator?

Are you serious??? Odom consistently makes dumb decisions out on the floor! I don't know what games you have been watching, but that is a direct correlation to his mind set. Odom continuously makes the same move and always gets called for the charge. His increasing turnovers is also a testament of his poor decision making abilities. That my friend is a person who doesn't have the right mind set.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject:

B-Scott wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
No.

Just push LO harder and encourage him. Insert Vujacic into the starting lineup in place of Kwame so you get a better ballhandler and more spacing in the Triangle.

The starting lineup as it is, doesn't have players that can really take advantage of Kobe getting swarmed. Inserting a guard in place of of PF, and moving Odom to 4 - will definitely help spacing and the offense IMO.

Mihm
Odom
Bryant
Parker
Vujacic

I would give that lineup a try.

I Like that lineup.

We had that lineup against Milwaukee and Toronto on the road this year already, we won both games and Odom had like 18 pts on 60% FG on those games.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Kobe wasn't free of turnovers and boneheaded plays as a facilitator either. My point was that his "mindset" was that of a facilitator do to his play on the court. Whether he's effective is another matter.

And I don't see why he can't improve his skills like most other PG's/facilitators that apply themselves over time.

I think it's just important to make a distinction between the mindset and the current skills of a player. A mindset is much harder to change/work on than particular skills.
Canuck
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject:

I hear what your saying, but woudn't you say that your mindset is a direct reflection of how effective you are?
Shapecity
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject:

I don't think the offense is the main problem of the Lakers. Their biggest problem is on defense and not being able to get stops down the stretch. Whether it's early foul trouble, slow rotations, zero transistion defense, not boxing out, double teaming the wrong people, etc.

The offense gets in trouble when the Lakers play from behind. They start to panic and everyone stands around and waits for #8 to bail them out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SoCalRebel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Shapecity wrote:

The offense gets in trouble when the Lakers play from behind. They start to panic and everyone stands around and waits for #8 to bail them out.

Exactly. Someone needs to step up and become the legit number 2 option on this team, or we need to trade for one. If that doesn't happen I don't even see us making the playoffs.
iml84myd8s
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject:

msb212 wrote:
great idea. let's use all of kobe's energy as the facilitator and let smush take over the game in the 4th cause kobe is too tired.

Ludicrous.

You've got to be kidding? How much f'n energy does it take to dribble the ball half way up the court and toss it into the post to setup the triangle offense?

Odom and Smush do it now. HOW F'N TIRED DO THEY LOOK AFTER THEY BRING THE BALL UP COURT?!?!

The difference is Kobe will be tossing the ball into Odom. Then Odom can pass out of the post as he did with great success in Miami. This leaves Kobe to come off screnes and cut through the lane without the ball, as Rip does in Detroit. After all, this was the main reason Kobe worked so hard on his cardio in the offseason rather than the weights. Kobe and Phil, both stated they wanted Kobe moving without the ball.

Right now, Kobe waits for Odom to dribble across half court, Kobe jumps into the post with a defender in his jock and demands the entree pass from Odom. Next, Odom stands at the 3-pt line and watches Kobe try a fall away jumper over the defender and help defenders.

Sounds like a great use of Odom and Kobe. This is a much better use of Kobe's energy.
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject:

iml84myd8s wrote:
Why someone other than Kobe? Kobe had plenty of success as the Lakers facilitator for five seasons. Lakers went to the Finals FOUR out of five years and WON three titles with Kobe as the facilitator!

Phil is determined to force this position on Odom regardless of it's impact on Odom's confidence and the Lakers. It is obvious to everyone else. Move Odom into the post an Kobe BACK to the facilitator role. Kobe can score from anywhere on the court. Make the F'N MOVE!

DO IT, MITCH!
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
No.

Just push LO harder and encourage him.

You know all is lost when the best the Odom homers come up with are "push him harder" and "encourage" him more. Simply brilliant.

Last edited by KA_2 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
KA_2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
Lamar defending PFs ?

Ehh ...

http://www.82games.com/0506/05LAL10C.HTM

Didn't the Pacers show you anything? It's team defense. If you play a well executed team defensive plan to stop teams from attacking certain spots and giving them openings in others - you can contain teams.

The Lakers this season have been up and down in team defense.

And yet, Lamar Odom still can't defend PFs. You might as well cite ESPN while you're at it, after all, who didn't know that LeBron was a better defender than Prince? 82games' opponent PER said it, so it must be true!
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject:

something I posted in another Lamar thread...

3 things We can do with Odom:

1) Continue playing him at the point-forward position and watch him fail miserably.
2) Move him to a different role and maximize his abilities. He's not a point and let's stop forcing the issue with him. He doesn't have point guard skills, and most likely won't have any.
3) Trade him.

I go with #2, if we don't want to go to #3. I'm done with option #1 - it's a failed experiment.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
QuietStorm
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject:

I spoke with a former college player, and we felt that Profit was a candidate to be the facilitator before he was injured. The team misses his presence off the bench as he was a 'glue' guy that the Lakers hoped McKie would be. Without him, the bench is wildly inconsistent which contributes to the team's overall inconsistency. Besides, Tex loves him and endorsed the idea in November.

I was hoping that we would eventually see Profit, Kobe, Odom, Kwame, and Mihm as our starting 5 with Profit assuming the facilitator duties. Kobe and Lamar would then serve as backup facilitators when necessary.

Devin Green is at least a year away from contributing in this role; another guy that Tex endorses.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject:

QuietStorm wrote:
I spoke with a former college player, and we felt that Profit was a candidate to be the facilitator before he was injured. The team misses his presence off the bench as he was a 'glue' guy that the Lakers hoped McKie would be. Without him, the bench is wildly inconsistent which contributes to the team's overall inconsistency. Besides, Tex loves him and endorsed the idea in November.

I was hoping that we would eventually see Profit, Kobe, Odom, Kwame, and Mihm as our starting 5 with Profit assuming the facilitator duties. Kobe and Lamar would then serve as backup facilitators when necessary.

Devin Green is at least a year away from contributing in this role; another guy that Tex endorses.

Profit is definitely missed. Freak injuries suck.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
shiznak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
iml84myd8s wrote:
Why someone other than Kobe? Kobe had plenty of success as the Lakers facilitator for five seasons. Lakers went to the Finals FOUR out of five years and one three titles with Kobe as the facilitator!

Phil is determined to force this position on Odom regardless of it's impact on Odom's confidence and the Lakers. It is obvious to everyone else. Move Odom into the post an Kobe BACK to the facilitator role. Kobe can score from anywhere on the court. Make the F'N MOVE!

I'm with you. I think Kobe has to be the new facilitator that way Odom can go to the post. It's probably the only way to get offensive output from Odom.

Chris Mihm - "...the reason he's been forced to take as many shots as he has is because our offense tends to stagnate and then we just have a tendency to throw him the ball. When we don't keep moving, then he's kind of forced to get something up."
QuietStorm
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
QuietStorm wrote:

Profit is definitely missed. Freak injuries suck.

Agreed. Sometimes Kobe gets tired late in games, imagine if he ran the offense as well! We absolutely require Kobe to score so I'd rather see someone else facilitate the offense.
kobe_somebody_odom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject:

Smel Counts wrote:
I'd start Cook at PF and Vujacic over Parker. It worked well when Kwame was out except in certain situations/matchups at PF.
Mihm/Kwame/Bynum
Cook/Kwame/Turiaf
Odom/Walton (initiator w/ Sasha out)
Kobe/George
Sasha (Initiator- extremely smart, can shoot, and can excel from the top of the circle)/Smush

This is a good lineup, but I prefer LO at PF. I would put George at 3 and bring Kwame/Cook off of the bench.

Sasha/Smush
Kobe/Kobe
George/Walton
Odom/Cook
Mihm/ Kwame
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject:

Have patience people. Why? This excerpt is from this month's issue of Dime magazine. It is written by Kobe Bryant himself. He is referring to learning his roles during the championship years:

Quote:
But now I worry because I know how hard that was for me to learn, how many sleepless nights I had and how much criticism and trade rumors I had to endure before I mastered my role. This is probably what my current teammates are going through. All I can do is pray that one day we will reach the same level of chemistry and understanding that existed between me, Shaq, Rick Fox, Derek Fisher, Robert Horry and all the other players I once went to war with.

Say no more on the LO subject. He needs our support more than most know. Add to it he just tore cartilage in his ribs and he had shoulder surgery in the offseason and you have a guy who needs positive vibes from us diehard Laker fans. Not because he is Lamar Odom, but because he wears Purple and Gold and that makes him special. If Kobe had sleepless nights with all his confidence - what is happening to Lamar?

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:05 am    Post subject:

Maybe many of you don't understand. Kobe is a scorer. That is what he is best at, thats what he views himself as, and most importantly thats what Phil wants this team to work through.

You don't take away the defining strength of your ball club to get the #2 guy to fall in line. Everyone is put in the best position for the team, not for their own success.

Odom is put in the facilitator role because thats what the team needs out of him. If he can't handle it, then he needs to be replaced by someone who can. But don't believe that Odom would have more success on anywhere else on the floor.

Forget team defense umbrella so many are hiding on, Odom can't defend the block. You need the necessary size and strength to start or you're losing the battle before it even begins. Why is the Laker interior defense better this year than last? Because Kwame Brown is keeping bodies away from the basket. Odom gets plenty of long rebounds but he's not controlling the glass ala Ben Wallace, Dwight Howard. Can anyone remember Odom just skying over the opposing team for the boards or controlling the ball in traffic? No. He's multi-talented but he's not KG.

Hopefully LO starts to get it through the second half of the season. But if the year finishes like he's playing now, he'll be replaced this summer by someone who has the mindset to play that role. But it won't be Kobe.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Odom is put in the facilitator role because thats what the team needs out of him. If he can't handle it, then he needs to be replaced by someone who can. But don't believe that Odom would have more success on anywhere else on the floor.

Forget team defense umbrella so many are hiding on, Odom can't defend the block. You need the necessary size and strength to start or you're losing the battle before it even begins. Why is the Laker interior defense better this year than last? Because Kwame Brown is keeping bodies away from the basket. Odom gets plenty of long rebounds but he's not controlling the glass ala Ben Wallace, Dwight Howard. Can anyone remember Odom just skying over the opposing team for the boards or controlling the ball in traffic? No. He's multi-talented but he's not KG.

Hopefully LO starts to get it through the second half of the season. But if the year finishes like he's playing now, he'll be replaced this summer by someone who has the mindset to play that role. But it won't be Kobe.

Well said.

Well said indeed. BTW - What happenned to all that LO is being traded for Ron stuff ?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject:

drzucchini wrote:
Sure, Kobe can be a fine facilitator, but one of his teammates must be able to be a legit #1 offensive option on the team, in order to justify wasting the scoring abilities of Kobe. Shaq was that player. Odom is most definitely not.

I agree. If Lamar can't work through his difficulties, I think the easier path is to put the facilitator role back in the hands of the other guard like we did when we had Harper and B-Shaw.

It's a lot easier to find a replacement for Smush than it is for LO. Other than LeBron and Grant Hill, who's a big injury risk with a big contract, there are really no solid point-forwards out there. There are forwards who can score, forwards who can defend, and forwards who can score and defend like Artest, but few who do both and think "pass" and "setup the offense" first.
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject:

Wolfpaclaker again with his team defense crap.

Thought he would stop after Sky owned him time and time again.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject:

Oh so I must be dreaming that the Lakers have the best 3 point defense in the NBA?

Or that they are one of the best rebounding teams?

Or that they are top 10 in the PPG differencial of offense and defense?

Please. Team defense is incredibly important. The Pacers didn't have JO or Artest yet they shutdown the Lakers through good team defense.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A New Facilitator?

Canuck wrote:
Obviously, L. Odom is just not consistent enough and just doesn't have the mind set to be an effective facilitator for this team. So my question to everyone is, other than Kobe, who on this current team could be a facilitator? Some people might say Luke, but he just simply is not NBA material. Who knows the triangle enough to drive this team? George? He couldn't be any worse than Odom could he? I know I'm grasping at straws, but what do you guys think; who could do it?

Not grasping at straws. This is precisely why I want a TRUE PG running the triangle offense.

No one else on the team is talented enough.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: