Clippers Sign Josh Smith
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:03 am    Post subject: Clippers Sign Josh Smith

Clippers pretending to be something that they are not....oh well...I hope they crash and burn and everyone asks for a trade....

http://www.si.com/nba/2015/07/16/los-angeles-clippers-josh-smith-contract
etmo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:12 am    Post subject:

Smart move by the Clips. Smith is value for the vet minimum.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Great pickup. Surprised he left Houston. Thought he and Dwight were besties and he seemed to thrive in their system, especially since they were fine with him shooting the 3 ball. Clips looking pretty strong this year.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Damn. With Pierce and Smith, they might actually make it out of the second round for once.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject:

I wonder why the Rockets chose not to bring him back? He seemed like he was fitting in well there and never complained about coming off the bench. I guess they are kind of loaded up front with Montiejunas, Popanikolaou, Capela and Brewer coming back and drafting Sam Dekker.
TrueLies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:

That nonexistent bench was their downfall in the playoffs last year, and now they have a solid backup in every position. Not to mention they still have Crawford to use as trade bait.

Gotta give Doc credit, as bad as he gutted the team once he took over, he really went all out this offseason
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject:

TrueLies wrote:
That nonexistent bench was their downfall in the playoffs last year, and now they have a solid backup in every position. Not to mention they still have Crawford to use as trade bait.

Gotta give Doc credit, as bad as he gutted the team once he took over, he really went all out this offseason

Hopefully they still lose they are the only la team I have no love for
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:22 pm    Post subject:

The Clippers are stacked.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
I wonder why the Rockets chose not to bring him back? He seemed like he was fitting in well there and never complained about coming off the bench. I guess they are kind of loaded up front with Montiejunas, Popanikolaou, Capela and Brewer coming back and drafting Sam Dekker.

Wasn't their choice. He took less to go to the Clippers.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:

when you're playing for next year's contract, no play time is a killer. If Houston was healthy he;d probably see 20-30 dnp-cds.
Worthy42
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Man Clips doing great.

Dropping that team bbiq with Josh and Wes.

Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:14 am    Post subject:

Smith improves that club a lot.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:09 pm    Post subject:

Dang, he booked it out of Houston pretty quick, huh?
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Here they come, get ready to see a lot more Clipper flags and jerseys this year,

Wake up Lakers
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject:

Did the Rockets even wanted him back?
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:

Of course we did. It's tough to find players like him for $2.5M. He chose the option with more playing time though.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Runway8 wrote:

Of course we did. It's tough to find players like him for $2.5M. He chose the option with more playing time though.

Why would he get more PT in Clipper land than HOU? Clips have Jordan, Griffen, Pierce, Stephenson and even Wesley Johnson, all going to get minutes up front. Smith won't be guaranteed more than 20-22 mpg, IMO. I don't think Doc will start Smith at the 3, and if Doc does, he'll soon realize it will be a huge mistake.

To me it seems he just wanted the LA spotlight to get more money in FA next summer, and he probably views the Clippers as a better roster as of this moment.

Smith's made a mistake though. It was so evident how good a fit he was playing next to Dwight and Harden. First time in his career he looked like a serious impact player in important situations. They were good at utilizing his playmaking skills and didn't have a better starting PF. In LAC, they have Griffen whose clearly their best PF. I don't buy he'll get more minutes or make a bigger mark than in HOU at all. He's jumping on to a team that he views will go further and make him more money in FA 2016.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Why would he get more PT in Clipper land than HOU? Clips have Jordan, Griffen, Pierce, Stephenson and even Wesley Johnson, all going to get minutes up front. Smith won't be guaranteed more than 20-22 mpg, IMO. I don't think Doc will start Smith at the 3, and if Doc does, he'll soon realize it will be a huge mistake.

Pierce, Stephenson and Johnson aren't bigs. Smith will be the first big off the bench for LA. In Houston he would be competing with Jones at backup PF and Capela at backup C.

I agree that he thinks he will make more by being there, but it's mainly because he will play more. That's what all the "defined role" talk was about.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Clippers are stacked... Rivers is a good coach...he'll make this work.
he made Jordan into a star, he can really use Josh Smith in a similar way... flying and dunking with Griffin and Jordan.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Rivers is a good coach...

Are you (bleep) kidding me? Rivers is an absolute piece of (bleep) coach.

Scapegoat artist, excuse makin' , (bleep) talkin', ra-ra spewin' piece of crap of a coach.

Clippers will never do (bleep) with him as the head coach. He won it once with an insanely stacked Boston team and the refs in his pocket. He is probably one of the worst coaches in NBA history. Players might love him but that's only because he gives them an out, an excuse and a doesn't put any pressure on them. (bleep) that guy as a coach. He's the perfect coach for the Clippers though.
SlickVic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:00 pm    Post subject:

frijolero01 wrote:
Damn. With Pierce and Smith, they might actually make it out of the second round for once.

Maybe, but I don't think these moves put them above the Spurs or Warriors. I still see them slugging it out with Memphis, Houston, and OKC (if healthy) for the remaining Top 4 spots (not that the Spurs or Warriors are necessarily guaranteed top seeds either).

But this is the NBA. Injuries are a big part of the game. Teams don't always play as good as they look on paper or even compared to how well they played in seasons past. So the Clippers certainly have a decent shot of making it to the WCF after these moves and keeping Jordan.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
Drifts wrote:

Scapegoat artist, excuse makin' , (bleep) talkin', ra-ra spewin' piece of crap of a coach.

Clippers will never do (bleep) with him as the head coach. He won it once with an insanely stacked Boston team and the refs in his pocket. He is probably one of the worst coaches in NBA history. Players might love him but that's only because he gives them an out, an excuse and a doesn't put any pressure on them. (bleep) that guy as a coach. He's the perfect coach for the Clippers though.

lol... so this guy, who's won a championship, 2 NBA finals appearances, made the playoffs 13 out of 16 seasons, and has a 57% winning percentage is one of the worst coaches in NBA history?

"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:38 pm    Post subject:

It's not like Smith is horrendous but I think he can hurt a team as much as he helps them.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:47 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Dladi Vidac wrote:
Drifts wrote:

lol... so this guy, who's won a championship, 2 NBA finals appearances, made the playoffs 13 out of 16 seasons, and has a 57% winning percentage is one of the worst coaches in NBA history?

He's a piece of (bleep) as a coach.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
It's not like Smith is horrendous but I think he can hurt a team as much as he helps them.

He can, but LA had no bench bigs. They were rolling out Davis and Hawes last year. The other bigs on their team are guys like Aldrich. When Blake sat they were screwed. He can get rest now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: