Lakers in the News 7/18/15: Byron Scott says D'Angelo Russell is 'not Magic Johnson'
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:16 pm    Post subject: Lakers in the News 7/18/15: Byron Scott says D'Angelo Russell is 'not Magic Johnson'

Byron Scott says D'Angelo Russell is 'not Magic Johnson'
by Eric Pincus - latimes.com

The Lakers wrapped up summer league in Las Vegas on Friday with an 84-78 loss to the Utah Jazz, falling to 1-4 despite carrying at least seven players under contract that will play for the team this upcoming season.

"I think we all expected them to be better, but we all need to understand that they're still very young and very new to this," said Coach Byron Scott, who observed the games while assistant coach Mark Madsen ran the summer squad.

"They've got a long way to go," Scott said. "They have a lot of work to do. I'm very happy with the progress they made from game one to game five."

..."Let's make this very clear, Russell is not Magic Johnson," said Scott. "Magic came on the scene, and instantly he's a Hall-of-Famer. D'Angelo has a way to go, there's no doubt about that.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-byron-scott-dangelo-russell-not-magic-20150717-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Los Angeles Lakers Superstar Kobe Bryant Once Wore Signature Jordan Sneakers, And Now It Just Sold For $25K!
asianpin.com

Only sneakerheads would remember, but Kobe Bryant was for a brief period part of the Jordan brand and now the shoes, signed by the Los Angeles Lakers superstar himself, were sold for a cool $25,000.

When Jelly Bean was a rookie, he wore Adidas and when he cut ties with the brand, he was the most sought after free agent in terms of being one of the biggest shoe endorsers back in 2002-2003 season.

Nike had Kobe Bryant test a pair of size 14 Player Edition Air Jordan VII, featuring the signature purple and gold color of the Los Angeles Lakers. The 6-6 shooting guard scored 46 points wearing the sneakers on Feb. 6, 2003.

http://asianpin.com/los-angeles-lakers-superstar-kobe-bryant-once-wore-signature-jordan-sneakers-and-now-it-just-sold-for-25k/
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Lakers Summer League: What we learned in Las Vegas
by Harrison Faigen - silverscreenandroll.com

The Los Angeles Lakers' time at Summer League was a disappointment to most, especially in light of the expectations that this would be the most talented squad the Lakers had ever sent to Las Vegas. Julius Randle started out rusty, D'Angelo Russell needs more time to adjust to the speed of the NBA game, and the half-court offense the Lakers ran could best be described as a bunch of guys running in circles hoping something would happen.

But now, with the benefit of hindsight, what did we learn from the Lakers' Las Vegas excursion? Here are some thoughts, with insight from covering the team at the Thomas and Mack Center.

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2015/7/17/8987405/la-lakers-summer-league-analysis-observations
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Lakers valued at $2.6 Billion
by Warner Todd Huston - breitbart.com

A new survey of the most valuable sports teams in the world finds that America’s NFL teams rank in as some of the top moneymakers in sports with the Dallas Cowboys in second place overall. But Real Madrid soccer tops them all as the most valuable professional sports team.

...The first basketball team to appear is the Los Angeles Lakers, valued at $2.6 billion and hitting at number six on the list.

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2015/07/18/dallas-cowboys-second-most-valuable-sports-team-in-the-world/
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers in the News 7/18/15: Byron Scott says D'Angelo Russell is 'not Magic Johnson'

lakersfreak wrote:

The Lakers wrapped up summer league in Las Vegas on Friday with an 84-78 loss to the Utah Jazz, falling to 1-4 despite carrying at least seven players under contract that will play for the team this upcoming season.

"I think we all expected them to be better, but we all need to understand that they're still very young and very new to this," said Coach Byron Scott, who observed the games while assistant coach Mark Madsen ran the summer squad.

"They've got a long way to go," Scott said. "They have a lot of work to do. I'm very happy with the progress they made from game one to game five."

..."Let's make this very clear, Russell is not Magic Johnson," said Scott. "Magic came on the scene, and instantly he's a Hall-of-Famer. D'Angelo has a way to go, there's no doubt about that.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-byron-scott-dangelo-russell-not-magic-20150717-story.html

"Let's make this very clear, Byron Scott is not Gregg Popovich," said ChickenStu.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:48 am    Post subject:

thanks lakersfreak
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers in the News 7/18/15: Byron Scott says D'Angelo Russell is 'not Magic Johnson'

ChickenStu wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:

"Let's make this very clear, Byron Scott is not Gregg Popovich," said ChickenStu.

ChickenStu

What a dismissive thing to say...brilliant coach.
Hydro21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers in the News 7/18/15: Byron Scott says D'Angelo Russell is 'not Magic Johnson'

lakersfreak wrote:

was he expecting Magic johnson or something ?? guess that would explain Russell role the first 2 games lol
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Lakers in the News 7/18/15: Byron Scott says D'Angelo Russell is 'not Magic Johnson'

lakersfreak wrote:

They are better its your assistant who we thought was better. I wish Lionel Hollins was coaching this team instead of Scott.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:07 am    Post subject:

There's nothing wrong with what Scott said. He is correct. Russell is not Magic Johnson! Not counting his half-season comeback in 1996, the real NBA legend Magic Johnson has been gone for almost a quarter century. During that time, there has not been another player like Magic Johnson, and the fabled "Showtime", created by Magic, has never re-emerged either. And neither of those phenomena will EVER happen again.

The hype on all of these young guys is ridiculous. All these insipid comparisons to former players is silly. Just let the players develop and see how it all pans out.

Scott was exactly right, Magic came into the league and instantly changed it. It seems doubtful D'Angelo Russell will do that. He played a nice game last night and that was great to see. I have no doubt he's going to be a fine player, but it may not happen overnight.

Summer league games are meaningful in that they help the players and coaching staff get a feel for the things that need to be worked on. But from a media and fan "analysis" standpoint, their value seems minimal, and imo there's far too much emphasis placed on them.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with what Scott said. He is correct. Russell is not Magic Johnson! Not counting his half-season comeback in 1996, the real NBA legend Magic Johnson has been gone for almost a quarter century. During that time, there has not been another player like Magic Johnson, and the fabled "Showtime", created by Magic, has never re-emerged either. And neither of those phenomena will EVER happen again.

The hype on all of these young guys is ridiculous. All these insipid comparisons to former players is silly. Just let the players develop and see how it all pans out.

Scott was exactly right, Magic came into the league and instantly changed it. It seems doubtful D'Angelo Russell will do that. He played a nice game last night and that was great to see. I have no doubt he's going to be a fine player, but it may not happen overnight.

Summer league games are meaningful in that they help the players and coaching staff get a feel for the things that need to be worked on. But from a media and fan "analysis" standpoint, their value seems minimal, and imo there's far too much emphasis placed on them.

I need next weeks lotto numbers thanks in advance I don't know of one person who was expecting a Magic type of rookie season. The Magic comparisons was about court vision and not expectations.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:48 am    Post subject:

Can't give out the lotto numbers, I keep those for myself.

Seriously, there's only 25 years of evidence that there won't ever be another Magic or Showtime. How many more years do we need?

I've heard the name Magic Johnson in the same sentence as D'Angelo Russell on several occasions since he was drafted. He's a 19 year old kid. As for court vision, the jury's out on that as well. Magic had eyes in the back of his head. Again, to date, this fan hasn't seen anybody else like that.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:

Seriously, there's only 25 years of evidence that there won't ever be another Magic or Showtime. How many more years do we need?

I've heard the name Magic Johnson in the same sentence as D'Angelo Russell on several occasions since he was drafted. He's a 19 year old kid. As for court vision, the jury's out on that as well. Magic had eyes in the back of his head. Again, to date, this fan hasn't seen anybody else like that.

How many years was it for the Celtics and their last championship? All time shows is that it's very rare. I don't think it's an indication that it wont happen. As far as court vision goes this guy vision is sick. It's like the Matrix he sees things in slow motion it's his teammates that aren't seeing things. Hopefully Kobe and the other vets are able to see it coming.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:09 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:

I agree that no reasonable person (i.e., I mean no one) expected Russell to be Magic Johnson. I simply think the club got some high potential help in this draft, and that there is more talent on the new roster than on one we saw last year. One step at a time.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:24 am    Post subject:

Knicks, Lakers learning to rebuild the hard way
by Tim MacMahon - ESPN

Not to damn the vibe with faint praise, but the atmosphere for Monday evening's summer league game between two of the NBA's flagship franchises more than matched the intensity of Madison Square Garden or Staples Center on a lot of nights last season.

Fans filled the lower bowl of the Thomas & Mack Center for the meeting between the summer squads of the New York Knicks and Los Angeles Lakers. Top executives from both teams sat in courtside seats.

In L.A. East, as former Lakers point guard and current Knicks coach Derek Fisher calls Las Vegas, there was a lot of purple and gold in the stands. There was also a lot of energy, much more than the norm for a July game played primarily by NBA wannabes.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nba/post/_/id/6211/knicks-lakers-learning-to-rebuild-the-hard-way
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:27 am    Post subject:

CabinCreek44 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with what Scott said.

I must disagree. I think everything he said was wrong. First of all, I seem to recall him joining in on the hype before summer league. Secondly, while obviously Russell is not Magic, you don't go out and crap on a rookie player's confidence like that. Why even bring up the comparison? There was no reason. You can temper expectations without even comparing him to your former teammate. You don't say he wasn't as good as you had hoped when half of that reason is that your coaching scheme did not put him in the position to succeed. How about taking some blame for that instead of heaping it on the player?
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:28 am    Post subject:

Lakers' Julius Randle frustrated by limited court time in Las Vegas

Lakers forward Julius Randle couldn't hide his disappointment with the results of his second summer league with the team.

"It's just frustrating," he said. "It's frustrating."

Answer to the next question in the media scrum?

"It's frustrating," Randle mumbled.

Five times he used the same word, summing up his young NBA career.

On opening night of the 2014-15 regular season, Randle broke his right tibia, knocking him out for the season. After surgery on his leg, he later underwent a procedure to replace a screw in his right foot, addressing an issue dating back to a high school injury.

The Lakers since have worked Randle back very slowly, holding him to five-minute stretches with a cap at 20 minutes per game.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/lakersnow/la-sp-ln-lakers-julius-randle-frustrated-20150718-story.html
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:37 am    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell, Julius Randle Face Challenge That Marquee Stars Have Spurned
by David Murphy - bleacherreport.com

D’Angelo Russell and Julius Randle spent their week at the Las Vegas Summer League trying to find their sea legs. But a much larger challenge lies ahead—these future stars will be largely responsible for restoring their team to its former glory.

Talk about pressure.

But that’s the simple reality of where the Los Angeles Lakers are in the current NBA landscape—it’s the vacation destination that still gets lip service but doesn’t attract an A-list crowd.

Headliners that were courted this summer but declined to hop aboard, include LaMarcus Aldridge, DeAndre Jordan and Greg Monroe .

Los Angeles has been caught in a catch-22 cycle in recent years, aging upward during its championship era before ultimately stripping down to one main asset. Kobe Bryant is the lone holdover from better days, and other established stars have not been quick to join him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2524743-dangelo-russell-julius-randle-face-challenge-that-marquee-stars-have-spurred
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

I must disagree. I think everything he said was wrong. First of all, I seem to recall him joining in on the hype before summer league. Secondly, while obviously Russell is not Magic, you don't go out and crap on a rookie player's confidence like that. Why even bring up the comparison? There was no reason. You can temper expectations without even comparing him to your former teammate. You don't say he wasn't as good as you had hoped when half of that reason is that your coaching scheme did not put him in the position to succeed. How about taking some blame for that instead of heaping it on the player?

Yeah Scott is an idiot.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

How many years was it for the Celtics and their last championship? All time shows is that it's very rare. I don't think it's an indication that it wont happen. As far as court vision goes this guy vision is sick. It's like the Matrix he sees things in slow motion it's his teammates that aren't seeing things. Hopefully Kobe and the other vets are able to see it coming.

iirc it had been 22 years between Celtics championships, but I never said the Lakers would never win another championship, I said there would never be another Magic/Showtime. And of course the Lakers have won 5 championships since Magic hung them up.

I like Russell's passing very much. I think he's going to be a terrific player. I'm just not going to be shocked or hysterical if it doesn't happen right away. Of course if it does I will be very pleased along with the rest of Laker Nation.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:37 am    Post subject:

I first heard the quote when on his post game interview video, and didn't think anything of it. As I recall, it was more to do with expectations being placed on the rookies to perform right away.
CabinCreek44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

So we're "blaming" Byron Scott for losing a few summer league games? Wow.

"Everything he said was wrong"?

"Sometimes when you come out here and you're the No. 1, No. 2 or No. 3 pick, you expect to come out here and tear the league up," he continued. "When guys kind of eat your lunch every now in then, it brings you back down to earth and lets you know that you still have a long way to go. In the long run, this might be the best thing that ever happened to him."

"I thought he got better tonight," Scott said. "I thought the first two or three games he was pressing, trying to prove to everybody why he should have been the No. 2 pick instead of just going out and playing."

"I still think the kid has the chance to be an unbelievable basketball player," Scott continued. "His poise out there is still second to none, of what I saw of all the guys here at summer league."
LakerBeastmode
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:03 am    Post subject:

Byron Scott did not say anything that was not the truth. For what it's worth Magic is a damn legend. D lo has only played PG for only a year and include the amount of summer league weeks and that is all of D lo has played that position. But the way the coach of the Lakers conveyed his message is his lack of confidence with his current piece and if I interpret his message that way then he is not worth coaching those who will contribute to his success, but it seems like he already made up his mind on the potential ceiling of his new talented player by comparing him with a known superstar. Why give the media the needed ammo to put the Lakers Down when his own Showtime season of a failure last year was the worst in Lakers recorded history. If he can't say anything positive he should not entertain questions that compares legends with rookies when he still represents the face of the team.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
CabinCreek44 wrote:

Just curious, how do you think "rookie" Kobe would have reacted if Scott told him he was no MJ? I highly doubt Kobe would have just shriveled up. D'Angelo strikes me as having the same level of swag Kobe came into the league with. This comment won't affect this kid negatively. If anything, he'll embrace it and use as fuel to better himself as a player, while simultaneously helping bring the Lakers back to perennial contender status. If he can't handle a comment like that, he's not ready to lead us...but I believe he is.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:

Scott is setting expectations. Russell is still adjusting to the speed of the game.

Magic played as if time slowed the heck down for him and played well above his age. Not a lot of passers were anywhere as gifted since then. (Stockton is one but nowhere the size to impose his will).

Russell might be become really good but let's not crush him by expecting Johnson type numbers and abilities on day 1.

Let's see how Scott does this year before having more cows. Remember how much Monday morning QBing people were doing with the Aldridge thing? Well, we had contingency plans. Who ever thought we were the odds on favorites to get him, well I have a bridge to sell you.

It's the summer. Scott didn't coach the games. He's just watching and using his eyes (which in general, are more trained than almost all of us) and setting expectations. So Russell has flashes of magic but let's just relax and enjoy Russell for him and not opining for the ghost of magic.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: