Rate the Lakers trainer Tim DiFrancesco
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:54 pm    Post subject: Rate the Lakers trainer Tim DiFrancesco

How does he measure up to other trainers?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Naturally none of us know. But expect a lot of assumptions.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject:

His last name reminds me of D'Antoni so it is my scientific opinion that he is not right for this team. I rate him 3/10 tomatos

X X X X X X X
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject:

Provided he has his license, he's fine.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject:

He's the best trainer in the world.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject:

From the little I've seen in very encouraged.. Guys like a Scare have gotten more athletic, Kelly had some really big dunks last season. I like what he said about Randle, getting used to the landing/twitch movements on the basketball court again - and then sitting him in the b2b and the minutes restriction.
I like that he seems to be on the cutting edge of diet. I like the training stuff that he posts on Twitter, he seems to do his research and stay ahead of the curve on that stuff.

I'm really encouraged by what I've seen
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Magic 8-Ball says "better not tell you now."
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Kobe thinks he's a bit nutty and we've had nothing but bad luck since we hired him, so somewhere in the F- range.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
Kobe thinks he's a bit nutty and we've had nothing but bad luck since we hired him, so somewhere in the F- range.

Didn't know that he was called up from the d-league, during the lockout the Lakers let a bunch of staff go and made new hires in Dec 2011. Looks like he joined the Lakers Dec 6, 2011 which coincided with the official start of that legendary Mike Brown errora a few weeks later.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject:

I think he's great!!

Works with the players from the inside out. From their diet, supplements, training, etc. He really knows his stuff.
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:

Nutty? Because he wants to retrain players how to feed their bodies....what to eat and what to avoid? It's not nutty....it is important.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Is he next in line after Vitti retires?
brian313
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
His last name reminds me of D'Antoni so it is my scientific opinion that he is not right for this team. I rate him 3/10 tomatos

X X X X X X X

Question is, are those tomatoes grass-fed?
zoom K083
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:

doesnt he make suggestions on kobe's diet? i think hes the one that introduced the whole bone broth soup to kobe
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject:

brian313 wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

X X X X X X X

Question is, are those tomatoes grass-fed?

Not possible....tomatoes don't eat.

The correct question is are they organic?
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:10 pm    Post subject:

zoom K083 wrote:
doesnt he make suggestions on kobe's diet? i think hes the one that introduced the whole bone broth soup to kobe

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-11-27/steve-nash-injury-update-los-angeles-lakers-guard-doing-on-court-drills-return-n

Quote:
The Lakers canceled an MRI that was scheduled Monday for Nash, opting to put him through a series of drills instead with strength coach Tim DiFrancesco.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10433536/steve-nash-los-angeles-lakers-expects-play-tuesday-utah-jazz

Quote:
Henry (bone bruise in his right knee) underwent agility exercises with Lakers strength and conditioning coach, Tim DiFrancesco.

Interesting that the two guys DiFrancesco worked with left the league due to nagging injuries. It could just be that the most injury riddled players are relegated to Tim, but why in the hell was Nash's MRI canceled in exchange for a workout? Did Tim suggest that?

http://www.thestar.com.my/Lifestyle/Health/2013/10/27/Eating-healthy-Lakerstyle/

And here we see that the Lakers picked up Timmy in part because his philosophy aligned with Vitti's anecdotal observations about his parent's health:

Quote:
“It reminded me of the way I was raised,” said Vitti, whose parents are in good physical health at age 92. “My parents are from Italy (and) my mother always had a soup bone in the house, and our diet was in line with Dr Cate’s philosophy.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/01/22/how-bone-broth-became-kobe-bryants-secret-stone-age-weapon/

Additionally, DiFrancesco's philosophy is very "blockbuster-y" in the sense that it looks at food as a "medicine," forgoing more modern treatments in favor of a more holistic approach:

Quote:
The Lakers have been ingesting their bone broth since the 2012-2013 season, according to DiFrancesco.

After growing up on a New England dairy farm, DiFrancesco has long been a proponent of using real, whole foods to improve athletic performance. But he became a fervent advocate of bone broth after he was introduced to Cate Shanahan’s book, “Deep Nutrition,” which argues that ancient diets are the solution to modern health problems.

I'm sure DiFrancesco is a smart guy, but I don't trust any program that forces people to conform to a certain diet/philosophy, rather than allowing a player's individual needs determine their diet/workout plan. That difference right there is why a medical staff like the Suns' is so effective.

Last edited by Don Draper on Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
legend825
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject:

the FO just needs to beef up their training dept like the Suns
kobe_luver
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
zoom K083 wrote:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-11-27/steve-nash-injury-update-los-angeles-lakers-guard-doing-on-court-drills-return-n

Quote:
The Lakers canceled an MRI that was scheduled Monday for Nash, opting to put him through a series of drills instead with strength coach Tim DiFrancesco.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10433536/steve-nash-los-angeles-lakers-expects-play-tuesday-utah-jazz

Quote:
Henry (bone bruise in his right knee) underwent agility exercises with Lakers strength and conditioning coach, Tim DiFrancesco.

Interesting that the two guys DiFrancesco worked with left the league due to nagging injuries. It could just be that the most injury riddled players are relegated to Tim, but why in the hell was Nash's MRI canceled in exchange for a workout? Did Tim suggest that?

http://www.thestar.com.my/Lifestyle/Health/2013/10/27/Eating-healthy-Lakerstyle/

And then here we see that the Lakers picked up Timmy because his philosophy aligned with Vitti's anecdotal observations about his parent's health.

Quote:
“It reminded me of the way I was raised,” said Vitti, whose parents are in good physical health at age 92. “My parents are from Italy (and) my mother always had a soup bone in the house, and our diet was in line with Dr Cate’s philosophy.”

I'm sure DiFrancesco is a smart guy, but I don't trust any program that forces people to conform to a certain diet/philosophy, rather than allowing a player's individual needs determine their diet/workout plan. That difference right there is why a medical staff like the Suns' is so effective.

He doesn't have a diet/workout plan that's the same for everyone. Each player has their own program from Tim.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject:

kobe_luver wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
zoom K083 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

And then here we see that the Lakers picked up Timmy because his philosophy aligned with Vitti's anecdotal observations about his parent's health.

Quote:

He doesn't have a diet/workout plan that's the same for everyone. Each player has their own program from Tim.

Yeah but they're all based on some over-arching philosophy. I'll let these meatheads explain:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158843063

Basically, DiFrancesco's style (based on Cate Shanahan's book) hates carbs. Athletes need carbs. A lot of them.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
kobe_luver wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
zoom K083 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah but they're all based on some over-arching philosophy. I'll let these meatheads explain:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158843063

Basically, DiFrancesco's style (based on Cate Shanahan's book) hates carbs. Athletes need carbs. A lot of them.

I don't quite get your point about the over-arching philosophy. That actually seems like a smart thing for him to do -- start with a baseline of a specific nutrition plan, then adjust based on how the individual responds to it. I'm not sure what other approach would make more sense.

Furthermore, it's highly unlikely that all the Lakers players follow his diet plan when they're off the clock, and/or it's possible that they have their own nutritionists, trainers, and personal philosophies about these topics. They're not robots.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:17 pm    Post subject:

^ My issue is with the "specific nutrition plan" that serves as the training staff's template. One of the articles linked talks about how it's basically revamped Lakers' players diets. They aren't robots but there's no doubt that they will take some of the advice given from the PhD heading one of the key areas of our training staff. It's human nature. And compound that with the fact that he designs many of the injury rehabilitation programs.

I'm just bringing up some points to add to the discussion -- not trying to say DiFrancesco is the cause of all of our issues. But after the whole analytics fiasco, it's not unheard of to think that we might be falling behind in terms of the theories guiding our training staff as well.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject:

Considering the amount of injuries we've had the last few years I don't think too highly of anyone on the training staff. There needs to be an over haul in the injury prevention aspect of the Lakers training staff.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:44 pm    Post subject:

What was his role in how Nash's injuries were managed?
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject:

He's done wonders for Metta, Clarkson and Randle. Will probably do them for Russell as well.

PhoenixForce wrote:
Considering the amount of injuries we've had the last few years I don't think too highly of anyone on the training staff. There needs to be an over haul in the injury prevention aspect of the Lakers training staff.

OR they could hire more people so that it isn't just Vitti, Seto and DeFrancesco that have to do everything. Add depth to that aspect of the staff and things may get a bit better.

Just my two cents. People blaming DiFrancesco for everything are pointing in the wrong direction.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject:

Surely anyone's better than gary vitti

but how should we know
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: