Phil throws Shumpert and Smith under the bus again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
I predict Phil won't last much longer in NY. He mos def will not finish out his contract.

Agreed. Because he'll be here.
Tbh, I hope he has nothing to do with our front office.

I feel the same way.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
I predict Phil won't last much longer in NY. He mos def will not finish out his contract.

I'll take Phil over Jim. Can't really get worse than Jim.

T-minus 1 year and 10 months, baby!
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Mitch > Phil. I don't want anything to do with Phil unless it's coaching related. Any player personnel moves should be left to Mitch & Co period.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:25 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Mitch > Phil. I don't want anything to do with Phil unless it's coaching related. Any player personnel moves should be left to Mitch & Co period.

I like Mitch too, but he's Jim's yes man. He's got his strengths, but team building isn't one of them. Maybe Jeanie keeps him around?
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

I like Mitch too, but he's Jim's yes man. He's got his strengths, but team building isn't one of them. Maybe Jeanie keeps him around?
Mitch was there long before Jim had anything to do with player personnel moves. He was assistant gm while Jerry West was running the show. Mitch is making the moves.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:52 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

29 years experience with the likes of Sharman, West, Buss, Chick, Riley and Phil resulting in 10 rings on his fingers and the respect of everyone he has worked for and competed against and you dismiss it all by calling him Jim's yes man?
Ridiculous!
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Phil came in and that same season, the Lakers became a championship with actually less talent than Del had and kept failing with. Thank you for coaching 5 championship Laker teams. But I'm not Jeannie ... stay in NY!!!
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject:

Phil a GM in the West Coast? hmm.... question would be which western contender he'd dump serviceable players into that would make said team reach the NBA Finals.... hmmm....
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:07 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

29 years experience with the likes of Sharman, West, Buss, Chick, Riley and Phil resulting in 10 rings on his fingers and the respect of everyone he has worked for and competed against and you dismiss it all by calling him Jim's yes man?
Ridiculous!

He's not Jim's yes man, which I why I hope he gets the boot when Jim does.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:35 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Ridiculous!

Neither one is getting the boot.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:08 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Ridiculous!

Neither one is getting the boot.

Mitch will retire on his own terms, then Ryan West will take over as the GM. I doubt Jim gets the boot...he may step down however. Hopefully the Lakers FO stay far and far away from Phil for as long as possible.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Ridiculous!

I'm sure Mitch has a mind of his own...but it is exceedingly clear that he is not the one making any decisions of substance. There's some appearance of open dialogue and some lip service paid to Mitch "having a vote", but it's Jim who is the "decider" (to use a certain ex-POTUS' terminology).

Where Mitch excels (and gets plenty of credit from me and many others), is making the deals happen. He's got a good grasp of the CBA and cap, and he's a respected negotiator who truly does have a "magic wand" at times. But more often than not, when the cupboard is bare, and there aren't any assets that anyone wants, even the magic wand comes up short. The key point here is that while Mitch might make the deals, he isn't the one who comes up with them or makes the final call to go through with them.

The trade for Steve Nash is an excellent example of this. It was a Jim Buss idea through and through...but Mitch made it happen.

Another good example would be several clues which have indicated that Mitch favored drafting Okafor and was overruled by Jim who thought that landing a Free Agent big was in the bag.

I also would not blame Mitch for the way that FAs have turned their back on the Lakers. That is purely a product of Jim's regime and the fruits of his hubris. He has effectively run the franchise into the ground in 4 short years.

Mitch is an employee and is just doing his job....
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Ridiculous!

I'm sure Mitch has a mind of his own...but it is exceedingly clear that he is not the one making any decisions of substance. There's some appearance of open dialogue and some lip service paid to Mitch "having a vote", but it's Jim who is the "decider" (to use a certain ex-POTUS' terminology).

Where Mitch excels (and gets plenty of credit from me and many others), is making the deals happen. He's got a good grasp of the CBA and cap, and he's a respected negotiator who truly does have a "magic wand" at times. But more often than not, when the cupboard is bare, and there aren't any assets that anyone wants, even the magic wand comes up short. The key point here is that while Mitch might make the deals, he isn't the one who comes up with them or makes the final call to go through with them.

The trade for Steve Nash is an excellent example of this. It was a Jim Buss idea through and through...but Mitch made it happen.

Another good example would be several clues which have indicated that Mitch favored drafting Okafor and was overruled by Jim who thought that landing a Free Agent big was in the bag.

I also would not blame Mitch for the way that FAs have turned their back on the Lakers. That is purely a product of Jim's regime and the fruits of his hubris. He has effectively run the franchise into the ground in 4 short years.

Perception is a wonderful thing
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:07 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:

Nah, perception is 21-61
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Ridiculous!

Posts like this is the reason why Steven A Smith still has a job, wow. You actually believe the BS you post wow

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:32 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Nah, perception is 21-61
Not really. It's called rebuilding. That's reality.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:54 am    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Nah, perception is 21-61

Right. Rebuilding while paying Kobe $24 million. Rebuilding while trying to sign Dwight, Melo (LeBron too) and LMA to max deals (and watching them all say no thanks). They even offered Pau more money to stay amd he said no.

After the worst season in the franchise' time in LA, they lucked into the #2 pick.

They aren't rebuilding by choice, they're rebuilding due to gross incompetence.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:

Posts like this is the reason why Steven A Smith still has a job, wow. You actually believe the BS you post wow

Yeah, I believe it. So far you've done nothing to convince me otherwise.

Just calling it "BS" does nothing except tell me that you have an opinion. BFD.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Phil is awesome.

Yep, Phil being Phil, also known as a dick. Meanwhile those players are playing for a title and Phil is screwing up the lottery.
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:

Be careful.
If you stick to the opinion that Jim is responsible for the decline then you will have to also credit him for the turnaround.
When it comes, and it is, no fair switching credit to Mitch.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
ocho wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

I feel the same way.

Agreed. I appreciate greatly the last great Laker generation - but they are, at this point, just that: the last great generation. It's time to move on
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

Nah, perception is 21-61

Right. Rebuilding while paying Kobe $24 million. Rebuilding while trying to sign Dwight, Melo (LeBron too) and LMA to max deals (and watching them all say no thanks). They even offered Pau more money to stay amd he said no.

After the worst season in the franchise' time in LA, they lucked into the #2 pick.

They aren't rebuilding by choice, they're rebuilding due to gross incompetence.
Every team has a rebuild period.

Perception is a wonderful thing.

Last edited by Vancouver Fan on Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Phil is awesome.

Yep, Phil being Phil, also known as (bleep). Meanwhile those players are playing for a title and Phil is screwing up the lottery.
Reality.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:

Be careful.
If you stick to the opinion that Jim is responsible for the decline then you will have to also credit him for the turnaround.

Show me the turnaround, and I will happily credit Jim.

Thus far under Jim, the change has been unidirectional decline from 2011 on. (reality)

Recognizing this, Jim promised us a trip to the WCF in about 1 year and 10 months. I am anxiously awaiting this.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject:

kray28_ wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:

Be careful.

Show me the turnaround, and I will happily credit Jim.

Thus far under Jim, the change has been unidirectional decline from 2011 on. (reality)

Recognizing this, Jim promised us a trip to the WCF in about 1 year and 10 months. I am anxiously awaiting this.

Jim actually promised contention for the Western conference, not the WCF.

And I agree the team's record has been in decline since 2011. Actually, however, the team has been in decline since around 2009. The whole reason for Howard and Nash (and CP3 before them) was the fact that the team had gotten old and stale. Howard and Nash certainly didn't help matters in the short term, but they did bottom the team out and net the a couple of really nice picks, and the team is definitely going to be moving upward now. How much and how fast remains to be seen.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: