$18 to Build your Ultimate Lakers HOF Team
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
Can people stop putting Gasol at PF at $1? If Pau were to be considered a PF in this game he would cost $4 or maybe even $5.

Eh, when a team signs a player for a particular salary, the team gets to use that player on the court however they see fit. If I wanna buy all five centers, I can afford it. We'll lose, but that's what being a GM is about.

At least I forced myself to field a team of nine players since no one can play every minute all season and in the playoffs.

Thing is you're breaking all the rules. And the game is not field a team, it's field a lineup. Plus all of the guys under $1 are jokes, they're not supposed to be taken seriously. If you want to field an All-Time Lakers team with Dwight, you should be ashamed of yourself. So disrespectful to all the other great centers we have had.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject:

$1,000,000,000,000 Chick Hearn

Done.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject:

Dladi Vidac wrote:
$1,000,000,000,000 Chick Hearn

Done.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:45 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
joeblow wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
Can people stop putting Gasol at PF at $1? If Pau were to be considered a PF in this game he would cost $4 or maybe even $5.

Eh, when a team signs a player for a particular salary, the team gets to use that player on the court however they see fit. If I wanna buy all five centers, I can afford it. We'll lose, but that's what being a GM is about.

At least I forced myself to field a team of nine players since no one can play every minute all season and in the playoffs.

Thing is you're breaking all the rules. And the game is not field a team, it's field a lineup. Plus all of the guys under $1 are jokes, they're not supposed to be taken seriously. If you want to field an All-Time Lakers team with Dwight, you should be ashamed of yourself. So disrespectful to all the other great centers we have had.

Breaking whose rules? Yours? I don't care about that. I re-read the link's rules and it says nothing about not using a player any way I like. But if you want to be semantical about it, here is my revision:

joeblow wrote:
Coach: PJax - $5... he has the winning system

PB: Fisher - $3... proven low tier player in the coach's system
SG: Kobe - $5... proven top tier player in the coach's system
SF: Fox - $3... proven mid tier player in the coach's system
PF: D12 - $.25... best bang-for-the-buck "PF" available
C: Gasol - $1... proven upper tier player in the coach's system

Total: $17.25

Bench: Morrison, Kwame, T.Knight and Smush

Grand Total: $17.41

This is as much of a sure-fire Finals team as any (given the restrictions) while still being under the cap.

There. Since D12 is not categorized, he is my PF (Duncan-style) with Gasol as the listed Center. PJax will sort out who plays where on the court.

Now onto the deeper purpose of my line-up. Some people have their coach as a throw-away slot. I don't I am trying to make sure my players can perform well in the system my team focuses on with PJax - the triangle.

Because of that, I cannot take Norm Nixon solely because he is better than Fisher. Maybe he can play in the triangle as a Ron Harper+ player because of his defense, but maybe he can't. I know Fisher can do so, albiet as a worse defender. It's the one slot I waffled over given the resources.

Pretty much my entire team can play and win with the triangle, so I'm comfortable going against any of the rival teams I see listed here with no PJax as coach. All my players know their role. D12 is the only one that has to be brought up to speed, and again, if he is as solid of a defender as a gimped Bynum was for us, we'll be fine.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
joeblow wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:

Thank you. Pretty darn annoying. Though, if they want to field a team with Dwight, that would be playing by the rules, so it's ok.

But if you're not going to play by the rules, why not just make up your own pricing and players?

Magic/MJ/Kobe/Duncan/Wilt coached by both Pop and Phil Jackson. For $0. I'll donate the $18 I was given to charity or something. Yay!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: $18 to Build your Ultimate Lakers HOF Team

MJST wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
MJST wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:
http://twitter.com/LakersNation/status/623582992129110016/photo/1

Challenge you only have $18 in cap to build your Lakers team.

Norm Nixon $1 (1)
Kobe Bryant $5 (6)
Elgin Baylor $5 (11)
Pau Gasol $1 (12)
Wilt Chamberlain $3 (15)

Coach: John Kundla $3 (18)

or

Norm Nixon $1 (1)
Kobe Bryant $5 (6)
Elgin Baylor $5 (11)
Pau Gasol $1 (12)
Wilt Chamberlain $3 (15)

Coach: Bill Sharman $2 (17)
6th Man: Lamar Odom $1 (18)
8th Man: Smush Parker FREE (18)

Game over ^_^

Dude, that team can't beat this team, come on now.

Magic Johnson $5 (1)
Kobe Bryant $5 (10)
Lebron James $0 (10)
Pau Gasol $1 (11)
Shaq $4 (15)

Coach: Phil Jackson $5 (20)

My team'll beat yours by 25 every night!

leBron James isn't an option

No team put together is beating

Norm Nixon $1 (1)
Kobe Bryant $5 (6)
Elgin Baylor $5 (11)
Pau Gasol $1 (12)
Wilt Chamberlain $3 (15)

Coach: Bill Sharman $2 (17)
6th Man: Lamar Odom $1 (18)
8th Man: Smush Parker FREE (18)

Just not gonna happen lol. You have Baylor, Kobe and Chamberlain, the defensive Nixon and Chamberlain and two post threats.

Yeah... it's game over

But some have said Pau doesn't count at 4 cause he's a center in this game instead of a power forward. But 6th men aren't excluded..

Okay then Then

Nixon (1) 1
Kobe (5) 6
Baylor (5) 11
Odom (1) 12
Shaq (4) 16

Coach: Bill Sharman (2) 18

Kobe, Baylor, Shaq., with Nixon as point guard. Game over.

Dunno why Nixon is so low on the list given he was a solid defender and a 17/10 guy even when sharing the floor with Magic.

OR.. if I wanted to take advantage of the 6th man being allowed. I'd do this.

Nixon (1) 1
Kobe (5) 6
Baylor (5) 11
Odom (1) 12
Wilt (3) 15

Coach: Sharman (2) 17
6th man: Pau Gasol (1) 18

So now I can run lineups with Pau when Odom is on the bench.

So basically I can get my
Norm Nixon
Kobe Bryant
Elgin Baylor
Pau Gasol
Wilt Chamberlain

lineup going whenever I want or whenever I'm resting Odom. Or rather essentially the same team as the one above with the one change that Odom just starts till Pau comes in so that it isn't breaking the game but achieving the same result ^_^

This is fun ^_^

Pau Gasol at PF for $1 is not an option. Why do you get to make up your own options and I don't?

If I add in Lebron for $0 at SF, my by-my-rules team certainly beats your by-your-rules team.

Magic Johnson $5 (1)
Kobe Bryant $5 (10)
Lebron James $0 (10)
Pau Gasol $1 (11)
Shaq $4 (15)
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject:

ringfinger, some people just can't follow the rules. Article clearly states, lineup and coach. One PG, one SG, one SF, one PF, and one C with a coach. No 6th man, 7th man, 8th man and whatever Smush is.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:04 am    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
ringfinger, some people just can't follow the rules. Article clearly states, lineup and coach. One PG, one SG, one SF, one PF, and one C with a coach. No 6th man, 7th man, 8th man and whatever Smush is.

Yah, I don't get it. What would be the point of doing this exercise, if you can just do whatever you feel like doing? Isn't the point to compare teams, constructed under the same restrictions?

I've even seen people spend more than $18. The heck is going on around here?
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject:

My revised lineup above follows the unwritten rule you guys are complaining about. Same results.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
My revised lineup above follows the unwritten rule you guys are complaining about. Same results.

Sure and that's fine, but no need to add the bench players in your analysis or the fact that it's a 82 game season and you have more players. That's just not the challenge. If the challenge were assemble the best team to play a season then everyone should start picking up the $1 and $2 guys for depth. You're playing a different game.

Also your team would get crushed by a Magic-Kobe backcourt. Fisher would get exposed on every single play. Add in Wilt in the middle and you're done.
frenchbullcho
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:

Yah, I don't get it. What would be the point of doing this exercise, if you can just do whatever you feel like doing? Isn't the point to compare teams, constructed under the same restrictions?

Don't be a hypocrite.

ringfinger wrote:
This thing is dumb. You can't even build an actual Lakers squad with $18.

Derek Fisher ($3)
Kobe Bryant ($5)
Rick Fox ($3)
Robert Horry ($2)
Shaq ($4)
Coach Phil ($5)

Total: $22
EldenCampbell
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:31 am    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Magic $5
Kobe $5
Rice $2
Odom $1
Wilt $3
Sharman $2

Rice, Odom, Wilt and Sharman are all great values.

Yes, this one.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject:

EldenCampbell wrote:
JerryMagicKobe wrote:
Magic $5
Kobe $5
Rice $2
Odom $1
Wilt $3
Sharman $2

Rice, Odom, Wilt and Sharman are all great values.

Yes, this one.

Exactly my team.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject:

frenchbullcho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:

Don't be a hypocrite.

ringfinger wrote:

Derek Fisher ($3)
Kobe Bryant ($5)
Rick Fox ($3)
Robert Horry ($2)
Shaq ($4)
Coach Phil ($5)

I was doing that as an example of the absurdity. Context is your friend!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:58 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
I re-read the link's rules and it says nothing about not using a player any way I like. .

Dude, there is also no rule that says you can't add other former Lakers at whatever salary you want, say:

Karl Malone is my power forward for 1 cent playing at a level of his best Utah Jazz days.

Nothing in the rules says I can't do that.

(And you might say, "Hey Karl can only play at the level he did with the Lakers": and I'd say "Then Dwight can only play the position he played with the Lakers - which wasn't PF.")

But we all know the spirit of the game. I know you're trying to be clever and game the system, which we could all do easily enough if we wanted to.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject:

I'll take another stab at it this time adhering to the rules.

PG Magic Johnson - $5
SG Kobe Bryant - $5
SF Glen Rice - $2
PF Lamar Odom - $1
C Wilt Chamberlain - $3

Coach: Bill Sharman - $2

There, assuming that all of these guys are at their peaks as Lakers, they'd easily destroy any team ever.
frenchbullcho
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
frenchbullcho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:

Don't be a hypocrite.

ringfinger wrote:

Derek Fisher ($3)
Kobe Bryant ($5)
Rick Fox ($3)
Robert Horry ($2)
Shaq ($4)
Coach Phil ($5)

this was your first lineup you posted. All the other lineups you posted were examples. If you are going to call out people for not following the rules, you should at least follow it. Jeez.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:54 pm    Post subject:

frenchbullcho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
frenchbullcho wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:

Don't be a hypocrite.

ringfinger wrote:

Derek Fisher ($3)
Kobe Bryant ($5)
Rick Fox ($3)
Robert Horry ($2)
Shaq ($4)
Coach Phil ($5)

this was your first lineup you posted. All the other lineups you posted were examples. If you are going to call out people for not following the rules, you should at least follow it. Jeez.

Did you read my post? I said for $18, you cannot build an actual Laker lineup, let alone an all-star one.

I then built an actual Lakers squad, showing it exceeds $18.

Does context actually escape you that easily? Cmon, this is 101 type stuff.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:20 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
I'll take another stab at it this time adhering to the rules.

PG Magic Johnson - $5
SG Kobe Bryant - $5
SF Glen Rice - $2
PF Lamar Odom - $1
C Wilt Chamberlain - $3

Coach: Bill Sharman - $2

There, assuming that all of these guys are at their peaks as Lakers, they'd easily destroy any team ever.

Either this one or switch magic and wilt to west and Shaq
West should give us a better shooter
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
joeblow wrote:

Sure and that's fine, but no need to add the bench players in your analysis or the fact that it's a 82 game season and you have more players. That's just not the challenge. If the challenge were assemble the best team to play a season then everyone should start picking up the $1 and $2 guys for depth. You're playing a different game.

Also your team would get crushed by a Magic-Kobe backcourt. Fisher would get exposed on every single play. Add in Wilt in the middle and you're done.

Yes, we would get crushed because your five guys won't get tired as my nine guys rotate in and out.

Look, if you are going to play the "my team will beat your team" game, then you cannot ignore the fact that your five guys will fatigue in every game of a given series with no opportunity to rest. If you choose to ignore basic science, then there is no point in saying whose team would outplay the other.

Like it or not, I have nine guys for the "my team will beat your team" game, a proven system in the triangle and a superior coach to execute it with players that have proven they can win within that particular system. We'll be fine.
dmorans1
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
joeblow wrote:

Yes, we would get crushed because your five guys won't get tired as my nine guys rotate in and out.

Look, if you are going to play the "my team will beat your team" game, then you cannot ignore the fact that your five guys will fatigue in every game of a given series with no opportunity to rest. If you choose to ignore basic science, then there is no point in saying whose team would outplay the other.

Like it or not, I have nine guys for the "my team will beat your team" game, a proven system in the triangle and a superior coach to execute it with players that have proven they can win within that particular system. We'll be fine.

Again this challenge is about a lineup not a team. Do you even know the difference? This is just ridiculous know. Get your head out of your ass for God's sake.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

Derek Fisher ($3)
Kobe Bryant ($5)
Rick Fox ($3)
Robert Horry ($2)
Shaq ($4)
Coach Phil ($5)

Actual Laker squad:

Shaq … $5
Horry… $2
Ceballos …$1
Van Exel… $2
Kobe… $5
Harris … $1

With two bucks to spare for a cup of coffee at Starbucks
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
joeblow wrote:

The game is about which 5 starters and coach are the best.

That's the cutoff. Nothing else matters.

You could certainly make up a game where you include subs, but that's not the game we're playing here.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject:

dmorans1 wrote:
joeblow wrote:
dmorans1 wrote:
joeblow wrote:

Again this challenge is about a lineup not a team. Do you even know the difference? This is just ridiculous know. Get your head out of your ass for God's sake.

Why not just construct your own team of 11 better guys? Then, let's add the stipulation to YOUR team only that they have taken a legal pill that eliminates fatigue entirely and ensures no shots are ever missed. Boom, you win. At least until he comes up with another ridiculous deviation from the rules that completely defeats the purpose of the exercise.

Magic
MJ
Lebron
Duncan
Wilt

Bench
Nash
Kobe
Bird
Malone
Shaq (or Hakeem)
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

Derek Fisher ($3)
Kobe Bryant ($5)
Rick Fox ($3)
Robert Horry ($2)
Shaq ($4)
Coach Phil ($5)

Actual Laker squad:

Shaq … $5
Horry… $2
Ceballos …$1
Van Exel… $2
Kobe… $5
Harris … $1

With two bucks to spare for a cup of coffee at Starbucks

Ohh nice. =). If we assume Laker primes, which I think we do, that's a nice team.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7
Jump to: