Why wouldn't a combo of Kobe & P. Pierce work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject:

^^^^
And I say Odom's rebounding numbers aren't that important. Not only are his numbers inflated because he plays significant amount of time at PF, but he has to compete with Mihm and Kwame in the frontcourt. Do a comparison Pierce averages exactly 2 less rebounds than Odom. Last time I checked you need to score to win.
dirka dirka
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Sidious wrote:
Pierce is the better player but the Lakers can't make that trade. Take away Odom and the Lakers would get murdered on the inside on rebounding.

you mean like last night??? With odom gone and pierce in the fold we'd only have to make up about 1.5 rebounds per game...if you havent noticed pierce averages 7.4 rebounds per game.

I tend to think the extra scoring is worth 1.5 rebounds, besides we have Turiaf in the wings.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Sidious wrote:
Pierce is the better player but the Lakers can't make that trade. Take away Odom and the Lakers would get murdered on the inside on rebounding.

Pierce 7.4 rebounds per game.
Odom 9.4 rebounds per game.

Yeah, we'd get killed with 2 less boards. Next.

Beat me to it DD.

Last edited by RG73 on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:

hell forget pierce go after AI. i knwo not enough basketballs but they both seem to have alot of respect for each other.
hisairness#8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject:

I think pierce is a better fit for this team then odom. I've been backing up odom but his play of late has been just downright sucky. At least Pierce is a consistant scorer and he is not as crazy as artest but also not as soft as odom. If he was to come to LA phil would make it work and pierce is a better pippen then odom.
C. Chris Mihm
PF.Kwame Brown
SF.Paul Pierce
SG.Kobe Bryant
Pg. Smush Parker
DO IT MITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Krispy Kreme
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject:

i think it would work. Pierce IMO could be just as good as a "initiator" as Lamar, and offensively there is no contest. also Pierce is clutch as hell. Question is, would he welcome being the #2 option?
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:

As for the not enough balls to go around, one could say that is the case with all the sackless players we have now.

As for shot attempts, Pierce only averages 17 or so FGAs per game. Odom is at 12. Assuming total team FGAs remain constant, Kobe could decrease his FGAs to around 22 per game, Pierce could then get about 17 per game. That seems reasonable given that Kobe takes a number of forced shots per game, and with Pierce he'd actually be able to kick it out of double teams to someone who could make the shot. Kobe's FG% would likely increase from less forced shots, so the dip in scoring would be minimal. Probably from 36 down to 30-32. Pierce is good for 24-26 off 16-18 shots per game. If Pierce wanted more shots, fine, take them away from Kwame or Smush. They can both score 30+. Works for me.
lakerMark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Kobe and Pierce or any 19 point a game player beats this Kobe and Odom thing because most of the time it is Kobe and Kobe, who knows where this Odom character is at 90 percent of the time.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject:

re4ee wrote:
Simple answer, the NBA only allows ONE basketball on the court at a time!

You'll get no further arguments from me.
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Showtime_Returns wrote:
^^^^
And I say Odom's rebounding numbers aren't that important. Not only are his numbers inflated because he plays significant amount of time at PF, but he has to compete with Mihm and Kwame in the frontcourt. Do a comparison Pierce averages exactly 2 less rebounds than Odom. Last time I checked you need to score to win.

It's not about plugging in numbers. Odom provides versatility and front court depth. Mihm and Kwame are always in foul trouble. It doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but depth is important. Basketball is a game of match ups, not just plugging in points per game. I'm as unsatisfied as anybody with what Odom is doing, but he's still valuable to the team. With Pierce this team would score more consistently, but they would be way too thin up front.
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject:

Pierce would work great in LA. He can create his own shots, gets HOT like Kobe, is a CONSISTENT shooter, a pretty good defender too. Most importantly is he is #1 or even better #2 scorer that the Lakers need. If Odom leaves that just means Kwame & Mihm & Cook & Bynum have to pick up the rebounding slack. No biggie.
Pierce to LA (actually any good #2 player that the Lakers need now!!)
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Well this exact trade worked for me bigtime on NBA Live, so i'll say yes.
KB8LJ23
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject:

I would like this trade to go down. Pierce and Kobe is better than Odom and Kobe. Both work hard and have that kill mentality. Odom is just too passive. And, when he does want it at crunch time he makes the stupidest mistakes. (SEE Sac game) Kobe and Pierce better than Odom and Kobe. Cause what is this team besides Kobe? This team needs a real second option and I will hope that us as Lakers fans. Start telling mitch that we want a trade. I don't care what we give up. Odom and a 1st rounder or so. Just get us a real second option. Not to mention that I like Pierce. Only thing is that he has a big ego. But, we've been known to check big egos before.
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Kobe and Pierce would only work if there was a great facilitator to go with them. Both of those guys play best when someone else can feed them the ball, and you know Kobe's not going to want to go back to being the distributor, especially for Pierce. IMO the Lakers have a greater need for role players who can be good outside shooters, good defenders, good ball handlers and passers, and above all, very smart players. With Kobe playing as good as he is, if the Lakers can just get guys to fill up the rest of the stat sheet with their part and play great cohesive defense, that'll be enough to put them near the top of the league.

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Have there ever been any rumours of Pierce coming to LA or any interest from the management in him?
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject:

So which is easier - Replace Odom with Pierce and Smush with an initiator with D, or replace Smush or Brown with a 17 point per game scoring threat that D's up?

Sounds about even to me.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Sidious wrote:

It's not about plugging in numbers.

The number plugging began because people argue there will be a huge drop off in rebounding and/or that there are not enough shots to distribute. The number plugging is simply an exercize to show that it is possible to get an appropriate number of shots for each player and that the rebounding drop of is not substantial.

Quote:
Odom provides versatility

Explain. What versatility?

Quote:
and front court depth.

Again, explain. He is a SF. He plays some PF, but cannot guard the 4 generally. When Turiaf is cleared we will have 3 PFs. I guess 4 wouldn't hurt. But we're talking about swapping a 3 for a 3.

Quote:
Mihm and Kwame are always in foul trouble.

Well I guess Phil will have to play Bynum more.

Quote:
It doesn't show up on the stat sheet, but depth is important.

Many of us agree. Which is exactly why we want the team to make moves to give us depth. Presently we have 1 player and 12 odd bodies.
No depth there. You need players to have depth.

Quote:
Basketball is a game of match ups, not just plugging in points per game.

Who's denying that?

Quote:
I'm as unsatisfied as anybody with what Odom is doing, but he's still valuable to the team.

For what exactly?

Quote:
With Pierce this team would score more consistently, but they would be way too thin up front.

Again, I don't get where they'll be thin. SF for SF swap.

Beyond that, why do people always think in terms of one move? It isn't about one move to solve every problem. That can't be done.

Pierce solves one problem, then you move on to the next problem. Next year there are a lot of unrestricted free agents, no teams with a max slot, or even any substantial cap at all. That means if you actually spend the full MLE you can get a good player. And probably a good vet by using the LLE. You know, like normal teams.

It is an oft-used defense of Lamar that there is no move that will put us into contention this season. Of course not. But there are moves that help correct fundamental issues. Lamar is unlikely to fetch an impact big because he is not an impact big. He can, however, fetch an impact 3 (so apparently his worth is in the neighborhood of Artest and Peja). So you move him for a 3 who is a better fit with Kobe. Then you solve the next problem. I don't see why that is a seemingly difficult concept.
lakeshow03
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject:

ive always disliked pierce for some reason,but right now it would be a upgrade for this team but i dont think theres any chance it happens cnosidering how emplay says how pleased they are with odom
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Walter Sobchak wrote:
Kobe and Pierce would only work if there was a great facilitator to go with them. Both of those guys play best when someone else can feed them the ball, and you know Kobe's not going to want to go back to being the distributor, especially for Pierce. IMO the Lakers have a greater need for role players who can be good outside shooters, good defenders, good ball handlers and passers, and above all, very smart players. With Kobe playing as good as he is, if the Lakers can just get guys to fill up the rest of the stat sheet with their part and play great cohesive defense, that'll be enough to put them near the top of the league.

I'd much rather prefer having the facilitator be the 1. Plus it's not like Kobe and Pierce couldn't setup each other. How many times have we seen Kobe kick it out to Odom for a brick? Exactly. Pierce, unlike Odom, is also very good at getting to the line. I honestly think the only way this team ever becomes great again is when we get another selfish, cocky, scorer.
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject:

Odom plays a lot of power forward whenever Mihm or Kwame have to go out, which is quite frequent. Pierce can't do that. I don't see what's so hard to understand about it. But regardless, it's pointless to argue about a trade that's not going to happen.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject:

I think they could play a mean two man game. Especially if Kobe has the ball. You double him it goes straight to someone he actually trusts and is worthy of so. Pierce would prosper as Stay Puff once did.
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Celtics won't do it. We'd have to throw in some draft picks as well, but I'd do it in a heartbeat. We need talent.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject:

I'd make the trade for Pierce and next year go after Antoine Jamison. We would have 2 legit 20-25 ppg guys and 1 30-35 ppg guy, in Kobe. With that scoring we could hang with any team. Jamison and Pierce are solid rebounders.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject:

anyone who pretends to know that Pierce and Kobe wouldn't work together is full of it. You have no idea whether they would work well together. what's your evidence? that they're both shooters? they both have huge egos? that's it? that's your argument? i don't know which argument is weaker and both are based on rudimentary speculation. Kobe has an ego for sure, but when has Pierce ever gone on a huge ego trip? He's been stuck on a crappy Boston team with almost a new coach every year and an-ever changing roster. The guy doesn't complain and puts up huge numbers. Why can't Pierce be a pippen type player? I don't mean a guy who does everything Pippen does, I just mean an excellent #2 scorer that could be a #1 somewhere else, but would work as a #2 under the right alpha dog. Pierce isn't quite the rebounder Odom is, but he's WAY WAY WAY more of a scoring threat. Enough with the "we need Odom's rebounding" arguments. The development of Turiaf and Bynum will supplant Odom's rebounding production. We need someone who can shoot the friggin' ball.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject:

I'd give them Odom, George, and a future #1, maybe even 2 #1's (they will be late-rounders anyway)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: