Sandra Bland, pulled over for failure to signal, yanked and arrested for contempt of cop, died in jail (suicide).
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I'm not talking about complaining about it. I'm talking about telling other people they can't possibly get it because their ancestors didn't go through it.

That isn't right.

Your ancestors weren't obliterated via genocide by multiple atomic bombs but I would doubt you'd agree with the idea that your opinion regarding foreign policy means less than mine as a result. Would you?

When did Blacks attack America?

Huh? When did all people of a specific race ever attack America? Never.

In either case, it's irrelevant. Do you agree that your opinion on foreign policy, regardless of how extensive, is inferior to mine because my ancestors were blown to bits via nuclear weaponry? Cuz I mean, you couldn't understand and stuff. That's not a fair thing to say, is it?

It's really unfortunate that you don't see how what you spew is exacerbating the racial divide, not bridging it.

Japan? WWII? Pearl Harbor? 1941/2015 a singular event in the history of the world?

Vs S 240 plus years as slaves and another 100 years as less than second class citizens..not allowed education and plenty more issues

Is that what you're comparing here and trying to say Japan was bombed because of their race?

What I'm saying is clear. Do you find it complicated or difficult?

If you're trying to say that your opinion on this issue carries more weight because of the very unfortunate thing that happened to your great grandfather's brother's dad's grandpa, then, my opinion on foreign policy, however little, carries more weight than yours because of the very unfortunate thing that happened to my great grandfather's brother's dad's grandma.

Do you think that is a reasonable thing to say? I don't.

Also, my grandfather's sister never, at any time, attacked the U.S. so why you're saying she deserved to die is unfathomable.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:
"You're not black, you wouldn't understand."

This is a racist statement, jodeke.

OK. It's what I believe. I don't that makes me a racist. I think it makes me a person with an opinion.

This is verbatim as to how most racists defend their own racism.

I also took care not to call you a racist, as the term is wielded much too sloppily and can be very harmful and fwiw I don't think you are one. But your statement is, nonetheless, racist.

Let's turn it around.

"You're black, you wouldn't understand."

Your reaction would be __________?

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
There's no policy that specifically states what a person can and cannot say. There are guidelines, but not specific words that all police officers must say. So there is some room for interpretation there.

How come it's always "you don't understand" when it's someone who isn't black but everyone else is the same?

Man -- that is messed up man. I may not be black, but I am a person of color and I am offended at such an assertion. Yikes.

What in the (bleep) are you talking about?

Blacks are treated extremely different by the police. If you want to deny that then go right ahead but you will be wrong.

Is your race treated differently by the police than WHITE PEOPLE are?

How long were your ancestors used as personal slaves for WHITE Americans..assaulted by US Presidents... Bought and sold like livestock...hung from trees..had crimes blamed on them because the cops and courts will just hang a Negro and the case will be closed...

Let's hear about what whitey did to your race in America? Go ahead..tell us..don't just troll your boat.

I'm a total mutt, but I'm part Japanese and I have ancestors who spent their entire childhood in internment camps. How many victim points is that worth? Do I get to hoot and holler about how you don't understand because you didn't experience this horrific event? (Let's just ignore that I didn't either, but I get to claim it by association, right?)

Also, do I get to sum the total victim points incurred by all of my various ancestors or, how do I allocate those points? For instance, if I was only 1/4 black, do I only get 25% of the share of victim points or do I get the full allocation and right to say people don't understand what "my people" went through as well?

Bottom line is, the kind of talk that you (and some others) spew widens the unfortunate gaps that exists on racial lines. Is your goal to reduce or eliminate those racial divides? If so, how exactly does asking what "whitey" did to my race do anything in the way of accomplishing that? How does suggesting to someone who was just giving an opinion, that their race invalidates their opinion help close the gap?

Do you like it, or dislike it, when people to do things to exacerbate the racial issues we have today? I don't like, but that's just me.

Well, as you can imagine. I think you're wrong on just about every point made in this post but I can't quite go into things in depth right now. I'll just say to the bolded that the answer is individualized. How much in damages ARE you allowed? What IS the impact on your life? What was taken from your ancestors that might have been passed to you? How integrated ARE you in the larger economic society? How much does your ancestry affect you on a daily basis? etc.....If you're born to the wealth that was built on the back of people held as human chattel or if your ancestors labor was used to build wealth for another group of people and you have no inheritance, then it makes a difference. And that's just one of about a hundred variables that contribute to the FACT that the past affects the present and the future.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:

OK. It's what I believe. I don't that makes me a racist. I think it makes me a person with an opinion.

I'm not defending anything. It's the way I feel.

If you think that makes me a racist, so be it. It won't change my way of thinking and I don't think it makes me a racist.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
There's no policy that specifically states what a person can and cannot say. There are guidelines, but not specific words that all police officers must say. So there is some room for interpretation there.

How come it's always "you don't understand" when it's someone who isn't black but everyone else is the same?

Man -- that is messed up man. I may not be black, but I am a person of color and I am offended at such an assertion. Yikes.

What in the (bleep) are you talking about?

Blacks are treated extremely different by the police. If you want to deny that then go right ahead but you will be wrong.

Is your race treated differently by the police than WHITE PEOPLE are?

How long were your ancestors used as personal slaves for WHITE Americans..assaulted by US Presidents... Bought and sold like livestock...hung from trees..had crimes blamed on them because the cops and courts will just hang a Negro and the case will be closed...

Let's hear about what whitey did to your race in America? Go ahead..tell us..don't just troll your boat.

I'm a total mutt, but I'm part Japanese and I have ancestors who spent their entire childhood in internment camps. How many victim points is that worth? Do I get to hoot and holler about how you don't understand because you didn't experience this horrific event? (Let's just ignore that I didn't either, but I get to claim it by association, right?)

Also, do I get to sum the total victim points incurred by all of my various ancestors or, how do I allocate those points? For instance, if I was only 1/4 black, do I only get 25% of the share of victim points or do I get the full allocation and right to say people don't understand what "my people" went through as well?

Bottom line is, the kind of talk that you (and some others) spew widens the unfortunate gaps that exists on racial lines. Is your goal to reduce or eliminate those racial divides? If so, how exactly does asking what "whitey" did to my race do anything in the way of accomplishing that? How does suggesting to someone who was just giving an opinion, that their race invalidates their opinion help close the gap?

Do you like it, or dislike it, when people to do things to exacerbate the racial issues we have today? I don't like, but that's just me.

Well, as you can imagine. I think you're wrong on just about every point made in this post but I can't quite go into things in depth right now. I'll just say to the bolded that the answer is individualized. How much in damages ARE you allowed? What IS the impact on your life? What was taken from your ancestors that might have been passed to you? How integrated ARE you in the larger economic society? How much does your ancestry affect you on a daily basis? etc.....If you're born to the wealth that was built on the back of people held as human chattel or if your ancestors labor was used to build wealth for another group of people and you have no inheritance, then it makes a difference. And that's just one of about a hundred variables that contribute to the FACT that the past affects the present and the future.

Would you accept the answers I give you at face value?

Do you think it is appropriate to use terms such as "whitey"? Just curious. I don't.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
I'm not talking about complaining about it. I'm talking about telling other people they can't possibly get it because their ancestors didn't go through it.

That isn't right.

Your ancestors weren't obliterated via genocide by multiple atomic bombs but I would doubt you'd agree with the idea that your opinion regarding foreign policy means less than mine as a result. Would you?

In either case, it's irrelevant. Do you agree that your opinion on foreign policy, regardless of how extensive, is inferior to mine because my ancestors were blown to bits via nuclear weaponry? Cuz I mean, you couldn't understand and stuff. That's not a fair thing to say, is it?

It's really unfortunate that you don't see how what you spew is exacerbating the racial divide, not bridging it.

Japan sneak attacked America. I'm not one who thinks the use of nuclear weaponry was the human thing to do. Some are of the school it saved lives.

Which school are you in?

My grandfather's sister never attacked, nor sneak attacked America.

How did eliminating her with an atomic bomb save lives exactly?

Man, you see one side and that's it. It is NOT helping our issues in this country!
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:43 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:
jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:

If you think that makes me a racist, so be it. It won't change my way of thinking and I don't think it makes me a racist.

Dude. That's what the Donald Sterling's of the world say when accused of being racist.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

That isn't right.

Japan? WWII? Pearl Harbor? 1941/2015 a singular event in the history of the world?

Vs S 240 plus years as slaves and another 100 years as less than second class citizens..not allowed education and plenty more issues

Is that what you're comparing here and trying to say Japan was bombed because of their race?

What I'm saying is clear. Do you find it complicated or difficult?

If you're trying to say that your opinion on this issue carries more weight because of the very unfortunate thing that happened to your great grandfather's brother's dad's grandpa, then, my opinion on foreign policy, however little, carries more weight than yours because of the very unfortunate thing that happened to my great grandfather's brother's dad's grandma.

Do you think that is a reasonable thing to say? I don't.

Also, my grandfather's sister never, at any time, attacked the U.S. so why you're saying she deserved to die is unfathomable.

your opinion will carry more weight in regards to the suffering of the Japanese people who were affected and may still be affected by the events of ww2.

an African Americans opinion will carry more weight in regards to the suffering of the arican American people who were affected and may still be affected by slavery and racist policies and attitudes that still poison America and the world.

Can you dig it?
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject:

^i think you undersell the human capacity to empathize
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject:

How did this thread degenerate into a comparison of slavery to the internment of Japanese-Americans and whether Japanese-Americans are responsible for Pearl Harbor?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
ringfinger wrote:

That isn't right.

Japan sneak attacked America. I'm not one who thinks the use of nuclear weaponry was the human thing to do. Some are of the school it saved lives.

Which school are you in?

My grandfather's sister never attacked, nor sneak attacked America.

How did eliminating her with an atomic bomb save lives exactly?

Man, you see one side and that's it. It is NOT helping our issues in this country!

Why are you ignoring points that don't match your agenda.
Quote:
I'm not one who thinks the use of nuclear weaponry was the human thing to do
Do you understand that? If so why are you ignoring it?

Truman made that determination, not me.

You keep talking about a war, I'm talking about Sandra Bland.

I made the statement ENOUGH IS ENOUGH meaning how Black people feel the way they are treated by LEO. My saying you wouldn't understand how we feel because you're not Black, in my mind, has merit.

It's not about Pearl Harbor, Nagasaki, Heroshima, it's about Sandra Bland.

Talk about only seeing one side, you definitely fit that bill.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject:

[quote="Aeneas Hunter"]How did this thread degenerate into a comparison of slavery to the internment of Japanese-Americans and whether Japanese-Americans are responsible for Pearl Harbor?[/quote

Jod and RF engaging in another "talk past each other" contest. The sexual tension is quite....thick.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject:

your opinion will carry more weight in regards to the suffering of the Japanese people who were affected and may still be affected by the events of ww2.

an African Americans opinion will carry more weight in regards to the suffering of the arican American people who were affected and may still be affected by slavery and racist policies and attitudes that still poison America and the world.

Can you dig it?

Trey, you delightful wino, you've just pitched the cornerstone of any real racist's dogma: that one person's opinions are worth less or more than anothers, qualified by no other measure than the skin color either person was given at birth.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject:

[quote="Cutheon"]
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
How did this thread degenerate into a comparison of slavery to the internment of Japanese-Americans and whether Japanese-Americans are responsible for Pearl Harbor?[/quote

Jod and RF engaging in another "talk past each other" contest. The sexual tension is quite....thick.

Not so. I wrote:
Quote:
You keep talking about a war, I'm talking about Sandra Bland.
Quote:
It's not about Pearl Harbor, Nagasaki, Heroshima, it's about Sandra Bland.

That's being ignored. I admit to being guilty of feeding the digression.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:05 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

Can you dig it?

Trey, you delightful wino, you've just pitched the cornerstone of any real racist's dogma: that one person's opinions are worth less or more than anothers, qualified by no other measure than the skin color either person was given at birth.

how so?

if you have true connection to first hand effects of any incident why wouldn't you understand it more deeply than someone who doesn't?

if your family was affected by Japanese atrocities during ww2 wouldn't you have a better understanding than a person who only read literature about it?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:
jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:

Dude. That's what the Donald Sterling's of the world say when accused of being racist.

OK

Comparing "You're not Black, you wouldn't understand" to the context of how Blacks are treated by LEO to statements made by Sterling are so far a reach I don't have the wherewithal to bridge the gap.

If you want to think I'm a racist have at it. Doesn't change my my mind. I'm not a racist so defending it isn't something I'm going to engage in. I won't say I don't care what you think, that would be disingenuous.

I don't think I'll be able to make you believe I'm not a racist so I'll just tell you I'm not and leave it there. You can believe, feel, whatever you choose.

But again we digress. I'm not going to further debate with you unless it's realating to Sandra Bland and Brian Encinia.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:11 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

CMB, You're a very thoughtful and intelligent man whom I have much appreciation for but this time I think you're reaching and trying to be too PC and missing the truth.

I really couldn't ever comprehend
what it is like to have someone murder one of the most peaceful and loving men in history just because of his SKIN COLOR

Ever could I comprehend what it's like to have a person that looks like me drug behind a pickup truck because he was black too

never could I have pure empathy and understanding for random hangings of black people ..oh yes tarring and feathering also

never could I understand how people with black skin don't receive the same judicial treatment as people who are not black

never could I fathom not being allowed to go to school because I wasn't the right color

never could I understand what it must feel like to know black slaves built the WHITE House

***I never meant that one person's opinion is more important or should be excluded but I do feel the one who has experienced the effects of the topic has more input and their perspective needs to be heard more than someone without experience or who hasn't been affected by the topic of discussion.

Last edited by ContagiousInspiration on Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Yes, and I forgot.. I could never understand from a first hand perspective what it's like to be pulled over in my car because of DWB.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
How did this thread degenerate into a comparison of slavery to the internment of Japanese-Americans and whether Japanese-Americans are responsible for Pearl Harbor?

It degenerated the moment someone made the all too familiar "you're not black so you don't get it" comment and the not-as-common-but-as-absurd "your ancestors weren't enslaved so you don't get it" comment.

CI also asked what "whitey" could have possibly done to "my race". *sigh*

So I responded by saying that my (innocent) ancestors were wiped out by nuclear bombs on orders by the US Government (in addition to being placed in internment camps) thus, based on his line of thinking, I must have greater authority on ... foreign policy by default?

I'm just a little tired of the we had it worse than everybody so we're automatically right about everything related to race because no one else could understand because nobody had it like we did. It's BS. And it's certainly not fair to those people who were simply trying to engage in the conversation to be told that their opinion is meaningless because they aren't of a particular skin color.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Yes, and I forgot.. I could never understand from a first hand perspective what it's like to be pulled over in my car because of DWB.

All I and CI are saying is what happens to a ethnic is more fully understood by that ethnic.

I inked maybe Encinia's slave master attitude may have been The Straw That Broke The Camels Back, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH She was a Black Lives Matter advocate. Did he push her to the breaking point?

My point was and is if you're not Black you don't feel, understand what it's like. You may have empathy but IMO it's limited to empathy. I liken this to any ethnic. Life experiences are the bases from which I operate.

I don't know how a Chinese person feels when his/her race is degraded by giving the impression all they do is laundry. I have empathy but own I don't fully understand. If that's construed as being a racist I claim it.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Nobody said meaningless
you said your opinion is more important to foreign affairs..albeit in a question form

weird..please quote where I asked what whitey did to your race

I asked when did blacks attack America? because you brought up ww2 events..

please quote me..TIA
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Nobody said meaningless
you said your opinion is more important to foreign affairs..albeit in a question form

please quote me..TIA

Nobody said meaningless but the implication is there. Just like if I said to somebody, about a topic "you're [insert race], you wouldn't understand" -- it is implying their opinion doesn't hold water because they are of some race.

Here's the quote regarding your offensive question. (I pulled it out, it was a long post).

Let's hear about what whitey did to your race in America?

Here's a link to it, on just a couples pages back (page 9): http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=174618&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=200

I just think these kinds of comments to people aren't very constructive if the goal is to bridge racial divides. If your goal is to put someone down, then you keep doing it I suppose but I don't like it.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:15 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

All I and CI are saying is what happens to a ethnic is more fully understood by that ethnic.

I inked maybe Encinia's slave master attitude may have been The Straw That Broke The Camels Back, ENOUGH IS ENOUGH She was a Black Lives Matter advocate. Did he push her to the breaking point?

My point was and is if you're not Black you don't feel, understand what it's like. You may have empathy but IMO it's limited to empathy. I liken this to any ethnic. Life experiences are the bases from which I operate.

I don't know how a Chinese person feels when his/her race is degraded by giving the impression all they do is laundry. I have empathy but own I don't fully understand. If that's construed as being a racist I claim it.

Wait a second.

You're assuming all Chinese people think and feel the same way? I mean come the eff on man. It's 2015.

Not all asians think and feel the same way about things man. Good lord.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:24 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Wait a second.

You're assuming all Chinese people think and feel the same way? I mean come the eff on man. It's 2015.

Not all asians think and feel the same way about things man. Good lord.

There you go again putting words in my mouth, making your interpretations my meaning. I mean come the eff on man.

I never said all, you did. You're reading what you want to into my posts?

Read, dissect, assimilate.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:25 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Nobody said meaningless

please quote me..TIA

Nobody said meaningless but the implication is there. Just like if I said to somebody, about a topic "you're [insert race], you wouldn't understand" -- it is implying their opinion doesn't hold water because they are of some race.

Here's the quote regarding your offensive question. (I pulled it out, it was a long post).

Let's hear about what whitey did to your race in America?

Here's a link to it, on just a couples pages back (page 9): http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=174618&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=200

I just think these kinds of comments to people aren't very constructive if the goal is to bridge racial divides. If your goal is to put someone down, then you keep doing it I suppose but I don't like it.

Thank you for quoting it. I appreciate it and no it wasn't meant to upset you . my opinion was that as (bleep) and corrupt and downright criminal as internment was it was much more isolated than 200plus years of slavery and denying them rights for multiple generations

You seemed to be comparing the events as though the Japanese did nothing to cause America to attack them. While in truth blacks did nothing to America to give them a reason to be enslaved for centuries.

I will find a way to be more sensitive to your pov.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13
Jump to: