List all the big men in history better than Duncan
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: List all the big men in history better than Duncan

I'm so tired of the Duncan over-praising.
He's not a top 10 of all time player, he's not even a top 10 big man.
So here's my list.

My view: Duncan is a standard big man, legit 7-footer, plays the big man role. He knew he'd have better career accolades if he is considered a PF, so that's his gimmick. He's really just a center, who is kind of soft and whatever. If people considered him a center, he'd be criticized a lot more.

Big men better than Duncan:
Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem
Russell
Walton
Ewing
Mikan
Sabonis
Mchale
Drob
Sampson
Deandre
rmonkey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject:

I have Duncan as the PF on my all time starting 5. Does that answer your question?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject:

It's ok to acknowledge and respect your opponent. A great opponent like Duncan has made our victories sweeter.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: List all the big men in history better than Duncan

SuperboyReformed wrote:
So here's my list.

My view: Duncan is a standard big man, legit 7-footer, plays the big man role. He knew he'd have better career accolades if he is considered a PF, so that's his gimmick. He's really just a center, who is kind of soft and whatever. If people considered him a center, he'd be criticized a lot more.

Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem
Russell
Walton
Ewing
Mikan
Sabonis
Mchale
Drob
Sampson
Deandre

Not better than Duncan.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject:

One of the worst lists I've ever seen.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: List all the big men in history better than Duncan

Vancouver Fan wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
So here's my list.

Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem
Russell
Walton
Ewing
Mikan
Sabonis
Mchale
Drob
Sampson
Deandre

Not better than Duncan.

Walton was way better than Duncan but injuries cut him way short.

He was better in college than Duncan has been in the pro's! He was better in Portland as well.

Poor Walton, only got a glimpse of his greatness. If he would have stayed healthy, he would have had a career on par with Kareem's.

Sabonis too but other than that, I would agree with your take.

McHale was NOT better than Duncan. Mikan, not close, Deandre is a disrespectful comment. Dude couldn't shine Duncan's shoes. Ewing? Nope!

You can't take partial talent that has never won much and put them up against Duncan and disrespect that guy who has 5 rings.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: List all the big men in history better than Duncan

SuperboyReformed wrote:
So here's my list.

Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem
Russell
Walton
Ewing
Mikan
Sabonis
Mchale
Drob
Sampson
Deandre

Power forwards that are better than Duncan: none.

Centers that are better than Duncan: Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Shaq and Hakeem. (Depending on my mood of the day, Shaq or Hakeem might drop off the list. Russell maybe too.)
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: List all the big men in history better than Duncan

Wino wrote:
Walton was way better than Duncan but injuries cut him way short.

He was better in college than Duncan has been in the pro's! He was better in Portland as well.

Poor Walton, only got a glimpse of his greatness. If he would have stayed healthy, he would have had a career on par with Kareem's.

Sabonis too but other than that, I would agree with your take.

My view is that you're not better than another player if you're not able to get on the court. (Who's a better center: Shaq sitting on the sidelines in a suit or Tristan Thompson when he's in the game -- I say Thompson because guys in suits don't get any points, rebounds, or stops).

Walton was great when he was able to play and healthy, but he never had one full season, so I have to knock him down a lot for that.

Sabonis is a special case. Theoretically, he could have been a GOAT level guy, but we never saw him in his prime against prime-time competition so I have to knock him down too. I can't give a guy extra credit for woulda-shoulda-couldas.
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject:

KBH wrote:

Should have stopped at Shaquille ........

Last edited by doughboy90650 on Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:07 pm    Post subject:

DJ is not better than Timmy.....
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: List all the big men in history better than Duncan

activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
So here's my list.

Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem
Russell
Walton
Ewing
Mikan
Sabonis
Mchale
Drob
Sampson
Deandre

Centers that are better than Duncan: Kareem, Wilt, Russell, Shaq and Hakeem. (Depending on my mood of the day, Shaq or Hakeem might drop off the list. Russell maybe too.)

My point is that he's not really a power forward. He's a center who is *listed* as a power forward; that's why i call it a gimmick. How does he play=center, how does he look=center, height=center, size=center.

hakeem played center...he's smaller than duncan. if hakeem was listed as power forward, he would most definitely be the greatest power forward of all time. if wilt was listed as power forward, same. you see?
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
DJ is not better than Timmy.....

i thought i was going to get away with that one. but whoever above already nixed half my list anyway!
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:47 pm    Post subject:

I don't want Duncan to get #6, though he probably will next year, but the clear desire to promote nice clean Tim and downgrade mean ol nontexting Bass, Hibbert, and Lou selfish arrogant evil Kobe doesn't mean people are overpraising Tim. He's pretty damn great, sorry. To me Kobe is on another level, but Tim's level is way up there too and historical. We saw it up close when we played him and I would have loved to see Kobe and Tim play together in primes.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
KBH wrote:

Should have stopped at Shaquille ........

He could have gone down to Russell and it would simply be a list most people would disagree with, but you could see how one could make a reasonable argument that the guy was better than Duncan. Beyond that, the list is pure absurd and just trying to draw reactions.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:06 pm    Post subject:

Shaq
Hakeem
Kareem
Sabonis
David Robinson
Walton
Wilt

All of these guys were better players than Duncan at some point in their careers. Sabonis at 40 wasn't better than Duncan, but both players at 40, sabonis is better. When Sabonis was young I would argue he was better.

Walton has already been discussed.

When we talk about better careers, then the list changes. Duncan has always had great team success, with solid teams and great coaching.

He is clearly the best power forward of all time though.

If Ralph Sampson doesn't get hurt then maybe we can keep him on the list, and then maybe people regard Hakeem better as he is able to enjoy more team success.

Ewing was worse than Duncan at everything, I wanted to say something nice about him here, but I guess there isn't anything to say
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: List all the big men in history better than Duncan

SuperboyReformed wrote:
activeverb wrote:
SuperboyReformed wrote:
So here's my list.

Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem
Russell
Walton
Ewing
Mikan
Sabonis
Mchale
Drob
Sampson
Deandre

My point is that he's not really a power forward. He's a center who is *listed* as a power forward; that's why i call it a gimmick. How does he play=center, how does he look=center, height=center, size=center.

hakeem played center...he's smaller than duncan. if hakeem was listed as power forward, he would most definitely be the greatest power forward of all time. if wilt was listed as power forward, same. you see?

The point you are making it this post is not remotely related to your silly post that started this silly thread.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:56 pm    Post subject:

The greatest PF of all-time is Antawn Jamison, even if you count Duncan as a PF. It really isn't even all that close.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: List all the big men in history better than Duncan

SuperboyReformed wrote:
So here's my list.

Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem
Russell
Walton
Ewing
Mikan
Sabonis
Mchale
Drob
Sampson
Deandre

Not as good as Sampson ? Mikan ? Sabonis ? Drob ? Ewing ? That's kooky.

Moses Malone was as good a player as Duncan for a ten year period. Walton was as talented as Duncan but his injuries made him less valuable over the long haul, and the long haul is a key element of Dunc's greatness.

I think I'd take Duncan over McHale as well, though Herman Munster was the next best combo PF-C. I'd take Timmy over Hakeem and Shaq too.
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: List all the big men in history better than Duncan

SuperboyReformed wrote:
So here's my list.

Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem
Russell
Walton
Ewing
Mikan
Sabonis
Mchale
Drob
Sampson
Deandre

wait..deandre jordan??
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: List all the big men in history better than Duncan

SuperboyReformed wrote:
So here's my list.

He's a PF/C. His "class" isn't "center." Other players in his class would be McHale, Sampson, Garnett, K. Malone, and Rasheed. At times, all of those guys played center, but there was usually an actual center in the lineup. In the case of Duncan, it has been a string of guys from the Admiral to Splitter. When you have a guy like Duncan or McHale at PF, you've got a big lineup. If you go small, you can move Duncan or McHale to C. Over the course of his career, Duncan probably played the C role more than the other guys in his class. Players like this are probably a dying breed due to the rise of stretch 4s.

There's no mystery here. I happen to agree that Duncan is over-praised, but that is due to the halo effect and the narrative that he is a nice guy who benevolently takes pay cuts.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject:

This thread is so ridiculous that I'm tempted to lock it.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:37 am    Post subject:

as much I hate to admit this and believe me I hate the spurs more than anyone here.... Tim Duncan is the best power forward of all time
LakersChamps04
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject:

you guys..he said deandre jordan is better than duncan...deandre. can we please lock this up?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject:

While I agree with him not being a top 10 player, with him being a center using the PF gimmick, and with there being maybe 10 better all-time bigs than him, I just gotta say this...

Deandre Jordan?

really?

KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: List all the big men in history better than Duncan

SuperboyReformed wrote:
So here's my list.

Wilt
Kareem
Shaq
Hakeem
Russell
Walton
Ewing
Mikan
Sabonis
Mchale
Drob
Sampson
Deandre

^ not sure if serious .... whos Drob?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6
Jump to: