Exerpt from Kobe's Dime Article
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alpha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Exerpt from Kobe's Dime Article

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/5301340

:O
jmark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject:

You beat me to it!
Alpha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:

Now if I can only track down a copy of that cruddy mag here in Hawaii...
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for posting.

Quote:

The game is a rhythm, a dance. Phil and Tex have taught me to feel the game. To think the game without thinking, to see without seeing. They taught me how to prepare. How to conceptualize the spirit of my opponents and attack them where they are weak.

Kobe's starting to sound like PJ
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
But now I worry because I know how hard that was for me to learn, how many sleepless nights I had and how much criticism and trade rumors I had to endure before I mastered my role

I read a bit of it and this struck out.

I hate Phil for ever even thinking of trading Kobe. There's noway a guy like him should have ever worried about being traded. I hope Phil never does that with Bynum in the next 2-3 years (although he might have already in the Artest sweeptstakes)

Great read from that Exerpt. Thanks, Aplha.

I'm definitely buying this one !
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
When I saw the movie Rudy I remember thinking, "What if I worked that hard?" God has blessed me both physically and intellectually to play this game, so what would happen if I push as hard as the character in this film? I would love for people to think of me as a talented overachiever. Even though those fans may chant "Kobe sucks" when they leave that arena I want them to walk out with a different feeling than they came in with. When they leave they'll leave with the understanding that they have just witnessed a player give himself completely to his passion; they have just watched an athlete pour every ounce of his heart and soul out on that floor.

Amazing.

Now I know why so many black NBA players hate Kobe.

He can read and write at a level they could only dream of.

Excellent stuff !!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Wow. Love that article so far. Very well written and I love the end of that first part.
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject:

Good stuff...but I see a few run-ons. I guess he didn't let them edit anything
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
But now I worry because I know how hard that was for me to learn, how many sleepless nights I had and how much criticism and trade rumors I had to endure before I mastered my role

I hate Phil for ever even thinking of trading Kobe. There's noway a guy like him should have ever worried about being traded. I hope Phil never does that with Bynum in the next 2-3 years (although he might have already in the Artest sweeptstakes)

Actually, it sounds as though he's empathizing with Lamar and sorta hinting at fans to chill out about him; given the fact that Lamar Odom is trying to learn and master the facilitator role, while having to endure endless criticism and trade rumors.
RJBaca
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Thanks for posting.

Quote:

The game is a rhythm, a dance. Phil and Tex have taught me to feel the game. To think the game without thinking, to see without seeing. They taught me how to prepare. How to conceptualize the spirit of my opponents and attack them where they are weak.

Kobe's starting to sound like PJ

yea - or Vick the Brick...

"Feelin you!"
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:

Actually, it sounds as though he's empathizing with Lamar and sorta hinting at fans to chill out about him; given the fact that Lamar Odom is trying to learn and master the facilitator role, while having to endure endless criticism and trade rumors.

Yeah He's mentioned that a few times now.

He talked about Odom being in his shoes now on the talk show.

Obviously he must know what it's like to struggle with the offense. It's not easy.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
What helps me understand and deal with this is the fact that I was once in their shoes. I once played a supporting role on this team. Back then I knew how much pressure Shaquille had on him to win a ring and I also knew I could help. So I studied the game offensively and especially defensively because I knew that if I could harass on the perimeter with him clogging the lane, it would demoralize our opponents more than anything we could do offensively.

I also knew that the teams he played on in the past did not have a closer. No one could take the game over down the stretch or hit the game winner or make the key free throws. Those were Shaq's weaknesses, so I had to step up and make them my strengths. I knew how much more I could bring to the battle, but that wasn't my role. I was a scorer who became a facilitator in order to win.

Shaq, you stupid SOB.

Kobe was smart enough to figure out what you needed. Why the hell couldn't you do the same, when it was obvious that Kobe was in his prime and you were in decline?

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ozendorph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Excellent stuff !!

lol, yikes.
kemi4kobes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
When I saw the movie Rudy I remember thinking, "What if I worked that hard?" God has blessed me both physically and intellectually to play this game, so what would happen if I push as hard as the character in this film? I would love for people to think of me as a talented overachiever. Even though those fans may chant "Kobe sucks" when they leave that arena I want them to walk out with a different feeling than they came in with. When they leave they'll leave with the understanding that they have just witnessed a player give himself completely to his passion; they have just watched an athlete pour every ounce of his heart and soul out on that floor.

Amazing.

Excellent stuff !!

WTF?
"I wish I could draw a picture of the look on their faces..... For a time, it was like he was on the court by himself. It's like God put Kobe here for us to watch him play basketball." - LO On KB8's Performance Against the Clips 07/01/06
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Ozendorph wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Excellent stuff !!

lol, yikes.

Harsh, but it's true.

I am privy to a ton of interviews and post game stuff when team's visit the Toronto Raptors.

Most of the guys couldn't write a sentance let alone an article.
dirka dirka
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Ozendorph wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Excellent stuff !!

lol, yikes.

Harsh, but it's true.

I am privy to a ton of interviews and post game stuff when team's visit the Toronto Raptors.

LMAO, maybe you should learn to spell "sentence" before busting an entire race on their writing skills. Perhaps you should have just left it as most NBA players and left race out of it? Just a thought.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
What helps me understand and deal with this is the fact that I was once in their shoes. I once played a supporting role on this team. Back then I knew how much pressure Shaquille had on him to win a ring and I also knew I could help. So I studied the game offensively and especially defensively because I knew that if I could harass on the perimeter with him clogging the lane, it would demoralize our opponents more than anything we could do offensively.

I also knew that the teams he played on in the past did not have a closer. No one could take the game over down the stretch or hit the game winner or make the key free throws. Those were Shaq's weaknesses, so I had to step up and make them my strengths. I knew how much more I could bring to the battle, but that wasn't my role. I was a scorer who became a facilitator in order to win.

Shaq, you stupid SOB.

Kobe was smart enough to figure out what you needed. Why the hell couldn't you do the same, when it was obvious that Kobe was in his prime and you were in decline?

Yeah, what he said!
Kobe2Clark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

I think it's most athletes in general. There are many stupid sounding white ballers too
eniq 0x00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject:

I always knew Kobe had it upstairs in addition to being a hardworker and physically gifted.

^^ Farmar

karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Very eloquent article, well written. I'm gonna have to get my hands on this one...good stuff. Thanks for posting this!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:

dirka dirka wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Ozendorph wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Excellent stuff !!

lol, yikes.

Harsh, but it's true.

LMAO, maybe you should learn to spell "sentence" before busting an entire race on their writing skills. Perhaps you should have just left it as most NBA players and left race out of it? Just a thought.

It's not race.

Do you forget that Kobe is black too?

All my favorite NBA players are black. My roommate is black and muslim.

So that's not it at all. It's about Kobe's earlier years where i recall a bunch of these guys hating on him because he wasn't as "street" like as the rest of them.

Instead of it being a good thing that Kobe wasn't like them, it was made out to be a bad thing. Infact, It still is by many people.
El Ocho
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Kobe will be the GOAT.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Kobe2Lamar wrote:
Quote:

I think it's most athletes in general. There are many stupid sounding white ballers too

That's true.

From what i remember of Kobe's early days - he got a lot of hate for not being as "street" like and for him talking intellectually instead of all gangster like Iverson. He still isn't accepted in Philly and other places because of that. That always pissed me off - especially when i was in highschool because many of my teammates used to hate him for that reason too. Many people didn't like him just because he wasn't acting "black" enough. Last summer I think some rapper called him "Uncle Tom" ....

But whatever. If I offended someone (shouldn't have) I appologize.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
dirka dirka
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
dirka dirka wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Ozendorph wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Excellent stuff !!

lol, yikes.

Harsh, but it's true.

It's not race.

So that's not it at all. It's about Kobe's earlier years where i recall a bunch of these guys hating on him because he wasn't as "street" like as the rest of them.

Instead of it being a good thing that Kobe wasn't like them, it was made out to be a bad thing. Infact, It still is by many people.

Whatever man, what you said was wrong, apologize and stop trying to rationalize. (edit - I see you did, thats enough for me - thanks)
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
dirka dirka wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Ozendorph wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Excellent stuff !!

lol, yikes.

Harsh, but it's true.

It's not race.

I love black people...some of my closest friends are black.

Whatever Wolf, you may know some black folks, but you definitely don't understand anything for you to say something that ignorant and racist. It's very presumptuous for you to suggest that other black athletes hate Kobe because he can speak and write well.

And which black athletes have stated they didn't like Kobe because he's not 'street' enough??
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: