A more likely scenario than Bosh in 2007
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ericp6387
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: A more likely scenario than Bosh in 2007

Rashard Lewis will be unrestricted. I would rather have Bosh, but he is a great fallback guy. He can shoot, score and has size. He may not be great defensively, but that may not be a big deal if Bynum becomes the shot-blocker we think he may become. The key to this would be if Turiaf becomes a solid, tough, rebounding 4 who develops just a semi-decent offensive game (better than Kwame and Samaki). If this happens, which I think is very possible based on what I saw from him in college, then you can move Lamar to the sixth man role, backing up the 3 and 4, much the way Kukoc did with the Bulls (I compare Lamar to Kukoc much more than Pippen). Cook and/or Walton can stick around to add even more depth; Kwame is history. Mihm backs up Bynum. We have Smush, Sasha, Wafer, and probably a 1st rounder this year at the PG. This still gives you a team with nobody over 30 and a legitimate #2 scorer. As I said, the key will be whether Ronnie can develop into a solid enough starting 4. We should find that out in the next year and a half I guess. The good thing about this whole scenario is the fact that Lewis is completely unrestricted and would add the shooting element and the # 2 scorer element.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:

Lewis would be a good scorer on this team.

However, he wouldn't be my first option in FA. If it's down to signing him or waiting for 2008 - I wait until 08.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
AV
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Lakers are not going to pay Odom that kind of money to be a 6th man
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

However, he wouldn't be my first option in FA. If it's down to signing him or waiting for 2008 - I wait until 08.

I agree. I go back and forth on Rashard. I feel like he's kinda soft, but he does have lots of talent. I just think we need a bit more attitude on this team, and he's pretty bland.
El Ocho
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I agree. I go back and forth on Rashard. I feel like he's kinda soft, but he does have lots of talent. I just think we need a bit more attitude on this team, and he's pretty bland.

im begining to get tired of lamar. maybe a sign and trade with seattle. lamar for rashard. but who would actually trade for lamar at this point. he hasnt done anything. im so disappointed.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject:

RLewis all damn day. He kills you outside, his post scoring is ridiculous. When ray is OFF Lewis steps up. Hes 6'10, plays pretty good D. He would make me happy. He is a legit compliment to KOBE. creates on his own etc.Young
eldrunko714
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Rashard choked in the playoffs last year.
bambam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject:

The lakers need to spend the money on inside threats.. not more SF's.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject:

eldrunko714 wrote:
Rashard choked in the playoffs last year.

Spurs will do that to you.
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject:

We'll have a clearer look on our team once Bynum and Turiaf develop. If they develop well enough to be our future PF and C, then I think we can go after some shooters and scorerd off the bench.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject:

I don't consider Bosh to be a likely scenario at all. The same goes for any of those young guys. They are more likely to sign extensions with their current teams as they would come over here to play second banana to Kobe for less money. However, it doesn't hurt to have the cap space available if something does change.

The 2007 "Plan", if you can call it a plan, is more about having options than saving up for a particular player. It may mean signing a free-agent or it could mean taking on a huge contract(s) some other teams wants to dump in exchange for draft picks or having the space to take on a superstar contract like KG's.
The Dagger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Maybe a S n T w/ Seattle for Odom, that way we still keep the cap dream alive for 2008. Kobe desperately needs a number two. I'm not sure how long he can last playing all five positions at once.
LA_UNION
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject:

If its just for a shooter, then get Peja to sign next year.
Showtime_Returns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:

A better idea would be to trade Odom for Rashard Lewis now so that when 2007 comes up we would have more money to throw at Bosh although there isn't much chance of getting him.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
I don't consider Bosh to be a likely scenario at all. The same goes for any of those young guys. They are more likely to sign extensions with their current teams as they would come over here to play second banana to Kobe for less money.

True, but players can let their management know they are not interested in re-signing and essentially force a sign-and-trade where they get max money but end up with the team they want. Look at Joe Johnson and the Suns.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:

I want Dirk.
Sidious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:

good luck getting Bosh
LAL25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Face it Laker fans, we are going to have to score via the draft.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject:

El Ocho wrote:
Socks wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

im begining to get tired of lamar. maybe a sign and trade with seattle. lamar for rashard. but who would actually trade for lamar at this point. he hasnt done anything. im so disappointed.

LAmar is actually quite beloved by many in the league, he's got talent , a walking trible double, every team thinks they can make him great. Dont forget as well, he was great in his one year in miami, in the right system he is a #1 /#2. Maybe the triangle isnt for him , many players dont function well in it.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

So you'd rather run Kobe into the ground such that you have to start from scratch in 2008? That makes a lot of sense.

Again, if the plan is to wait until 2008 to make moves, trade Kobe now for capspace, draft picks, young talent. You don't ride a player in his prime into the ground without getting him help. We all agree it is stupid when Minny does it to KG, how is it not a stupid plan to do it to Kobe?

By the way, who is unrestricted in 2008? Bosh is pipe. If he makes it known he will not sign the extension, Toronto will ship him to another team. They'll have his Bird Rights, they can offer him the most money. That team will not want to give him up for Odom. So you can't have Bosh.

Every other big name free agent in 2008 has a player option that will more likely than not be used to opt out and sign a bigger extension. There are also 17 or 18 teams with substantial cap room in 2008, such that we won't be the only team competing for free agents--and such that teams will have the money to resign their own free agents.

Again, name me the times contending teams were built by signing elite player free agents under the current CBA? Since it hasn't happened, there is little reason to assume it will work simply because this is the Lakers. Teams are built via draft, trades and mid-level to less than max free agency signings. You can get a Joe Johnson, or maybe a Rashard Lewis by overpaying. You cannot get a Chris Bosh. Not happening. Teams do not let 20/10 young bigs walk for nothing or give them away for inconsistent tweener forwards. Never, ever.

So you're talking 4 seasons of Kobe carrying this team with no help from the time Shaq was traded, along with long summers (first round playoffs, then Olympic team) before getting any help. 30 years old with 12 seasons on his legs (with all the post season and Olympic games, add 2-3 more seasons of wear and tear). I'm not saying he won't be effective, but lets be real once and for all. He's playing championship level ball now. The best player you can get in all likelihood 2 seasons from now is Rashard Lewis. The best player you can probably get right now in trade is...Rashard Lewis. I fail to see the logic of waiting 2-3 more years only to find out it isn't getting any better than Rashard, when you can add Rashard now and then build like normal, sane teams do.
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
El Ocho wrote:
Socks wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

LAmar is actually quite beloved by many in the league, he's got talent , a walking trible double, every team thinks they can make him great. Dont forget as well, he was great in his one year in miami, in the right system he is a #1 /#2. Maybe the triangle isnt for him , many players dont function well in it.

That might be scene here. Trade Lamar NOW & stop wasting Kobe's prime, seriously he is a good player just not good with the Lakers' system.
Burn the frekin ideal 2007 plans. The 2007 has too many IFs to be accomplished.
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject:

ok here is the one problem i see if the 2007 plan is not for a handfull of player then it is a flawed plan. you do not put your franchise on hold for anyhting other than top 10 player who would be a huge difference maker. i like lewis alot but i do not see him as that player.

Wade
bron
bosh
amare no longer

those type of guys yeas good plan. but i really doubt we can get any player like that without a sign and trade. every team will want them. the team losing them will want something back from those people. I believe sign and trade is the only way to get a superstar. I dont think that players like that leave very often via free agency.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject:

If Rashard played with Kobe he would average 30 ppg. With all the double teams Kobe gets Rashard would have wide open looks all night!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
So you'd rather run Kobe into the ground such that you have to start from scratch in 2008? That makes a lot of sense

Kobe's overrated if he breaks down at 30.

With his work ethic and desire, he should be a solid 25/5/5 player until 34-35.

No reason for him not be in his peak at 30 even.

Quote:
Again, if the plan is to wait until 2008 to make moves, trade Kobe now for capspace, draft picks, young talent. You don't ride a player in his prime into the ground without getting him help. We all agree it is stupid when Minny does it to KG, how is it not a stupid plan to do it to Kobe

Minny is different. They are stuck with some really bad contracts for a long time. They first overpaid KG for a number of years killing any chances of aquiring good players. Then when he took less, they had given Wally, Hudson and Hassell bad K's.

Minnesota is the BEST example of why you don't trade around a superstar. You find him the best player period and that's what the Lakers could do in 2007 or 2008.

Now, while you may think there's players out there that can allow for the Lakers to be winners - I don't see them.

The impact players aren't out there through trade. Not unless you deal Bryant.

Quote:
Every other big name free agent in 2008 has a player option that will more likely than not be used to opt out and sign a bigger extension. There are also 17 or 18 teams with substantial cap room in 2008, such that we won't be the only team competing for free agents--and such that teams will have the money to resign their own free agents.

Nope.

The most jumping is when there's UFA status. Many players are fed upw ith their situation and want to go elsewhere.

If the Lakers have a max slot - even if it's a year less - players will have interest.

It's the same reason Gary Payton and Karl Malone came. Same reason Shaq signed.

If they can come here - be rich, enjoy LA weather/lifestyle and at the same time contend for rings - they WILL come.

Quote:
Again, name me the times contending teams were built by signing elite player free agents under the current CBA? Since it hasn't happened, there is little reason to assume it will work simply because this is the Lakers. Teams are built via draft, trades and mid-level to less than max free agency signings. You can get a Joe Johnson, or maybe a Rashard Lewis by overpaying. You cannot get a Chris Bosh. Not happening. Teams do not let 20/10 young bigs walk for nothing or give them away for inconsistent tweener forwards. Never, ever.

Well, I never said "tweener forwards" is what you need. A max slot is a max slot. Many teams hesitate to sign a disgruntled player to a max contract.

You want an example? T-Mac. He left TO despite them offering him an extension at the max.

There's players that will leave, RG. Players that will want to come to LA and become part of the next great Laker teams.

It's not like this summer where we are going to offer players 1-2 year deals. We are talking offering players 80 million over 5 years.

That's a ton of money, and considering the LA market along with the LA Laker brand name - FA's will want to come here.

Quote:
you're talking 4 seasons of Kobe carrying this team with no help from the time Shaq was traded, along with long summers (first round playoffs, then Olympic team) before getting any help. 30 years old with 12 seasons on his legs (with all the post season and Olympic games, add 2-3 more seasons of wear and tear). I'm not saying he won't be effective, but lets be real once and for all. He's playing championship level ball now. The best player you can get in all likelihood 2 seasons from now is Rashard Lewis. The best player you can probably get right now in trade is...Rashard Lewis. I fail to see the logic of waiting 2-3 more years only to find out it isn't getting any better than Rashard, when you can add Rashard now and then build like normal, sane teams do

The logic is that it's not just about Kobe. It's about the Lakers. It's about developping your young draft picks and building a complete team.

The team's winning these days aren't one man shows. They aren't even two man shows like Kobe-Shaq. They are a complete 5 man team with some impressive bench players.

The Lakers can NOT match that with trades right now. They need an impact player at one of the power positions and they need one or two of their draft picks to develop.

Once that happens - they can contend. Yes, even with a 30 year old Kobe Bryant and a "tweener forward".

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
K8KillerInstinct
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject:

vicman wrote:
ok here is the one problem i see if the 2007 plan is not for a handfull of player then it is a flawed plan. you do not put your franchise on hold for anyhting other than top 10 player who would be a huge difference maker. i like lewis alot but i do not see him as that player.

Wade
bron
bosh
amare no longer

those type of guys yeas good plan. but i really doubt we can get any player like that without a sign and trade. every team will want them. the team losing them will want something back from those people. I believe sign and trade is the only way to get a superstar. I dont think that players like that leave very often via free agency.

Here is the thing. You don't need (or even want) more than one or maximum 2 SUPERstars. Chemistry doesn't work that way, its good to have one Superstar, one or two stars (players like Artest, Lewis...), and the rest NBA players (average to above average, not Smush & Luke) and a decent bench. Most championship teams are like that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: