Point of Concern: Perimeter Defense
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Anyone else think that DLO may sneakily turn into a quality defender?

I do. But I have mentioned before a long time ago on this board that he should turn into a good defender. I would say length and mentality are the most important key factors. I think he has both of those.

You could see it later in the year he was trying harder on defense at Ohio State. He made some really good plays on defense too, when engaged. He will only get better imo.

I love that he has the ability to reach and poke the ball out when a defender gets by him. And he can go over the top. Imagine a smaller pg sandwhiched in between the length of Russell and Hibbert? I'm sure we will see the flashes?

Last edited by Tony Anapolis on Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
There has been a steady if not dramatic improvement in Lou Williams’ level of play since he arrived in Toronto. Known for his instant offense off the bench over his nine seasons in the NBA, Williams has been surprisingly effective on defense and he is earning Raptors Head Coach Dwane Casey’s respect as a result.

“Most of all I’m impressed with Lou (Williams) defense,” Casey said. “He has a reputation of being a scorer, but now he’s doing a much better job defensively for us which allows him to stay in and guard guys like Waiters and Irving and people like that.”

Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Quote:
There has been a steady if not dramatic improvement in Lou Williams’ level of play since he arrived in Toronto. Known for his instant offense off the bench over his nine seasons in the NBA, Williams has been surprisingly effective on defense and he is earning Raptors Head Coach Dwane Casey’s respect as a result.

“Most of all I’m impressed with Lou (Williams) defense,” Casey said. “He has a reputation of being a scorer, but now he’s doing a much better job defensively for us which allows him to stay in and guard guys like Waiters and Irving and people like that.”

Nice!
SaintStephen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
As much as Wes Johnson disappointed us, I do kind of wish we could have kept him. Big, long athletic 3 who could theoretically try to match up with true SFs.

When we need to "lock down" a hot PG, who do we throw? Maybe Clarkson can try but he's got a ways to go defensively. I do think the Lakers will be active shoppers to get a defensive SF on 12/15 and beyond.

Nick can defend when he puts forth the effort.

And when has he done that ? He's 30 now. He is who he is.

He had to do it before or else we wouldn't know he was capable.

Nick Young has never had a defensive rating lower than 109 in any season. And often he's been significantly higher than that. Dude plays no defense.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:09 pm    Post subject:

SaintStephen wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
As much as Wes Johnson disappointed us, I do kind of wish we could have kept him. Big, long athletic 3 who could theoretically try to match up with true SFs.

When we need to "lock down" a hot PG, who do we throw? Maybe Clarkson can try but he's got a ways to go defensively. I do think the Lakers will be active shoppers to get a defensive SF on 12/15 and beyond.

Nick can defend when he puts forth the effort.

And when has he done that ? He's 30 now. He is who he is.

He had to do it before or else we wouldn't know he was capable.

Nick Young has never had a defensive rating lower than 109 in any season. And often he's been significantly higher than that. Dude plays no defense.

All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Tony Anapolis wrote:
Just a thought? Why do people confuse elite athleticism with being a great defender? Aren't most of the greatest defenders non-athletic guys?

Doesn't elite athleticism translate more on the offensive side of the ball?

For instance, Serge Ibaka is a great shot blocker, but is he necessarily a great defender? Idk?

Tim Duncan comes to mind? Tony Allen? Mike Conley? Shane Battier? Grant Hill in his later years? Bruce Bowen? Demarre Carroll? Even Ray Allen was a pretty good defender in his day? Rasheed Wallace? Jermaine O'Neil? Ron Artest?

All are either great to pretty good defenders in their day. None were superior athletes I would say?

Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:
Just a thought? Why do people confuse elite athleticism with being a great defender? Aren't most of the greatest defenders non-athletic guys?

For instance, Serge Ibaka is a great shot blocker, but is he necessarily a great defender? Idk?

Tim Duncan comes to mind? Tony Allen? Mike Conley? Shane Battier? Grant Hill in his later years? Bruce Bowen? Demarre Carroll? Even Ray Allen was a pretty good defender in his day? Rasheed Wallace? Jermaine O'Neil? Ron Artest?

All are either great to pretty good defenders in their day. None were superior athletes I would say?

Ryan kelly
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:45 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Ryan kelly

One of the best defenders in recent memory, Metta World Peace, has never been described as an Explosive Athlete (though he was a good athlete overall)
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:55 pm    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:
Tony Anapolis wrote:

Ryan kelly

One of the best defenders in recent memory, Metta World Peace, has never been described as an Explosive Athlete (though he was a good athlete overall)

Metta could barely dunk.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject:

exactly
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:16 pm    Post subject:

MWP had some of the quickest hands and was one of the stronger players out there. Plus he has that NYC craziness/tenacity. We have um...none of that at the moment on the wing.
CalisFinest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject:

I'll be very happy if the Lakers can be average defensively on the perimeter next year.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject:

This video goes over some advanced defensive analytics and mentions Hibbert around the 17 minute mark or so. (Worth watching the whole thing.)

matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Tay Prince out there waiting for a job

Can still be a really good defender AND has no health problems
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:59 am    Post subject:

I still remember that Metta oop dunk in his last season with us when everyone thought he had zero vert

was crazy

Even kobe who threw it was confused
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:14 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
This video goes over some advanced defensive analytics and mentions Hibbert around the 17 minute mark or so. (Worth watching the whole thing.)

Yeah, I broke down a few of the advanced defensive stats and basically in 2012-13, 2013-14, he was a top 7 all-NBA defender.

Last season, without Paul George/Lance he was on a veritable island. Unfortunately, unless our guys become defensive stalwarts within 2 months, he may be in a similar situation where the perimeter defenders are just too leaky. Here's to hoping that young guys like DLO/Clarkson can improve on that end and that by mid-season, we would have traded for or used the room exception to get a more steady 3/D SF.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Yeah, I broke down a few of the advanced defensive stats and basically in 2012-13, 2013-14, he was a top 7 all-NBA defender.

Last season, without Paul George/Lance he was on a veritable island. Unfortunately, unless our guys become defensive stalwarts within 2 months, he may be in a similar situation where the perimeter defenders are just too leaky. Here's to hoping that young guys like DLO/Clarkson can improve on that end and that by mid-season, we would have traded for or used the room exception to get a more steady 3/D SF.

What the Lakers should have done was skip the Hail Mary pursuits of Aldridge and focused on building a solid roster from day one of free agency.

They could have had some nice signings of second tier free agents while every one else focused on the big names. They actually recovered well with their additions except for the glaring hole at SF. Unless Mitch is a miracle worker it will be a weakness all year long. I will continue to hope he will surprise us with an unexpected move.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:45 am    Post subject:

I anticipate some difficulties for this team as a defensive unit, yes. Grades forecast as follows:

The SF slot seems to me the point of greatest volatility and risk as a defensive element. Given Kobe's age and debilitation and risk of injury, I hedge to conservative views of effectiveness. There is also Swaggy P's past to weigh upon. Anthony Brown may be a ray of sunshine, but he's a rookie too and unlikely to see much PT if Kobe and Young are healthy. Grade: C

At the guard slots, Russell will take his lumps, both from the learning curve of the team's tactics and more generally, as a rookie (foul monger.) Clarkson's rookie campaign suggested he has a significant growth curve to chase as an individual and help defender. The depth guys (J-Brown, Williams) aren't known for bring above average chops on dee. Grade: C-

Among the bigs, there's some better hope. When motivated and deployed with tactics befitting his strengths, Hibbert can be as good a defensive presence at center that exists today, both inside and in PnR situations. Black is impulsive and a little undersized for center, but I figure him willing to give effort to learn. The PF guys offer me added hope across the board; at least here there are options for experience (Bass), mobility (Randle), hops (Nance) and length (Kelly). Grade: B

Team Grade: C+
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:49 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

What the Lakers should have done was skip the Hail Mary pursuits of Aldridge and focused on building a solid roster from day one of free agency.

They could have had some nice signings of second tier free agents while every one else focused on the big names. They actually recovered well with their additions except for the glaring hole at SF. Unless Mitch is a miracle worker it will be a weakness all year long. I will continue to hope he will surprise us with an unexpected move.

I think they will actually go for SFs next summer (Durant, Batum, maybe DeRozan) so they just didn't want to overpay for a guy like Carroll who is already almost 30.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

I think they will actually go for SFs next summer (Durant, Batum, maybe DeRozan) so they just didn't want to overpay for a guy like Carroll who is already almost 30.

There were other players available day one.

For examples, Afflalo and Aminu both signed for under $10M. Maybe showing a bit of love and a couple million dollars more for Danny Green could have swayed him. Perhaps signing a Koufos or R. Lopez for less then Hibbert and more importantly locking a center in for a few years to develop with the team.

Water under the bridge at this point. But IMO the Lakers wasted time and energy chasing the long shots. We had this discussion repeatedly before free agency started.

IMO the strategy should have been to fill the biggest needs first. To build a competitive team. Then chase the elites next year. Obviously the Lakers did not agree.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:19 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

For examples, Afflalo and Aminu both signed for under $10M. Maybe showing a bit of love and a couple million dollars more for Danny Green could have swayed him. Perhaps signing a Koufos or R. Lopez for less then Hibbert and more importantly locking a center in for a few years to develop with the team.

Water under the bridge at this point. But IMO the Lakers wasted time and energy chasing the long shots. We had this discussion repeatedly before free agency started.

IMO the strategy should have been to fill the biggest needs first. To build a competitive team. Then chase the elites next year. Obviously the Lakers did not agree.

The NBA is dominated by superstars not role players. It is essential to go after superstars until you get one or draft one IMO. Bass Hibbert and Williams are solid additions anyways. If I was the lakers I would continue to go after the superstars every summer until they get one. Not gonna win with a bunch of good role players. Not in the playoffs at least.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

I'm ok with the Lakers not paying 10m to guys like Aminu/Afflalo. Aminu can't shoot, and Afflalo is on his decline. I'd rather wait until 2016 to sign guys who are in their mid 20s and entering their primes than overpay those two kind of players.

We still will have a hole at SF, but it's not like we are winning the championship this year.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:25 am    Post subject:

For better or worse, the Lakers will approach free agency by stating that the biggest "position" need is a star, regardless of actual position on the court.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject:

I think the lakers have slotted Kobe or N young to be starting 3 depending on how far Russell comes and wheter he is able to start.

N young if he can play average defense he can play off of the other 3/4 playmakers in starting lineup. I actually prefer n young at 3 then kobe at 3
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Its not about them becoming good defenders. What we need is defensive schemes to help funnel the ball handler to our center. Russell has shown the ability to play defense and he seems to have a knack of getting his hands on the ball. He doesn't always stay in front of his man but he recovers well using his size and long arms.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: