Vitti retiring at end of season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:04 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
mirak wrote:
My enduring Vitti memory - watching our trainer attend to a bleeding Magic Johnson without using universal precautions.

makes who wonder how clueless that guy might really be lol

Oy ve.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:55 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
mirak wrote:
My enduring Vitti memory - watching our trainer attend to a bleeding Magic Johnson without using universal precautions.

Sigh. He intentionally did that because everyone was scared (bleep)less about what would happen if Magic bled on court. One of the better moments of any trainer anywhere.
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:58 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
mirak wrote:

Not many people know anything about HIV at that time.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:57 am    Post subject:

I hope we replace him with people who actually live in the modern world
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:38 am    Post subject:

I think once their new state of the art training facilty is built, their gonna start overhauling their whole training/medical staff as well.. Hopefully they can start being phoenix like.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:26 am    Post subject:

As much as we joke at his expense, he's been a Lakers legend and has been with us through so many great eras. I wish the best for him.

Put a statute of him in the...training room?
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:58 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
mirak wrote:

Sigh. He intentionally did that because everyone was scared (bleep)less about what would happen if Magic bled on court. One of the better moments of any trainer anywhere.

Still not a smart move touching, yes, and everything worked out but medically speaking pretty careless
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject:

Well let's hope for not much of a farewell tour for Vitti in his final year. The less we see him, the better!
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:18 am    Post subject:

No more leeches
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:23 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
mirak wrote:

I get the reason behind it, but to risk your own health just to prove a point is dumb, especially for someone works in healthcare field (sort of)
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:26 am    Post subject:

Is this the beginning of a change of the great old guard? I know Mitch re-upped but he may be gone after this contract is up too.
DrumR
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:40 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Wish Vitti the best. The past seasons have been rough. Randle might have been the straw that broke the camel's back.

Looking to the future, I hope the team embraces all the latest attempts to help prevent injuries by looking at analytics, biometric testing, etc. ... especially with their new training facility under construction, getting a new cutting edge, tech savvy staff to go with it would usher in the next era.

This 10X. This is where all that extra m oney we can't spend should come into play. Call ESPN's Sports Science crew and tell them they can run the science side of our franchise. Throw some money around. Give them a black card and the blueprints for our new training facility. Then get the hell out the way. Hopefully in a few years we can stop talking about Phoenix and how the LA players never get hurt.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject:

1. New training staff.

2. New analytics staff.

We are on the precipice of being "new." As much as I respect the old guard, including Kobe, the team is ready to turn a new page in the next year or so.
DrumR
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:42 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
mirak wrote:

Oy ve.

That moment when trolling exposes extreme ignorance.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:21 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
mirak wrote:

I get the reason behind it, but to risk your own health just to prove a point is dumb, especially for someone works in healthcare field (sort of)

I think Vitti realized he was not risking his health... that is, there were no means of transmission even without the precautions. and the personal relationship between him and Magic should also be considered.

from a professional standpoint, I understand that it really looked very bad how a professional was not acting accordingly.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:34 am    Post subject:

If the Lakers don't get with the times and upgrade some of their archaic philosophies, teams will be running circles around us every season. We'll also shorten the development of some of our young talent. It's just a major lose-lose situation for us.

I agree with the comments about upgrading the analytics and training departments. Maybe looking into Dean Oliver would be a good start for them.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject:

I'm really pretty stunned at the "it was dumb" responses regarding Vitti treating Magic's cut...in 2015. HIV isn't transmitted by scratches and minor cuts. There has to be an exchange of bodily fluids.

Last edited by GoldenThroat on Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:44 am    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
Still not a smart move touching, yes, and everything worked out but medically speaking pretty careless

Bottom line is Vitti saw Magic in a situation which might give fuel to the people who didn't want to see him come back, and he took it upon himself to not leave Magic all alone on the island. You could argue that it was careless, but Vitti knew good and well what he was doing. Even if he felt the risk was extremely low (or virtually nil), it took courage to do what he did. And I don't see how you can chastise someone for that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject:

There's a reason why Vitti appears to be universally loved and admired by the Lakers. It took tremendous courage and loyalty for Vitti to do what he did with Magic, even at the cost of his professional reputation.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

Bottom line is Vitti saw Magic in a situation which might give fuel to the people who didn't want to see him come back, and he took it upon himself to not leave Magic all alone on the island. You could argue that it was careless, but Vitti knew good and well what he was doing. Even if he felt the risk was extremely low (or virtually nil), it took courage to do what he did. And I don't see how you can chastise someone for that.

Vitti would have had to give himself an open wound, then open up Magic's wound (which was a cut that wasn't bleeding), and then they would have had to rub those wounds together or something for Vitti to be at risk. There has to be an exchange of bodily fluids. He wasn't taking any risk at all by doing what he was doing.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

Vitti would have had to give himself an open wound, then open up Magic's wound (which was a cut that wasn't bleeding), and then they would have had to rub those wounds together or something for Vitti to be at risk. There has to be an exchange of bodily fluids. He wasn't taking any risk at all by doing what he was doing.

IIRC he had read up on the then-latest info about HIV. Didn't he talk with Dr. David Ho about this when Magic was diagnosed? I will always love Vitti for what he did with Magic, Lord knows Magic needed a friend at his lowest point.
Fastbreak32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject:

So can we just go ahead and buy the Phoenix training staff now?

"...there was a time when the Israelites were wandering in the desert and all of a sudden, bread came down from heaven,” Pelinka said. “That’s kind of what today feels like for us to have KCP join.”
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:

IIRC he had read up on the then-latest info about HIV. Didn't he talk with Dr. David Ho about this when Magic was diagnosed? I will always love Vitti for what he did with Magic, Lord knows Magic needed a friend at his lowest point.

Yes. This was an era where people were worried that you could transmit it through sweat, but Vitti actually did his job and educated himself on it. The fact that people STILL look back on that as being foolish, despite knowing what we know now, is mind boggling to me.
purple8goldvanessa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:

like chic, gary will be missed.
thanks for all those years dr. vitti
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Vitti would have had to give himself an open wound, then open up Magic's wound (which was a cut that wasn't bleeding), and then they would have had to rub those wounds together or something for Vitti to be at risk.

While this is common knowledge now, in that era it was not. Public opinion said otherwise. It took courage to take that leap of faith.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: