Mitch envisions Russell & Clarkson Backcourt growing together for next 12 Years
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Mitch envisions Russell & Clarkson Backcourt growing together for next 12 Years

http://bit.ly/1LNH9QY

Quote:
The pinpoint passes he threw and his confident on-court presence gave D’Angelo Russell the edge over all the other draft prospects the Lakers evaluated. His prolific scoring and insatiable thirst for self-improvement ensured Jordan Clarkson a positive impression among his Lakers teammates, coaches and trainers. Combined together, it appears Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak cannot help but think about good things that will transcend into the franchise’s long-term future.

“Our vision would be that both of those players play together in the backcourt for 10-12 years,” Kupchak said recently on SiriusXM NBA Radio with Brian Geltzeiler and Rick Mahorn. “That’s what we’re hoping for. We don’t look at them as players that can’t play with each other or have to play with somebody else. We think they can play together.”

Yes, the Lakers believe Russell and Clarkson are a perfect match in the backcourt for a few reasons. Russell thrives as a passer, while Clarkson as a scorer. Both Russell and Clarkson could ease Kobe Bryant’s workload and create more space for him in what will mark his 20th and perhaps final NBA season. Both Russell and Clarkson appear determined to perfect their craft amid endless work, learning and self criticism.

“D’Angelo is a young, up and coming player. But I don’t know how much he’s going to play this year,” Kupchak said. “I don’t know if he’ll start. I don’t know if he’ll come off the bench. There’s really a lot we don’t know other than he’s a heck of a prospect. A lot of that is going to depend on how much he works and how hard he works and the progress that he makes between now and the beginning of the season.”

“We were not a very good team, but he showed great promise in NBA games,” Kupchak said of Clarkson. “We think he’s going to be a terrific player. But he has to prove it for another season on hopefully a team that is going to be better, and not just a bad team.”

Of course, one important variable could involve Kobe Bryant both because of his talent, ball dominance and demanding expectations.

Clarkson reported loving Bryant’s tough love. Bryant may have embarrassed Clarkson on a step-back jumper during training camp that caused him to fall down on the ground. But Bryant also enthusiastically gave Clarkson tips from the sideline and in film sessions.

Russell gushed about learning from Bryant. The two already touched base shortly after the Lakers drafted Russell with their second overall pick. Russell also maintained he would soak in all of Bryant’s lessons, whether it entails reduced ball handling and shots, prolonged workouts and verbal lashings from the Lakers’ star.

“Kobe doesn’t really treat rookies very well,” Kupchak said. “That’s not unusual. A lot of veterans, when rookies come to a team, especially if the veteran has been around for a while, it’s like, ‘You have to earn my respect.’ The first two or three weeks of training camp, it is incumbent on the rookies to go out and earn Kobe’s respect.”

How do they do that?

“In every drill, every practice and every sprint, if Kobe’s healthy, he’s going to be leading the pack,” Kupchak said. “He will test our rookies and our young players to keep up with him. Whether it’s a shooting drill, scrimmage of 4-on-4 or even a sprint at the end of practice, Kobe will lead the way. It will be up to the players, especially the rookies, that they belong. One they’ve shown they belong and earned their respect, then the relationship takes off.”

Then, Russell and Clarkson can make the slow steps toward creating memories that Kupchak lasts for over a decade.

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:06 am    Post subject:

Interesting that Mitch has no idea if Russell can start that explains why they were going after Ty Lawson.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:07 am    Post subject:

Not the usual politically correct responses by Mitch.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject:

K0BEE 2.0 wrote:
Interesting that Mitch has no idea if Russell can start that explains why they were going after Ty Lawson.

u know how to read and comprehend? he said it both ways. he doesnt know if he can start or come off the bench
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject:

I would like it too, but I do see that this hope is fraught with conflict, due to the Lakers looking at certain FAs down the line:

2016: possibly Conley
2017: Westbrook

While I do believe Mitch hopes that the young duo will grow old together, he also wouldn't hesitate IMO to add these guys if they wanted to be Lakers (more so Westbrook as Conley isn't a "star").
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:21 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I would like it too, but I do see that this hope is fraught with conflict, due to the Lakers looking at certain FAs down the line:

While I do believe Mitch hopes that the young duo will grow old together, he also wouldn't hesitate IMO to add these guys if they wanted to be Lakers (more so Westbrook as Conley isn't a "star").

I think Mitch will be hunting for wings in the next off seasons. That is dependent on how well Russell and Clarkson play of course.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject:

We've got a bright future with both of these guys. Sucks we're not guaranteed our pick next year, but miracles do happen lol

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
purple8goldvanessa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject:

pretty standard gm talk
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think Mitch will be hunting for wings in the next off seasons. That is dependent on how well Russell and Clarkson play of course.

Of course. I have Batum and/or DeRozan as the Lakers most realistic targets next summer. But we also have another slot to go for a guy like Conley if the Lakers were interested as well, though I think he's less of a priority now.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

westbrook yes but I think conley is just wishful thinking.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
The Grind wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Of course. I have Batum and/or DeRozan as the Lakers most realistic targets next summer. But we also have another slot to go for a guy like Conley if the Lakers were interested as well, though I think he's less of a priority now.

Along with those names, I'd like us to go after Robert Covington in a trade before the trade deadline this upcoming season.

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

westbrook yes but I think conley is just wishful thinking.

Of course, but so is any major free agent acquisition. Even Westbrook may be wishful thinking, and the Lakers would likely take what's a given over a hypothetical move down the road.
SaintStephen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:41 am    Post subject:

I don't love the idea of a Conley pursuit unless there are other corresponding moves. Just don't think it makes us that much better by itself.

Westbrook, I don't care what the situation is. Gotta get this guy in purple and gold.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:43 am    Post subject:

SaintStephen wrote:
I don't love the idea of a Conley pursuit unless there are other corresponding moves. Just don't think it makes us that much better by itself.

Westbrook, I don't care what the situation is. Gotta get this guy in purple and gold.

We have Randle, a guy the FO really likes, yet pursued LMA (PF) as our #1 guy. It's not like the Lakers will disregard talent b/c a 2nd year player is there (it may be the other way around where a guy like Conley sees that DLO is the future PG).
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject:

I do think we have a realistic shot at Westbrook when he becomes a free agent. However, who's to say he doesn't get traded to the Lakers before then if he refuses to sign with OKC? What if he continues to have health issues with his knees and Clarkson continues to ascend as a basketball talent? What if Durant re-signs and Westbrook wants to continue playing with Durant in OKC?

There are a lot of variables involved and only time will tell; I'm definitely worried about acquiring an injury riddled Westbrook who relies so heavily on athleticism. I don't think he'll age very well, IMO.
SaintStephen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
SaintStephen wrote:

We have Randle, a guy the FO really likes, yet pursued LMA (PF) as our #1 guy. It's not like the Lakers will disregard talent b/c a 2nd year player is there (it may be the other way around where a guy like Conley sees that DLO is the future PG).

Pretty sure they intended for Aldridge to play C. Otherwise they'd start Black or Sacre?

Plus, I don't think it's disregarding talent, I just don't think Conley is quite good enough (or maybe better put, better enough than Clarkson) to move the needle much. As I said, I think it would require other moves along with signing Conley, i.e. signing another top free agent wing or big, and likely trading one of the other guards for another wing or big on top of that. And besides all that, I really don't think Conley is looking to leave Memphis. That organization really coddled him a lot, gave him many, many chances to fail as a young player, and put a lot of faith in him by signing him to an extension that was universally mocked as an overpay at the time.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:03 am    Post subject:

I don't see Conley as an option at all. Clarkson and Russell both have as much and better potential. Westbrook is the only real FA that I think the FO will go after.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
I don't see Conley as an option at all. Clarkson and Russell both have as much and better potential. Westbrook is the only real FA that I think the FO will go after.

I think we agree in theory.

My only point is that if he was willing, the Lakers would certainly entertain it.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject:

After watching the two play in the summer league I am skeptical as to how well they will mesh. Both players need the ball in their hands so it will be interesting to see how that dynamic works itself out
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject:

RusselDoeee01 wrote:
After watching the two play in the summer league I am skeptical as to how well they will mesh. Both players need the ball in their hands so it will be interesting to see how that dynamic works itself out

I get the feeling Clarkson will be moved within the next few seasons.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:

I get the feeling Clarkson will be moved within the next few seasons.
I get that feeling too. Once his stock is high, he'll be packaged for a top player in his prime.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject:

Man if they grow for 12 years they'll be 8 foot tall
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mitch envisions Russell & Clarkson Backcourt growing together for next 12 Years

Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:
The pinpoint passes he threw and his confident on-court presence gave D’Angelo Russell the edge over all the other draft prospects the Lakers evaluated. His prolific scoring and insatiable thirst for self-improvement ensured Jordan Clarkson a positive impression among his Lakers teammates, coaches and trainers. Combined together, it appears Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak cannot help but think about good things that will transcend into the franchise’s long-term future.

“Our vision would be that both of those players play together in the backcourt for 10-12 years,” Kupchak said recently on SiriusXM NBA Radio with Brian Geltzeiler and Rick Mahorn. “That’s what we’re hoping for. We don’t look at them as players that can’t play with each other or have to play with somebody else. We think they can play together.”

Yes, the Lakers believe Russell and Clarkson are a perfect match in the backcourt for a few reasons. Russell thrives as a passer, while Clarkson as a scorer. Both Russell and Clarkson could ease Kobe Bryant’s workload and create more space for him in what will mark his 20th and perhaps final NBA season. Both Russell and Clarkson appear determined to perfect their craft amid endless work, learning and self criticism.

“D’Angelo is a young, up and coming player. But I don’t know how much he’s going to play this year,” Kupchak said. “I don’t know if he’ll start. I don’t know if he’ll come off the bench. There’s really a lot we don’t know other than he’s a heck of a prospect. A lot of that is going to depend on how much he works and how hard he works and the progress that he makes between now and the beginning of the season.”

“We were not a very good team, but he showed great promise in NBA games,” Kupchak said of Clarkson. “We think he’s going to be a terrific player. But he has to prove it for another season on hopefully a team that is going to be better, and not just a bad team.”

Of course, one important variable could involve Kobe Bryant both because of his talent, ball dominance and demanding expectations.

Clarkson reported loving Bryant’s tough love. Bryant may have embarrassed Clarkson on a step-back jumper during training camp that caused him to fall down on the ground. But Bryant also enthusiastically gave Clarkson tips from the sideline and in film sessions.

Russell gushed about learning from Bryant. The two already touched base shortly after the Lakers drafted Russell with their second overall pick. Russell also maintained he would soak in all of Bryant’s lessons, whether it entails reduced ball handling and shots, prolonged workouts and verbal lashings from the Lakers’ star.

“Kobe doesn’t really treat rookies very well,” Kupchak said. “That’s not unusual. A lot of veterans, when rookies come to a team, especially if the veteran has been around for a while, it’s like, ‘You have to earn my respect.’ The first two or three weeks of training camp, it is incumbent on the rookies to go out and earn Kobe’s respect.”

How do they do that?

“In every drill, every practice and every sprint, if Kobe’s healthy, he’s going to be leading the pack,” Kupchak said. “He will test our rookies and our young players to keep up with him. Whether it’s a shooting drill, scrimmage of 4-on-4 or even a sprint at the end of practice, Kobe will lead the way. It will be up to the players, especially the rookies, that they belong. One they’ve shown they belong and earned their respect, then the relationship takes off.”

Then, Russell and Clarkson can make the slow steps toward creating memories that Kupchak lasts for over a decade.
Love Kobe.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:06 am    Post subject:

Only 12 years? Mitch is such a hater, should have draft Okafor
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Mitch envisions Russell & Clarkson Backcourt growing together for next 12 Years

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Quote:

How do they do that?

Love Kobe.

Let's hope that whatever physical "leading" Kobe will be trying to do at age 38 will be easily exceeded by the young players. There'll be little hope for the season if Kobe's again the best athlete and most intense competitor on the floor. No excuse.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9
Jump to: