Mitch envisions Russell & Clarkson Backcourt growing together for next 12 Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
It was a little before my time, but didn't Nixon have trouble meshing with Magic?
I went on basketball reference and noticed Magic averaged 9 assists per game his first 4 years in the league (playing next to Nixon), which is a low number for him in terms of assists. After Nixon was traded, Magic's assist numbers jumped to 13 per game for the next 8 seasons! Can't deny Magic and Nixon's success together though, since they won rings 2 out of those 4 years. However, the addition of Byron Scott have Magic more of a defined role and made his stats just jump through the roof, and of course they went on to win 3 more rings. I'm sure Nixon wasn't too happy either with his shooting guard getting more assists than him.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:06 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Clarkson to me is the classic 3rd guard/spark plug you bring off the bench. Perhaps Mitch is just blowing smoke for the fans, but a lot of his comments come off naive and a tad clueless.

I think so too. And nothing wrong with that. Few teams would have that great of a player to play both positions, would be a tremendous asset IMO, like a guard version of Lamar who was instrumental to our last rings.

David Aldridge agrees with you guys and said as much in the summer league.

I think his potential role is higher than that. This kid has the moxie to be a closer. I see him as a starting guard for sure

So was Lamar, but it was almost an embarrassment of riches to have Pau, Bynum, Odom. We may come to another great era where we have DLO, star guard, and Clarkson, and we have Clarkson as our super sub. As long as we win I'm good.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:15 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
Clarkson to me is the classic 3rd guard/spark plug you bring off the bench. Perhaps Mitch is just blowing smoke for the fans, but a lot of his comments come off naive and a tad clueless.

I think so too. And nothing wrong with that. Few teams would have that great of a player to play both positions, would be a tremendous asset IMO, like a guard version of Lamar who was instrumental to our last rings.

I think his potential role is higher than that. This kid has the moxie to be a closer. I see him as a starting guard for sure

So was Lamar, but it was almost an embarrassment of riches to have Pau, Bynum, Odom. We may come to another great era where we have DLO, star guard, and Clarkson, and we have Clarkson as our super sub. As long as we win I'm good.

not seeing the lamar comparisons. That was roster based and he was still in during closing time. Clarkson is a lot more focued than lamar (so far)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
22 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
greenfrog wrote:

not seeing the lamar comparisons. That was roster based and he was still in during closing time. Clarkson is a lot more focued than lamar (so far)

My point is that Lamar could have started on most of the teams during his time with the Lakers. He didn't like it at first but when he accepted it, the team was better for it. Plus, he closed out games too. It's not the focus I'm focusing on, but having an amazing bench along with a starter who would obviously have to be better than him to move Clarkson to the bench.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject:

The Russell/Clarkson duo would work if JC becomes a 38+% knock down 3 point shooter and if he really embraces playing off the ball.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject:

well yeah if it comes to that then great. But we're a far ways off from that.

I'm speaking on the subject of is Clarkson a starting guard or is he a 6th man? I say starting guard.

For example, guys like Lou Williams or Isaiah Thomas will likely be 6th men irrespective of what teams they play on or if they are more talented than the starting guards on their teams.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:33 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

I'm speaking on the subject of is Clarkson a starting guard or is he a 6th man? I say starting guard.

For example, guys like Lou Williams or Isaiah Thomas will likely be 6th men irrespective of what teams they play on or if they are more talented than the starting guards on their teams.
Yeah I think he could be a starting PG in the nba. I think he's better then what Indiana, Sac, Philly, Charlotte, Brooklyn, New York and whoever else I'm leaving out currently got.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
22 wrote:

Yeah I think he could be a starting PG in the nba. I think he's better then what Indiana, Sac, Philly, Charlotte, Brooklyn, New York and whoever else I'm leaving out currently got.

agreed
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:38 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
scoobs wrote:
22 wrote:

agreed
That being said, unfortunatly he's not a starting PG on our team because we have Russell, who is better. So, where does that leave us?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:48 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
22 wrote:
scoobs wrote:
22 wrote:

agreed
That being said, unfortunatly he's not a starting PG on our team because we have Russell, who is better. So, where does that leave us?

I have Russell as the playmaking SG, so it's not an issue for me
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:27 pm    Post subject:

I don't see how people think Clarkson is just a 3rd PG or off the bench player. Clarkson's skillset is in line with guys like Tony Parker and Montae Ellis. And I'm sure that's what Mitch sees in Clarkson too. I mean people actually calling Mitch naive because he believes in Clarkson? So that must mean he's naive for calling Russell a potential star right? Or is it only when Mitch says something you disagree with that he's naive and clueless?

Look Clarkson has been proving people wrong since he was giving the starting job. You can keep underestimating him but he's not going to stop getting better.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject:

When Clarkson continues to ball out, it's going to make me want to quote people who call him a 6th man and say that's why you're not a GM.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
I don't see how people think Clarkson is just a 3rd PG or off the bench player. Clarkson's skillset is in line with guys like Tony Parker and Montae Ellis. And I'm sure that's what Mitch sees in Clarkson too. I mean people actually calling Mitch naive because he believes in Clarkson? So that must mean he's naive for calling Russell a potential star right? Or is it only when Mitch says something you disagree with that he's naive and clueless?

Look Clarkson has been proving people wrong since he was giving the starting job. You can keep underestimating him but he's not going to stop getting better.

Like you and Mitch I think the sky is the limit for Clarkson
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:44 pm    Post subject:

I love the work he puts in...he said he would 'take a week off,' after SL and go right back at it in the gym. The next step is developing his 3-point shot.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
When Clarkson continues to ball out, it's going to make me want to quote people who call him a 6th man and say that's why you're not a GM.

Hmm. You must have said the same about Lamar Odom.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Ok so what? You want to apply the case of Lamar Odom across the board? That is a little ridiculous.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Ok so what? You want to apply the case of Lamar Odom across the board? That is a little ridiculous.

No. The notion of a guy who is qualified to be a starter but the team and the player putting winning before individual goals isn't something that's alien to the Lakers.
Agent P
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject:

I see Clarson/Russell as the Pau/Bynum and we can still find the LO super sub, although we may already have it in Lou Williams.

Dang, I can't wait for the season to start!
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:35 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

No. The notion of a guy who is qualified to be a starter but the team and the player putting winning before individual goals isn't something that's alien to the Lakers.

Well yeah but according to that logic anyone on the team could be put on the bench including Russell. I just feel like Clarkson is single'd out as 6th man potential max to some people and that's unfair to him. He's shown he can be more than that.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

Well yeah but according to that logic anyone on the team could be put on the bench including Russell. I just feel like Clarkson is single'd out as 6th man potential max to some people and that's unfair to him. He's shown he can be more than that.

Which may happen this year. I'm not as invested in one player as some here are.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

I don't mind Clarkson coming off the bench if there is a better starter out there but to me he's better than a lot of options already out there.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Rivershow wrote:

I don't mind Clarkson coming off the bench if there is a better starter out there but to me he's better than a lot of options already out there.

I think David Aldridge was saying for later down the road. This year I would go with DLO and Clarkson.
Rivershow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I think David Aldridge was saying for later down the road. This year I would go with DLO and Clarkson.

It depends on who we get. Westbrook would move Clarkson to the bench, but a guy like Derozan shouldn't. Clarkson going to the bench isn't as automatic as Aldridge made it out to be.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Rivershow wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

It depends on who we get. Westbrook would move Clarkson to the bench, but a guy like Derozan shouldn't. Clarkson going to the bench isn't as automatic as Aldridge made it out to be.

Of course. That's a given though if the Lakers ended up getting DRoz I highly doubt they bench him for Clarkson. Depends on DLO too but the FO's pride is on the line and DLO Is the golden child.
EldenCampbell
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Mitch envisioned Dwight Howard's name in the rafters in ten years.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9
Jump to: