Mitch envisions Russell & Clarkson Backcourt growing together for next 12 Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject:

I honestly feel the we would be better off with a shooter next to Russell in the back court, like what they have going at Golden State. Especially this season with Kobe at the 3. That shooter could be JBrown, Williams or Young. I like JC, he has a chance to be a real good starting nba point guard some where, probably not here though.
SaintStephen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
I honestly feel the we would be better off with a shooter next to Russell in the back court, like what they have going at Golden State. Especially this season with Kobe at the 3. That shooter could be JBrown, Williams or Young. I like JC, he has a chance to be a real good starting nba point guard some where, probably not here though.

I somewhat agree; at the very least, I would like to see Clarkson really work hard on cuts, spot up shooting, and other off-ball activities. Not that he can't necessarily do those things, but focusing on them more would really help his fit with Russell.

Regardless of whether he improves as a spot-up shooter though, I still think they can work really well together. Maybe not a truly perfect fit, but having multiple deadly ballhandlers is not a bad thing.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:35 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:
After watching the two play in the summer league I am skeptical as to how well they will mesh. Both players need the ball in their hands so it will be interesting to see how that dynamic works itself out

I get the feeling Clarkson will be moved within the next few seasons.

I do too
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
ocho wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:
After watching the two play in the summer league I am skeptical as to how well they will mesh. Both players need the ball in their hands so it will be interesting to see how that dynamic works itself out

I do too
The thing is, he is going to be a restricted free agent after this season. So we might have to pay him upwards if 15-20 million per year to be a piece that isn't the best fit next to Russell. He is an asset.
SaintStephen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:15 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
ocho wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:

I do too
The thing is, he is going to be a restricted free agent after this season. So we might have to pay him upwards if 15-20 million per year to be a piece that isn't the best fit next to Russell. He is an asset.

He can only get offers from other teams up to the MLE, so if he makes $15-20m it will be because the Lakers decide to give it to him. They can't be forced into it.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject:

I'm interested in seeing russell lou and swaggy lineup.

Russell and clarkson need a lot of work together.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
We've got a bright future with both of these guys. Sucks we're not guaranteed our pick next year, but miracles do happen lol

Lakers miss the playoffs by one game in a 45-47 win season, Lakers pull a miracle in the lottery and jump from last lottery pick to number 1 pick (I think this happened to the Hornets almost 20 years or so ago). Then they draft Ben Simmons.

D'Angelo Russell
Jordan Clarkson
Ben Simmons
Julius Randle

The dream.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:07 pm    Post subject:

SaintStephen wrote:
scoobs wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
ocho wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:

I do too

He can only get offers from other teams up to the MLE, so if he makes $15-20m it will be because the Lakers decide to give it to him. They can't be forced into it.
Why is that? Other teams can't give him an offer sheet?
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
ocho wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:

I do too

With the way free agency is setting up I'd agree. Combo guards like Clarkson are more readily available than pass first point guards. It's unfortunate because I haven't been this excited by a Laker prospect since Crittendon(who Clarkson reminds me of).
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Why are people skeptical of how the two will play together? They, like everyone else need time to mesh together. This whole thing is a process, it's the same thing with Russell adjusting with the offense and reading what the defenses are giving him. Both need time to learn how to play together.
PhoenixForce
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject:

Unless Clarkson becomes a much better defender (he was below average last season) I don't see him being with the Lakers for that long.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:
Why are people skeptical of how the two will play together? They, like everyone else need time to mesh together. This whole thing is a process, it's the same thing with Russell adjusting with the offense and reading what the defenses are giving him. Both need time to learn how to play together.
Right off the bat, I noticed Russell has good chemistry with Jabari Brown. He had some nice assists to JC too though, but JC might ultimately be better off as a starting PG some place else, or perhaps next to a good defensive point guard with a jump shot, which are hard to find. Worse case scenario, JC could be like a Lou Williams type player, which we already have.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject:

12 yr project?
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
SaintStephen wrote:
scoobs wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
ocho wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:

I do too

Arenas rule.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject:

West and Baylor round 2.
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:54 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
scoobs wrote:
SaintStephen wrote:
scoobs wrote:
JoJo Dancer wrote:
ocho wrote:
RusselDoeee01 wrote:

I do too

Arenas rule.
Thanks for the info Yinoma. Well, I guess that increases his trade value then, no?
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
West and Baylor round 2.
I think maybe those guys complemented eachother better. One was a shooter, the other a slasher. Baylor was an absolutely phenomenal Russell type passer. West was a guy that could shoot the lights out, so it would be kind of like if Russell had a guy like Steph Curry along side him?
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject:

Dragic/bledsoe are the better comparison than manu/parker. I'd be interested in seeing lou/russell/clarkson lineup. I'm assuming it would be like thomas/dragic/bledsoe was last season.
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:36 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Quote:
“D’Angelo is a young, up and coming player. But I don’t know how much he’s going to play this year,” Kupchak said. “I don’t know if he’ll start. I don’t know if he’ll come off the bench. There’s really a lot we don’t know other than he’s a heck of a prospect. A lot of that is going to depend on how much he works and how hard he works and the progress that he makes between now and the beginning of the season.”

There seems to be way too much that Mitch "doesn't know".

He doesn't know because he isn't the one that will be making those decisions. Byron is.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:02 am    Post subject:

Clarkson is the best player on the team and as Kevin Pelton mentioned he's about to get a huge contract. He's going to be playing alongside Russell in the backcourt for a longtime.
Iversondalivest1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject:

At this point, seeing what I've seen (and if it I have to absolutely choose one or the other), I'd keep Clarkson. I haven't seen anything to convince me that Russell is the better player or higher potential. I agree with Dave20 that Clarkson is the best player on the team based of off what I've seen and what've read about his work ethic.

Also, why are we proposing player moves based on what's best for Russell vice what's best for the team? I'm not a Russell hater, but I'm still not convinced he should be the focus of the team.
Iversondalivest1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:22 am    Post subject:

SaintStephen wrote:
scoobs wrote:

I somewhat agree; at the very least, I would like to see Clarkson really work hard on cuts, spot up shooting, and other off-ball activities. Not that he can't necessarily do those things, but focusing on them more would really help his fit with Russell.

Regardless of whether he improves as a spot-up shooter though, I still think they can work really well together. Maybe not a truly perfect fit, but having multiple deadly ballhandlers is not a bad thing.

Say whuut? We crowning Russell as the face of the Lakers already?
Iversondalivest1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject:

SaintStephen wrote:
scoobs wrote:

... however I do agree with they being able to work together. One is a penetrating typ G while the other is a shooter.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject:

The Logo wrote:

People like to overreact and overrate. Clarkson has shown some really good ability and Russell has tremendous upside but to act like these guys can't play together based off what we've seen in 5 game is the most idiotic logic.

If you had a prime Manu and prime Parker, what would happen?

The bottom line is Russell is not Magic. He's not Nash and he's not Kidd. He's not a guy you tell to go be a relentless play maker. Half his focus should be scoring and half his focus should be playmaker.

Clarkson is the same, have the time he should be on the ball and attacking and half the time he needs to learn to play off the ball and make things happen (which he has already shown he can).
Tony Anapolis
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject:

I happen to think Russell and Clarkson compliment each other nicely. They are a versatile frontcourt imo?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
Jump to: