Jordan Clarkson vs Monta Ellis
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject: Jordan Clarkson vs Monta Ellis

I think they are very similar players, with Clarkson having the edge in athleticism (though Ellis is no pushover there). Will Clarkson turn out to be as good as Ellis was in his peak?
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Jordan Clarkson vs Monta Ellis

I hope not

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:27 am    Post subject:

Clarkson reminds me more of Bledsoe than Ellis.
SaintStephen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:33 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I think this is a really good comp actually. Very similar players. I could even see Clarkson following a similar career arc where he initially gets labeled a good stats/bad team guy until he gets in a winning situation and contributes.
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Jordan Clarkson vs Monta Ellis

Mindripper2000 wrote:
I think they are very similar players, with Clarkson having the edge in athleticism (though Ellis is no pushover there). Will Clarkson turn out to be as good as Ellis was in his peak?

in half yr of play Clarkson has made passes that Monta can only think of.

spending time with nash can only help clarkson.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:35 am    Post subject:

Monte is a lot more polished on the offensive end. Clarkson doesn't have a reliable jumper
Captain America
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Jordan Clarkson vs Monta Ellis

Jim99187 wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Ellis is actually an underrated passer and Clarkson is surprisingly weak in the assists/court vision department. Given his ability to get by defenders, he should be able to get many more assists than he currently is doing. He may one day become a good passer but up til now I'm not sure he has the right mentality for it.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:18 am    Post subject:

^You basing that on summer league or the actual regular season where he was getting up to around 6-7 assists over the last month.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Jordan Clarkson vs Monta Ellis

Captain America wrote:
Jim99187 wrote:
Mindripper2000 wrote:

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Ellis is actually an underrated passer and Clarkson is surprisingly weak in the assists/court vision department. Given his ability to get by defenders, he should be able to get many more assists than he currently is doing. He may one day become a good passer but up til now I'm not sure he has the right mentality for it.

I think Monta is a decent passer. Had numerous seasons where he averaged 6 assists a game, though he scores much better than he passes. He's a SG in a PG body, but can play both positions well.

Jury is still out on Clarkson there, and Russell will probably be the primary playmaker. Would be able to better demonstrate his passing abilities on another team.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject:

Neither plays defense. Im hoping Clarkson seperates himself in that area this year.
Andre2K
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:56 am    Post subject:

Bad comparison. Ellis is 6'3 on a good day, a chucker who thinks he has it all. Clarkson is a legit 6'5 who has a chip on his shoulders, willing to learn and actually tried to play the point.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if Clarkson plays the point while setting up Russell at the 2 next season. Ellis was never that kind of a prospect, he has always been an instant offense kind of guy.

Clarkson is more similar to Westbrook than Ellis

Pg Lonzo
Sg Kawhi
Sf Ingram
Pf Lebron
C Dedmon

Bench: Caruso, Hart, Bullock, Kuzma, McGee etc

Last edited by Andre2K on Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:57 am    Post subject:

i do see the similarities between Monta and Jordan. But I feel jordan will be a much better player because of his 2" height and 5" reach advantage. Jordan will be a much better defender the monta ellis, that could lead to superstar status.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject:

We'll see. Hopefully, Nash and Kobe rub off on him. I think Clarkson is going to be a better three shooter than last season after working on his mechanics this summer. And I think he's going to be a better defender with the added strength.

He also has 1 more inch in height, 5 more inches in wingspan and 7 more inches in vert which added up projects as a different kind of finisher in the paint and better tools to defend. Definitely like the potential here better than a Monta and Clarkson puts in the work...so hopefully all that pans out to better impact.
Jbar805
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject:

I see him more as a Kareem.
The Logo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Monte is a lot more polished on the offensive end. Clarkson doesn't have a reliable jumper

Neither does Ellis. He's a career 31% three point shooter and shot 29% from three last season. Clarkson isn't much better, but he established himself as one of the better shooters pulling up from mid range last year.

As for answer to the OP, I can definitely see the similarities. I just hope that Clarkson becomes a better defender than Ellis. He has the metrics to do so, just depends on whether he's willing to put in the work.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Same player he reminds me of. More of early Ellis though, who would play off the ball more with Baron Davis.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject:

Jbar805 wrote:
I see him more as a Kareem.

Kareem Rush huh
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson is bigger, stronger, more athletic, and has better vision. Clarkson showed last year that he can play PG, Ellis can't. Both have scorers mentality but Clarkson is better in a lot of other areas.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
Bad comparison. Ellis is 6'3 on a good day, a chucker who thinks he has it all. Clarkson is a legit 6'5 who has a chip on his shoulders, willing to learn and actually tried to play it he point.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if Clarkson plays the point while setting up Russell at the 2 next season. Ellis was never that kind of a prospect, he has always been an instant offense kind of guy.

Clarkson is more similar to Westbrook than Ellis

Going by his career shooting percentage, which is nearly identical to Kobe's, I don't think Ellis was a player who chucked his team out of games; he was more of a volume scorer who put up empty stats and wasn't able to impact both ends of the floor. Kind of like big man Al Jefferson (Okafor is drawing comparisons to him).

I definitely see more defensive potential in Clarkson. Assuming they develop well, it will be fun watching Russell and Clarkson deny the passing lanes with their amazing length. Lots and lots of potential there.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Monta shot over 50% one year. He was also quicker and faster. The combine numbers are not a big deal. Monta came into the NBA at 18-19. Jordan was 22.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:31 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
Monta shot over 50% one year. He was also quicker and faster. The combine numbers are not a big deal. Monta came into the NBA at 18-19. Jordan was 22.

I've watched Monta live from close up early in his career. He's probably the fastest player I've ever seen. That said, with his size and work ethic, Clarkson's ceiling may be higher.
3peat_pete
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Sniper008 wrote:
Bad comparison. Ellis is 6'3 on a good day, a chucker who thinks he has it all. Clarkson is a legit 6'5 who has a chip on his shoulders, willing to learn and actually tried to play the point.

Jordan Clarkson PG 6' 3.25''

from NBA Draft Combine measurements. So no, he is not 6'5"
SaintStephen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject:

3peat_pete wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:

Jordan Clarkson PG 6' 3.25''

from NBA Draft Combine measurements. So no, he is not 6'5"

Measured out 6'5" in shoes, which is usually the height you go with in the NBA.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:17 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson seems like he is more of a triple threat to me than Ellis. But that's all based on potential so far.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:20 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:

That's true but in that season, nearly half of his shots were from inside of 3 feet.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: