Jordan Clarkson vs Monta Ellis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Has been a very good comparison for JC since he got drafted IMO. Clarkson is an inch taller and has a 5 inch advantage so he should become a better defender than Ellis.

I think people forget how good Ellis was in GS. Hopefully we can get a similar but more in control player out of JC in the coming years
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:33 pm    Post subject:

SaintStephen wrote:
3peat_pete wrote:
Sniper008 wrote:
Bad comparison. Ellis is 6'3 on a good day, a chucker who thinks he has it all. Clarkson is a legit 6'5 who has a chip on his shoulders, willing to learn and actually tried to play the point.

Jordan Clarkson PG 6' 3.25''

from NBA Draft Combine measurements. So no, he is not 6'5"

Measured out 6'5" in shoes, which is usually the height you go with in the NBA.

Yeah Ellis is 6'2 without shoes and his wing span is only 6'2.

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Monte is a lot more polished on the offensive end. Clarkson doesn't have a reliable jumper

Exactly, I think some people are forgetting exactly what stats Monta Ellis has put up in his NBA career. He ia a modern day Chris Jackson aka Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf.
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Monte is a lot more polished on the offensive end. Clarkson doesn't have a reliable jumper

Exactly, I think some people are forgetting exactly what stats Monta Ellis has put up in his NBA career. He ia a modern day Chris Jackson aka Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf.

Monta Ellis shot 28% from 3. Doesn't seem like his jump shot is anything to write about.

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Love&Peace wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Monta Ellis shot 28% from 3. Doesn't seem like his jump shot is anything to write about.

These are his career NBA stats:

http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/2751/monta-ellis

You may think 19.3 ppg on almost 46% shooting over 10 years is not something to be respected, but I feel otherwise.

He has also done it at a low turnover rate, granted on some bad teams but it itsn't like Clarkson's stats have impacted actually winning games either...even in summer league.

Peace out.
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:11 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Love&Peace wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

You may think 19.3 ppg on almost 46% shooting over 10 years is not something to be respected, but I feel otherwise.

He has also done it at a low turnover rate, granted on some bad teams but it itsn't like Clarkson's stats have impacted actually winning games either...even in summer league.

Peace out.

Hey thats my name. Yeah goods stats,but has a below avg 3pt shot and doesn't have clarkson height or wingspan. Also never won anything.

Idk if Clarkson turns out to be Ellis 2.0 I'll be disappointed.

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson's been compared to Westbrook and now Monta... personally I think he's most comparable to a young Derrick Rose both in style and demeanor. His jumpshot is still improving, which Rose developed after a couple of years in the league. But I think both rely on their quickness and ability to attack the basket and absorb contact in the paint. Rose is obviously much more solidly built (slightly shorter but heavier) but I think if Clarkson continues to add strength and improve his ability to finish he can actually be a dominant guard in the PnR.

Last edited by HAWAIIGUY27 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
SaintStephen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject:

Love&Peace wrote:
Hey thats my name. Yeah goods stats,but has a below avg 3pt shot and doesn't have clarkson height or wingspan. Also never won anything.

Idk if Clarkson turns out to be Ellis 2.0 I'll be disappointed.

Monta was the first option on a 50 win team just last year. He has averaged 25 ppg for a season with solid shooting. As for the height and wingspan... they do have the same standing reach somehow so I don't think it makes as big a difference as some are saying.

I agree with those who say Clarkson has the potential to be better than Ellis, but if Clarkson turns out to be Monta Ellis, that is IMO a great outcome for his career, an incredible value for the 46th pick, and a very valuable piece to try to contend with.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
Clarkson's been compared to Westbrook and now Monta... personally I think he's most comparable to a young Derrick Rose both in style and demeanor. His jumpshot is still improving, which Rose developed after a couple of years in the league. But I think both rely on their quickness and ability to attack the basket and absorb contact in the paint. Rose is obviously much more solidly built (slightly shorter but heavier) but I think if Clarkson continues to add strength and improve his ability to finish he can actually be a dominant guard in the PnR.

Don't totally agree on the Rose part given Derrick was a superstar many thought on the way to becoming to Magic what Bron is to Bird....

But I do agree in the PnR ability. Clarkson taking the lead and breaking down defenses with his ability to get to the basket will free up Russell to do all those spectacular things he does.

I see Russell in the Harden mold with some Nash to his game and I see JC is the Ellis mold with some Westbrook in his game. Not saying they will be on those levels but that's where their style of game lies...

If they click and don't force JC to stictly off ball and Russell strictly a passer, this duo can be dangerous. A defensive big like DJ and a scoring machine (KD) at small forward would be the perfect compliements to our young core.
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject:

The sites i looked at do say they have the same standing reach? Its wrong he definitely doesnt have the same standing reach as clarkson. I get your point though and im done arguing.

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
Happy213
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Clarkson actually reminds me of rose more then any other player. Not saying they're the same Caliber player
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:40 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:

Don't totally agree on the Rose part given Derrick was a superstar many thought on the way to becoming to Magic what Bron is to Bird....

But I do agree in the PnR ability. Clarkson taking the lead and breaking down defenses with his ability to get to the basket will free up Russell to do all those spectacular things he does.

I see Russell in the Harden mold with some Nash to his game and I see JC is the Ellis mold with some Westbrook in his game. Not saying they will be on those levels but that's where their style of game lies...

If they click and don't force JC to stictly off ball and Russell strictly a passer, this duo can be dangerous. A defensive big like Hibbert and a scoring machine (Kobe) at small forward would be the perfect compliements to our young core.

Fixed, sort of.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Sprewell minus the defense is my Clarkson comparison.
Love&Peace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:07 pm    Post subject:

I think he's more of a shaq without the weight and height.

Russell. Williams
Clarkson. JBrown
Kobe. Young
Randle. Bass
Hibbert. Black
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
Clarkson is bigger, stronger, more athletic, and has better vision. Clarkson showed last year that he can play PG, Ellis can't. Both have scorers mentality but Clarkson is better in a lot of other areas.
scott12199
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:55 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:

Bulls fan on youtube said he plays like Rose.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject:

scott12199 wrote:
2019 wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:

I think people get confused when comparisons get put out there. A Rose comparison doesn't mean that he will be a MVP candidate, or contend for the nba scoring title. What it means is that his style of play resembles Rose's style of play, which I can agree with. His game has grown in that direction with the slashing to the basket, mid range shots, and somewhat of a herky jerky athletic style. Looks like there will also be some posterization going on in his drives to the basket as well.

What I'm hoping doesn't happen is that Clarkson's rapid growth curve that he was on isn't stunted by the Lakers front office telling him to prepare for a future at sg. I think his growth at pg last year was so rapid that his ceiling at pg seems to be extremely high. I'm not sure he will be as dynamic a player if he's pigeon holed into the sg spot. I'm not sure if summer league is more of Clarkson wanting to test out his added muscle and moves he's been working on, or more of the mindset that his future is as a scoring 2 guard in this league. I really think he's being sold short here in a couple of areas. He looked like he was on the way to being a damn good pg in my eyes.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:48 am    Post subject:

Both DLO/Clarkson are new PGs who are essentially converted combo guards. I commend their transitions but I think DLO has the better chance to be a "PG," though I kind of don't like him playing the traditional PG role. I think he's better served running off screens, etc. where he is downright unstoppable when comes off it.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:14 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Love&Peace wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

Peace out.

Ellis stats are to be respected, comparing Clarkson to Ellis is not even close, Clarkson has potential, potential does not equal accomplishment, Ellis has accomplishment, Clarkson has accomplished nothing so far in his career.

Your post is accurate.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:45 am    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
scott12199 wrote:
2019 wrote:
HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:

I think people get confused when comparisons get put out there. A Rose comparison doesn't mean that he will be a MVP candidate, or contend for the nba scoring title. What it means is that his style of play resembles Rose's style of play, which I can agree with. His game has grown in that direction with the slashing to the basket, mid range shots, and somewhat of a herky jerky athletic style. Looks like there will also be some posterization going on in his drives to the basket as well.

What I'm hoping doesn't happen is that Clarkson's rapid growth curve that he was on isn't stunted by the Lakers front office telling him to prepare for a future at sg. I think his growth at pg last year was so rapid that his ceiling at pg seems to be extremely high. I'm not sure he will be as dynamic a player if he's pigeon holed into the sg spot. I'm not sure if summer league is more of Clarkson wanting to test out his added muscle and moves he's been working on, or more of the mindset that his future is as a scoring 2 guard in this league. I really think he's being sold short here in a couple of areas. He looked like he was on the way to being a damn good pg in my eyes.

Fair points... maybe I misread the post. I can see similarities in their game but just don't want people throwing Rose labels on him just yet. That said, my post agreed with how he should be used: PG

Russell is the SG and PG is Jordan.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject:

Since you asked--though different players and styles, very similar stats:

Per 36 min / overall

MontaEllis: 19.4/3.6/4.8/2.8 (AST)/.525 (TS%)/103/110 (ORtg/DRtg)/16.8 (PER)/.072 (WS/48)

Clarkson : 17.1/4.7/5.0/2.3 (AST)/.528 (TS%)/107/112 (ORtg/DRtg)/16.9 (PER)/.078 (WS/48)
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:04 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Since you asked--though different players and styles, very similar stats:

Per 36 min / overall

MontaEllis: 19.4/3.6/4.8/2.8 (AST)/.525 (TS%)/103/110 (ORtg/DRtg)/16.8 (PER)/.072 (WS/48)

Clarkson : 17.1/4.7/5.0/2.3 (AST)/.528 (TS%)/107/112 (ORtg/DRtg)/16.9 (PER)/.078 (WS/48)

those are some eerily close stats...
Jim99187
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:08 am    Post subject:

dont agree with Monta Ellis comparison but putting Clarkson in same sentence as Derrick Rose, WEstbrook is ludicrous
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:12 am    Post subject:

Jim99187 wrote:
dont agree with Monta Ellis comparison but putting Clarkson in same sentence as Derrick Rose, WEstbrook is ludicrous

Mitch Kupchak did it.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:13 am    Post subject:

Hopefully Clarkson will blossom into a star where teams than would compare players to HIS game
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: