Kobe will "probably" play some Power Forward - Byron Scott
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
sweet moses

This sounds all too familiar.

Mike Brown talked would go on and on about the versatility of his players (which was bs). His BS lineups got him canned:

http://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2012/11/13/3638206/how-mike-brown-shot-himself-in-the-foot

Fast forward to now and we have this mastermind of a coach talking about Kobe playing some PF.....he also thought Ryan Kelly playing SF was a good idea.

Yuck.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:24 am    Post subject:

"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:30 am    Post subject:

Well, there's further confirmation of Byron's lack of intuition in applying creative thinking.

Kobe is not built like Pierce in the body and legs; Pierce might be able to pull off the role at times, but I think there's near zero chance of good things happening with Kobe as a PF. This team's biggest handicap is its coach. Sigh ...
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:36 am    Post subject:

D'Antonio had Kobe playing PF at times and he is a basketball genius, so what's the problem.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:52 am    Post subject:

Irie wrote:
Maybe on the offensive end with Randle switching over to the SF spot and Kobe to the PF. Makes sense considering not a lot of players can figure out Kobes footwork. Then you have Randle who will more than likely eat up other SFs. Then switch back on defense. I don't think it's as cut throat as you all make it seem.

I'm glad you see that, however some of the geniuses here don't see it that way. This is going to be a selective assignment for Kobe which is what Scott is saying. Against certain teams or certain situations, I can see Kobe being very effective against PF because like you said his foot work is better than anyone on the Lakers.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject:

Lets say there is a such a situation were you want tho play an aging Kobe with diminishing D @ PF; BS really knows how to surprise the competition...say it to the press, lol...
Liam_x7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject:

Can someone fire this inept moron of a coach
a Power Forward?

Christ get me a drink.... or 10
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:10 am    Post subject:

Dear Jim

Please prove magic wrong and own up to your mistakes about the coaches you have personally hired. From Rudy t to mike brown to mike d and now Byron. See this is where you are different from ur father. Never mind the fact that you have dealt a trade veto from the David stern we won't count that against you but your personal involvement in basketball ops is what's hurting this franchise. Your dad was smart enough to take a step back and let jerry and Mitch run the show. Please let your gm run the team and hire and fire who they please they have more experience than you

Also Fire Byron Scott please And Hire Tom thibs
Math
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject:

Irie wrote:
Maybe on the offensive end with Randle switching over to the SF spot and Kobe to the PF. Makes sense considering not a lot of players can figure out Kobes footwork. Then you have Randle who will more than likely eat up other SFs. Then switch back on defense. I don't think it's as cut throat as you all make it seem.

I'm no Byron defender but I'll echo some comments on here that in certain situations against certain small ball lineups I can see it. Draymond, Jabari, Melo, H Barnes, etc.
bluehill
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject:

That doesn't sound old school to me. Was watching 1985 Lakers/Celts game 6 final game on NBA TV. The game was so much more post oriented - dump it in, throw it out, reposition, dump it back in. Guards didn't take wide-open shots. Not much penetration. Amazing how different the game is today although it has been 30 years so maybe not that surprising.

Maybe Byron is looking at some analytics because I don't he would come up with that idea based on his playing days.
Irie
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject:

SaintStephen wrote:
Irie wrote:

Positions are more of a defensive than offensive concept. If he just wanted to say Kobe will post up sometimes, well, he actually did say that. There was no need to throw in the additional "play four" comment.

I seriously doubt that he was talking about lineups with Randle in them when he made this comment.

Edit: Note that in the quote he's specifically talking about guarding people. i.e. defending the 4.

Well, offensive or defensive I don't see it as cut throat or rather, i don't over react to these type of comments. In the quote he specifically says, "certain teams." Conversation over. No he won't be defending Griffin or Draymond night in and out. In those situations it'd be Pierce and Klay when they play small ball. Other teams are doing it and when our head coach says he'll experiment with it, and basically saying "hey let's change some stuff up" hinting on change that everyone wants, this happens. Sigh...

It's just as crazy as saying a starting team consisting of no one taller than 6'8" will win a title and change the whole game... at the beginning of last season. Wait, wait, take it all in for a little.
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject:

All this Scott hate, why? Last season counts for nothing. Is he the greatest coach in the league, not currently, but he has accomplish good things in the past. In all fairness he has taken jobs that others would not touch, he likes to earn a paycheck, coaching teams that have very little talent sets him up for criticism, I get that.

I wish Scott nothing but success but does the current team have the right mix of talent? Management got nothing they wanted in the FA market, is that Scotts fault, or is it that players do not want o pay for the Jim Buss Lakers? I am not a Jim Buss fan but I wish Jim and Mitch nothing but he success, in want to feel that Laker pride again, there is nothing like winning Lakers championships.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:16 am    Post subject:

If I can try to enter Byron's head I think he saying he'll guard the worst offensive player on the court who isn't a center (maybe him too). The context of his statement appears to be all about defense.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
All this Scott hate, why? Last season counts for nothing. Is he the greatest coach in the league, not currently, but he has accomplish good things in the past. In all fairness he has taken jobs that others would not touch, he likes to earn a paycheck, coaching teams that have very little talent sets him up for criticism, I get that.

I wish Scott nothing but success but does the current team have the right mix of talent? Management got nothing they wanted in the FA market, is that Scotts fault, or is it that players do not want o pay for the Jim Buss Lakers? I am not a Jim Buss fan but I wish Jim and Mitch nothing but he success, in want to feel that Laker pride again, there is nothing like winning Lakers championships.

THIS!

People act like Byron could have done anything to change the outcome of last season. We were terrible with terrible talent and injuries. Simple as that.

People are like f the princeton offense blah blah when i guarantee most dont even know what the offense entails.

Byron is a LAKER and loves the franchise. I woudl rather have him at the helm than some random like MDA whom i never liked in the first place.

Lakers fans need to realize that not even Pop could have gotten this team to win last year
Jbar805
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject:

Byron Scott is the smartest coach we've ever had. GOAT
Irie
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject:

Jbar805 wrote:

Let me have a Crack at this,

Lin
Clarkson
Wesley
Boozer
Hill

CHAMPIONSHIP!
Voices
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:57 am    Post subject:

Irie wrote:
Jbar805 wrote:

Lin
Clarkson
Wesley
Boozer
Hill

CHAMPIONSHIP!

Yea, cover the eyes it could get ugly again. This current roster is a "mis mash" of talent, who is going to be the " gunner" or gunners that will destroy any chance to have a "team"?
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject:

I like it. I remember an article that had Kobe as the most efficient post player in the NBA a few years ago according to Synergy. Sounds crazy but I like Kobe's chances at PF better than at SF (part time). The SF's of today are really like wings on steroids. Kobe doesn't have the foot speed to keep up with them.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:05 am    Post subject:

why even bother, Kobe's gonna play the same way doesn't matter what position you penciled him in.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:08 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
Irie wrote:
Jbar805 wrote:

Lin
Clarkson
Wesley
Boozer
Hill

CHAMPIONSHIP!

Yea, cover the eyes it could get ugly again. This current roster is a "mis mash" of talent, who is going to be the " gunner" or gunners that will destroy any chance to have a "team"?

I'd say Bass, Randle and Hibbert are massive upgrades in the front court. Plus a full season of Tarik Black and Jordan Clarkson and better depth in the back court. They'll be more competitive than last year if they just have a reasonable amount of injuries, which they haven't had for 2 straight seasons.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
D'Antonio had Kobe playing PF at times and he is a basketball genius, so what's the problem.

I don't remember Kobe playing PF under MDA, aside from last second situations when you need a 3 and put all shooters on the court. Maybe I'm misremembering.
Irie
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
Irie wrote:
Jbar805 wrote:

Lin
Clarkson
Wesley
Boozer
Hill

CHAMPIONSHIP!

I'm just saying it's hard to win a race with a bummed leg and that's how I look at our roster last year. Make it two bummed legs and crawling. I don't care who your trainer is. Haha

This year is new so we start with fresh Usain bolt legs. Lol. I'm kidding. I'm just a half full guy and the negativity is awesome around here. We can't even give ourselves a tap on the back just keep kicking dirt on our own faces. Lol. Just amazing.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:

If we gave Byron the 2001 Lakers and he failed to win a championship, I would say definitely there's a problem. However you have to be a gutsy guy to take on Lin, Boozer, Hill, Johnson, and a broken down Kobe, and try to make it with that through a whole season. So Byron's love for the Lakers is so great that he's willing to take the fall for a lot of people, and that's what fans don't understand. His passion for the name in front of the jersey is great, and we should give him a chance when he has a better crew. If he fails then ok time to move one, but right now we have no idea what this year will be like. He will inherit a bunch of rookies, an unknown Kobe, and some 2nd tear players, the rest is junk. I think they will be better than last year but I'm very cautious as to what the outcome will be. He's thinking of all the possibilities and that is what a coach has to do.
It may turn out that Russell, and Clarkson are a total disaster, or a major player will sustain an injury that puts him down for weeks. For you coaches out there what next?
Easy to write crap when behind a computer.
Dave20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:19 am    Post subject:

I want to see Kobe stay healthy 1st. He hasn't been able to do that in 3 years. He doesn't need to be guarding PF's, he will break down quicker.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:22 am    Post subject:

Dave20 wrote:
I want to see Kobe stay healthy 1st. He hasn't been able to do that in 3 years. He doesn't need to be guarding PF's, he will break down quicker.

Kobe will break down quicker running around after guards, besides he's basically saying he may use him at PF in some situations. It's not like Kobe is going to start at PF.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: