Kobe will "probably" play some Power Forward - Byron Scott
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kobetimeeverytime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject:

Voices wrote:
All this Scott hate, why? Last season counts for nothing. Is he the greatest coach in the league, not currently, but he has accomplish good things in the past. In all fairness he has taken jobs that others would not touch, he likes to earn a paycheck, coaching teams that have very little talent sets him up for criticism, I get that.

I wish Scott nothing but success but does the current team have the right mix of talent? Management got nothing they wanted in the FA market, is that Scotts fault, or is it that players do not want o pay for the Jim Buss Lakers? I am not a Jim Buss fan but I wish Jim and Mitch nothing but he success, in want to feel that Laker pride again, there is nothing like winning Lakers championships.

in term of coaching?
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject:

This means he will have Randle as the sg. Hibbert will play some point guard to give russell some time at center, because Scott wants more parallels to magic
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
D'Antonio had Kobe playing PF at times and he is a basketball genius, so what's the problem.

I don't remember Kobe playing PF under MDA, aside from last second situations when you need a 3 and put all shooters on the court. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Don't recall it either. Truthfully, Kobe doesn't shoot the 3 well enough to play PF for MDA.
SaintStephen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
D'Antonio had Kobe playing PF at times and he is a basketball genius, so what's the problem.

I don't remember Kobe playing PF under MDA, aside from last second situations when you need a 3 and put all shooters on the court. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Don't recall it either. Truthfully, Kobe doesn't shoot the 3 well enough to play PF for MDA.

I looked at the lineup data from 82games, and Kobe played 15 total minutes in lineups where either he or Xavier Henry was the nominal PF under MDA. So yeah, it basically never happened.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Chalk it up to selective memories than. Vs Golden State he had Kobe playing the 4 on defense. And some other games. If I remember I'll find the dates for you. Of course the MDA fans are the ones who want to deny it. ..
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:05 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
Our coach isn't brightest guy. He says a lot of stupid things; this is one of those things that are just flat out stupid to say; that said, I don't expect to see this at all during the season.

that's quite an understatement.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:12 pm    Post subject:

Not at all a fan of Byron Scott, but am I the only one that doesn't think this is a huge deal?!

When we're playing teams that go super small, a Randle/Nance/Kelly whoever we put out there that is more a traditional 4 isn't getting it done, you might see some Kobe there.

I think he's just saying this to show people who he's down with the new school philosophy but it's so unbelievable in the same way that your grandpa saying "YOLO" or whatever just ... it doesn't feel right.
dahurricaneg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Since we are in the business of signing YMCA players. The PF thing makes sense.
SaintStephen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
Not at all a fan of Byron Scott, but am I the only one that doesn't think this is a huge deal?!

When we're playing teams that go super small, a Randle/Nance/Kelly whoever we put out there that is more a traditional 4 isn't getting it done, you might see some Kobe there.

I think he's just saying this to show people who he's down with the new school philosophy but it's so unbelievable in the same way that your grandpa saying "YOLO" or whatever just ... it doesn't feel right.

I don't think it's a big deal really, more of an oddity as you said. I don't think it would necessarily be a huge disadvantage to the team.

At the same time, I don't really see the point. I don't think it confers nearly enough advantages in terms of spacing, athleticism, or ball movement to offset the losses in size, rebounding, and rim protection.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:30 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Chalk it up to selective memories than. Vs Golden State he had Kobe playing the 4 on defense. And some other games. If I remember I'll find the dates for you. Of course the MDA fans are the ones who want to deny it. ..

I don't care enough to deny it. Frankly, I think you have to be creative in finding ways to hide Kobe on defense. If it disrupts the other team's offense by trying to expoilt a size mismatch with an unskilled guy who can't score I'm all for it.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject:

If the Lakers start off 1-10, how long will Scott last and who will replace him?
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
If the Lakers start off 1-10, how long will Scott last and who will replace him?

Not long; replaced by Golden Throat. And under that name....it'll be historic !!
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:

I do not find it a big deal either. Actually find it funny that it is a ESPN headline and creating hissy fits for so many.

I tend to like Scott more then most around here. I think he will do a good job as the roster continues to improve. IMO he can be the unifying figure to create a Laker identity going forward if given the chance to do so.

Nowhere in his comment do I see him stating Kobe will start or play major mpg at PF. I interpret it as a a possibility on rare occasions. With some of the small ball line-ups around the League I think it could happen. No big deal. Kobe is not going to be playing against the Griffins and Randolphs of the League. It will be the H. Barnes types. Or the stretch 4 types on the perimeter instead of in the paint.

Not an issue. Especially not as big as the media and fans seem to be making it.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject:

I think Scott was "probably" drunk when he said that.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I don't care enough to deny it. Frankly, I think you have to be creative in finding ways to hide Kobe on defense. If it disrupts the other team's offense by trying to expoilt a size mismatch with an unskilled guy who can't score I'm all for it.

People don't get that. Byron has always preached defense first, and Kobe has been the worst defender on the team who gets major minutes.

If we're in a tight game where we need Kobe's scoring, and the other team has a small PF who isn't an offensive threat, then I don't see the harm in putting Kobe on him. For a guy who always gets labeled "old school" and "out of touch" with modern basketball, I'd say that's a pretty progressive move.

I don't understand the Byron hate. People just associate him with the worst season in Laker history, but that was going to happen no matter who was coaching the team. They did not underachieve.
tirebiter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:16 am    Post subject:

always been a big fan of scott as a player, but never as a coach.

that being said - this is no big deal. i highly doubt he's even thought a second about it before being asked about it. he just answered a question to answer a question without saying "i don't know".

he has no idea what he's talking about, and what it would mean to play kobe at the 4, at his age, with his injury history.

he said bunch of things last summer but how he actually played out the season was pretty different from what he said he would do during the summer, so i wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

i still don't believe in him as a coach but that has more to do with what he actually does during the season than what he says in off-season.
Peoples Hernandez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Byron play too much...

"It's all entertainment" -Rasheed Wallace
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:07 pm    Post subject:

yes very good idea... Play Kobe at PF, and play Randle at SF.... maybe move Clarkson to C at times too!
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:29 pm    Post subject:

tirebiter wrote:
always been a big fan of scott as a player, but never as a coach.

that being said - this is no big deal. i highly doubt he's even thought a second about it before being asked about it. he just answered a question to answer a question without saying "i don't know".

he has no idea what he's talking about, and what it would mean to play kobe at the 4, at his age, with his injury history.

he said bunch of things last summer but how he actually played out the season was pretty different from what he said he would do during the summer, so i wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

i still don't believe in him as a coach but that has more to do with what he actually does during the season than what he says in off-season.

In my opinion he was the EXACT opposite of what you're describing. His message throughout last summer and the entire season was about being tough and playing defense. After every loss and victory he spoke about defense. After a certain point you have to put some blame on the players or atleast admit how limited they are. We had a roster of random players who knew they likely wouldn't be back. They weren't invested in the team's future, they were just trying to make an NBA roster anywhere they could. People are just wayyyy more forgiving of players than coaches.

Byron hasn't had a fair chance to succeed here yet. Let's get the roster in order first and then determine how far he's able to take them. No coach would've won more games with last years roster. In fact all we did was P&M about how much he was winning and how hard the team was playing. Now imagine implementing that culture of grit and determination on a roster that actually has talent on it. He has earned that opportunity imo.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:53 pm    Post subject:

.... To put it another way..... speechless....

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
EmoDias
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject:

What sticks in my mind with Scott was when he was booted out by his own players. Kidd and the rest of the team was cited saying they were tired of Byron's voice even after having all that success. The comment last year was pretty alarming as well. He said something along the line of that he wouldn't want to be down a rabbit hole with his own players.

So where is that player's coach reputation we heard about? You would hope he commands enough respect for a team to buy into the system. I am worried that Byron's ego is bigger than his actual coaching skills or intangibles. He needs a reality check, not just a paycheck. By the time he tries to catch up to modern day bball it would already be too late.

Having said that, I'm quite the optimist. If Scott could use the Princeton to advocate ball movement and the team buys into it, we might struggle with it at first, but it might pay dividends later down the line. He should know tho, that implementing such a complex system to so many new players will most likely cause the team to start slow, and teams with no identity to start with, might never gain one. The best scenario would be to have the team gain some confidence first playing to their strengths and having them gel and learn each other's tendecies before forcing them to do things they are not ready or comfortable with. But knowing Byron, he will try to play catch up and be indecisive about the system and the rotation and that will be his downfall.

So in essence we shouldn't be complaining too much because deep down we believe this team has enough talent to have a chance to make the playoffs. If we don't then Scott will probably be fired anyways. I don't think they will fire him this year just yet because of the money and just like dantonio, he will get a second season, but not a second chance. Meaning he could take us to the playoffs even and we would still go in another direction. Well at least that's how I feel and I hope the front office will feel the same way ala Steve Kerr via Mark Jackson. It is a sticky situation but let's hope for the best. Go Lakers!
kwase
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Guys, it doesn't matter where Kobe plays. It doesn't matter what style of play Scott will go with. WE ARE NOT A VERY GOOD TEAM! We aren't going to the playoffs. So please, lay off of Scott. It's not his fault we have very little talent on this team. He can only do so much. Taking shots at Scott just makes us as fans come off as a bunch of spoiled, complaining brats. It's like we can't accept the fact that we aren't going to contend for quite some time. I know it's a hard pill to swallow, but it's just going to make for a more painful season if you're expecting this team of Kobe and a bunch of guys who aren't even old enough to buy a drink to make some noise.
laker818fan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject:

how about that....we're still in tank mode...
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:53 pm    Post subject:

I feel slightly better after hearing Coach Dave explain it more, particularly in the context of the Princeton...

I just need BScott not to kill Kobe off By his own admission last season he over-played Kobe even when Kobe said he thought he should do less minutes, and it sounds like BScott is planning to rely on Kobe to be "good ole Kobe" again this season and that's a bit worrisome to me. Please don't kill Kob, Byron!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: