Cop Who Killed During Traffic Stop Charged With Murder
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:10 am    Post subject: Cop Who Killed During Traffic Stop Charged With Murder

Quote:
A police officer who killed a man in Cincinnati during a traffic stop will be charged with murder, the Hamilton County prosecutor said today, noting, "This was the purposeful killing of another person."

"I'm treating him like a murderer," prosecutor Joseph Deters said during a news conference when describing the warrant out for a police officer who killed Samuel Dubose, 43, earlier this month.

Footage released today from a police officer's body cam lasts about 10 minutes and shows the shooting.

“I have been doing this for 30 years," Deters said. "This is the most asinine act I have ever seen a police officer make.”

Deters said he was "shocked" when he saw the video and his heart broke for what the video would mean to the community.

"It's just bad. It's just bad what he did and it shouldn't have happened," Deters said.

The University of Cincinnati canceled classes today as the city braced for the release of video footage showing the shooting of Dubose.

Footage from university police officer Ray Tensing's body cam was released along with the result of the grand jury's investigation. If convicted, Tensing could receive life in prison, Deters said. Deters said there's no evidence race was an issue in the killing, when asked by reporters.

"This guy didn’t deserve to be tased and he certainly didn’t deserve to be shot in the head," Deters said of Dubose.

Dubose was killed during a traffic stop on July 19 near the University of Cincinnati's campus, authorities said, noting that Dubose was stopped because his car did not have a license plate in the front.

Murder Charges
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:12 am    Post subject:

Video Footage of the Murder
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject:

Surprise, surprise, surprise Samuel Dubose was a Black man.

The video went black around the 2:28 mark on my screen. Did it do same on anyone else's?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject:

When will this end....
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject:

lakerjoshua wrote:
When will this end....

Considering that armed traffic control is just a dumb idea to start with, we need to start pressing forward with unmanned traffic control platforms. A large majority of these unarmed civilian being shot by cop incidents occur during what should be routine traffic control interdictions. It's an area that Police have historically proven themselves to be deficient in their ability to carry out basic uniform procedures which are devoid of prejudice and profiling. The technology exists, so it's time to start handing over traffic control responsibilities to unmanned drones.

Unmanned self driving vehicles can be placed at selected locations and monitor traffic with onboard systems which use OCR to scan license plates, scanners to collect driver information, tethered aerial drones to intercept those who would seek to flee (taking their pictures and first conducting facial recognition with the Department of Licensing collection of License photos, and after confirmation, depart the scene of the driver who refuses to stop and collate the data collected to send a driver a summons in the mail.) These vehicles would be infinitely more efficient than live officers in conducting traffic control and code enforcement.

Here is a tethered drone that's already been designed to accomplish most of the necessary tasks of traffic control and code enforcement, and it's already in production:

Skysapience

The platform is also an ideal replacement for metermaids as well. Here in Seattle, we got rid of our individual parking meters years ago. Now there are pay station located a few places on the block and you retrieve a parking sticker to attach to your window which shows an expiration time. They must be placed on the curbside window, which would make it exceedingly easy for a tethered drone to cruise down the sidewalk and scan the ticket - automatically producing a parking ticket for expired sticker and attaching it to the same window.

Alleviating Police Officers of these mundane, routine duties, would allow them to just focus on their real jobs - crime. It would also allow citizens the ability to drive around with more peace of mind. You wouldn't even have to worry about whether or not a cop was in a bad mood, or feeling like a douche on a particular day. Your interactions with the govt would instead just be with a court, or administrative clerk, should you so choose. Cases of profiling, and overzealous police contact, would plummet.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:00 pm    Post subject:

^^^^^^ When my son was a patrol officer in a one man vehicle he stopped a driver for a traffic violation.

After he gave the ticket the driver left, turned around and took a shot at him. I still kid my son, he emptied his clip and didn't hit anything.

Was this guy just traffic control or was a officer on patrol? Police officers should be armed.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
^^^^^^ When my son was a patrol officer in a one man vehicle he stopped a driver for a traffic violation.

After he gave the ticket the driver left, turned around and took a shot at him. I still kid my son, he emptied his clip and didn't hit anything.

Was this guy just traffic control or was a officer on patrol? Police officers should be armed.

The officer was a University Patrol Cop. I'm saying that traffic control and code enforcement is a duty that should be taken away from patrol officers. The technology exists to conduct these operations with an unmanned platform. With an unmanned platform, there would be none of these "Selective" stop some people who are violating some mundane code like "missing front plate" and the like, and not others. An unmanned platform can instantly scan the plate for "stolen" or "expired" (these automated systems already exist and are in use) and then ticket a motorist when necessary. Cops would no longer be in the senseless line of fire, as your son was, and motorists would no longer be in the senseless line of fire, like Mr Dubose was. These infractions would return to just being the routine infraction matters that they should have been all along.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject:

senseless shooting but also senseless to decide to drive away from a cop.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:52 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone have the video from around 2:30 to the end? My screen is black, no audio.

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:04 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Does anyone have the video from around 2:30 to the end? My screen is black, no audio.

Here is an Alternate Video source : CNN Video

This one more clearly shows the moment of the gunshot. The officer tries to open the car door without asking the driver to exit the vehicle. The driver grabs the door and shuts it and Says "I didn't Even Do Nothing". The driver then turns the key to the ignition, but the car does not move. The officer then lunges towards the driver and the driver leans over into the passenger seat. The officer them fires his gun at the drivers head, and THEN the car starts to roll down the street with the dead driver slumped over the wheel.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:11 pm    Post subject:

Here is the full 27 minute video including when the officer first get's behind the car, and the aftermath:

Full Video
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:14 pm    Post subject:

^^^^^ Thanks. I see now he shot Doubose when he took off. The reason he cashed was he expired.

It's my understanding you only shoot a fleeing subject if you think he poses a threat to you or the community. I don't believe Dubose was either.

He may have taken off to avoid a DUI. He had a open gin bottle in the car.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Here is an Alternate Video source : CNN Video

This one more clearly shows the moment of the gunshot. The officer tries to open the car door without asking the driver to exit the vehicle. The driver grabs the door and shuts it and Says "I didn't Even Do Nothing". The driver then turns the key to the ignition, but the car does not move. The officer then lunges towards the driver and the driver leans over into the passenger seat. The officer them fires his gun at the drivers head, and THEN the car starts to roll down the street with the dead driver slumped over the wheel.

I try not to watch these types of videos. thank you for play by play.

pretty messed up. guy was a murderer for sure
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Prosecutors Statements:

Quote:
“It’s an absolute tragedy that anyone would behave in this manner,” Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters said of the officer. “It was senseless. It’s just horrible.

“He purposefully killed him.”

Video from the officer’s body camera shows a routine traffic stop turning suddenly violent when DuBose leans toward the passenger seat and turns his ignition key, starting the car. Tensing then reaches into the car with one hand and, with the other, fires a single shot into DuBose’s head.

DuBose did not appear to be belligerent or aggressive toward the officer before the shot was fired,

Deters, whose office reviews all shootings involving police officers, said he’s never seen a case of such poor policing. Even if DuBose was attempting to drive off, he said, Tensing should have let him go.

“He wasn’t dealing with someone wanted for murder. He was dealing with someone without a front license plate,” Deters said, describing that offense as “chicken crap stuff.”

“Some people want to believe Mr. DuBose did something violent toward the officer,” Deters said. “He did not. He did not at all.”

Quote:
Tensing turned himself in and was booked into the Justice Center on Wednesday afternoon. In addition to the murder charge, he also was indicted on a lesser charge of voluntary manslaughter as an option for jurors during trial.

jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject:

This mother-effer had the audacity to say he was dragged? Thank god for the body cam.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
^^^^^ Thanks. I see now he shot Doubose when he took off. The reason he cashed was he expired.

It's my understanding you only shoot a fleeing subject if you think he poses a threat to you or the community. I don't believe Dubose was either.

He wasn't even fleeing . Guy was probably scared (bleep) to be DWB and after getting shot to death, he had every reason to be.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:17 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
This mother-effer had the audacity to say he was dragged? Thank god for the body cam.

When you watch the full video, it seems like the 2 other UC Officers aren't really buying his story. They refuse to look him in the eye and keep walking away from him. One of them even holds his hand up in a "stop,say no more" motion" and scrunches his face. I couldn't tell if he was:

a) disgusted with the officer or
b) wanted the officer to shut up so he didn't mistakenly say something incriminating

The Officer was likely dragged a couple feet before he freed himself. But it begs the question "WTF was he thinking reaching into the car in the first place?" The driver was being polite and cooperative, and offered up his name to be run for current license status. At the point the officer tried to open the drivers door, there was no discernable arrestable offense. The officer had zero right to attempt to take control of personal property in the manner he did. At the very least, he has to 1st ask the driver to exit the vehicle. He can't just start opening the door like he did.

He'll beat the murder charge, but at least the Prosecutor was smart enough to include the alternative charge of Voluntary Manslaughter. This let's a jury feel like they are not throwing the book at him by convicting him of a lesser charge.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:27 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

He wasn't even fleeing . Guy was probably scared (bleep) to be DWB and after getting shot to death, he had every reason to be.

He was fleeing. He started his car, stepped on the gas and was leaving. He was trying to get away from Tensing. To coin a movie phrase he said to himself "Let's Fled."

Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

He was fleeing. He started his car, stepped on the gas and was leaving. He was trying to get away from Tensing. To coin a movie phrase he said to himself "Let's Fled."

Actually, to be factually correct, it was obvious that he desired to flee, but he never actually got the opportunity. If you watch the video in slow-motion sequence and pause it between 2:11 & 2:14, you can see the same thing the Grand Jury saw.

1) He turns ignition key

2) He puts hand on gear shift

3) He see's gun in officers right hand as the officers left hand reaches across his body.

4) You hear gunshot from officer BEFORE you hear the engine rev.

5) He falls into passenger seat.

6) Car accelerates away

By the sound of the reving engine, it's very likely he was killed instantly by the gunshot to the head. When the gunshot occurred, the car was not moving, nor was the engine revved. The grand jury likely drew the conclusion that the gunshot caused his body to go limp and with his foot resting at the ready on the accelerator, the dead weight caused the continued uninterrupted acceleration down the street until the telephone pole stopped him. His foot was still full on the accelerator by the time the officers caught up to the vehicle, as evidenced by the rhytmic revving of the engine (that's the sound of an engine redlining and hitting it's governor)

The reason they are going after a murder charge is because the shot occurred before any potential "Dragging" could take place ie, the officer wasn't in eminent danger WHEN he squeezed the trigger. The squeezing of the trigger is what precipitated the runaway car. (Even though it's obvious that Mr Dubose was thinking about fleeing - he still had an opportunity to gain a moment of sanity and decide not to. He never got that opportunity.
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject:

They need to start charging all of these bastards with whatever they would charge a citizen for committing the same acts. If it's assault, charge them with assault. If it's murder, charge them with murder. Don't allow them to use excuses to wiggle their way out of crimes. Their jobs shouldn't be the biggest thing at risk.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:31 pm    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Actually, to be factually correct, it was obvious that he desired to flee, but he never actually got the opportunity. If you watch the video in slow-motion sequence and pause it between 2:11 & 2:14, you can see the same thing the Grand Jury saw.

1) He turns ignition key

2) He puts hand on gear shift

3) He see's gun in officers right hand as the officers left hand reaches across his body.

4) You hear gunshot from officer BEFORE you hear the engine rev.

5) He falls into passenger seat.

6) Car accelerates away

By the sound of the reving engine, it's very likely he was killed instantly by the gunshot to the head. When the gunshot occurred, the car was not moving, nor was the engine revved. The grand jury likely drew the conclusion that the gunshot caused his body to go limp and with his foot resting at the ready on the accelerator, the dead weight caused the continued uninterrupted acceleration down the street until the telephone pole stopped him. His foot was still full on the accelerator by the time the officers caught up to the vehicle, as evidenced by the rhytmic revving of the engine (that's the sound of an engine redlining and hitting it's governor)

The reason they are going after a murder charge is because the shot occurred before any potential "Dragging" could take place ie, the officer wasn't in eminent danger WHEN he squeezed the trigger. The squeezing of the trigger is what precipitated the runaway car. (Even though it's obvious that Mr Dubose was thinking about fleeing - he still had an opportunity to gain a moment of sanity and decide not to. He never got that opportunity.

I thought I heard someone say "I'm hit" twice. If that was Dubose he didn't die instantly.

Gwyn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject:

That cop was extremely fast on the trigger.

I don't understand why people insist on (bleep) with cops.

Just (bleep) do what they say, or you risk losing your life.

That moron (bleep) up the moment he turned on the ignition.

And to those who say that driver wasn't a risk if he got away. Idiots who are being chased by cops in cars aren't the most rational or careful people. They are only thinking about getting away, not about any bystanders who may be around.

God bless Kobe Bean Bryant and Gianna Maria Onore Bryant.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:01 pm    Post subject:

Gwyn wrote:
That cop was extremely fast on the trigger.

I don't understand why people insist on (bleep) with cops.

Just (bleep) do what they say, or you risk losing your life.

That moron (bleep) up the moment he turned on the ignition.

And to those who say that driver wasn't a risk if he got away. Idiots who are being chased by cops in cars aren't the most rational or careful people. They are only thinking about getting away, not about any bystanders who may be around.

Are you arguing that this shooting was justified?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject:

With the bodycam: murder charge

Without the bodycam: officer was attacked and feared for his life, suspect reached for officer's gun

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:45 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
With the bodycam: murder charge

Without the bodycam: officer was attacked and feared for his life, suspect reached for officer's gun

The body cam is going to be a game changer.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: