2016 Olympics with a side of raw sewage....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:36 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
I saw only one American flag raised for the American women who swept the 100 meter hurdles. Did they raise three, gold, silver and bronze.

I just watched the medal ceremony. There were three American flags.

Thanks n-o

Watching the shot put ceremony they raised two American flags.

You had to really be watching closely. The three flags were only visible for less than a second as the cameras mainly focused on the athletes who were all pretty women BTW. If you hadn't said anything I probably wouldn't have noticed the flags.
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject:

It wasn't exactly an easy tournament, but the Not-So-Dream Team has clawed and scratched it's way to the Gold Medal Game with a 6 point win over Spain.

Quote:
Spain will leave another Olympics without a gold medal in men’s basketball, and the improving U.S. is in great shape to win gold again.

Klay Thompson scored 22 points and Kevin Durant had 14 points as the U.S. defeated Spain 82-76 Friday in the semifinals.

The Americans can win their third consecutive gold and extend their eight-year dominance in international basketball with a victory Sunday against the winner of the second semifinal between Australia-Serbia later Friday.

I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:04 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Insane Bolt is the GOAT

Whipped the competition by two meters and said he could've run faster if he had someone to push him.

Supposedly, this is Bolt's last Olympics so tonight's 4x100m should be epic.

I don't know how much he would decline in four years but he's so far ahead of the competition right now. He'll only be 32 in 2020. If Gatlin can still be competitive at 34 why couldn't he?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:48 pm    Post subject:

The fact Team USA can't even get a bronze because they got DQ'ed from the relay just shows how far they have fallen in track and field in the 100m and 200m competitions.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:08 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The fact Team USA can't even get a bronze because they got DQ'ed from the relay just shows how far they have fallen in track and field in the 100m and 200m competitions.

and they just got through showing that montage clip of all the past Olympic flubs in the men's 4x100m. I thought Tyson Gay messed up on his handoff but it wouldn't have mattered either way. Once Bolt turned on the jets it was over. It's awesome to see a race so close at 50m become a blowout by 100m. Congrats to Japan on taking the silver. That was impressive.

The whole world's been in Usain Bolt's wake for the last 12 years. Maybe now that he's retiring the U.S. men can get back to the top.

Congrats to the women on their 4x100m gold medal
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:13 pm    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

and they just got through showing that montage clip of all the past Olympic flubs in the men's 4x100m. I thought Tyson Gay messed up on his handoff but it wouldn't have mattered either way. Once Bolt turned on the jets it was over. It's awesome to see a race so close at 50m become a blowout by 100m. Congrats to Japan on taking the silver. That was impressive.

The whole world's been in Usain Bolt's wake for the last 12 years. Maybe now that he's retiring the U.S. men can get back to the top.

Thing is Jamaica is the power in the 100m and 200m not just because of Usain Bolt. You look at their sprinters and they have dominated the last 2-3 Olympics, both on the men's and women's side.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:34 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Thing is Jamaica is the power in the 100m and 200m not just because of Usain Bolt. You look at their sprinters and they have dominated the last 2-3 Olympics, both on the men's and women's side.

Outside of Bolt, Jamaica only dominated the 100m and 200m individual Olympic events back in 2012. Yohan Blake, who won silver in both events in London, didn't medal in either event this time around.

With Asafa Powell well into his 30s and especially without Bolt as the anchor leg, that 4x100 relay team won't be as powerful. Both the U.S. and Japan were right there with the Jamaicans until that last 50m where Bolt is unbeatable.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 5:39 am    Post subject:

DQ or not, the US men 4 x 100 should not have lost to Japan. We have the best track and field programs in the world from NCAA to US national team. Kudos to Japan for getting silver and Jamaica for dominating
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject:

it seems as if the US does not practice relays nearly enough. Mistakes has been burning them for the last couple of Olympics yet they still keep messing up on relays. And some of these runners are only in 2 events so its not like they are being stretched thin on time to dedicate to it.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:26 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
numero-ocho wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Yep, I think it's cultural. Spicy jerk chicken gives me the runs too.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject:

Wow what a free kick by Neymar.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Wow what a setup by Germany to tie the game.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Brazil wins on PK's, 5-4 with Neymar scoring the tiebreaker.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Experience wins it for Brazil; would've been riots had they lost the olympic gold after losing the world cup on home soil.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:37 pm    Post subject:

NBC is really milking that Ryan Lochte story because they showed an indepth interview in Primetime, and even better they had a teaser that there were more answers on the Today Show....
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
NBC is really milking that Ryan Lochte story because they showed an indepth interview in Primetime, and even better they had a teaser that there were more answers on the Today Show....

Somebody on here (I forget who) said it perfectly: NBC gears its Olympics programming for non-sports fans.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

So sick of hearing about this a-hole. Hopefully, this was the last time he'll represent the U.S. and he'll fade into obscurity.

There's been so many other great athletic achievement stories for Americans to take away from this Olympics. The U.S. women's 4x400m team blew the competition away last night to take their sixth consecutive Olympic gold medal and Allyson Felix becomes the all-time gold medal leader in women's track and field. Matt Centrowitz win's the gold medal for the U.S. in the 1500m for the first time in 108 years.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject:

This is a really cool form of protest. The Mongolian wrestling coaches threw their clothes at the officials for their decision that favored the Uzbeks:

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/767421220094615553/photo/1
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
This is a really cool form of protest. The Mongolian wrestling coaches threw their clothes at the officials for their decision that favored the Uzbeks:

That video of it was awesome.

Protest in drawers

They were really pissed off and I can't blame theme.

Maybe they didn't need to strip down to their drawers, but damn! LOL

Seeing it with the British commentary made it all the more funny of a specticle.

Bye.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:22 pm    Post subject:

John Williams' Olympic theme >>>>>>>> Actual Olympic theme

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:42 pm    Post subject:

NBC's Primetime coverage sucks, but they do some good editing for the closing credits....the closing montage really captures the essence of the games.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:04 am    Post subject:

Was watching the closing ceremonies and one of the NBC commentators said something like "Tokyo is probably ready to host the Olympics today," which was a subtle shot at Rio and Brazil. I didn't think that was fair.

Considering the state of the country, they did a pretty good job. It could have been much worse.

Looking at the medal table, if you take into account all the athletes that weren't allowed to compete, Russia had a bunch of medals. I have to say that Brazil is not a great sports nation, besides volleyball and soccer. 19 medals is weak for such a huge country and with a homefield advantage. Hungary had more gold medals.

I've always said this: the Olympics should be at least three weeks long, preferably a month. There's nothing else going on and it would give people more time to enjoy more sports, but there are probably good reasons why it's only two weeks.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:04 am    Post subject:

gumby wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:

That video of it was awesome.

Protest in drawers

They were really pissed off and I can't blame theme.

Maybe they didn't need to strip down to their drawers, but damn! LOL

Seeing it with the British commentary made it all the more funny of a specticle.

Bye.

I loved the video. The commentators describing an absurd scene with unflappable, detached accents reminded me of the South Park's Canadian Royal Wedding:

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:29 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Was watching the closing ceremonies and one of the NBC commentators said something like "Tokyo is probably ready to host the Olympics today," which was a subtle shot at Rio and Brazil. I didn't think that was fair.

Considering the state of the country, they did a pretty good job. It could have been much worse.

Looking at the medal table, if you take into account all the athletes that weren't allowed to compete, Russia had a bunch of medals. I have to say that Brazil is not a great sports nation, besides volleyball and soccer. 19 medals is weak for such a huge country and with a homefield advantage. Hungary had more gold medals.

I've always said this: the Olympics should be at least three weeks long, preferably a month. There's nothing else going on and it would give people more time to enjoy more sports, but there are probably good reasons why it's only two weeks.

It should be 3 weeks already....they already play soccer before the Opening Ceremonies. The problem with Olympics is that too many events occur in that span of 2 weeks, and the more obscure sports end up with zero coverage as evidenced by NBC. I was watching NBC Primetime and this year we saw at most 5 minutes of coverage of indoor cyling. And with the IOC adding even more sports for the next Olympics, they will probably need to find more channels to air those sports.
I have to admit Brazil did a pretty decent job considering what they were faced with. Dealing with one of the highest crime rates in the world, water pollution, and holding the Olympics in the worst Brazil in decades and the worst press they got was the Ryan Lochte story?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject:

I think 2 weeks works out as a perfect amount of time to fit all the games sensibly into a single event. Many athletes stay for the entire event and the hosting City somewhat on lock down during the Olympics. Do it for much longer and I'd imagine many more athletes will bail out before the closing ceremony and locals would lose patience of having to give up their city for so long.
Going forward it looks like internet streaming will be the way to go to catch coverage of non-primetime sports.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10
Jump to: